Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

Unfortunately staying on this thread is now a bit tortuous, so I'm gonna make my exit and return only if I am promoted to principle. I just want to thank everyone so much for their positive energy; this is such a supportive community, and it has been so wonderful to find a place where my constant whining about this process is understood. Congratulations to all who have been accepted, my condolences to those who have been rejected (you still made it so so far!) and to those who, like me, are stuck in alternate limbo: chin up! We're in this together! Sincerely,

Pelevinfan

Congratulations to all accepted and granted alternate status!

I'm still waiting to hear back from Hong Kong via Jonathan Akeley.

Has anyone spoken to him recently? Would appreciate the news, if anyone has any...

thanks!

I emailed Akeley April 4th and he said we should know "within the next 2 weeks." He responded to me in less than 24 hours, but I'm certain that it's only because I also contacted my FPA and asked her to contact him on my behalf. He seems to simply not engage in correspondence with applicants, unless the FPA supports the correspondence. Every time he has EVER responded to me has been because of my FPA.

I emailed him like 2 weeks ago and never heard back--I assume he's just very busy.

That's a generous thought, but frankly I doubt he's any busier than any of the other program directors, and from what I see on this board the majority of them seem to have no problem responding to emails or picking up their phones, even if just to say that they have no new info.

Congratulations to all accepted and granted alternate status!

I'm still waiting to hear back from Hong Kong via Jonathan Akeley.

Has anyone spoken to him recently? Would appreciate the news, if anyone has any...

thanks!

It's not Hong Kong, but I got notice of my alternate status for Cambodia on April 11th. Jonathan's the contact for that but the email came from Theresa Granza. So some decisions are being made in SE Asia!

Seriously, this is how my last hour has gone!!

check email (no notification). refresh email just in case the notification came within the last 3 seconds (still no email). resign self to the fact that I should probably start working. resume working on IRB amendment. realize that 4 minutes have just past. think "maybe my notification came!" check email. still no notification. hit refresh. hit refresh again. still nothing. promise myself that I won't check my email for at least an hour. begin working on my prospectus. decide that 10 minutes of prospectus work is more than respectable. check this forum for 10 minutes to see who received notifications. feel anxious. begin rationalizing that 20 minutes is roughly 30% of an hour which is almost half an hour, and if I round up - that's a whole hour! check email (nothing). hit refresh (still nothing). *refresh* *refresh* *refresh* *refresh.* Start feeling angry with IIE, Fulbright, the FSB, and the Western Hemisphere as a whole. decide that this is irrational. check email. nothing. *refresh* *refresh* *refresh* *refresh.* decide that my anger is, indeed, actually rational. *refresh* *refresh* *refresh.* feel dejected.

This is exactly what I do! God, glad I am not alone. The sad thing is that I know I probably won't get notified for a few more weeks and that checking constantly is getting me nowhere.

I have not, have you?

I was curious about the same thing. I feel very strongly that SSA will find out next week, based on the emails/calls to Jermaine Jones

Yeah, I haven't heard anything new either, but I agree with the above -- Jermaine did not seem optimistic that this week would be the week.

Edited by FullTimeAnxious

:: breaks down ::

:: cries ::

Why can't we just know, now? SSA, is taking way too long. I'll probably vanish once I find out.

But, for now, I just had to break the silence. I have enough obligations with digital communities, I can't have another--lol. :P

I was told, we should know around this week (that was the beginning of April). I wish we could just know that it *isn't* coming this week. The uncertainty is what kills people. Its not coming next week? Fine!

At least if they were clear, we can go have good times living it up all week until next week when we are checking phones, refreshing the forum or refreshing email!!!

Ok. I've been holding that in for a while. Thanks for listening. We knew the terms of this relationship when it started. I keep hearing Ray Charles singing "Just for a Thrill" in my head :)

Edited by ssndaMehT

I have not (and I probably won't), but if someone else asks I would love to hear what she says! :)

Ditto for the Baltic States. If we don't hear by Friday there's a good chance I'll be antsy enough make some attempt at contact, though I don't know whether Lithuania's notifications dates would necessarily correspond with others in Eastern Europe :/

Have any Eastern Europe/Balkans/Caucasus people emailed Rachel??

I e-mailed yesterday, she said she hopes by the end of the week (for Serbia). Don't know if the other Balkans are expected to be at the same time, fingers crossed for all of us!

eta-- congrats to all who got their grants!

Edited by viktoria18

congrats gb6!!!!

Could anyone clarify for me how flights to Germany work? The information mentioned something about a pre-paid ticket through STA, but does anyone know how we go about setting that up?

you should probably find the germany facebook... most of them arent on here anymore i dont think...

I e-mailed yesterday, she said she hopes by the end of the week (for Serbia). Don't know if the other Balkans are expected to be at the same time, fingers crossed for all of us!

Yikes! End of the week? I hope that rings true for Belarus!

That makes sense with what she told me about the Bosnia ETA...She said that I should hear in 2-3 weeks on Friday, March 30th...so I'm right in that time frame now. Hopefully a bunch of us Eastern Europe/Balkans/Caucasus people hear this week.

Fingers crossed for everyone!