Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

alternate for a full grant to morocco. :(

i was also asked to provide a picture of myself.

i know it's typical to ask for a picture in france for all types of applications. i just didn't think they would ask us to do such a thing. it totally made me feel uncomfortable. a subjective way of selecting people, eh?

obviously there are a few of us on the list. like iridescence* i also did a search and found this link. i think there may be two other alternates (unless you are on this forum): http://www.cmc.edu/ml/arabic/Fellowships%20and%20National%20Awards/fellowships_and_national_awards.php

i just don't see why they would select so many alternates if there is a slim chance of getting the one to two (okay, possibly three) slots that may potentially open if funding becomes available?

i don't see the point but perhaps i just don't get how the process works. anyone have experience working with grants or scholarships that can shed some insight? :)

don't get me wrong...i'm glad i made it this far but things just feel like a lottery game now.

Full Grant. I do not know of anyone who got it.

Before the Fulbright website changeover, I checked out the 2010 winners and found 16 fulbright Full (not ETA) grant winners. All but two were undergraduates.

there was more funding back in 2010. they've made significant cuts from what i've read. i heard they got rid of the fulbright-hayes program. select applicants were supported when the mcarthur foundation or some other foundation forked the necessary funds. sad to see these programs go...

Edited by sukar

Full to Trinidad and Tobago! If anyone else is headed to the country or in the Caribbean region that wants to chat, let me know! Facebook me... Dylan Paul. Good luck to everyone in the middle of this insane selection process.

alternate for a full grant to morocco. :(

i was also asked to provide a picture of myself.

i know it's typical to ask for a picture in france for all types of applications. i just didn't think they would ask us to do such a thing. it totally made me feel uncomfortable. a subjective way of selecting people, eh?

obviously there are a few of us on the list. like iridescence* i also did a search and found this link. i think there may be two other alternates (unless you are on this forum): http://www.cmc.edu/m...onal_awards.php

i just don't see why they would select so many alternates if there is a slim chance of getting the one to two (okay, possibly three) slots that may potentially open if funding becomes available?

i don't see the point but perhaps i just don't get how the process works. anyone have experience working with grants or scholarships that can shed some insight? :)

don't get me wrong...i'm glad i made it this far but things just feel like a lottery game now.

Another two, assuming those two Morocco Fulbright finalists aren't on this forum.

This list of alternates is getting a bit substantial. Where is even one full grant winner for Morocco?

there was more funding back in 2010. they've made significant cuts from what i've read. i heard they got rid of the fulbright-hayes program. select applicants were supported when the mcarthur foundation or some other foundation forked the necessary funds. sad to see these programs go...

In previous years, there's been as many as 21 full Fulbright winners in Morocco (2008). 2009 saw 16. If I recall correctly, 2010 was also 16. Apparently, the budget cuts talks brought it down close or just below the advertised 12 last year. So, where is even one winner this year?

Sadly, I was Not Selected (sounds nicer than rejected) for Costa Rica full grant. Email came in at 4:58pm today.

Congratulations to everyone- regardless of whether you were selected, alt-ed, or ... ahem, given the opportunity to explore other possibilities. We all worked really hard, and have to keep in mind that it is an honor to even have been recommended to the destination countries at all!

I plan to reapply next year, and also apply for the Boren award- so I guess I'll see you all next year, same time, same place.

Sorry to hear that you were not selected.... your application was really strong though.... You're attitude is super great, I hope you do get it the second time around. Sometimes the second time is the charm (It was for me).

Another two, assuming those two Morocco Fulbright finalists aren't on this forum.

This list of alternates is getting a bit substantial. Where is even one full grant winner for Morocco?

In previous years, there's been as many as 21 full Fulbright winners in Morocco (2008). 2009 saw 16. If I recall correctly, 2010 was also 16. Apparently, the budget cuts talks brought it down close or just below the advertised 12 last year. So, where is even one winner this year?

found this http://news.stkate.edu/articles/arndt_fulbright.html

I was asked to provide a photo. I thought it was odd at first and inquired with others about it. However, I received a grant to teach English a few years ago and it was mandatory to include a passport-size photo with the application from the outset. In addition to every other application I had to fill out in France (for my carte-de-sejour to my rent application to my bank account application). I printed about 8 to 12 passport-sized photos! I imagine the Commission is requesting we do this since they abide to a similar system.

It is unfortunate that a number of cuts have been made. If the Moroccan FB Commission were still funding 21 awardees today, we would all be preparing to move as opposed to lingering in hopes of being the lucky 1 or 2 in what seems to be a long list of alternates.

Keepin' positive!!

Are you applying to Nicaragua? The reason I ask is that all the countries have their own preferances. In any case, mine was in anthropology and natural resources. A good place to look if you want to see the past grantee projects is on the website. There's an area where they list by year the past projects, and it looks like a general pattern in the region has been projects in public health, natural resources, women's issues, and anthrpology, but I'm sure it varies from place to place. Good luck!

Yes, I am applying to Nicaragua. I checked out the grantee directory and it's pretty helpful, although I wish they listed the project titles as well.

I know we're not yet discussing next year's grant cycle, but I have a somewhat urgent question! I have lived and worked in the country I would be applying to, although my project would take place in a totally different context/location. Would it be beneficial to get one of my letters of reference from someone in-country? Or would that work against me? I'll be going to visit Nicaragua next week, so I'm trying to decide whether or not to ask this potential referee to provide me with a recommendation.

Thanks for finding one of them. I am wondering how low the number of research grants are for this year.

It is unfortunate that a number of cuts have been made. If the Moroccan FB Commission were still funding 21 awardees today, we would all be preparing to move as opposed to lingering in hopes of being the lucky 1 or 2 in what seems to be a long list of alternates.

Keepin' positive!!

I certainly hope its not as low as one or two. This has involved years of intense work and this is not my first alternate listing for Morocco. To think that just a few years ago there were more than 20 grantees is extremely painful to consider.

Edited by zxcvbnm

It would be a really nice graduation present if we could find out this week. It's my college's senior week right now, so we have the entire week to do whatever we want until graduation. Which is terrible because I'm just sitting in front of my laptop refreshing my email, or checking my email on my phone constantly. I WANT TO CELEBRATE (or if I don't get it, then I want to drown my sorrows and move on).

Awarded Fulbright ETA to Turkey! WOW! SUCH A LONG WAIT. Congratulations to those who won the Fulbright, to the alternates and to those who made it to the final round.

For those who were awarded an ETA to Turkey, let's chat details. Also, alternates do not worry some of us may drop, as Turkey informed us so late. Especially me, I'm conflicted now! :(

^^

I know what you mean about being conflicted. I'm 95% sure I'm taking it. I just got so excited about my Master's program that it's hard to defer it for a year now. But Turkey will be an incredibly rewarding experience and I'm excited to go back. We should make a Facebook group like the other countries did. =)

CairoKid: "I know what you mean about being conflicted. I'm 95% sure I'm taking it. I just got so excited about my Master's program that it's hard to defer it for a year now. But Turkey will be an incredibly rewarding experience and I'm excited to go back. We should make a Facebook group like the other countries did. =)"

I agree, we should definitely make a Facebook page. However, I don't know the first step to making a Facebook group page (sorry). Would someone else take the initiative. My conflict is I got accepted to this other fellowship to Germany for a year. Germany and Turkey are my countries of interest. Hopefully, we can create this Facebook group and possibly discuss the program together.