Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

Made a map from the spreadsheet

u1wsb.png

Green - Notified

Red - Not notified

Information on countries without notification may be skewed as there appears to be more notification on the thread principals and less from those who are rejected.

Has the entire continent of Africa not received any notifications?

I think that the reactions to our complete inability to alter the notifications timeline is amazing. What you don't know is that this forum is actually the source material for a study on what very bright people do when they have absolutely no control in a situation.

-define our various states of existence on a spreadsheet--- check

-send out emails that we already know the answers to--- check

-debate the fairness and probability of the timetable--- check

-try to will it into being with, "I read my tea leaves this morning, and I just KNOW it's going to happen tomorrow!!"--- check

But I think it's at a whole new level when an independently created spreadsheet of our complied data is turned into an independently created MAP of the world...which is color coded. I think I may love you all. You are my people- or if you aren't, I sure wish you were. P.S. long time lurker, first time poster- Still waiting for status (Trinidad and Tobago). Hope everyone has a great weekend.

I firmly expect someone to post a link to a song and/or youtube rant regarding this process if we don't hear by next week.

wait, Turkey was notified?

From the spreadsheet, Amandalanh, MarcelloMarcelli, oinkcluckmoobahh, and zeytinkiz were notified for Turkey Fulbrights on 04/05/2012.

I'm trying to figure out what this wait for " is, and why it affects Africa? Does anyone have any info?

But I think it's at a whole new level when an independently created spreadsheet of our complied data is turned into an independently created MAP of the world...which is color coded.

You give me too much credit. It took all of 5-7 minutes to make it. Theres sites on the internet that require you clicking checks on boxes to make these maps.

Edited by lurker1234

I'm trying to figure out what this wait for " is, and why it affects Africa? Does anyone have any info?

To answer my own question, it probably has to do with this:

http://www.fulbright...-budget-request

President Obama's Fiscal Year (FY) 2012 budget released on Feb. 14 requested $252.7 million for the Fulbright Program, a decrease of $1.122 million from the level enacted for FY 2010 and $800,000 less than the Fulbright exchanges funding level under the FY 2011 continuing resolution. The Obama administration request for FY 2012 is the same as its budget request for 2011. Please see the table below for details.

The overall request for Department of State educational and cultural exchange programs, including the Fulbright Program, totaled $637.1 million, an increase of $2.1 million over the $635 million enacted for FY 2010 and the FY 2011 contained in the current continuing resolution.

A breakdown of the FY 2012 request for the Fulbright Program, as reported in the

Department of State Executive Budget Summary, is available below. The full breakdown of State Department educational and cultural exchange program funding is online at http://www.state.gov...tion/156214.pdf.

FdR98.png

Not sure why this would involve a budgetary issue for Africa Fulbrights and not involve an across the board issue. Perhaps its something else.

Edited by lurker1234

Found out a few weeks ago that I'd been accepted for a Fulbright Core research grant! I'm really excited. But then I saw the medical form - my primary care physician knows I have ADHD. It's mainly non-medically treated, but I have taken medication for it in the past year. Does anyone know if Fulbright will deny my medical clearance because of ADHD? What to do??

Found out a few weeks ago that I'd been accepted for a Fulbright Core research grant! I'm really excited. But then I saw the medical form - my primary care physician knows I have ADHD. It's mainly non-medically treated, but I have taken medication for it in the past year. Does anyone know if Fulbright will deny my medical clearance because of ADHD? What to do??

I don't know for certain- but I strongly believe that they would NOT deny you medical clearance for ADHD. Unless your physician tells them that your condition would put you or others at risk, which I seriously doubt s/he would, you should be good to go. It is my understanding that the medical forms are in place for insurance purposes. Fulbright is trying to ensure your safety, as well as to protect themselves, in the event that something happens to you while under their supervision. They need to have as much information about you as they can get so that, if need be, they can alert people or institutions that can offer services or protections while abroad. Also, so that if you go on a kill-crazy rampage, their butts are covered.

I am thinking that you cannot possibly be the only Fulbright grantee that has a diagnosis of ADHD. Statistically, it is highly improbable that none of the Fulbrighters ever have had a disorder of some sort. I wouldn't worry about it.

Made a map from the spreadsheet

u1wsb.png

Green - Notified

Red - Not notified

Information on countries without notification may be skewed as there appears to be more notification on the thread principals and less from those who are rejected.

Has the entire continent of Africa not received any notifications?

hey there, still waiting impatiently! Please add Zambia to your nice map!

2SzOh.png

Sure thing.

Do you have any information on why the continent of Africa is being held up by " Why is Africa waiting for this when other continents have heard back?

I think all the regions/countries have to go through final budget approval. It might just be taking Africa longer.

I think all the regions/countries have to go through final budget approval. It might just be taking Africa longer.

I'm interested to find out whats the story. What we know is this is the only continent that is currently waiting for this type of approval. This is also the only continent with no notifications. I don't have anything beyond that. Getting some more context can certainly have a profound and transformative effect on perspective.

I got the sense that applicants to many countries had a similar post-country-decision wait period. They told us from the get-go that the FSB needed to give final approval. We also have to remember that although the country decisions have already been made, Fulbrights to Sub-Saharan Africa are regional and each country doesn't have a set number of grants. It could be that it takes some time to decide which countries get how many of their top picks.

Edited by FullTimeAnxious

I got the sense that applicants to many countries had a similar post-country-decision wait period. They told us from the get-go that the FSB. We also have to remember that although the country decisions have already been made, Fulbrights to Sub-Saharan Africa are regional and each country doesn't have a set number of grants. It could be that it takes some time to decide which countries get how many of their top picks.

I thought about that, and thats why theres the Moroccan example labeled first in my link for "

It has a set number of grants. Then theres Egypt.

Okay just talked to Jermaine... He said that he hopes we find out in the next week or two (for Morocco anyway). I asked him whether the decisions came in from the commission in Morocco already; he said yes, he has them, but can't send out decisions until he gets a green light from DC. I don't really know what type of green light, but whatever. So at least decisions have come back from Morocco... Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut nothing new besides that, really.

Okay so last week I emailed Jim Miller of MAECE about decisions - he replied:

I know you are probably very anxious, but the announcements, which will come from the Institute of International Education (IIE) in New York, will come by the end of this month. They are the people who notify you.

Thanks for asking.

Dr. Miller

End of month? Dying. (I'm applying for a full grant to Morocco)

I had emailed Jermaine a few days ago asking for a general time frame we could expect to hear back. I got a reply this morning -

I hope to be able to notify you and the other recommended candidates for Sub-Saharan Africa no later than the end of the month, but am still waiting on the final budgetary approval needed to do so.

Many thanks for your patience so far(!)

Regards,

Jermaine

From this, Morocco is hooked into the same "budgetary approval" issue as Sub Saharan Africa. So Its not that.

I really don't think we've seen evidence that the grants for Africa are under threat of disappearing for budget reasons. It really sounds more like it's just a slow bureaucratic process.

Yes. On the other hand, we have seen how compared to FY2010 and FY 2011. I am not sure what this means for the general program for the entire continent.

The information presented here forms incomplete picture, and this is what raises questions. If there is more direct information on why Africa is the only continent without notifications, because there is a wait for final approval in the US, I'd very much like to hear it. (This final step is unclear- perhaps someone can elaborate on it) Receiving more context to this can certainly have a profound and transformative effect on our collective perspective.

Edited by lurker1234

Yes. On the other hand, we have seen how compared to FY2010 and FY 2011. I am not sure what this means for the general program for the entire continent.

The information presented here forms incomplete picture, and this is what raises questions. If there is more direct information on why Africa is the only continent without notifications, because there is a wait for final approval in the US, I'd very much like to hear it. (This final step is unclear- perhaps someone can elaborate on it) Receiving more context to this can certainly have a profound and transformative effect on our collective perspective.

What country did you apply to or are you waiting to hear from? I get the sense that we'll find out this week for MENA regions.

I don't know for certain- but I strongly believe that they would NOT deny you medical clearance for ADHD. Unless your physician tells them that your condition would put you or others at risk, which I seriously doubt s/he would, you should be good to go. It is my understanding that the medical forms are in place for insurance purposes. Fulbright is trying to ensure your safety, as well as to protect themselves, in the event that something happens to you while under their supervision. They need to have as much information about you as they can get so that, if need be, they can alert people or institutions that can offer services or protections while abroad. Also, so that if you go on a kill-crazy rampage, their butts are covered.

I am thinking that you cannot possibly be the only Fulbright grantee that has a diagnosis of ADHD. Statistically, it is highly improbable that none of the Fulbrighters ever have had a disorder of some sort. I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks for your kind reply. I want to believe that Fulbright feels this way (ADHD isn't a big deal, etc.), but I'm not very confident about it :( True, ADHD is a very common disorder - I just worry that they'll say that since the medication I've taken for it isn't available in the host country, they won't risk allowing me to go.There are other treatments that work for me, though. I've tried to find out about others' personal experiences with similar circumstances, but I can't find out anything at all! It's frustrating.

Anyway, not much I can do about it. I almost wish I'd not sought help and treatment 2 years ago.

Edited by infodiva1

Thanks for your kind reply. I want to believe that Fulbright feels this way (ADHD isn't a big deal, etc.), but I'm not very confident about it :( True, ADHD is a very common disorder - I just worry that they'll say that since the medication I've taken for it isn't available in the host country, they won't risk allowing me to go.There are other treatments that work for me, though. I've tried to find out about others' personal experiences with similar circumstances, but I can't find out anything at all! It's frustrating.

Anyway, not much I can do about it. I almost wish I'd not sought help and treatment 2 years ago.

One of the handbooks linked earlier indicated that people with medical conditions requiring prescriptions should bring more than what the expect to need during the course of their time abroad. So it is certainly not the case that they sweepingly disapprove anyone requiring prescription medication from getting medical clearance. I also strongly believe that ADHD would not be grounds for withdrawing a Fulbright offer. Email your program manager! I feel confident that they'll put your mind at ease about this issue.

I had to get cleared medically when I studied abroad last year. I don't know what the Fulbright form looks like, but I expect it would be similar. My doctor just gave me an exam, went through the sheet with me, and checked off the necessary boxes. She wouldn't sign the form until I got some sort of blood test, but it came out fine, and then she signed it. At the time, the only meds I was taking was an inhaler for asthma, and I was just told to bring enough for the semester. I think the same thing goes for you, just bring 9 months (or more) of your medication when you leave. If that's impossible, arrange for a package to come every three months or whatever. They won't rescind the offer because the country doesn't offer your meds. They just expect you to be prepared. Also, I just remembered that I friend who studied abroad with me had ADHD and she brought plenty of meds and was fine. Of course, I understand you being anxious, I'm such a worry wart, and will probably worry about the medical form if I end up getting the Fulbright!