Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

Does anyone know if the decision for China full grants will come from Beijing or New York? I know Jonathan is based in New York City, supposedly, but there's also been correspondence with folks in Beijing. We were told that paperwork would be sent to Beijing on April 13th for the Chinese Government Scholarship -- and would thusly receive notification any time after that point. Just getting anxious here...

Do you know if the applications arrive in Turkey ranked by the Americans? Thanks!!

I don't think they do. The Turkish crowd is better aware of the needs here anyway. Also, Secil has been involved with Fulbright for a long time, and Ayse is from Brooklyn, so they both have pretty close connections with the American Fulbright people.

Does anyone know if the decision for China full grants will come from Beijing or New York? I know Jonathan is based in New York City, supposedly, but there's also been correspondence with folks in Beijing. We were told that paperwork would be sent to Beijing on April 13th for the Chinese Government Scholarship -- and would thusly receive notification any time after that point. Just getting anxious here...

Oh, did they really say that we could be notified anytime after that point, really? I knew that was our deadline to submit our stuff for the China Government Scholarship to DC, but I didn't know it had anything to do with the Fulbright selection process/timeline.

(Also, China finalists, on this note - see my query from yesterday about applying for the CGS even if we're Fulbright rejects - has anyone else tried to do this? When I did, I was very surprised by the response.)

I can't say with certainty (you might want to check last year's Fulbright thread), but the way it works for what I've seen thus far and from my full grant to Taiwan is final notification comes from an email from New York, followed by a letter from New York, and your official packet that includes your grant authorization will come from Beijing. However, the final decision is nonetheless made by folks in Beijing, and IIE in New York is merely forwarding that decision (once you are a finalist, you have already passed all IIE decision making).

Edited by bleistift

I can't say with certainty (you might want to check last year's Fulbright thread), but the way it works for what I've seen thus far and from my full grant to Taiwan is final notification comes from an email from New York, followed by a letter from New York, and your official packet that includes your grant authorization will come from Beijing. However, the final decision is nonetheless made by folks in Beijing, and IIE in New York is merely forwarding that decision (once you are a finalist, you have already passed all IIE decision making).

Thanks, this is useful to hear!

We really need a Wiki to organize all the information we've learned so that next year's crop of applicants don't have to weed through our 3,000 posts. I would have loved to have known all this information during the application process. Peace Corps peeps made one -- anyone on here want to take that on? I am not tech-savvy enough personally.

Thanks, this is useful to hear!

We really need a Wiki to organize all the information we've learned so that next year's crop of applicants don't have to weed through our 3,000 posts. I would have loved to have known all this information during the application process. Peace Corps peeps made one-- anyone on here want to take that on? I am not tech-savvy enough personally.

Maybe suggest that again after finals/graduation... :)

Maybe suggest that again after finals/graduation... :)

Haha, I forgot that's happening about now. Ahh, the joys of graduating two years ago... :)

Maybe it'd just be something we should tell next year's crop of applicants as soon as they start their GradCafe thread, and they can just populate a Wiki as they go along (if they're interested).

Best wishes to everyone on their finals! And I hope you/we hear good Fulbright news soon.

My friend was an alternate for a full to Cambodia and got promoted to principal in 2010 - then SHE didn't end up taking it (she changed her project). Good luck!!

Thanks for positive feedback, always nice to hear!! I haven't given up hope yet, it could still happen :) Many congrats to everyone already accepted!

ACCEPTED FOR ARMENIA ETA!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D Email came at 6:18am Pacific time (yay Oregon!)

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! I am rooting for each and every one of you! Thanks for the AMAZING support the past few months...knowing we were all on this together made a big impact. And definitely PM me if you're in the area and wanna swap contact info!!

Edited by lg702

ACCEPTED FOR ARMENIA ETA!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D Email came at 6:18 Pacific, I think.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! I am rooting for each and every one of you! Thanks for the AMAZING support the past few months...knowing we were all on this together made a big impact. And definitely PM me if you're in the area and wanna swap contact info!!

congratulations!

Hey everybody,

Congrats to all the Armenia, Turkey, Spain, and Croatia folks!

I am wondering if someone knows anyone who has been accepted for a Venezuela Full or ETA Grant. I am a recommended ETA candidate, but I have heard nothing since January 31. The reason why I ask is that it seems like every other South American country has already sent their decisions to principal candidates based on the spreadsheet, and I am having fears that my transfer undergraduate institution forgot to send my transcript to the Fulbright Committee, thereby removing me from the competition.

Anything anyone knows is much appreciated!

Keeping the good vibes on for everyone else!

Hey everybody,

I am wondering if someone knows anyone who has been accepted for a Venezuela Full or ETA Grant. I am a recommended ETA candidate, but I have heard nothing since January 31. The reason why I ask is that it seems like every other South American country has already sent their decisions to principal candidates based on the spreadsheet, and I am having fears that my transfer undergraduate institution forgot to send my transcript to the Fulbright Committee, thereby removing me from the competition.

People that were missing transcripts received an email from Fulbright a while back... there were posts about it a month or a couple months ago. If you didn't receive the email, I would assume that your transcripts made it. The fact that there is another person also waiting for the same grant suggests that Venezuela applicants haven't been notified yet. Plus, there's still plenty of the Western Hemisphere left to notify.

Edited by Biz

I didn't apply for any of those countries, however I'm an undergrad applicant and I did transfer schools. I seem to remember though that the Fulbright only asked for a transcript from the school from which you'll be earning your degree. Are you worrying that your original school didn't send a copy to the them? Because I don't think that was actually necessary.

I didn't apply for any of those countries, however I'm an undergrad applicant and I did transfer schools. I seem to remember though that the Fulbright only asked for a transcript from the school from which you'll be earning your degree. Are you worrying that your original school didn't send a copy to the them? Because I don't think that was actually necessary.

People that were missing transcripts received an email from Fulbright a while back... there were posts about it a month or a couple months ago. If you didn't receive the email, I would assume that your transcripts made it. The fact that there is another person also waiting for the same grant suggests that Venezuela applicants haven't been notified yet. Plus, there's still plenty of the Western Hemisphere left to notify.

Hey Biz and Kerly_Cue,

Thanks for the heads up. I guess I just to need to be a little bit more patient. The head of the Fulbright board is visiting my school tomorrow to speak with rising seniors about the program, and I am so tempted to go there to ask him about my application. I know that's mad unprofessional and that he probably does not know, but that I was my first reaction when I saw the announcement. Here's to hoping we all find out soon.

Biz, what are you planning to study in Latvia?

Kerly_Cue, where did you apply?

Hey everybody,

Hey there! I also applied for an ETA in Venezuela (I believe there is one other person on this thread as well). I e-mailed Jody at the beginning of the month and asked her when she suspected we would know. She said "Hopefully by the end of this month." I'm keeping my fingers crossed for next week, but sounds like it's no guarantee:( I am sure you could e-mail her again and ask for an update on the date. If you do, please share her response:)

Hey everybody,

Hmm... My undergrad institution actually didn't send my transcript and I got an email in February notifying me about it... Maybe Venezuela is just super slow

I got a Fulbright to Croatia!! I am SOOO excited. For the spreadsheet:

Croatia, Full, email on 4/18/12, PhD student with 1 dependent

Side note - does anyone know how much the grant is actually for?

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting. This was my second round of grants - sometimes it takes more than one.

Edited by spinnergal

Hey PDX503,

I e-mailed Jody last week and have heard nothing at the moment. Also, I may be the other person you are thinking of. I changed my old username, limeandlimpedgreen56 to my current one, which is easier for me to remember.

Where do you hope to be placed?

Hey there! I also applied for an ETA in Venezuela (I believe there is one other person on this thread as well). I e-mailed Jody at the beginning of the month and asked her when she suspected we would know. She said "Hopefully by the end of this month." I'm keeping my fingers crossed for next week, but sounds like it's no guarantee:( I am sure you could e-mail her again and ask for an update on the date. If you do, please share her response:)

Hey Biz and Kerly_Cue,

Thanks for the heads up. I guess I just to need to be a little bit more patient. The head of the Fulbright board is visiting my school tomorrow to speak with rising seniors about the program, and I am so tempted to go there to ask him about my application. I know that's mad unprofessional and that he probably does not know, but that I was my first reaction when I saw the announcement. Here's to hoping we all find out soon.

Biz, what are you planning to study in Latvia?

Kerly_Cue, where did you apply?

I applied to South Africa.

I know the wait is really difficult for some, but I wouldn't talk to the head of the Fulbright, besides chances are he/she know nothing about your application since each region/country is pretty self contained. That said, you aren't alone in the waiting game. I've been pretty good so far about not obsessing but as the year starts wrapping up, I have to figure out how long to extend my lease and the urgency is becoming a little greater. But really there's nothing we can do but sit & chill so ... that's what I'll do. Plus it looks like SSA won't be notified until early next week since it seems like our regional director is out of the office until then. My guess would be Tuesday. My birthday is also Tuesday ... so this should be interetsting...