Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

Welcome to Turkish time... Its very slow.

I just reread the post by the current ETA there. I'm well aware of the "non-Western" concept of time. I misread what the current ETA grantee had said. I thought I remembered him saying that our apps were passed on for final approval, like by the Fulbright Board in the US. But that's not what he said. *Sigh* =(

I thought a current ETA grant just said a few pages back that our applications have been sent onto the final round early last week or so. How could it possibly take another month? This is unfair. We've been waiting for more than 6 months!

They applications have been passed on for final approval. No one, including Rachel, Ayse, or Secil, really knows how long that will take. It shouldn't take very long, but it potentially could take a while. If you e-mail anybody at this point, they're just going to tell you a long time because their mailboxes are already full of such requests. Last year we were notified on June 10. Just be glad you're all ahead of that schedule.

They applications have been passed on for final approval. No one, including Rachel, Ayse, or Secil, really knows how long that will take. It shouldn't take very long, but it potentially could take a while. If you e-mail anybody at this point, they're just going to tell you a long time because their mailboxes are already full of such requests. Last year we were notified on June 10. Just be glad you're all ahead of that schedule.

I have this (false) idea in my head that final approval shouldn't take very long. Just imagining the Board saying, "Yep! All looks well!" and then they stamp the seal of approval, and some poor secretary-type employee sends out the mass emails of acceptances, rejections, and alternate notifications. Wouldn't that be nice? =P

It can be the case that we won't hear back this week, however, MENA people are sent to DC for orientation. Therefore, I'm thinking that they'll have to spend at least a few weeks organizing travel and hotel arrangements, which means that they should get back to us relatively soon. I am being hopeful here and perhaps looking way too much into this. :)

Last year, many MENA notifications didn't come until mid-May, which meant that orientation arrangements were being made while grantees were still in the midst of medical forms, and hadn't even formally accepted the grants yet.

I have this (false) idea in my head that final approval shouldn't take very long. Just imagining the Board saying, "Yep! All looks well!" and then they stamp the seal of approval, and some poor secretary-type employee sends out the mass emails of acceptances, rejections, and alternate notifications. Wouldn't that be nice? =P

Essentially that is what happens, but it's the same board that manages the entire higher education system. They have a lot to get through, especially as an academic year is drawing to a close.

I feel the same way about SSA. I've thought it was coming too many times now to get my hopes up about this week. I've been prepping myself for finding out next week.

As I understand it, the hope is that we will for sure find out this week...

...however, it is possible that it could extend beyond this week, next week...etc, at this point I just 'lol.' I'm not calling anyone else, emailing anyone else--nothing!

It is out of everyone's hands except those good old folks in DC. Poor Jermaine sounds so distraught right now and really remorseful. I mean, I feel sorry for everyone else (myself included), but this is really out of his hands and he is doing as much as he can to get the final approval.

I think for him and the SSA region, he feels this is pushing beyond his 'ideal' notificaiton period. I wish you all the best, good luck to everyone! Take care! This is an excellent lesson for me in control and patience (I better stop typing before I get all philosophical).

If any gets up the courage to call Jermaine, please post! I am getting pressure from all sides here to give the final outcome and have the sinking feeling we wont know for a good long while....

Hi,

I am new to this forum. I received the Fulbright to Russia and am so excited!!! I am also excited to read about the others who have received the grant too.

I heard that somone was creating a correspondance between Russian Fulbright grantees. Did this happen? Can I join? Can somebody add me to the list? Spacibo!

If any gets up the courage to call Jermaine, please post! I am getting pressure from all sides here to give the final outcome and have the sinking feeling we wont know for a good long while....

agreed, I want to know if we can hope to hear this week, or if I should put my misery out of the way for another week and concentrate on school since I have final exams next week! I have several graduation related events and ceremonies, and at each one when they ask what I'll be doing after graduation, I don't know what to say...its either grad school, or Fulbright - hopefully Fulbright!

I emailed Jermaine recently, so I do not feel comfortable bugging him again. I'd appreciate any updates though. I realize that it is out of Jermaine's hands at this point, and I really appreciate his patience with us. However, even if it is out of Jermaine's hands, maybe he can at least tell us whether or not we can expect to hear this week.

agreed, I want to know if we can hope to hear this week, or if I should put my misery out of the way for another week and concentrate on school since I have final exams next week! I have several graduation related events and ceremonies, and at each one when they ask what I'll be doing after graduation, I don't know what to say...its either grad school, or Fulbright - hopefully Fulbright!

I emailed Jermaine recently, so I do not feel comfortable bugging him again. I'd appreciate any updates though. I realize that it is out of Jermaine's hands at this point, and I really appreciate his patience with us. However, even if it is out of Jermaine's hands, maybe he can at least tell us whether or not we can expect to hear this week.

agreed! I have a feeling it is not this week as well.

Hi,

I am new to this forum. I received the Fulbright to Russia and am so excited!!! I am also excited to read about the others who have received the grant too.

I heard that somone was creating a correspondance between Russian Fulbright grantees. Did this happen? Can I join? Can somebody add me to the list? Spacibo!

PM Belafish with your email address - she set up the email list. Also, there is a facebook group called Fulbrighters to Russia that you might want to join. Congratulations! (Did you get the email from Oksana this morning? I am impatient to find out where we will be placed!)

Last year, many MENA notifications didn't come until mid-May, which meant that orientation arrangements were being made while grantees were still in the midst of medical forms, and hadn't even formally accepted the grants yet.

Really? Wow...good thing I heard early last year. Would hate to have to wait that long again. But I guess many of us are/will be waiting longer.

I actually have finals the week after next and then comps at the end of the month--the worrisome thing is that I need to develop my dissertation proposal just now--and I was hoping to use the Fulbright to do it! Nothing like down to the wire, eh ?

;-)

Just keep positive all! This forum has been a great comfort to me and I'm really happy for all the folks who made it through and posted to share their tales.

Sending positive folks to all the SSA Fulbright hopefuls!

So, I graduate on Saturday and leave the country two days later and will be gone for 2.5 months. If I receive the FB full-grant, how long do I have before have to turn medical forms back in?

I believe the forms say 3.. maybe 4 weeks, but I talked to Jermaine and he said they are flexible with it. I'd just give your coordinator a call once you hear if you got the grant and work with them.

So, I graduate on Saturday and leave the country two days later and will be gone for 2.5 months. If I receive the FB full-grant, how long do I have before have to turn medical forms back in?

4 weeks from your email it says... for Eastern Europe at least!

I got the full grant to Kyrgyzstan.

My heart is beating so fast. There is a tiny pocket of joy in Cubicle-land today. I literally cannot believe it. I keep checking the email to make sure it's real.

(Thanks to whomever updates the spreadsheet -- I'm KyrgyzRepublicApplicant.)