The Waiting Game - Fall 2014

monfemme

eriatarka - I am in a similar situation with one of my recommenders. My two other letter writers submitted well before the deadlines while the third is submitting on or after the deadlines. But after having spoken to this recommender in particular, other professors, and the admissions departments where I'm applying it seems like this is not unusual at all. Apparently it's very common for letters of reference to be submitted right at the deadline, or even just after. At least, that has been the response I've gotten from everyone I've asked. I know it's hard not be anxious about this, I've been checking my e-mail every hour, but try not to pester you recommender too much! Especially as it sounds like they are actually meeting the deadlines, whereas mine was actually a few days late for the Berkeley application. 

Good luck with your apps! :)

Wide- they have a good program. Most years they don't take any forensic phd's. Funding is limited and very competitive for the anthro department. I have a friend currently there. Had funding in years 1-3 no funding 2-4

Thanks for the info. They said something like "not all students are automatically funded" so I feel like it is sketchy. 

To those worrying about late recs, I would not worry too much -- as long as the letter in before the 1st, you should be fine.  Committees generally don't meet until after break and they know there's only so much you can do about late letters. 

Thank you to the last 2 posters... I didn't realize there was any wiggle room with sending the recs in.

However, my final recommender just informed me that all my letters are in! I can breathe easily for now  B)  All done.

Schools don't care about the recs letters coming in on time. The schools understand since they have profs who sometimes don't send in recs on time and its out of the students hands. All just want them before the committee meets which is at least a week after the deadline and even then they will look at the app without all the letters and sometimes even accept the student with the understanding they will get the recs in before they start

Schools don't care about the recs letters coming in on time. The schools understand since they have profs who sometimes don't send in recs on time and its out of the students hands. All just want them before the committee meets which is at least a week after the deadline and even then they will look at the app without all the letters and sometimes even accept the student with the understanding they will get the recs in before they start

Which PhD program are you attending? 

widefellow- I've spoken to Dr. Warren at UF and he's taking 1-2 forensic PhD students this year (I'm applying there too!)

Apps also in to UT Knoxville (first choice) and USF, app for Tulane not due until February and my super backup-backup here at good ol U of L isn't due until March (weird, right?).

For others who are applying to UTK, several profs are taking PhD's in forensics next fall. I'll tell you now though that you should have already contacted them. I've heard (from a reliable source) that they absolutely do not accept students they have not talked to- not that I blame them though.

Also, they email you before you get the letter. I applied there for my Master's but... due to an incorrectly picked recommender... you get the point. I do however hope a decision takes less time this go around, I didn't find that out until March!

Hey All!  This is my first time applying. I've applied to 4/5 schools so far (for a PhD in Anthro, Archaeology track)- Chicago, Northwestern, Berkeley, and Stanford. I still have Boston University to go, although that is an Archaeology PhD, technically. It is due January 1. I have a solid archaeology job right now, so I decided to just apply to top choices, being prepared to get rejected everywhere and have to reapply to more schools next year. I'd rather spend another year improving my resume and application and try again than go to a second choice school this time around.

Does anyone know when anthro programs usually make their decisions?  Also, I couldn't afford to visit any of the schools, though I've had really productive emails with professors. Will not visiting severely hurt my chances? Thanks!

Does anyone know when anthro programs usually make their decisions?  Also, I couldn't afford to visit any of the schools, though I've had really productive emails with professors. Will not visiting severely hurt my chances? Thanks!

So, I have already started compulsively checking the results board (although I am fully aware that I am a little early--blame the boredom), but based on the notifications in previous years most of the schools start contacting for interviews around the middle of January and informing of acceptances/rejections mid-February. Although if you get waitlisted or are in that pool of candidates between definite acceptance and definite rejection then you could end up waiting until April/May. Let's hope it doesn't take that long though.

As for visiting, I never went cause I wasn't sure about the procedure. Bump on that question! Also, what have been other people's experiences with visiting schools? When in the process/How was it?

Hey All!  This is my first time applying. I've applied to 4/5 schools so far (for a PhD in Anthro, Archaeology track)- Chicago, Northwestern, Berkeley, and Stanford. I still have Boston University to go, although that is an Archaeology PhD, technically. It is due January 1. I have a solid archaeology job right now, so I decided to just apply to top choices, being prepared to get rejected everywhere and have to reapply to more schools next year. I'd rather spend another year improving my resume and application and try again than go to a second choice school this time around.

Hi archeostudent! We're applying to a couple of the same schools! My POI at Northwestern says interview offers will be extended and held in January sometime.

Thanks! @xstopfloating - So we are! what's your area of interest? may I ask who you want to work with at Northwestern? My intended focus is historical archaeology, historic brothels specifically. Maybe we'll end up at the same place, who knows! :)

Edited by archeostudent

Thanks! @xstopfloating - So we are! what's your area of interest? may I ask who you want to work with at Northwestern? My intended focus is historical archaeology and I also applied to be in the Gender and Sexuality Studies cluster. Maybe we'll end up at the same place, who knows! :)

archeostudent, I'm going to PM you!

I'm only applying to three schools (UCSD, SDSU, and UCR), but all of my apps are in.  Of course I have to deal with harassing my recommenders and lost GRE scores and so on and so forth, but it's mostly done! 

Have a meeting today (not an interview, just a meeting that I set up independently) with a potential grad advisor and another one on January 2nd.  I'm so nervous!  I have no idea how these things are supposed to go.

Edited by strudelle

I am so surprised by this!!!

Received an email notification this morning from the University of Albany, SUNY to check my admissions status online. Logged on & was surprised to see an acceptance to the PhD program in Anthropology (Archaeology)... so soon! Funding info to follow. I'm in a state of disbelief right now because it's still December.

Received an email notification this morning from the University of Albany, SUNY to check my admissions status online. Logged on & was surprised to see an acceptance to the PhD program in Anthropology (Archaeology)... so soon! Funding info to follow. I'm in a state of disbelief right now because it's still December.

Congratulations on your acceptance! And on being the first! :D

congrats! who's your POI there? dr. masson is very nice, from the few interactions i had with her. :)

Congratulations!  I've heard great things about Dr. Masson.  Let's all keep our fingers crossed that other programs will be this quick to decide!