MFA Creative Writing

Ckoh

3 hours ago, Tyedyedturtle91 said:

No, radio silence. I emailed on March 6, asking if a status update were possible or if they knew the rough timeline. I was told that they were hoping to finalize and communicate decisions by the end of March. I don't know how to feel about Guelph. Didn't they notify some poetry peeps already? I'm getting very anxious. Want to believe this means we're all still in the running for fiction, but can't help but be a bit negative at this point. Ugh... I really love their program.

Are you referencing the one result on the Grad Cafe results page? That one looks weird to me. It's from mid-Feb and the way it talks about the program ("offered $27,500 in funding") doesn't really seem like the way the program works--there's the Constance Rooke scholarship, covering 2/3 of tuition, which all MFA candidates get, and then there are other merit- and need-based scholarships. So I'm just gonna assume that post is some sort of glitch and ignore it, hah.

I applied for this program last year as well and didn't get in, but I didn't find out until early April, so I think we're still within the reasonable timeframe for responses. Good luck!!

37 minutes ago, teb said:

Are you referencing the one result on the Grad Cafe results page? That one looks weird to me. It's from mid-Feb and the way it talks about the program ("offered $27,500 in funding") doesn't really seem like the way the program works--there's the Constance Rooke scholarship, covering 2/3 of tuition, which all MFA candidates get, and then there are other merit- and need-based scholarships. So I'm just gonna assume that post is some sort of glitch and ignore it, hah.

I applied for this program last year as well and didn't get in, but I didn't find out until early April, so I think we're still within the reasonable timeframe for responses. Good luck!!

Yes, I believe that is what I saw! I also thought it seemed weird, but hey, maybe they got a killer additional scholarship, lol. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Hoping and praying it is a glitch! Fingers crossed. Good luck on your application!

1 hour ago, Tyedyedturtle91 said:

Yes, I believe that is what I saw! I also thought it seemed weird, but hey, maybe they got a killer additional scholarship, lol. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Hoping and praying it is a glitch! Fingers crossed. Good luck on your application!

Thanks, hope to see you there this fall!

On 3/12/2018 at 2:06 AM, Ckoh said:

@MisterMambo1990 nice going!!

I heard back from two places and got rejected. I’m waiting on 3 others, but I’m really nervous because it seems other people were accepted over a week ago and I assume that means I’m not...

Hey,

Don't be discouraged. I was discouraged when Ohio State rejected me, but the schools that matter are the ones that say "yes." Don't ever forget that. Perseverance is key.

On 3/23/2018 at 1:51 PM, teb said:

Got my rejection from the Guelph MFA this morning. Nooo diiice.

Yeah, me too. I was pretty bummed about this one. I loved the sounds of their program. But the rejection email was very kind and genuine, which I appreciated. Now just waiting to be rejected by Boston University and Purdue, lol.

• 9 months later...

If anyone wants to throw their hat in for one last minute school option, consider applying to Western Kentucky University. The program is fully funded, two years, and the deadline to apply is February 1st. It's a younger program that really focuses on giving you employment options post-graduation while you develop your writing skills. Right now, I'm getting my MFA and a secondary in TESL. Not too late!