MSW programs in the Bay Area

Twoone

I am applying for MSW at SJSU, CSUMB and at CSU East Bay for Fall 2014!

I'm nervous about CSU East Bay because I read they review and accept applicants on a rolling on basis and I still have yet to complete and submit my entire application to them =/

CSU EB is rolling? Where did you read this?>>>

@California Dreamer: Re: CSU EAST BAY

visit http://www20.csueastbay.edu/class/departments/socialwork/apply.html

-Click on the "Application Information and Checklist" link

-on page 2: read this paragraph:

"Application Deadline

Applications will be accepted from October 1, 2013 through February 7, 2014 and will be reviewed in the order in which they were received. Early submission of complete applications is strongly recommended."

^^^ROLLING ON BASIS....^^^

Also, I specifically read it on one of the pages out of the many links...will try to find it...

However, click on "The Letter to the Applicant" link

and the opposite is stated, in where it says REVIEW will begin after application closes which was on Feb. 7th!

"Review and evaluation of MSW applications will begin when applications close on February 7, 2014. You will be notified of your admission status once the review process has been completed. A mandatory orientation for those admitted will be conducted prior to the beginning of the fall quarter; usually one week before classes start."

They have always been a "rolling on basis" in reviewing applications from what I heard... so I tried my best to submit my app asap and got it in by Fri. Jan. 10th

For those of you that applied to CSU East Bay or have heard about the MSW program. Do you know of anyone currently enrolled? What is the job placement like? Is there a level of respect in the community for the school and the MSW program? I am an out of state resident but do not know the reputation of the program? :P

For those of you that applied to CSU East Bay or have heard about the MSW program. Do you know of anyone currently enrolled? What is the job placement like? Is there a level of respect in the community for the school and the MSW program? I am an out of state resident but do not know the reputation of the program? :P

A friend of mine graduated last year with her msw from east bay. She said it was okay and didn't really have great things to say about it. Just lots of work in a small period of time. It was her back up school and since she attended there she obviously didn't get into the other schools she applied to. As for job wise, it also had an impact on her employment search from what she said. She said the more "desirable employer" were more prone to hiring someone from a more "prestige" school since she applied for jobs where more Berkeley, sfsu, and usc graduates attended but I'm sure there is more to it. She had a 4.0 so I really don't know. Good luck with your apps.

A friend of mine graduated last year with her msw from east bay. She said it was okay and didn't really have great things to say about it. Just lots of work in a small period of time. It was her back up school and since she attended there she obviously didn't get into the other schools she applied to. As for job wise, it also had an impact on her employment search from what she said. She said the more "desirable employer" were more prone to hiring someone from a more "prestige" school since she applied for jobs where more Berkeley, sfsu, and usc graduates attended but I'm sure there is more to it. She had a 4.0 so I really don't know. Good luck with your apps.

Well... thats concerning. I did not get into Berkeley :unsure: Which was my first choice. I have not heard back from SFSU or CSU East Bay as of yet but would like to attend a school that I would not have a difficult time getting a job....I also want to be respected in the community..... Isnt that the point of it all? To get a good job and help save the world <_< 

EB is on the quarter system, so yes, its fast. For those who love this format it works well, for those who need more time to digest the information and have time for things other then studying then it doesn't work so well.  I'm attending now and love the quarter system, but my son is who is in Community College likes the semester system better after seeing my insanity this quarter with 22 units. 

As someone said on another board, What really matters what you do with the classes you take and the education you are given, not where you go to get it. There could be more we don't know about why this person didn't get a job, maybe it was where she interned, maybe she can test well and gets good grades, but doesn't come across well in interviews. Who knows.

I would prefer to go to EB for the MSW for several reasons. I like the professors I've had so far, most all are inspiring. Its reasonable to my home (more like a hour drive) and I believe the education they will provide will be as good as other schools.

To me its not about the name of the school, I'm not so interested in attending a big name school. I've learned over the years that a big name school doesn't always equate to a smarter/intelligent person, it means they had the money to attend and passed the classes. It really is about what they do with it that will impress me.

Yes, I'm waiting to hear back from the MSW program and No, I don't know any information about where they are at.

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to share that I got a call from Director Goldman around noon today from SJSU.  I am accepted to the 2 year health/mental health program.  Yay!  I almost didn't pick up the call because it's Sunday and I thought it was spam!  Director Goldman said he already made 10+ calls to other students who are also admitted for Fall 2014.  He informed me the phone call was just "congratulatory", and that we would be receiving emails too.  Immediately after, I received the admissions email.

For those of you still waiting, he told me that it's still early in the admissions process, so don't fret if you don't hear from him immediately!  He said it was competitive this year, because 400+ applicants are vying for 100 spots.  I'm still waiting on other applications so I haven't formally accepted the offer just yet, but it's very tempting!  Good luck to you all!

On another note; For CSU East Bay, I applied as well (on the last day) and was told that the odds of acceptance are under 24%.  They are extremely competitive, if not more so then SJSU because of a smaller class size. 

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to share that I got a call from Director Goldman around noon today from SJSU.  I am accepted to the 2 year health/mental health program.  Yay!  I almost didn't pick up the call because it's Sunday and I thought it was spam!  Director Goldman said he already made 10+ calls to other students who are also admitted for Fall 2014.  He informed me the phone call was just "congratulatory", and that we would be receiving emails too.  Immediately after, I received the admissions email.

For those of you still waiting, he told me that it's still early in the admissions process, so don't fret if you don't hear from him immediately!  He said it was competitive this year, because 400+ applicants are vying for 100 spots.  I'm still waiting on other applications so I haven't formally accepted the offer just yet, but it's very tempting!  Good luck to you all!

On another note; For CSU East Bay, I applied as well (on the last day) and was told that the odds of acceptance are under 24%.  They are extremely competitive, if not more so then SJSU because of a smaller class size. 

Thanks for the update! I'm shocked regarding CSUEB. I talked with an admissions counselor at SFSU about a year ago, and she said that CSUEB was the least competitive! I guess things have changed! Congrats on your acceptance !!!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone,

24%!!!!!!

I don't think its more competitive than sjsu. They have the same class size if not off by 20. It all depends now if those who were offered early admission follow through with their intent to attend. If not, it'll open more spots.

How many days do they give the early admits to accept ?

Honestly, I'm not quite clear on that either.  I think I'll have at least until mid-April or so, but not sure.  I am assuming they will contact me about my decision when the time comes.  The following is the admissions' email I received:

Dear ******,

Please be informed that your application to our MSW Program for Fall 2014 admission has been reviewed, and that we are offering you a spot in our 2-year program with your chosen Field of Practice; Health/Mental Health. Congratulations, and we look forward to you joining us!  Please confirm (preferably via email) your intent to enroll with us, and I will process your official admission through the University.  You will receive further information from us later in the Spring, but please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you have further questions.

Barry Goldman-Hall, LCSW

MSW Admissions Director

School of Social Work

San Jose State University

Honestly, I'm not quite clear on that either. I think I'll have at least until mid-April or so, but not sure. I am assuming they will contact me about my decision when the time comes. The following is the admissions' email I received:

Dear ******,

Please be informed that your application to our MSW Program for Fall 2014 admission has been reviewed, and that we are offering you a spot in our 2-year program with your chosen Field of Practice; Health/Mental Health. Congratulations, and we look forward to you joining us! Please confirm (preferably via email) your intent to enroll with us, and I will process your official admission through the University. You will receive further information from us later in the Spring, but please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you have further questions.

Barry Goldman-Hall, LCSW

MSW Admissions Director

School of Social Work

San Jose State University

Congrats!!!! I bet you will enjoy the mental health program! And thank you for answering my question! :)

BTW, does anyone know if the people who chose the family and youth field (or something of that sort) has been contacted yet? Because that's the field I applied to...