2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dedi

Your GRE scores are a little concerning, especially since you're coming in with a psychology degree and your quant is a bit low. The lab experience is great and thankfully you did seek out coursework in biology and chemistry. All in all, as long as the program doesn't place high emphasis on the GRE you've got a good chance.

Agreed. Luckily, GRE is lower on the list of things important to an adcom.

Agreed. Luckily, GRE is lower on the list of things important to an adcom.

Caution, this may be true of the adcoms, however it has been my experience that in order to get to an adcom, your scores (GPA and GRE) will be used to determine if your application is seen. So make sure you are in the range that you see on the results page.

Caution, this may be true of the adcoms, however it has been my experience that in order to get to an adcom, your scores (GPA and GRE) will be used to determine if your application is seen. So make sure you are in the range that you see on the results page.

Thank you guys. Are the schools I chose appropriate based on my credentials? I did research on them and from what I learned about them I should be ok as my research matches. I am praying for an acceptance letter. I retook the gre and studied all summer and got the same verbal and quant. I just run outta time on each section and ended up omiting many answers.

Long time lurker - got tired of freaking myself out comparing my stats to everyone else's, so please have at mine! I am really not sure what my chances are, so any comment or advice would be so greatly appreciated.  :)

Undergrad Institution: Large public university, top 5 public for biology
Major(s): Biology; Biochemistry/Cell Biology emphasis
Minor(s): Music, Cognitive Science
GPA in Major: 3.44 (not great, 1 not-so-great year followed by 2 really good ones. Should I even bother explaining?)
Overall GPA: 3.32
Position in Class: top 25%? I have no idea.
Type of Student: domestic female

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 156
V: 162
W: 3.0 (I have no idea what happened - I'm retaking in a week)
B: just took this a couple days ago, practice test was ~85th percentile if i recall correctly

Research Experience: Extensive. 3 year internship at a top 10 academic research institute under a big shot PI, 2 years as a tech at the same institution, and 2 years as an RA at a newly founded research institute. 8 publications. 2 2nd author, 2 3rd, 2 4th, 1 7th, 1 9th. 1 of those is a Cell paper, 1 is a Nature paper. Very long and varied list of research skills. Currently in control of 2 independent projects. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: student-elected best TA for a neurobiology course. 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 2 years experience as a tech in an academic research lab, 2 years of experience in early stage biomedical research.

Special Bonus Points:  haha, female status. Does that even help these days? My PI, who is also the president of the institute I currently work at, is a big name and well connected at a number of schools I am applying to. I am also a co-author of a filed patent.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: My LoRs will be glowing, and 1 of them will come from my PI (might hold considerable weight). I also believe my SoP is particularly well written.

Applying to Where: This list is WAY too long; can anyone help me toss a couple out?! 

UC Berkeley - MCB
The Scripps Research Institute
UCSF- TETRAD
MIT - Biology
Stanford - Biology
UCSD - Biology; CMG track
Caltech - Biology
Columbia - Biology
Yale - BBS
Harvard - BBS
UCLA - MCDB
USC - MCB
University of Washington Seattle - MCB 
University of Arizona - MCB

Thanks in advance and congrats to all who are already living the dream! 

Undergrad Institution: Larger CSU campus
Major(s): Biochemistry (BS and MS in progress)
Minor(s): --
GPA in Major: 3.11 undergrad, 3.45 masters (bad first semester, 4.0 for the past 4 semesters)
Overall GPA:  2.67 undergrad
Position in Class: One of the top students in MS program, near the top of many upper division classes during my BS.
Type of Student: Domestic. Had medical issues throughout undergrad and first part of masters, upward trend though!

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 168 (95%)
V: 167 (97%)
W: 4 (56%) ugh.
B: Biochemistry 650 (89%)

Research Experience: 4 years with an Environmental/Physical chemist, brief unofficial summer stint with a cell biologist. One paper, one ACS book chapter (first author), 4 national conference talks.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Outstanding TA, Summer Research 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Undergrad TA for 4 years, TA for department for 2.5 years during MS. Secretary for undergrad chem club and President and founding member for department graduate student association. Volunteer tutor for a minority outreach program.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I'm mostly concerned that my GPA doesn't reflect my abilities. I hope that my subject score will supplement, but I have no idea how adcoms will weigh these two factors.

Applying to Where:

Washington University in St. Louis - Biochemistry
Cornell - BMCB
University of Chicago - Molecular Biosciences Umbrella Program

UPenn - Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics

Northwestern - interdisciplinary Biological Sciences

Berkeley - Molecular & Cell Biology Umbrella

Oregon State University - Biochemistry & Biophysics

Please let me know if I'm out of my mind.

On 10/27/2014 at 6:27 PM, shonomercy said:

Applying to Where:

Washington University in St. Louis - Biochemistry

Cornell - BMCB

University of Chicago - Molecular Biosciences Umbrella Program

UPenn - Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics

Northwestern - interdisciplinary Biological Sciences

Berkeley - Molecular & Cell Biology Umbrella

Oregon State University - Biochemistry & Biophysics

Please let me know if I'm out of my mind.

To be blunt: other than OSU, it's gonna be tough going with your GPA at those schools. (I had a similar UGPA, you can check my past posts)

Nothing wrong with one or two reaches, but I'd diversify that school list FAST if you want any kind of decent shot.

Applying to Where: This list is WAY too long; can anyone help me toss a couple out?! 

UC Berkeley - MCB
The Scripps Research Institute
UCSF- TETRAD
MIT - Biology
Stanford - Biology
UCSD - Biology; CMG track
Caltech - Biology
Columbia - Biology
Yale - BBS
Harvard - BBS
UCLA - MCDB
USC - MCB
University of Washington Seattle - MCB 
University of Arizona - MCB

Thanks in advance and congrats to all who are already living the dream! 

Oh boy, you have some super elite schools there! Your research experience is freaking fantastic, but unfortunately GPA may be an issue, combined with average GRE scores (I had a 160V/156Q/4.5AW, for reference). Keep in mind most people applying there will have 3.7+, so it will be an uphill battle. Some reaches are fine, but I'd drop some and have some lower tier schools on there to boost your chances.

Look up their required courses for the degree. If it is heavy on the biology side of things you're going to have a very hard time. Not just a hard time getting in, but a hard time succeeding (check out ).

Oh boy, you have some super elite schools there! Your research experience is freaking fantastic, but unfortunately GPA may be an issue, combined with average GRE scores (I had a 160V/156Q/4.5AW, for reference). Keep in mind most people applying there will have 3.7+, so it will be an uphill battle. Some reaches are fine, but I'd drop some and have some lower tier schools on there to boost your chances.

Thanks for your reply! I realize I have mostly reaches. I'm defininitely going to trim it down, mostly depending on my new GRE scores. I have an in at one highly ranked program, so for that reason I figured I might as well go nuts and see what happens.

I do have an explanation for my grade trend (1 bad year and an upward trend ending in nearly all As in my most advanced courses). I'm wondering whether or not it would be wise to mention briefly it in any way (without sounding like I'm making an excuse). Any thoughts?

Thanks for your reply! I realize I have mostly reaches. I'm definitely going to trim it down, mostly depending on my new GRE scores. I have an in at one highly ranked program, so for that reason I figured I might as well go nuts and see what happens.

I do have an explanation for my grade trend (1 bad year and an upward trend ending in nearly all As in my most advanced courses). I'm wondering whether or not it would be wise to mention briefly it in any way (without sounding like I'm making an excuse). Any thoughts?

I wouldn't mention it; professors know how to read transcripts and will see that trend for themselves. It might seem like you're making excuses otherwise, no matter how you word it.

And of course you can apply to whatever schools you want, but do you have a back up plan in case you don't get into these top programs? Ideas to improve your app next time around? Competition is seriously fierce at those institutions, I can't emphasize that enough.

Thanks for your reply! I realize I have mostly reaches. I'm defininitely going to trim it down, mostly depending on my new GRE scores. I have an in at one highly ranked program, so for that reason I figured I might as well go nuts and see what happens.

I had a bad 1st year, but I'm not mentioning it because a ) if not put in the correct way, it does sound like I'm making excuses and b ) I have a major upward trend starting my 2nd year (went from ~2.89 to 3.52 for cum. GPA) and the adcom can see that in my transcript. That's my two cents.

Edited by Dedi

I wouldn't mention it; professors know how to read transcripts and will see that trend for themselves. It might seem like you're making excuses otherwise, no matter how you word it.

And of course you can apply to whatever schools you want, but do you have a back up plan in case you don't get into these top programs? Ideas to improve your app next time around? Competition is seriously fierce at those institutions, I can't emphasize that enough.

That's how I feel as well, thanks for your input.

As far as a backup plan - I have an unofficial spot at one institution already (verbal offer from a PI with a lot of pull); I think I would be pretty happy at that program so hopefully I will not need to apply a 2nd time. If for whatever reason that didn't work out, I would probably ask admissions what I could do to improve my chances - I imagine different programs would recommend slightly different ways of doing this. I suppose I could take some postbac courses, ace a GRE subject test...but beyond that I'm not sure! 

I had a bad 1st year, but I'm not mentioning it because a ) if not put in the correct way, it does sound like I'm making excuses and b ) I have a major upward trend starting my 2nd year (went from ~2.89 to 3.52 for cum. GPA) and the adcom can see that in my transcript. That's my two cents.

I feel the same way; I suppose if they do a GPA cutoff they probably won't read the SoP in the first place!

That's how I feel as well, thanks for your input.

As far as a backup plan - I have an unofficial spot at one institution already (verbal offer from a PI with a lot of pull); I think I would be pretty happy at that program so hopefully I will not need to apply a 2nd time. If for whatever reason that didn't work out, I would probably ask admissions what I could do to improve my chances - I imagine different programs would recommend slightly different ways of doing this. I suppose I could take some postbac courses, ace a GRE subject test...but beyond that I'm not sure! 

No problem! Wasn't trying to be a hardass, just making sure you know you're taking some chances. Sounds like you're ok delaying a year to get into your top choices, which is certainly a valid strategy. For people whom want to maximize their chances THIS year, they'd have to be more realistic and apply to a more varied selection of schools.

No problem! Wasn't trying to be a hardass, just making sure you know you're taking some chances. Sounds like you're ok delaying a year to get into your top choices, which is certainly a valid strategy. For people whom want to maximize their chances THIS year, they'd have to be more realistic and apply to a more varied selection of schools.

Yup, I am. In my mind I would totally regret not trying to exceed my own expectations of where I could be admitted. Thanks again, and congrats on your own admittance! 

The biggest thing is knowing what the GPA/GRE cutoff is for each school. If you get passed that you should be one of the top candidates. Some schools don't have cutoffs but some of your schools probably get a lot of applications so they might use the cutoff to filter apps out. I would be shocked if there were applicants with more impressive research experiences than you.

Undergrad Institution: University of Toronto

Major: Biotechnology/Biology
Minor: Chemistry

GPA in major: n/a

GPA in minor: n/a

Overall GPA: 3.86

Position in Class: n/a

Type of Student: Male, International

Currently doing M.A in Biotechnology at Columbia University - Sep 2014 - Aug 2015 (expected)

GRE Scores 

Q: 161 (80%)

V: 161 (87%)

A: 4.5 (80%)

Research Experience:

4 months independent research in a biochemistry lab, devised the optimum refolding protocol for a bacterial protein
6 months research experience in a Ecology and Evolutionary biology lab, mostly statistical analysis and review.

Plan on doing summer research at Columbia on Cancer Signalling (Summer 2015)

Relevant Work experience:
Teaching Calculus to fresh as part of the Peer Facilitator Program at UofT (Sep 2011 - April 2012)

Publications: none

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 

1) UofT Scholars Program Entrance Scholarship
2) UofT Scholars Program In-course Scholarship
3) Dean’s list
4) Graduated from University of Toronto with High Distinction

Applied to: 

Yale BBS
Weill Cornell Cell and Developmental Biology
Cornell Ithaca- BCMB (molecular and cell biology)
Vanderbilt IGP
Princeton@Biology
Penn CMB
NYU Sackler
Icahn @ Mount Sinai (Cancer Biology)
UT Houston MD Anderson (Biomedical Sciences)
Brown Pathobiology

Going to apply to-
Harvard, MIT, Columbia

Additional info- Applying everywhere for PhD in Cancer Biology 

LOR- Should be very strong, but all from UofT since Columbia Professors only know me a month, so getting one from them would be useless.

Any thoughts? Am I aiming too high? I considered NYU Sackler and Vanderbilt as my safety, but is that too arrogant of me? What are my chances? Any kind of help would be really appreciated :)

Edited by ForScience!

Any thoughts? Am I aiming too high? I considered NYU Sackler and Vanderbilt as my safety, but is that too arrogant of me? What are my chances? Any kind of help would be really appreciated :)

I don't know if I would consider NYU Sackler a safety. I thought it was pretty hard to get into. I could be wrong. One weakness would be your research experience, most people applying will have more than 1 year of relevant research experience. You are applying to some top schools, if you don't want to change your list do you have a back up plan? If you have a solid back up plan then I would say go for all the schools on your list and then apply at a later time. If you want to get into a grad school for next year you might want to look at some lower tierd schools just to be safe.

I don't know if I would consider NYU Sackler a safety. I thought it was pretty hard to get into. I could be wrong. One weakness would be your research experience, most people applying will have more than 1 year of relevant research experience. You are applying to some top schools, if you don't want to change your list do you have a back up plan? If you have a solid back up plan then I would say go for all the schools on your list and then apply at a later time. If you want to get into a grad school for next year you might want to look at some lower tierd schools just to be safe.

Yeah, I know I don't have AS MUCH research experience as the others here, which is why I am doing a Master's at the moment. Wouldn't that count for something? Especially since its in big name Ivy League college and such, I thought that would cover up some of the shortcomings of my application :(

Would any already-admitted applicants mind reading my response to a prompt on UPenn's application? I just want to make sure I'm on the right track. I appreciate it!

Which program at Penn are you applying to? I am a currently first year so I am happy to answer that you may have about the programs! Good luck :)

Which program at Penn are you applying to? I am a currently first year so I am happy to answer that you may have about the programs! Good luck :)

I'm applying to Immunology in BGS. That's awesome! I'd love to hear what you think of it. And thank you, it's definitely one of my top choices!  :)

Hello!

Going to be as specific as possible without giving way too much detail.

Attends UC Berkeley, Bioengineering BS. Graduating in 2.5 years, will work at a biotech startup next semester before attending grad school.

GPA: 3.694

GRE: Q 170, V 160, W 4

Focus: Biomaterials, mechanobiology, micro fluidics

Research:

-2.5 years in bioengineering lab in Berkeley, presented poster at 5 conferences, received various awards including honorable mention for best poster at an international conference

-1.5 years in biofuels/computational modeling lab at Berkeley, presented 2 posters at 6 conferences, received various awards including 3rd place prize at A conference in Berkeley

-Amgen Scholar last summer, have a poster and will present in a conference soon

Recommendations from the 3 research experiences

Received various grants to attend conferences and to fund research.

Will apply to:

Columbia, Georgia Tech, MIT, Harvard, Northwestern, Rice, UCSD, WashU, Caltech (so no safeties at all :( )

Some questions:

Of course, what are my chances at those schools?

Is it significant that I am finishing my degree in 2.5 years? Should I highlight that in my SOP?

Is it significant that I am finishing my degree in 2.5 years? Should I highlight that in my SOP?

Huh? You'll need to have at least a bachelors by fall of 2015 to even be able to attend. If you're not getting your BS until 2017 there's absolutely no point in applying this year.