Anthropology Acceptance Stats

phyanth

For those of you looking for something to do, here is a link to Peterson's that have most of the PhD schools for anthropology. Most of the schools include the number of applications they received, along with how many people they accepted. Granted, the top schools may be admitting a lot of the same people, but the statistics could be worse! How do your schools fare? :P A lot of mine hovered right around 20% to 25%. 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 isn't TOO terrible. Just terrifying. 

https://www.petersons.com/search/schools?searchtype=26&page=1&result=50&criteria=4-majors:anthropology;12-degreeTypes:doctorate

If I am not mistaken, these statistics take into account the total number of grad applications the department has received per given year, at both the doctoral and master's level (some departments offer more than one graduate program). I know that UMass Amherst offers a terminal Master's program, so perhaps these statistics reflect applications for the Master's program as well.

There's a reason many people take two cycles to find a decent offer - there's lots of competition, especially for programs that fully fund all their students.  When I applied last year, the DGS at the program I ended up at told me they received about 75 applications.  They accepted six people, and we ended up with a cohort of four people.  Ultimately, I think it's best not to think about the numbers game and just try to control what you can control.  You will get the right offer if you keep at it!

Yes, I agree. I am not relying on this page alone for my chances  :). I do find it interesting though especially knowing Berkeley is keen on selecting a few students that all faculty can work and consult with.

@bma Yes, Amherst does have a terminal master as does Stanford. Moreover, Amherst at one time had an MA-PhD track program. It's not explicitly stated on the website anymore, so I'm not sure if it still exists.