How bad it is to live in a very cold place?

khaled

Question

I got an admission from a top university in my field and everything about it is great (awesome program, great fit, very strong in my area, cheap, ....etc) 

I'm really worried about the cold winter. the school is located in Illinois and I'm from a country where it doesn't snow, AT ALL. 

what do u guys think?

I have lived in cold climates all my life and i am still not used to it. lots of people aging people spend as much time down south as they can for good reason. it suck but, we get through it. Dressing properly makes all the differences in the world. Participating in winter activities also makes it enjoyable. A couple of years in the cold will be good for you.

It's not so bad... I've lived in Wisconsin my whole life, though.

The cold can easily be managed with layering - heavy jacket, good winter boots, sweaters, etc.  Wear a hat, gloves, mittens, etc.  You'll be fine.

The worst part is getting used to snow/ice driving.  That's the part that sucks.  The more you can rely on public transportation, the better.  This shouldn't be a huge problem if you're in Chicago or in a city with a good transit system.

Edited by Biohopeful

It's not so bad. Born and raised in Illinois here. Granted, the winters here can be brutal or they can be quite mild. It depends on the year really. But what I can say invest in some nice warm boots and learn to layer clothes properly to be warm and you'll be fine. It's really about getting through the weather and not enjoying it. I hate snow. And if I can do it, trust me anyone can. Good luck on your journey!

I made a similar move as you about ten years ago. I'm glad I did it. While I will be going to grad school back home in the warmer snow-free climate, I learned a lot living in a new area. If you do the make the move, just keep these things in kind: - You will need to invest money into buying quality winter gear. Add that into your budget and start shopping now. A lot of stores are placing their winter stuff on sale (LL Bean, REI, Altrec, etc.). You don't have to spend a lot, but you also don't want to re-purchase things that fall apart. I like LL Bean for that reason, they will accept returns if something goes wrong at any point. - Monitor your mood. If you start to feel yourself slump or you just feel more 'down', you may just need a little bit of fresh air, human company, and vitamin D. - Build a social group. Spending winters alone sucks. - Congratulate yourself after making it through your first winter. Nature will do some of that for you by offering you incredibly beautiful spring weather and scenery. Take pictures, soak up the sun, and restock up on winter gear if you need it.

I love the cold weather and snow, and I prefer to be in areas like that. I find locations that lack seasons to be incredibly boring. There's nothing worse than walking to class in your new Christmas sweater only to have the temperature jump 30 degrees in the middle of February, and you have to take it off.

I wouldn't worry about the snow. It's only a nuisance when you have to drive somewhere or have to shovel around your home. And cold days are pretty tolerable if you wear a jacket, gloves, and a hat.

Congratulations on getting into your top choice!

I'm originally from a country that is 130F over the summer and moved to Illinois (Chicago) 2 years ago. I tried getting used to it (layering and such), but I'm still not able to able to handle it and that is why I applied to schools in warmer areas. 

With that said, I am someone who loves the heat, has a weak immune system (so I get sick often winter time, especially in big cities), and am in love with running outdoors year-round. So I am biased. In grad school, you will be spending a lot time studying/reading/researching, so you actually might not feel the pain. Plus, I think the school you are referring to is easy to commute around, so you're not going to deal with being outside too much.

If you are absolutely in love with the outdoors (hiking, running, etc.), this might be tough. Otherwise, I would say go for it since it's a great school! Just make sure to layer up (not just 1 jacket!)

I'm from the South, and I lived in a very cold region for a few years (like 30 degrees below zero sometimes). You adapt. I was honestly colder in the fall than winter because in the fall, I'd just add a light jacket to my normal clothes, whereas in the winter, I was all bundled. As long as you have warm stuff to put on (coats, hat, mittens), then it's fine.

Born and raised in Michigan here. Fall/winter is my favorite season for fashion. 

Invest in quality winter gear (coat, fleece jacket, winter boots, scarfs, gloves, and hats). For instance, I paid $150 (on sale) for my long winter coat (down to my knees) but it has protected me very well from the blizzard-like conditions this winter. If you are planning to walk a lot outside or use public transportation, a sturdy coat is a MUST so you don't freeze outside. When the weather is warmer (above 40'F), you can wear a fleece jacket. I also paid $70 for my thick winter boots (not rain boots!) for walking in deep snow. I have an assortment of colorful scarfs for decoration. Also buy corduroy pants and sweaters and thick socks to wear underneath. Expect to use a lot of lotion to keep your skin from getting too dry. 

I don't think it should be a factor that stops you from going to this school if you like everything else about it.

However, personally;

I'm from a warm area, but spent many years in Boston and a couple years in (a cold part of) Utah. I have to say that at the time it seemed even fun at times, but looking back its pretty obvious how unhappy I was. This is a personal thing; I love hiking, kayaking, etc, and when half of the year is too cold to go outside, I think this made me very stir crazy. If you're an "outdoorsy" type, it may be worth it to look at your other options. If not, go for it.

Edited by epsilon

I love hiking, kayaking, etc, and when half of the year is too cold to go outside, I think this made me very stir crazy. If you're an "outdoorsy" type, it may be worth it to look at your other options. If not, go for it.

I think you raise a good point, but at the same time, it depends on your particular brand of "outdoorsy". There's plenty of outdoor activities to do, even in winter: skiing, snowboarding, sledding, snowshoeing, ice skating, hockey, dog sledding, ice fishing... Obviously these might not be particularly appealing to someone who isn't used to snow and cold, but they're definitely still options.

I grew up in NY and had to teach my Florida raised daughters how to deal with winter. I agree with th folks who recommended investing in quality winter clothes and also love LL Bean -- especially the stuff on sale.

1) a good water resistent coat that covers your rear end. My older daughter wanted to be more fashionable and suffered that first winter. Go to Goodwill or Salvation Army for other wool coats as you want them.

2) hats and s pair of ear muffs. Wind will really hurt your ears. Most body eat is lost from your head.

3) staying safe in the cold is more about dry extremities than warmth. Wool gloves are good but you must have something water proof when the snow and icy rain starts. Boots can be expensive but worth it. And keep a clean pair of socks in a plastic bag for when your feet get wet.

4) previous poster also recommended layers because it can be down right hot in parts of old buildings.

5) I also agree with previous post about enjoying the outdoor sports as much as possible. Sled and play in the snow like a kid.

yknow, i'm always freezing, and i used to hate cold weather, be it snowy or windy or damp or whatever. i always thought i'd end up doing my undergrad somewhere warm (most of the schools i applied to were in california, texas, and the mid-atlantic), but i ended up in boston. turns out "cold" isn't so awful once you're thoroughly clothed and find a hobby that's dependent on snow or ice that suits you! then again, i discovered my inner adrenaline junkie thanks to snow sports, so i might be a biased source. :) mostly, you just need to get used to layering up your clothes, and planning out travel routes to maximize warmth and safety.

Cold weather isn't so bad. In fact, there are many things you will find better than hot climates

-warm drinks are more enjoyable

-you don't have to worry about getting all sweaty walking across campus for most of the academic year

-you will be more motivated to stay in a warm place to do your work

-there are less bugs and other creatures to bother you in your apartment or on your way to class

-snow is better than rain because the ground gets icy and hard instead of gross and muddy

Just make sure you have sturdy winter clothing, a good pair of warm hiking boots especially.

I'd argue it's easier to stay warm in the cold than it is to stay cool when it's 102 degrees F outside

Oh yes. But the worst is places that manage to be both very cold in winter and very hot and humid in the summer (I'm looking at you, mid-western US). 

Layers and good boots (with good warm socks) will keep you covered in the cold. There's not much you can do when it's hot and sticky! 

I've lived in a pretty cold city my entire life (gets to around -40 some days in the winter), and it only really sucks if you have a long commute. i'm an indoor person so i spend most of my time, well, indoors, but waiting for/being on freezing transit upwards of 2 hours a day is a killer.

Thank you very much guys. It seems that there's nothing to worry about as long as I have good winter clothes/shoes :)

I do have a concern about driving in winter. I'd appreciate it if you share your experiences.

khaled: will you be bringing a car with you, or will you be purchasing one? if you're purchasing one, i highly recommend older subarus. newer ones (2007 and later) aren't so wonderful, but 2001-2006 subarus handle really well on all kinds of snow, including the sketchy stuff we get in the sierras in winter (read: black ice, general awfulness).

Seconding pears. You should be fine if you get a car with all wheel drive and watch the weather reports. Watch out for conditions that may cause black ice, and try to avoid driving until the streets have been plowed. In most cities that are experienced with snow, you should only have to wait overnight (at most) for the streets to clear. Go slow and leave yourself lots of time to stop. If there is a snow storm warning, try to avoid a major commute, especially in the highway. No one wants to be part of the giant traffic jam forced to sleep in their cars.

Other winter car tips: invest in a snow shovel with a metal blade. Keep a smaller one in the car and a normal size one in the house. If you keep your only snow shovel in the car, you will have to dig out your snow-covered car with nothing but your feeble hands. When digging out the car, do not start the engine until the exhaust pipe has been cleared, lest you gas yourself to death. Finally, keep a sack of sand or kitty litter in the trunk during winter months. The gritty stuff can provide traction on icy surfaces when you are trying to escape a driveway/parking spot, and the extra weight in the trunk can help lighter-weight cars from getting stuck while trying to pull out.

:). I'm originally from Atlanta, so my winter weather knowledge is hard-won! (Warm weather folks, I am living proof that you can conquer the cold! Just get a coat that is much warmer than you think you'll need. Trust the nice weather-rating folks at LL Bean.)