Rangel or Pickering Fellowship 2019

m7752ne

Hello! I'm starting this topic to connect with people who may be applying for the next cycle of Rangel or Pickering. I currently live in South Korea and I work a lot which is why I'm starting really early. Where are you in the process?

Hello, @m7752ne!

I'm not sure you'll get a lot of traffic here right now for next year's applications. But if you'd like, there's a topic about this years applications where you might find more perspectives and advice: 

• 1 month later...

Hello! 
My name is Julius. Hope that you are doing well.

You know, it's funny, I was actually just about to start this exact thread when I saw that you had already done it. That's awesome! 

Well, we certainly are ahead in the process (I'm out working in Ukraine which is why I'm doing it early), but I'd love to discuss it if you'd care to bounce ideas off of each other. 

Hi Julius I'm Monica! 

I'm good I hope you are doing well. I would love to discuss and share ideas with you. I want to start as early as possible as well since I'm in Korea. What's the best way to contact you? I was thinking maybe we could use email, whatsapp, or maybe a google doc to chat and share resources such as study material, tips, etc? What do you think?

• 2 months later...

Hey All! 

I'm Emily, also living abroad currently serving as a Peace Corps volunteer in Malawi. Also trying to get a head start, and would love to be a part of any groups or communications you guys have already started. Whatsapp would be best for me, as I live in a village in the middle of nowhere without reliable internet connection.

Edited by kunokuparadise

• 1 month later...

I had recently decided that the Rangel deadline was too close and I would only apply for the Pickering Fellowship.....only to find out that the Pickering Fellowship was acquired by Howard and is now also due in September (source). I want to cry. 

11 hours ago, ayasofaya said:

I had recently decided that the Rangel deadline was too close and I would only apply for the Pickering Fellowship.....only to find out that the Pickering Fellowship was acquired by Howard and is now also due in September (source). I want to cry. 

Yeah I saw this the other day too. Another update is now the GRE is optional for both programs. Was the deadline different last year? 

@m7752ne The Rangel Fellowship has been administered by Howard and has a September deadline. Moving their deadline to September allowed them to start the Washington portion of the requirement in the summer before starting school, allowing the fellows to have all of their requirements fulfilled (save the 5 years of service) before graduation. Because of the timeline of graduate school applications, some applicants would have scheduled their GRE for the late fall or winter, to take advantage of study time. They made the GRE optional for this reason.

The Pickering fellowship was administered by TWC, and had a January deadline. Since you should have taken your exam by then if you were planning to apply for funding, the GRE requirement was reasonable for that time frame.

The real question is, now that both the Pickering and Rangel are BOTH administered, by Howard and have the same application dates, how does this affect the competition of the applicant pool?

@m7752neI'm thinking the number of applicants would be about the same if not less. I'm thinking of others like me who may need the time to prepare their pickering application and now don't have it, or others who may not have even heard the announcement because pickering isn't on their radar until later in the year, and will miss it altogether lol. I think you're going to have an increase in people who use identical essays for both, and since it's the same institution administering both fellowships, the redundancy of this seems so silly. No one is going to apply to one and not the other if you're handing both apps to the same people at the same time.

Edited by ayasofaya

7 hours ago, ayasofaya said:

@m7752neI'm thinking the number of applicants would be about the same if not less. I'm thinking of others like me who may need the time to prepare their pickering application and now don't have it, or others who may not have even heard the announcement because pickering isn't on their radar until later in the year, and will miss it altogether lol. I think you're going to have an increase in people who use identical essays for both, and since it's the same institution administering both fellowships, the redundancy of this seems so silly. No one is going to apply to one and not the other if you're handing both apps to the same people at the same time.

Yeah that's very true I plan on applying for both now. I wonder if it's the same committee for both programs.

• 4 weeks later...

I was thinking about submitting the same applications for both. I mean, you are the same person after all. I was thinking about maybe submitting two different statements of purpose for each fellowship.  Of course, I still have my reservations about doing this since they're both coming out of the same place. Still ruminating on it for the next couple weeks. What do you all think about submitting identical applications for both?

I haven't opened the portal yet for this year but from what I remember from last year they asked identical or nearly identical questions. At the risk of oversimplifying, if they ask the same questions, I will write the same responses. I simply wouldn't have any guidelines to be able to discern what should be different/better fitted for each if they have the same selection criteria. From what I understand, Howard and TWC had different unspoken and internal ways of reading applications, but it's hard to tell the differences if the published information is going to be similar. At least in the past, with the different deadlines, if you didn't get the Rangel you could revise in the effort to make it "better" for Pickering, but even that doesn't pan out with the current timeline.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I'm also working on my application for both the Pickering & Rangel Fellowship. Both fellowships are now administered by Howard University. In case anyone missed it, an information session was held (for advisors) which explain more about the programs. You can watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGnu-Es_Ixw. Your applications can be exactly the same for both programs, provided you don't mix up Pickering for Rangel and vice versa.

Edited by safal

10 hours ago, Theevidentevaluator said:

How are your applications going? Finalizing my statements of purpose today, they are mostly the same except that I include a section in my Rangel statement about how a Hill internship would benefit me. 

My apps seem to be going fine I just got my letters of rec in this week so I'm finished with everything. Now time to start on grad school apps. 

Hi all,

For those of you that have been out of school for a few years, what are you doing about the SAR report? I didn't file the 2018-19 FAFSA because applying to this cycle of the Pickering and Rangel, we would begin in the 2019-20 academic year. I obviously don't want to leave this until the last minute, so any insight would be appreciated!

Hello everyone! 

I am late to this. I need help with one issue. I answered no to the question: do you know the name of the graduate school you will attend in the fall 2019. Is this going to work against me? I plan to apply to at least three schools. 

Good luck to all of us! 

1 minute ago, yucateco said:

Hello everyone! 

I am late to this. I need help with one issue. I answered no to the question: do you know the name of the graduate school you will attend in the fall 2019. Is this going to work against me? I plan to apply to at least three schools. 

Good luck to all of us! 

I guess I need to clarify something. My question is: are we required to have applied to schools by the September 17 deadline?

@yucateco Nope! Just list the programs you plan on applying for. I got an application fee waiver for a few schools last year so my list changed a bit by the time apps rolled around. This is okay. There should be a separate place to list prospective schools after you hit no.

Edited by ayasofaya

On 8/22/2018 at 2:29 PM, ayasofaya said:

@yucateco Nope! Just list the programs you plan on applying for. I got an application fee waiver for a few schools last year so my list changed a bit by the time apps rolled around. This is okay. There should be a separate place to list prospective schools after you hit no.

Thank you very much @ayasofaya