Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

Hey everybody,

Congrats to all the Armenia, Turkey, Spain, and Croatia folks!

I am wondering if someone knows anyone who has been accepted for a Venezuela Full or ETA Grant. I am a recommended ETA candidate, but I have heard nothing since January 31. The reason why I ask is that it seems like every other South American country has already sent their decisions to principal candidates based on the spreadsheet, and I am having fears that my transfer undergraduate institution forgot to send my transcript to the Fulbright Committee, thereby removing me from the competition.

Anything anyone knows is much appreciated!

Keeping the good vibes on for everyone else!

I was very nervous about my transcripts arriving, so I emailed Jermaine in February and asked if he can check. He said that they don't check for individual candidates because that would be impossible, however, when it came time to making decisions, if they were missing, I would receive an email. So no news, probably means they have your transcripts.

Dreamed that I received a rejection letter by snail mail. I really hope it's early next week.

I was thinking about this, too. Well, not about a rejection so much, but about how we will be notified. It seems that most people for the region have historically been notified by letter.

It could be that this year, they send emails, maybe...? Who knows! In any case, hopefully some people will hear back today. You folks try to enjoy your weekend and have some fun!

I was thinking about this, too. Well, not about a rejection so much, but about how we will be notified. It seems that most people for the region have historically been notified by letter.

It could be that this year, they send emails, maybe...? Who knows! In any case, hopefully some people will hear back today. You folks try to enjoy your weekend and have some fun!

I read somewhere that all notifications were by email starting this year. And everyone who's been notified thus far has followed that trend.

Hey everyone-

I have mostly disappeared from this forum since I got accepted; I've been completely slammed with work finishing my masters! But I looked at the spreadsheet today, and I saw there are many more of you who have been accepted to programs in Eastern Europe!

Just a reminder that I have made a facebook group for fulbrighters who will be in the region next year...called "Fulbright Eastern Europe 2012-2013!" You should all join!

Congrats to everyone who got a fellowship, and to those of you who didn't, you are still awesome.

Hey everyone-

I have mostly disappeared from this forum since I got accepted; I've been completely slammed with work finishing my masters! But I looked at the spreadsheet today, and I saw there are many more of you who have been accepted to programs in Eastern Europe!

Just a reminder that I have made a facebook group for fulbrighters who will be in the region next year...called "Fulbright Eastern Europe 2012-2013!" You should all join!

Congrats to everyone who got a fellowship, and to those of you who didn't, you are still awesome.

Excellent! I just requested to join! Bela-bela-Belarus!

I had emailed Jermaine a few days ago asking for a general time frame we could expect to hear back. I got a reply this morning -

I hope to be able to notify you and the other recommended candidates for Sub-Saharan Africa no later than the end of the month, but am still waiting on the final budgetary approval needed to do so.

Many thanks for your patience so far(!)

Regards,

Jermaine

Hey PDX503,

I e-mailed Jody last week and have heard nothing at the moment. Also, I may be the other person you are thinking of. I changed my old username, limeandlimpedgreen56 to my current one, which is easier for me to remember.

Where do you hope to be placed?

Hi AFX^79-

I guess you it's just the two of us on here then (you are the other person I was thinking of).

My preference would be Merida or Caracas, rather than Maracaibo. However, I am really open and mostly hoping to work with youth. What about you?

The count down begins, 7 weekdays until the end of the month (I don't know if they send out notifications during the weekend). So I hope we will know very soon!

I had emailed Jermaine a few days ago asking for a general time frame we could expect to hear back. I got a reply this morning -

I hope to be able to notify you and the other recommended candidates for Sub-Saharan Africa no later than the end of the month, but am still waiting on the final budgetary approval needed to do so.

Regards,

Jermaine

For some reason, his response literally made me 'lol'...

I mean, there are only 10 days left in the month and a few of those days are weekends. It is either next week, or next month. I know he is in a tough position because he said he wanted them to be out by this week...or, that is what he indicated a while back. Slowly but surely it has been creeping back ( :: starts rolling back in chair :: )--just like this.

It is all out of his hands (and certainly ours), for now. And I just have to say for the record--Jermaine is an incredibly nice guy and very generous with whatever info he has.

What can we do, but relax on cruise control until they come out. We also 'hope' we are able to know until the end of the month. But if not, lol, what can we do? The decisions have been made, nothing else we can do at this point! B)

Regards,

Jermaine

I got the same reply back just now in response to the email I sent last Friday. He's very patient with our stress-filled requests for information = )

I got the same reply back just now in response to the email I sent last Friday. He's very patient with our stress-filled requests for information = )

My second paragraph was a little bit longer though -- I think because I specifically asked about the status of my individual application:

"Many thanks for your patience so far(!), and please do not take the extended silence as any indication of the final decision reached on your particular application. Until you receive final word on it, you should consider your candidacy active."

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:21 AM

Okay just talked to Jermaine... He said that he hopes we find out in the next week or two (for Morocco anyway). I asked him whether the decisions came in from the commission in Morocco already; he said yes, he has them, but can't send out decisions until he gets a green light from DC. I don't really know what type of green light, but whatever. So at least decisions have come back from Morocco... Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut nothing new besides that, really.

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:58 AM

Okay so last week I emailed Jim Miller of MAECE about decisions - he replied:

I know you are probably very anxious, but the announcements, which will come from the Institute of International Education (IIE) in New York, will come by the end of this month. They are the people who notify you.

Thanks for asking.

Dr. Miller

End of month? Dying. (I'm applying for a full grant to Morocco)

Regards,

Jermaine

I have good information that the IEE is in direct talks with none other than Oprah Winfrey. I believe the talks are culminating into a statement that should end up with something like the following:

NuBKA.jpg

aNBvNl.jpg

lu0LR.jpg

/meh

Edited by lurker1234

Hey PDX,

I would prefer Caracas, but as you also say my main interest is working with youth, so I imagine that even if I am placed elsewhere, I will be happy.

The end of the month is near.....

Hi AFX^79-

I guess you it's just the two of us on here then (you are the other person I was thinking of).

My preference would be Merida or Caracas, rather than Maracaibo. However, I am really open and mostly hoping to work with youth. What about you?

The count down begins, 7 weekdays until the end of the month (I don't know if they send out notifications during the weekend). So I hope we will know very soon!

Hi, all-- I am in a bit of a bind. I just received a job offer from a university in Hong Kong that requests a final decision from me by 4/30, and I am still waiting for news about the HK fulbright (which is my Plan A.) If I sign the contract with the school, then bail out if I get the grant, I'll owe them three months pay. I emailed Jonathan Akeley a few days ago and did not receive a response. I tried calling yesterday and today, but the call won't go through. It doesn't even ring. I'm not sure if there's a problem with my phone, or if it's his. I know he doesn't usually respond to email. Just wondering if anyone else is having difficulty getting through to his phone. Thanks!

Hi, all-- I am in a bit of a bind. I just received a job offer from a university in Hong Kong that requests a final decision from me by 4/30, and I am still waiting for news about the HK fulbright (which is my Plan A.) If I sign the contract with the school, then bail out if I get the grant, I'll owe them three months pay. I emailed Jonathan Akeley a few days ago and did not receive a response. I tried calling yesterday and today, but the call won't go through. It doesn't even ring. I'm not sure if there's a problem with my phone, or if it's his. I know he doesn't usually respond to email. Just wondering if anyone else is having difficulty getting through to his phone. Thanks!

Hi NNN,

I just found out that I am an Alternate to Hong Kong. Therefore, I would expect for you to find out today or next week. I hope that helps you with your bind. I've had similiar binds with job offers.

Hi NNN,

I just found out that I am an Alternate to Hong Kong. Therefore, I would expect for you to find out today or next week. I hope that helps you with your bind. I've had similiar binds with job offers.

Do you find out by email or by snail mail? I'm waiting for China and now am getting nervous!

Do you find out by email or by snail mail? I'm waiting for China and now am getting nervous!

Email, but that's for Hong Kong, which is not part of the China applicant pool. So don't get nervous, because your notifications aren't tied to ours.

Made a map from the spreadsheet

u1wsb.png

Green - Notified

Red - Not notified

Information on countries without notification may be skewed as there appears to be more notification on the thread principals and less from those who are rejected.

Has the entire continent of Africa not received any notifications?

Edited by lurker1234