Acceptance = New Piercing or Tattoo?

wannabeaphd

In the spirit of the “What will you treat yourself to?” thread, I thought we might start a thread on the subject of treating yourself to that new piercing/tattoo when you get accepted.

First off, do you all think that piercings/tats are acceptable in grad school/academia? Will you keep your new piercing just for grad school then have to take it out again when you go on the job market? How do you think your advisor will react to the new art if you’ve met him/her before you got your new piercing/tat? Are there fields where this is more/less acceptable? And what do current grad students think?

Now the fun part:

So what are you going to get? I had dual nose rings (studs actually) in college. I had to take them out after college for a job, but now I’m thinking about getting them back for grad school and beyond!

And why do you want to get it? I want to get mine back because I think they were really cute, I liked how they made my face look, and I’m interested in doing just a little of the youthful rebellion thing while I’m still technically young enough (almost 29) to do it!

Anyone else? :)

I keep telling myself I'll get a tattoo to celebrate my undergrad, but can never think of anything super meaningful for me!

I've thought about a nose piercing, but I sneeze too much in the winter, lol.

In my experience, assuming you don't have a facial tattoo or attention-drawing piercings, it's acceptable as a grad student. Not sure how this is looked upon as you try to find a job afterward through.

Thanks for starting the thread, interested in reading what people share!

Best!

In my current program I'm in developmental psych and have 6 tattoos that are relatively easy to hide. As long as you can hide the piercing/tattoo during professional occasions, it shouldn't be a problem. My current advisor nor my mentor cared about my tattoos, as long as I was professional, and a good bit of the grad students have tattoos in easy to hide locations.

Now that I have an acceptance, I am considering another tattoo as a present to myself. Not sure what just yet. I have a few ideas, but no designs.

Edited by tauren

I'm all about piercing and tattoo acceptance in the workplace. That feeling might change someday when I have to take a teaching position in Backwardsville and I won't be allowed to have a uterus never mind a visible tattoo. But for now I'm going to keep on with my addiction, thankyouverymuch.

I have an inordinately large back piece already, and I have more modestly‒sized chest piece planned. I would like to give that to myself as a graduation gift, and a going‒away present (my artist is based in NYC), but I know I'm going to need the money to move. Perhaps I will allow myself to get a smaller thing that is literature‒related if I get in anywhere.

My lip is also pierced and I wear a tiny gem that I can very repulsively hide in its own hole. Ha!

I have one easy-to-hide tattoo on the arch of my foot, and I want to get something psychology-related eventually, but I'm not sure what, when, or where. I do want a new piercing! I think I'll go with something simple. I've been wanting another one on my right ear for awhile. Maybe I'll get it as a celebratory thing. I like that idea. :) From what I've heard/seen, understated, tasteful piercings and tattoos are fine in academia, even if they're visible.

I've said this in other posts, but I might as well centralize my body modification goals in one thread :P

I want a large Athena tattoo on my thigh if I get in (complete with spear/shield, owl, and wreathed with poppies), and I'm debating swapping out my septum retainer for a ring. Some of the other threads about piercings made me a bit nervous about that though so I'm kind of reconsidering. At least a considerably large thigh piece would be easy to hide.

I already have 9 piercings (two in my nose, the rest in my ears) and a two part tattoo on the backs of my calves, but no colorwork as of yet...

I'm all about piercing and tattoo acceptance in the workplace. That feeling might change someday when I have to take a teaching position in Backwardsville and I won't be allowed to have a uterus never mind a visible tattoo. But for now I'm going to keep on with my addiction, thankyouverymuch.

I chuckled out loud when I read this. You are awesome.

Just got my first acceptance last week... and I'm definitely considering the tattoo. Thinking of doing a Japanese dragon holding an apple on my left shoulder. Still kind of waiting for the excitement of being accepted to wear off before I make a final decision, though.

I have a tattoo on the inside of my left wrist; it's a semi colon. I will get another tattoo if I'm accepted. I'm not sure what yet, probably English related though. I had a nose ring for awhile in college. I would consider getting another one.

I've decided that I'm getting a new tattoo for every major academic achievement. I got my first tattoo shortly before I graduated high school, and I'm planning my second to celebrate my BA. It's going to be on the side of my foot (easy to hide - like all of them will be) and it will be "la lunática, la amante, la poeta" which is from the line "the lunatic, the lover, and the poet" from Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream.

(My first one was from the show "Supernatural," after the Shakespeare it will be from "Doctor Who," and then after that more Shakespeare - this time from The Tempest). So yeah, all my tattoos show what a giant TV/lit nerd I am, and I am okay with that. :D

Edited by caitlee91

I've had a marilyn monroe piercing for ~8 years now, and no job has ever made/suggested that I take it out, and it was never even an issue with my advisors. I currently have half of my forearm tattooed (inside) with a peace dove and a benjamin franklin quote, and upon acceptance I plan to fill the rest of my forearm with a tribute to "the giving tree". I have to say once I made the promise to myself, it made it all the more exciting! (not that applying in itself isn't exciting or stressful)

Edited by CookiesForDinner

All my current tattoos are text, and I plan to continue the trend with my next one....which I plan to get once I've made a decision about where I'm going to grad school, and once I actually have my BA in hand ;)

I'm thinking something from Donne or Milton, but not sure where to put it yet.....forearm was my first thought, but having a visible Donne tattoo in an Early Modern department might be a bit much. I don't want to be "that" kid, ya know? Perhaps I'll have to hide it better.....

As for piercings, I've been slowly but surely de-piercing myself for the last few years......but I think I'm at a place that I'm cool with for now.

That's awesome! :) I have visible tattoos and I never hide them. I have one on each wrist and one of them goes half way up my forearm. I don't think tattoos really matter in academia - or at least that what I've been told. But as with all first impressions, I have been "warned" that people will still make flash judgements based on my ink. I figure, if an employer can't handle my tattoos then they're not going to like me and it's not going to work out, so it's better that I don't get hired there.

I've had a marilyn monroe piercing for ~8 years now, and no job has ever made/suggested that I take it out, and it was never even an issue with my advisors. I currently have half of my forearm tattooed (inside) with a peace dove and a benjamin franklin quote, and upon acceptance I plan to fill the rest of my forearm with a tribute to "the giving tree". I have to say once I made the promise to myself, it made it all the more exciting! (not that applying in itself isn't exciting or stressful)

Hmm, well if you haven't had problems with a monroe, then maybe I'll just get my nose piercing now! I did get my first acceptance on Friday. I am worried about a super conservative employer not liking the piercing though. Nostril piercings generally aren't going to be a problem, right? They've been quite mainstream for awhile now.

Hmm, well if you haven't had problems with a monroe, then maybe I'll just get my nose piercing now! I did get my first acceptance on Friday. I am worried about a super conservative employer not liking the piercing though. Nostril piercings generally aren't going to be a problem, right? They've been quite mainstream for awhile now.

I've honestly never had anyone say anything about my nose stud. I've accidentally forgot I even had it in before and worn it to interviews (and beat myself up about it afterward) but then got a job anyways at somewhere "professional." I also have a wrist tattoo, but I purposely got it on my left wrist since Americans shake with their right hand and I'm right-handed, so hiding that particular wrist during interviews or job tasks has never been a problem.

I have a small stud in my right nostril, and most people don't even notice it's there. I forgot to take it out for my first grad school interview and I would be very surprised if anyone there was secretly bothered by it. The only problem I had with it was in food service, and even then, it was only when we got a crazy manager. She made me put a band-aid over my nose, because a band-aid is clearly inconspicuous and unlikely to fall off. :rolleyes:

I've had my nose pierced for about 4 years now and I've never had a problem - I didn't take it out for my interview a couple weeks ago either. It's tiny, tasteful, and not really noticeable (or at least, I don't notice it, and while others do it's typically not something that jumps out at them at first). They are relatively mainstream and if you get a tiny stud I don't think it'd be a big deal.

In celebration of acceptance (if I get one) I will be getting a bird tattoo on my wrist - I drew it myself a few years ago and when I saw the quote "I always wonder why birds choose to stay in the same place when they can fly anywhere on the earth - then I ask myself the same question" - Harun Yahya, I wanted it to represent freedom to fly around the world, following my dreams, direction, etc. My husband is getting a compass on his shoulder in commemoration of our time here for the same reasons.

I'm thinking I might get my eyebrow re-pierced (for the 3rd or 4th time) and one of my tats re-done if I get into my top choice with some money. It's an alternative-culture school so this is actually one where I think I would fit in better with the faculty if I DID have those things.

In celebration of acceptance (if I get one) I will be getting a bird tattoo on my wrist - I drew it myself a few years ago and when I saw the quote "I always wonder why birds choose to stay in the same place when they can fly anywhere on the earth - then I ask myself the same question" - Harun Yahya, I wanted it to represent freedom to fly around the world, following my dreams, direction, etc. My husband is getting a compass on his shoulder in commemoration of our time here for the same reasons.

That sounds really awesome!! Are you planning on getting the words with it, or just the bird?

I like that idea abc123xtc! I thought about getting the Long Beqach city seal tatooed somewhere -- because it was the such a happy time for me -- but I haven't done it. I'm thinking STRONGLY about getting it if/when I move back (which i seriously hope to do... if I can ever afford a house).

That sounds really awesome!! Are you planning on getting the words with it, or just the bird?

Thanks!

Probably just the bird, because it'll be relatively small (don't want it to crawl up my forearm), but I might throw a highlight word in there underneath the curve of its wings or something.

I still need to get a tattoo I've been meaning to get for years. But if I got into a PhD program I'd probably look to splurge on either a new Apple iPad or a new Mac Pro and keep my older Macbook Pro for portable uses. Actually I probably couldn't afford a new Mac Pro but I miss having a powerful desktop so one day I'll get one. More realistically I'd treat myself to a new MBP or iPad.