Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

So I know it's only 1:15 EST, but are we willing to chalk this week up to yet another 5 days with no news for the Caribbean/CA? I'm gonna go there and say yes...

............phbbbbllllltttttttt..........

Another weekend. Remember when we used to be excited for those? Now, it just means two more days of no news.

I had a cashier at the grocery store say "Still nothing back on Costa Rica!!???" (My husband told her we -might- be going there), so now I'm even frustrating near-strangers with this wait.

In brighter news, I am finally finished with my horrible job and never, ever, ever have to go back there AND my documentary film screened last night to a packed house and was a total hit!!! I will ride that happy wave until Monday, when the refreshing and spam-folder-checking begins anew!

ETA's for Türkiye..... I am a current 2011-2012 ETA in Turkey, with high hopes of being a 2012-2013 ETA. I thought I would get on here and give you a little hope while you were waiting. Turkey has one of the longest waiting periods for the fulbright grant. It is purely because of bureaucracy. There is no way around it, as it is a part of the culture. At first it can seem a bit arbitrary for americans, but over time you begin to accept it and i do dare say appreciate it. Also, there is talk of expanding the program to larger numbers, providing the candidates are up to par. So what am I trying to say, be confident that you sent in your best application at the time, be extremely patient, practice some türkçe and WAIT!!!!!!(because it will be worth it) :)

Hey PDX503,

Congrats on receiving principal status. I am an alternate candidate for Venezuela. As you might guess, I am a little bummed, but the application process was still a great way for me to get super focused on my strengths, weaknesses, future interests. I hope that you have a great experience.

I think Alternates that are promoted to principle status should report it on the forum so that we can record it on the spreadsheet. This way (if we need to apply again next year) we'll have a better picture of what our chances look like (and just our of curiosity :) ). I know two years ago several ALT were moved to principle status. However, given the recent budget cuts, I would not be surprised if the opposite were true! :(

Hey PDX503,

Congrats on receiving principal status. I am an alternate candidate for Venezuela. As you might guess, I am a little bummed, but the application process was still a great way for me to get super focused on my strengths, weaknesses, future interests. I hope that you have a great experience.

Hey AFX^79

Sorry to hear this, but you should still be proud that you made it this far!!! Atleast your an alternate, which means there is still a possibility for you. Good luck and please post if you end up getting selected.

Question to those of you who will be accompanied by a dependent . . .

The medical forms state that "if accompanied by dependents we recommend that they recieve medical clearance, as well." Does this imply that Fulbright is asking for this information, or that it may be a requirement to attain a visa? If it's required by Fulbright, would my husband need to fill out the same medical forms as me? And where would this "medical clearance" be sent to?

Turkey Turkey TURKEY! Please save my sanity...jeez! Does ANYONE have absolutely any information...any updates? This is absolute torture!...TORTURE I TELL YA!

Okay...AND breath...back to normal...I have a feeling this coming week MIGHT be the week...who's with me?!

Whoever said patience was a virtue never had to wait for the Fulbright to answer them!

So ya.. when I talked to Rachel at the end of April she said it could be another month, and later than sooner... With that being said I am hoping to hear something over the next two weeks :)

Edited by Heartbri

Question to those of you who will be accompanied by a dependent . . .

The medical forms state that "if accompanied by dependents we recommend that they recieve medical clearance, as well." Does this imply that Fulbright is asking for this information, or that it may be a requirement to attain a visa? If it's required by Fulbright, would my husband need to fill out the same medical forms as me? And where would this "medical clearance" be sent to?

My husband is going to be joining me in Russia and I was under the impression that he would need to fill out the same medical forms that I did. I asked Rachel about it, though, and she said he doesn't have to fill out these forms or get medical clearance. Just check into your country requirements (immunizations, HIV certificates, etc) and make sure he does all of those...

Edited by belafish

Just found out today that the Taiwan Fulbright Commission came across more funding and that I have been promoted from alternate to primary for an ETA. I'm painfully aware of how frustrating it is to be an alternate, so I'll be crossing my fingers that the rest of the alternates out there hear similar news soon--you've still got a chance! Best of luck to everyone!

Oh yeah, Caribbean notifications.... Is this the week or what? I'm tired of putting my life on hold because of bureaucratic red tape!

Precisely!

Just found out today that the Taiwan Fulbright Commission came across more funding and that I have been promoted from alternate to primary for an ETA. I'm painfully aware of how frustrating it is to be an alternate, so I'll be crossing my fingers that the rest of the alternates out there hear similar news soon--you've still got a chance! Best of luck to everyone!

Congratulations!!!

Let's hope everybody gets more funding so that all the alternates can move up! Everyone here is so deserving. On that same sappy note, I think you all are amazing and I'm so happy this forum is here for us all to support one another.

Congratulations!

Oh yeah, Caribbean notifications.... Is this the week or what? I'm tired of putting my life on hold because of bureaucratic red tape!

Yup. Agreed. This is kinda crazy. Who thinks we won't hear back before the May 15th deadline? *puts her hand up...*

It is a little nerve-racking to have plans so up-in-the-air, but I'm gonna play the optimist and say that they will come this week. I'm betting tomorrow or Wednesday. Why?

Because.

Congrats to all of the ALTERNATES being promoted to primaries! It's such good news!

I'm not sure if the individual managing the spreadsheet is still on this forum but it would be great to add this to the sheet.

Also, any ALTERNATES contemplating reapplying, and if so, are you starting the process now?

I'm wondering about reaching out to my contacts in Morocco, primarily those that supported my work, notifying them of my status, and asking them to support me again if I don't hear back.

So ya.. when I talked to Rachel at the end of April she said it could be another month, and later than sooner... With that being said I am hoping to hear something over the next two weeks :)

this wait is making me sad, I was hoping to hear before I left nyc at the end of the week, i dont want to be checking my email all the time during my vacation!

anyway, im happy to see alternates getting grants, congratulations everyone!

Promoted from alternate to primary for Serbia ETA today!!! Unbelievably exciting. Good luck to all those still waiting and all alternates!

Congratulations!! That is so exciting. Do you know if the principal candidate for Serbia (there's only one, right?) turned it down, or if there is more funding available now? I'm trying to move on, but still holding out hope to be moved to principal for Montenegro... :)

Hello all,

I've updated the sheet with the new promotions to principal. We already had 4 alternates promoted to accepted represented on the spreadsheet. So this brings the sheet total to 6. They are listed below with their country, grant type, dates of notification, and days between notifications.

rll2866- Ecuador ETA (original notification: 3/19/12, promotion: 4/12/12) 25 days

Bildsprecherin- Germany ETA (original notification: 3/26/12, promotion: 4/26/12) 32 days

LLJKedge- Germany Full (original notification: 3/13/12, promotion: 4/02/12) 21 days

viktoria18- Serbia ETA (original notification: 4/17/12, promotion: 5/7/12) 20 days

sheelal90- Sri Lanka Full (original notification: 3/28/12, promotion: 4/11/12) 15 days

SOS18- Taiwan ETA (original notification: 4/9/12, promotion: 5/7/12) 29 days

Please let us know if you are promoted. :)

Btw, last year the sheet had 11 promotions out of 65 alternates (17%) and the year before had 21/76 alternates on the sheet promoted (28%).

Good luck to my fellow alternates!

Edited by Biz

Congratulations!! That is so exciting. Do you know if the principal candidate for Serbia (there's only one, right?) turned it down, or if there is more funding available now? I'm trying to move on, but still holding out hope to be moved to principal for Montenegro... :)

I'm not positive, but on the Eastern Europe Facebook group she didn't sound like she was planning on turning it down (when she originally joined), so hopefully that means more funding? Fingers crossed for you!

Congrats to all of the ALTERNATES being promoted to primaries! It's such good news!

I'm not sure if the individual managing the spreadsheet is still on this forum but it would be great to add this to the sheet.

Also, any ALTERNATES contemplating reapplying, and if so, are you starting the process now?

I'm wondering about reaching out to my contacts in Morocco, primarily those that supported my work, notifying them of my status, and asking them to support me again if I don't hear back.

I am an alternate ETA candidate for Venezuela. I would like to reapply next year, but I am struggling to go about altering my personal statement and statement of grant purpose. My skill set and interests that I described in my essays were very similar to the profile of the desired candidate that the Venezuelan Fulbright Commission described on the Fulbright website. I am not sure how much I will change over a year's time.

I'm not positive, but on the Eastern Europe Facebook group she didn't sound like she was planning on turning it down (when she originally joined), so hopefully that means more funding? Fingers crossed for you!

That's really good news. Hopefully there really is more funding.

Thank you for letting me know! And congratulations again!

Biz, thank you for updating the spreadsheet!

AFX^79- I'm also thinking of reapplying and I'm hoping to have even more people help me with my essays this time. I'm also looking into some volunteer opportunities right now that I know would strengthen my application. Other than that, I'm not quite sure what to rework either!

I am an alternate ETA candidate for Venezuela. I would like to reapply next year, but I am struggling to go about altering my personal statement and statement of grant purpose. My skill set and interests that I described in my essays were very similar to the profile of the desired candidate that the Venezuelan Fulbright Commission described on the Fulbright website. I am not sure how much I will change over a year's time.

You may want to consider applying to another country.