Acceptances?

lydibird

I guess now is about the time to ask- who have you heard back from?

Most of the programs I applied to had late deadlines so I don't expect to hear anything for another couple weeks, but I've been accepted to University of Michigan. I'm just waiting on everyone else, and of course, to hear about funding. I know there isn't much funding out there for MLS and MLIS programs, but a girl can hope, right? I'm really hoping to be given a university library associate position at UMich, but it's pretty competitive so I'm just not sure.

I've only heard back from San Jose State - my safety school. The only requirement there is a certain GPA, so I knew I'd get in. I'm waiting for Rutgers, I want to go there.

When I applied to MLIS programs, I wasn't sure what kind of Librarian I would want to be, now that I have done my homework, I think I'd like to go the School Library Media route. Unfortunately, I don't expect to hear back from any of my other schools until mid-March, even the two History PhD programs I applied to. Rutgers has an awesome SLMS program, so I'm on pins and needles waiting to hear something.

I guess now is about the time to ask- who have you heard back from?

Most of the programs I applied to had late deadlines so I don't expect to hear anything for another couple weeks, but I've been accepted to University of Michigan. I'm just waiting on everyone else, and of course, to hear about funding. I know there isn't much funding out there for MLS and MLIS programs, but a girl can hope, right? I'm really hoping to be given a university library associate position at UMich, but it's pretty competitive so I'm just not sure.

I've applied to 4 Library Science programs (in addition to 6 PhD programs). Michigan, UT-Austin, North Texas, and Syracuse.

I got a yes back from Michigan the last week in January, but am still waiting on funding. I'm applied to the ULA program as well. It is a long shot, but sounds like such an awesome program. They also extended the deadline, which makes me wonder if they didn't get as many applicants as they normally do?

I've only heard back from San Jose State - my safety school. The only requirement there is a certain GPA, so I knew I'd get in. I'm waiting for Rutgers, I want to go there.

When I applied to MLIS programs, I wasn't sure what kind of Librarian I would want to be, now that I have done my homework, I think I'd like to go the School Library Media route. Unfortunately, I don't expect to hear back from any of my other schools until mid-March, even the two History PhD programs I applied to. Rutgers has an awesome SLMS program, so I'm on pins and needles waiting to hear something.

I was going to apply to Rutgers when I first began considering MLIS programs; my dad went there for a while. I'm not entirely sure why I changed my mind. The waiting game stinks, doesn't it? I just want to know what I'm doing next year. I'm obsessive about planning, so not knowing just kills me. I hope I hear back from everyone before mid-March though.

And I really need to figure out how to pay for campus visits. :/

I'm applied to the ULA program as well. It is a long shot, but sounds like such an awesome program. They also extended the deadline, which makes me wonder if they didn't get as many applicants as they normally do?

Yeah, that's what I thought when I first heard. Especially since they extended it after the deadline had passed. Do you think we get bonus points if we applied by the first deadline? :P

Yeah, that's what I thought when I first heard. Especially since they extended it after the deadline had passed. Do you think we get bonus points if we applied by the first deadline? :P

oOoOH! i sure hope so!

i do wonder what they are looking for primarily for the ULA program. do you have lots of experience working in a library setting?

i do wonder what they are looking for primarily for the ULA program. do you have lots of experience working in a library setting?

Nope. Nada. I'm a biochemistry major involved in research. I decided about a year ago I wanted to be a university librarian, but by that point all the positions in my university library for this school year had been filled (Really? 8 months in advance?). I'm hoping my research experience will give me bonus points for the health sciences library, and I did get a glowing LOR from a librarian who works in my university library. We'll see. I'm trying not to be too hopeful, especially since they weren't clear on what successful applicants would look like. Still, how nice would it be to have a masters completely paid for?

I'm still waiting to hear back from everywhere, but I know Indiana has started sending out acceptances already... Also, Illinois told me they were waiting until mid-March to send out acceptances. No word from Maryland or Missouri.

I hope you hear something soon! I'm sending you good vibes.

Got accepted at Rutgers today via the website. Waiting on some sort of official correspondence, though!

Congrats! It's such a relief to be in somewhere that you are excited to go, isn't it?

Edited by lydibird

I was accepted to UCLA's MLIS program last week... now I'm waiting on University of Washington and UNC Chapel Hill. I'm also considering applying to Long Island University because they have a dual degree program with NYU, so I could earn a master's in public history at the same time that I earn my MLIS.

I'm in a different boat to others here seeing as I am applying from Europe. Only applied to UBC and should find out in the next 2/3 weeks. I've a place in Ireland i think if I wish to stay at home and would probably get into the place in Wales if I go for that but think a change would be interesting.

Mcgill's library science department said that they passed my application onto the Graduate Committee for review, apparently, they have to make the final decision. But the nice lady in the department said that they "Don't Forsee Any problems".

naturally, I'm excited. :D

Congrats on getting into McGill ^^ They were my first choice, but I talked to a lady on the phone on Monday who said I wouldn't be getting an offer due to limited space. I did get accepted to Dalhousie though (and I only applied to the two) so I guess that's where I'm going! lol

They officially accepted me!

Problem: I need to give my official acceptance by March 18th...I won't hear from any of my other schools until the end of the month! McGill is probably my #1 choice, but I would like to at least know my other options...

...think I can pressure Madison, Mizzou, or Austin to give me the results ahead of time? Waiting until April seems a little silly.

They officially accepted me!

Problem: I need to give my official acceptance by March 18th...I won't hear from any of my other schools until the end of the month! McGill is probably my #1 choice, but I would like to at least know my other options...

...think I can pressure Madison, Mizzou, or Austin to give me the results ahead of time? Waiting until April seems a little silly.

So you haven't heard for Mizzou either? Did they tell you they wouldn't decide until April? I was planning to call and ask on Monday...

So you haven't heard for Mizzou either? Did they tell you they wouldn't decide until April? I was planning to call and ask on Monday...

Yeah, I am writing them a letter, basically saying "I've been accepted to lots of schools, some are giving me money, you have one week to comply".

I know exactly what you're talking about. I can't stand this waiting because I just want to know something so I can go ahead and plan what I'm doing for next year. Have you heard back from any more of the schools you've applied to?

I was going to apply to Rutgers when I first began considering MLIS programs; my dad went there for a while. I'm not entirely sure why I changed my mind. The waiting game stinks, doesn't it? I just want to know what I'm doing next year. I'm obsessive about planning, so not knowing just kills me. I hope I hear back from everyone before mid-March though.

And I really need to figure out how to pay for campus visits. :/

well, I've been accepted to a few of these places, but no one is offering me a cent of funding of any kind. Be real with me people, is library sciences worth it if it costs 15,000 dollars a year? Honestly, I had know idea it would be this expensive, I suppose I should have done my research :(

well, it's kind of a slap in the face to get these wonderful acceptances, but know that I won't be able to afford it. What are the odds that Austin, Madison, or Mizzou will give me funding?

I don't want to spend next year painting houses.

Edited by theodidactus

My spouse was accepted at UBC, U of Alberta, and Western Ontario. He will probably be attending UBC's SLAIS program -- anyone else? :)

Just curious when your husband found out about UBC? I have several friends who've applied to their MLIS program and haven't heard anything, yay or nay.

But congratulations!! I am at SLAIS right now and LOVE it!

Edited by ir720

ir720, would you be able to forward any info or insights about SLAIS/UBC should i need any. Theyve said that they will inform accepted applicants by e-mail within 6 weeks of the deadline. That's next Tuesday so here's hoping.