Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

I made a Facebook group! Facebook is being weird though and is alternating between letting me edit the group and telling me I don't have access to the group because I'm not a member, even though I am a member because I'm the admin of the group. Frustrating. Anyway, here's the link to the group: http://www.facebook....6648277/photos/

It's for all Turkey grantees, ETA and Full. =)

Edited by CairoKid

Congratulations to all who accepted =D Now, if your *you are =P thinking of declining the offer, DO IT! ^_^ Think of your poor alternate comrades, sitting all alone in their rooms contemplating their future!

Edited by ottomangreek

alternates if you are being promoted to principle status please, please let us know...some of us are loosing hope!

i think i'm going to reapply next year. is this a good time to start the 2013-2014 thread?

alternates if you are being promoted to principle status please, please let us know...some of us are loosing hope!

i think i'm going to reapply next year. is this a good time to start the 2013-2014 thread?

Best of luck reapplying. This was my second application round and it worked out for me.

Cyclone88 has already started Get your geek on!

Hey, I just found this website and am so excited that you all are on here! I was awarded the ETA Fulbright to Turkey as well! I just signed up for the FB group, so please add me. Really looking forward to keeping in touch with all of you in the next few months. I love the idea that we'd be familiar with each other before we even went over!

I'm considering reapplying to the Germany ETA for 2013-2014, but I'm not sure if my year in Austria (I start the USTA in September) puts me at a disadvantage for receiving the Germany grant. Because the grants are administered differently I think that I would still be allowed to do the Germany ETA--but if anyone knows anything about this I'd appreciate it!

Hey all! I am also a Turkey Fulbright ETA grantee (I found out on the 15th)! I am so incredibly excited to meet everyone and I requested to join the FB group. I am SO relieved that we did not have to wait until June like last year. Has anyone been contacted by their IIE program manager yet (besides the initial email from Rachel)? I was a little confused as to whether or not we were supposed to send a confirmation/acceptance email...

Edited by rebecca_joy_

I'm considering reapplying to the Germany ETA for 2013-2014, but I'm not sure if my year in Austria (I start the USTA in September) puts me at a disadvantage for receiving the Germany grant. Because the grants are administered differently I think that I would still be allowed to do the Germany ETA--but if anyone knows anything about this I'd appreciate it!

No, if anything the Austria ETA will help you get it. They look for people with experience, who can show that they will be able to handle the situations you are placed in. That is why they usually pick people who have done with prior study abroad. As far as the official policy is, there is no prejudice in applications. So a person can apply freely.

No, if anything the Austria ETA will help you get it. They look for people with experience, who can show that they will be able to handle the situations you are placed in. That is why they usually pick people who have done with prior study abroad. As far as the official policy is, there is no prejudice in applications. So a person can apply freely.

Awesome to hear. I was trying to figure that out--I know that abroad experience is a huge plus, but I know that they also don't like to give the Germany ETA to someone with TOO much experience abroad, the whole privilege thing and all that (which I actually tried to recognize in my personal statement...like demonstrating an awareness of everything I've been given and relate it to why I wanted to be an ETA).

Here's hoping 2013 will come through for me. I have a tentative offer for a teaching job in the US upon my return from Austria, though, so we'll see.

Are you planning to reapply for Germany/Austria/both?

Fulbright alternates, take heart! After suspension for a year, the Fulbright-Hays doctoral dissertation research grant was reinstated May 15, due June 14, for announcement soon thereafter, grants to begin as early as October. Many, many PhD student Fulbright awardees should be currently applying for this, as it provides more financial support than the Fulbright. Don't give up before Fulbright-Hays awards are announced!

Did we ever end up making a spreadsheet to document the grant award amounts for transparency's sake? I was just informed of the grant award amount to the country I applied to and wonder if we're contributing this information somewhere. Hope everyone is well.

I've been stalking this page for a while, finally decided to join in. I was originally an alternate and now have been moved up to an accepted applicant to Germany (Full).

I'm also going to start a fb group for people going from the US to Germany (there's one for Germany to US). The page should be done by tonight :)

Fulbright alternates, take heart! After suspension for a year, the Fulbright-Hays doctoral dissertation research grant was reinstated May 15, due June 14, for announcement soon thereafter, grants to begin as early as October. Many, many PhD student Fulbright awardees should be currently applying for this, as it provides more financial support than the Fulbright. Don't give up before Fulbright-Hays awards are announced!

Kexin, where/how did you hear this? I've read through the FAQ with the announcement and it says those who aren't selected will start getting notified in Feb/March and those selected anytime from April through the summer... Just trying to verify your info because, if it's true, that would be amazingly helpful!

Just wanted to put the word out there again - a Facebook group for all grantees to Indonesia is up! There are 7 of us so far and we'd love more company. We don't bite :D.

Hello all,

Have any other alternates received promotions? So far 10% (9/90) on the sheet have been promoted to accepted! Regardless of how futile the dream, here's to hoping for a few more. GL all.

Anywho, let us know.

Hello all,

Have any other alternates received promotions? So far 10% (9/90) on the sheet have been promoted to accepted! Regardless of how futile the dream, here's to hoping for a few more. GL all.

Anywho, let us know.

On the bright side, that's about equal to Fulbright's pay line in the first place. That is, approximately 10-15% of applicants receive awards (depending on the fiscal year). So our chances of getting promoted are about equal to our chances of getting a grant in the first place...

Congrats everyone who's been promoted from Alternate to Accepted! Any news from anyone regarding alternates for Spain ETAs? They said best chance of hearing back would be May and June and then significantly diminish following June, right?! :(