Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

Thanks oa0176! Maybe I am look for consolation more than advice. I really wanted to go Turkey and I also was looking forward being part of the Fulbright community. In any case, I think I did make the right choice since I have also been working towards a job with the Park Service for many years.

I am sure you have made the right choice, especially if the Park Services is part of your career goals. On the bright side, if you are awarded the grant in the end, you can still add it to your CV and just note declined.

Does anyone know how the alternate status works for SSA? I am an alternate for a full grant to Uganda. Does that mean I am on a list specifically for Uganda and must wait for someone from Uganda to decline their offer, or is there a general list of alternates for all of SSA so if someone going to Kenya declined I could be offered their spot?

Alternate to Morocco! (Full) Keeping positive. Hoping to get it so I can temporarily defer my grad school plans!

Here's to hoping one of us still has a shot! I have another fellowship offer in Palestine but... I mean I really still would do Fulbright if I got it. It's got a grip on me!

Anyone want to bet on us being the absolute last people to hear? Wait. That's a terrible idea.

Can we just hear, puhleeeease? I almost wish I applied to a country that notoriously notifies candidates much earlier on; but then, of course, I wouldn't be going where I want to go, or even to a place relevant to my studies.

I wouldn't be surprised if we were the last to hear, i hope its early May though!

Here's to hoping one of us still has a shot! I have another fellowship offer in Palestine but... I mean I really still would do Fulbright if I got it. It's got a grip on me!

Maybe we'll both get it. At the same time, a fellowship to Palestine is not something you can easily disregard. There's a lot happening in the region and one can't predict what the future there will be. Congrats!

And yes, the vibe I'm getting is the emails come on in the morning, so anything after 3pm EST is a wash for the day.

Nope, Central Asia recommendeds received our emails at about 4:30 pm.

Yeah, I've even noticed a couple people reporting time stamps after business hours EST. They are all across the board, I don't think you can rule anything out... Anything between 8am and 6 or 7pm M-F seems fair game to me.

I caved and emailed Jermaine about when the notifications for Near East/North Africa will be going out and this is what he said:

"

I know that my U.S. State Department colleagues are hammering out some final (?) budget details now, so hopefully will be able to “green light” the notifications being sent out relatively soon.

Thanks for your patience so far.

Best,

Jermaine"

Edited by harees

I did. Full. You? And yes... I totally did that last week!

Oh, this is great to have found someone who applied to the DR too! Are you an under, grad, or out of school? I graduated last May and I am currently not in school.

I emailed Jermaine about this--apparently SSA alternates are ranked in one list. I take this to be good news, depending on where you are in the list (though FB does not disclose this info or the number of alternates on the list). It opens up more possibilities I think...Good luck!!

Ghana Alternate

[quote name='clemtgr' timestamp='1335444073'

post='1057851687']

Does anyone know how the alternate status works for SSA? I am an alternate for a full grant to Uganda. Does that mean I am on a list specifically for Uganda and must wait for someone from Uganda to decline their offer, or is there a general list of alternates for all of SSA so if someone going to Kenya declined I could be offered their spot?

Edited by jignatova

Does anyone know what the consequences are if you formally sign an acceptance of the Fulbright (they call the form a contract!) but later reject it for mental health reasons? I would really like to be able to do this but have had bad, worsening depression since I submitted the application, and know that being alone in a foreign country would be the worst thing for me in a depressed state. I'm trying to get it under control but don't know if I'll be well enough to go by September. If I formally accept and then reject will I be under any legal/financial obligation?

Oh, this is great to have found someone who applied to the DR too! Are you an under, grad, or out of school? I graduated last May and I am currently not in school.

I'm a PhD student, still in school (but if I get a Fulbright, I'll be able to graduate afterwards, thankfully), applied for a full grant in public health. How about you? Are you full or an ETA? What field are you? I've been a serious wreck lately - I just want to know and for this to be overrrrrr

I emailed Jermaine about this--apparently SSA alternates are ranked in one list. I take this to be good news, depending on where you are in the list (though FB does not disclose this info or the number of alternates on the list). It opens up more possibilities I think...Good luck!!

Ghana Alternate

So, I'm assuming each SSA country desginated 1 or more alternates which go on the regional alternate list. But I'm confused about the rankings...who did it? How can applicants to different countries with different projects & motivations for choosing their countries all get put into one list? There'd have to be some sort of objective, easily applicable criteria, right? And in the event that more funding was given to the SSA region as a whole, would each country get to invite an alternate off the list or would they just take the highest ranked five or so off the list? And since I applied for South Africa's ETA program, which doesn't start until next January does that mean that I could potentially be waiting up until around December to see if someone declines their award or if extra money is given?

I think this is why I didn't e-mail Jermaine to ask about the way alternates work, I knew it would raise more questions than it would answer. I've just gotta let this go, stop dwelling on it and move on. If it get a call that's great, if not ... oh well. At least I can technically say I never got rejected from the Fulbright.

Does anyone know what the consequences are if you formally sign an acceptance of the Fulbright (they call the form a contract!) but later reject it for mental health reasons? I would really like to be able to do this but have had bad, worsening depression since I submitted the application, and know that being alone in a foreign country would be the worst thing for me in a depressed state. I'm trying to get it under control but don't know if I'll be well enough to go by September. If I formally accept and then reject will I be under any legal/financial obligation?

FWIW, I don't think there's any financial or legal obligation if you never leave the country. Especially if the reason has to do with health issues of any kind. In the alternate e-mail it said people often officially accept the award and then turn it down for a host of reasons, leaving a spot open for an alternate, so I'm sure its come up before. Besides, I can't see them forcing someone who doesn't feel well to uproot their lives and move to a foreign country for a year.

Does anyone have any idea how much the full award grants in terms of funding, airfare, insurance, etc.? I have another offer that I have to decide whether to accept in the next couple of days, but I was waiting, hoping that we'd have word back by now on the Fulbright. Any information you guys could provide would be great. Thanks!

If you pass your medical review now, but then deteriorating health conditions make you unable to leave for your grant period, there is nothing anyone can do to fault you for it. Mental health IS health! You wouldn't be declining the award, but you would be categorizing yourself as ineligible due to a health condition that arose.

If you've already booked your travel before you decide to decline, I'd guess you'd have to work out with the airline how to cancel the ticket and I would also guess that Fulbright wouldn't refund you any amount that you lose from cancelling the ticket. (I don't know for sure.)

Have you thought about asking Fulbright to push back your grant period? I know some people have succeeded in beginning their grants several months late, say in January instead of September.

It sounds like you know what you need to get better, and that's really commendable. It's hard to be away from a support system and in a foreign country, especially while fighting depression. I hope you're healthy enough to leave in September. Best wishes!