Too late to contact POI?

Neurophilic

I applied to four schools, one of which I have very little interest in attending, but applied to increase my chances of admission. With that, I decided not to contact any POIs for this school. I'm beginning to regret this decision and am wondering if contacting a POI this late in the application process is essentially too late? 

Thanks in advance!

I'd say it's too late, but don't worry about it. I didn't reach out to the PoI of my TOP SCHOOL (why? I have no idea. Dumb dumb dumb). But the PoI reached out to me to let me know I'm a strong candidate, and invited me to the formal onsite interview for the program. Try to be patient :)

Id advise against contacting the POI now. I made the poor choice of contacting a POI after I had already expressed interest a month or so prior, late in the application cycle because I got antsy and impatient and I know it really reflected poorly on me. Try to hang in there! Rooting for you

7 minutes ago, pataka said:

I'd say it's too late, but don't worry about it. I didn't reach out to the PoI of my TOP SCHOOL (why? I have no idea. Dumb dumb dumb). But the PoI reached out to me to let me know I'm a strong candidate, and invited me to the formal onsite interview for the program. Try to be patient :)

Thanks so much! This definitely helped to calm my nerves a little bit.

3 minutes ago, Timemachines said:

Id advise against contacting the POI now. I made the poor choice of contacting a POI after I had already expressed interest a month or so prior, late in the application cycle because I got antsy and impatient and I know it really reflected poorly on me. Try to hang in there! Rooting for you

Why do you think it reflected poorly on you? I'm sure it didn't! It's always such a gray area for me. 

Thank you!

For 2 of the schools I applied to (Northwestern & UW), I didn't contact the POIs (mostly b/c I was a bit slow in actually, you know, getting to the point of actually reading their research) but I still ended up hearing back from UW & being told I'm a strong candidate.

I agree with others... I think it's too late to go back on your choice now. Best of luck!

I contacted two of my POIs to ask about interview updates this past Friday...I got updates from both on the status of things. They didn't seem to mind. 

I contacted one of them prior to application season and the other I did not...however, still got responses on that status of application. 
However, there were responses were to me were a bit different.

I think it's overall two late in the game to introduce yourself but if you want an update about admissions, I would go ahead and contact them. Best of luck!

Edited by hg92

• 1 month later...

I'd say it really depends on different programs. I contacted a POI a week before the deadline and he replied me saying he's very interested in my application (and I got in!). I also contacted another POI well before the deadline (twice!), she never responded (so I decided not to apply for her program). I think it has a lot to do with the competitiveness of the program. If the program is very competitive (like the second program in my case) and your POI receives many applicants every year, you'd better to contact your POI early.

Edited by wnk4242