What are you doing for Valentine's Day?

HyacinthMacaw

Hey folks,

Just thought it would be cool to start this thread about our plans for V-Day. I'm single, but if I had a girlfriend I would cook breakfast, lunch, and dinner for her as best I could, then present her with the result of my foray into woodworking. Not really into the whole roses and jewelry thing. Yeah, you can tell it's been a while since I've celebrated Valentine's Day with someone.

By the way, I was reminded the other day about how seldom we practice self-compassion, and I think V-Day is a great opportunity for singles to do this rather than wallow in drunken self-pity. Maybe we can reward ourselves for our hard work during the application season, i.e. avoid being so hard on ourselves. Maybe we can participate in our favorite activities and go out of our way to, as I like to put it, accumulate positive emotions, self-soothe, and let go of harsh judgments about ourselves. Loving ourselves sounds corny, but I really think it's the foundation for a happier life.

let's all (of us who are still single) pray to the valentine god on this year's valentine day that we find our valentine in grad school. (the hidden message here is that the valentine god will first have to make sure that we get in into grad school. and on top of that, he has to find a valentine for us once we get in. one shot, two kills. not shabby, eh?)

For me, Valentine's day is not a holiday or anything special at all. It's really more of an American tradition, I think.

I'm going to the ballet with some friends. But not because of Valentine's day, but because we got very cheap tickets since it's monday. I'm really looking forward to it

But still... I know the whole Valentine's crazyness only from TV and I often wonder: Is it really like that in the US? Then I think I will lock myself in my closet on February 14th next year :blink:

I received an acceptance letter from my "first" school this week but have not told her that I will leave for the US during the summer. She is away with her family over the weekend and I didn't want to spoil that for her.

Have a bottle of Dom Pérignon (2000) chilled which really was meant to celebrate grad school admissions. That and then dinner. And then I'll break the news on Tuesday or something.. Gah.

Edited by encephalization

That doesn't sound too good. Do you plan on having a long-distance relationship?

For us Fulbrighters, there are two rules (and we were notified of them already at the first meeting):

1. Don't fall in love.

2. Don't get the job of a lifetime.

Also, many fellow Fulbrighters who were in a relationship when they heard that they were accepted, had to make a decision between either breaking up or getting married and moving to the US together. I'm so glad I was single at that time and didn't have to worry about things like that. But it must be hard...

On V-day itself I'll have class and work, but my LD boyfriend (4.5 years, LDR for 3.5) is here for the weekend so it's an extended celebration just to be together in person. I bought him tickets to a Finnish metal concert and he bought me a Viking sword hilted umbrella...aren't we just perfect for each other? :P

That doesn't sound too good. Do you plan on having a long-distance relationship?

For us Fulbrighters, there are two rules (and we were notified of them already at the first meeting):

1. Don't fall in love.

2. Don't get the job of a lifetime.

Also, many fellow Fulbrighters who were in a relationship when they heard that they were accepted, had to make a decision between either breaking up or getting married and moving to the US together. I'm so glad I was single at that time and didn't have to worry about things like that. But it must be hard...

I've always seen myself as a hopeless romantic and at one stage I was probably open to accepting a less interesting offer. However, the whole application process has put some tension into the relationship and well.. I think for the last couple of months I've been (unconsciously) tested her to see if it is really worth it. Harsh as it may sound, I do not think it is.

A long-distance relationship is not an option for me.

I'm in a (sort of) long-distance relationship, and we couldn't swing a visit this weekend, so we'll be Skyping.

Encephalization: That's too bad :( It must be tough having to come to that decision. For me and my boyfriend, it's kind of the opposite: We're long-distance right now, but when he goes to grad school, I'll be going with him. Since I don't really have concrete plans for after undergrad, I decided I'd rather move far away and be with him than stay here and not be with him. I hope things work out for the best for you!

I've decided to not to do anything big with my girlfriend on Valentine's Day itself. But I have a campus visit on the 28th and instead of going and shacking up for the night with a current grad student, I decided to splurge and get a hotel room so she could go with me and so I could finally propose to her. We've been together almost six years and have two kids together, so we're effectively married. She's been waiting for the real thing (read: ring) for too long, and now acceptance to my top choice means I now have future prospects worthy of marriage.

Hey folks,

Just thought it would be cool to start this thread about our plans for V-Day. I'm single, but if I had a girlfriend I would cook breakfast, lunch, and dinner for her as best I could, then present her with the result of my foray into woodworking. Not really into the whole roses and jewelry thing. Yeah, you can tell it's been a while since I've celebrated Valentine's Day with someone.

Can I be your valentine???

let's all (of us who are still single) pray to the valentine god on this year's valentine day that we find our valentine in grad school. (the hidden message here is that the valentine god will first have to make sure that we get in into grad school. and on top of that, he has to find a valentine for us once we get in. one shot, two kills. not shabby, eh?)

You know, it will probably happen to a lot of us. Think of it, we are surrounded by quality, intelligent people who share our interests and passion for learning. In a way, the admissions committee has already weeded out the people we wouldn't be interested in tongue.gif

Encephalization: That's too bad :( It must be tough having to come to that decision. For me and my boyfriend, it's kind of the opposite: We're long-distance right now, but when he goes to grad school, I'll be going with him. Since I don't really have concrete plans for after undergrad, I decided I'd rather move far away and be with him than stay here and not be with him. I hope things work out for the best for you!

Thank you.

She wants/wanted to come with me but would most likely not get a VISA and even if she did she would not be able to work. My 14K/yr GA would not support us both in the long run and I would also have felt bad taking her away from her family. Then again, if she was the "right" one I would have stayed. I take comfort that this was just not meant to be.

Best of luck to you. If you both are that commited, a big hurdle has been passed.

natsteel-She won't suspect anything I'm sure!! How long have you had the ring for? And yes, she's getting a trophy husband. :P

Hmm..fortunately V-Day isn't big at all here where I am so I most likely will forget about it until I get home from movies and drinks with friends and see all the FB statuses "Happy <3 Day!" Then I'll probably run out and get some chocolates.

Unless I hear an acceptance, then I'll run out and scream!

I've decided to not to do anything big with my girlfriend on Valentine's Day itself. But I have a campus visit on the 28th and instead of going and shacking up for the night with a current grad student, I decided to splurge and get a hotel room so she could go with me and so I could finally propose to her. We've been together almost six years and have two kids together, so we're effectively married. She's been waiting for the real thing (read: ring) for too long, and now acceptance to my top choice means I now have future prospects worthy of marriage.

That is incredibly sweet! Best of luck, with both the proposal and your life together.

I'm not a fan of Valentine's Day; I'd rather show my spouse love and respect everyday than be told on one day of the year that we're supposed to treat each other to material things. Sometimes we'll use it as an excuse to cook steaks, because it divides the year evenly into four "special" occasions worthy of expensive meat (two birthdays, one anniversary, and a partridge in a Valentine's tree). We're LD right now and I intended to send him a card, but he would never remember to send me one, and I know from past experience that receiving a card would just make him feel badly.

Hm. I haven't thought much about it. I'm single and while I don't despise the holiday or fall apart on it, it's not a big deal to me. I'll probably eat a cupcake or something and watch a chick flick with my roommates.

Edited by lydibird

This year, I am making V-Day flippin' magical for my significant other. Really, this man is so special. He makes my lunch in the morning before work and leaves me notes in my dinosaur lunch box. He has been so tolerant of my crazy for the past six months, especially that one week when I went on L-theanine for my stress, which only induced further stress, causing me to leave psychotic messages on his voicemail box with stuff like: "What if this had been an emergency? What if my arm had just been blown up and I had to go to the hospital right now... you would have missed this call and I would have bled to death! You are a monster. Why are you not picking up the phone? Come home. I'm hungry." So, I owe him something real special, that is why two weeks ago I went on snapfish and ordered him a coffee mug with my face on it and a hologram bookmark of my angry faces. I will post pictures of these things on my blog after V-day... they are awesome. The mug has two images of my head fused together by MS-paint so it looks like I am a pair of conjoined twins and underneath it reads: "I could not love you more even if I were a pair of conjoined twins with two hearts". Apparently, people don't call them siamese twins anymore... its like how you can't call midgets 'midgets' anymore. Siamese-s are cats.