2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dedi

Not quite ready to post my information yet (still trying to decide where I want to apply). But anywho, saw that you're a UVMer! I'm class of 09, Animal Science. I'm actually contemplating looking into their MS in Natural Resources program, as I know some of the professors in the Rubenstein school. Hope you're enjoying Burlington, I miss it over there!

Burlington is a great town from what I've experienced so far, just wish the rental market was less insane.

Burlington is a great town from what I've experienced so far, just wish the rental market was less insane.

Ah yes, the rentals. I remember quite well the ridiculous prices and I moved away 4 years ago.. so I can just imagine what they are now. Most of my classmates made it "reasonable" by living with 3-5 other students. 

If you ever want any recommendations on restaurants, skiing, whatever.  Hit me up and I'll be glad to share my favs from the area!

Thought I would throw mine into the mix

Undergrad Institution: Top Public Research Institution, Decent Biology program (I think)
Major(s): BS Biology 
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.85
Overall GPA: 3.75
Position in Class: Not sure, fairly near top I presume
Type of Student: Domestic male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 166
V: 164
W: Waiting 
B: Should I take it?

Research Experience: Undergraduate research was for 2.5 years working under one of the Postdoctorate fellows on her project.  Most of my work was in the cell and molecular biology field, specifically in cancer cell biology.  Didn't get a publication out of this because I mostly worked on some side projects she had going rather than those that contributed to figures.  Currently working as a lab technician in a lab at a different university on my own project.  

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Graduated with Honors (Deans list 8 semesters if that matters), Golden Key; missed PBK unfortunately.  

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Currently a lab technician

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: 

Special Bonus Points: (Such as connections, grad classes, famous recommenders, female or minority status etc...)

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where:

Harvard MCB

U Chicago CMB

Yale MCDB

Tufts CMDB

UCSD BMS

UCSF Tetrad

Princeton CMB

UT Southwestern Cancer Bio

UNC Cancer Cell Bio

UPenn CMB

I believe most of these school would be reach schools, so currently looking into what may be more realistic.

Edited by cotoncub

Thought I would throw mine into the mix

Undergrad Institution: Top Public Research Institution, Decent Biology program (I think)

Major(s): BS Biology 

Minor(s):

GPA in Major: 3.85

Overall GPA: 3.75

Position in Class: Not sure, fairly near top I presume

Type of Student: Domestic male

Research Experience: Undergraduate research was for 2.5 years working under one of the Postdoctorate fellows on her project.  Most of my work was in the cell and molecular biology field, specifically in cancer cell biology.  Didn't get a publication out of this because I mostly worked on some side projects she had going rather than those that contributed to figures.  Currently working as a lab technician in a lab at a different university on my own project.  

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Graduated with Honors (Deans list 8 semesters if that matters), Golden Key; missed PBK unfortunately.  

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Currently a lab technician

Special Bonus Points: (Such as connections, grad classes, famous recommenders, female or minority status etc...)

Applying to Where:

Harvard MCB

U Chicago CMB

Yale MCDB

Tufts CMDB

UCSD BMS

UCSF Tetrad

Princeton CMB

UNC Cancer Cell Bio

UPenn CMB

I believe most of these school would be reach schools, so currently looking into what may be more realistic.

You have a solid profile so go where your research interests really fits with the department. Are these the strong schools for your particular subfield or are they chosen bc they are top schools? If they are chosen because of subfield focus then I think you should be in good shape.

Don't bother with the subject test unless a program you really want to attend requires it. Your profile should already show you know biology and you have good GRE scores.

I think Dean's List is implied.

Applying to Where:

Harvard MCB

U Chicago CMB

Yale MCDB

Tufts CMDB

UCSD BMS

UCSF Tetrad

Princeton CMB

UNC Cancer Cell Bio

UPenn CMB

You have a good profile, I think you've got a shot at top universities. You could look at other universities, especially if they match your interests better. I think a place to start is to look at so-called Public Ivys as they also have strong reputations but aren't necessarily as competitive as Harvard or Princeton.

Hello :)! This is my second time applying. I got interviewed by two schools last year but accepted by only one.. which was my undergraduate institution lol. After talking to several professors and grad students, I decided to decline this offer and reapply to programs in different schools. So I really really hope I get in somewhere this year haha :)

Undergrad Institution: big public research university with a good reputation in biosciences
Major(s): Biochemistry
GPA in Major: 3.6
Overall GPA: 3.6
Type of Student: Domestic Female

GRE Scores:
Q: 164
V: 163
W: 4.0

Research Experience: ~2 years in a virology lab when I was an undergrad; ~ 3 years in a biochemistry lab as an undergrad and a lab tech (currently working here). Several poster presentations, one middle author paper published and one first-author paper under preparation.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 1 year undergrad research fellowship.. and a few other small stuff

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: I'm working as a lab tech now

Special Bonus Points: took a couple of grad-level courses.. did okay loll (so I doubt it'd make any difference)

Applying to Where:

1. Northwestern University (Interdisciplinary Biological Sciences; IBiS)

2. University of Chicago (Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics; BMB)

3. University of Wisconsin-Madison (Integrated Program in Biochemistry; IPiB)

4. University of Michigan (Program in Biomedical Sciences; PiBS)

5. *MIT Biology

6. *Harvard Biological and Biomedical Sciences (BBS) and

Harvard Molecules, Cells, and Organisms (MCO) program

7. Yale Biological and Biomedical Sciences (Biochemistry Biophysics track)

(* applied last year)

I'm considering adding one more school.. I know there's no such thing as a "safe and still good" school but I'm still a little bit worried because all of the programs on my list are very competitive programs. Also, my resume didn't change much from last year except a couple more presentations and a publication..

Edited by hamu

You have a solid profile so go where your research interests really fits with the department. Are these the strong schools for your particular subfield or are they chosen bc they are top schools? If they are chosen because of subfield focus then I think you should be in good shape.

They seem to have a good alignment in terms of my interests, but I'm not sure if I'm reaching too much in terms of the competition I will face.  I'll take a look at the "Public Ivies" that Vene suggested to see if I can find others that may be a good fit as well.  I am thinking of maybe U Michigan and MD Anderson.

They seem to have a good alignment in terms of my interests, but I'm not sure if I'm reaching too much in terms of the competition I will face.  I'll take a look at the "Public Ivies" that Vene suggested to see if I can find others that may be a good fit as well.  I am thinking of maybe U Michigan and MD Anderson.

I would highly recommend that as well! If you want any first hand advice, I interviewed at 3 Public Ivies last year (AZ, MN, IA) and am currently attending MD Anderson, so feel free to PM. :)

Undergrad Institution: Public, Midsize, Liberal Arts University
Major(s): Microbiology
GPA in Major: 3.68
Overall GPA: 3.66
Type of Student: domestic Caucasian male

Q: 158
V: 159
W: 4.0

Research Experience:

1 summer + 1 winterim REU, cancer genetics + viral mutagens, back-burner author in publication, 1 LoR from PI

beginning research in plant molecular lab (total of 3 months experience by the time I apply), 1 LoR from professor

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: organic chemistry tutor, general biology lab TA, president/founder of undergrad cell and molecular journal club

1 summer in clinical lab, molecular hematology (fragment analysis, rtPCR, sequencing, exposure to dPCR and NGS technology), 1 LoR from MD lab director

Special Bonus Points: My LoR's have explicitly told me they will write strong letters highlighting my enthusiasm. few weak name connections to some of the programs I’m applying. I talk well about science and my (limited) research experiences.

Applying to Where:

Colorado State University - Cell and Molecular Biology (Fort Collins)

Michigan State University - Micro/Cell and Molecular

University of Massachusetts - Amhurst - MCB

University of Oregon (Eugene)

University of Utah - MCE

Dartmouth College - MCB

Brandeis University - MCB

Tufts University - Genetics and Molecular

University of Vermont - MCB

Universty of New Hampshire (Durham)

Washington State University (Pullman)

(I have taken molecular-oriented courses despite being a "microbiology" major)

I'd like to make this list a bit shorter. I feel out of character taking this shot-gun approach, but I feel it's necessary to ensure admission. I picked umbrella programs that require lab rotations. Molecular genetics is my general area of interest but haven't specified my interests further than that.

looking for input and advice. cheers!

Edited by yolk

Guys, remember when about a month ago I said I was gonna start contacting people I want to work with? That didn't happen until yesterday. Oops.

On the plus side, I've heard back from 8 of 21 so far. 3 are accepting new students, and I have a phone call set up with a fourth. And 2 of those accepting new students are at Harvard (probably my top choice currently).

Guys, remember when about a month ago I said I was gonna start contacting people I want to work with? That didn't happen until yesterday. Oops.

On the plus side, I've heard back from 8 of 21 so far. 3 are accepting new students, and I have a phone call set up with a fourth. And 2 of those accepting new students are at Harvard (probably my top choice currently).

Awesome, congrats!

I am sort of just starting to do this (hesitantly) now. I have contacted 3 professors so far. 1 is an all star famous professor whose work I am in love with (like read for 8 hours straight and finally pull myself away level of in love with) but I have heard iffy things on his committment to mentoring students... and these iffy things came from comments from other academics who I really respect. He never responded to my email. The other 2 are respected professors at respected institutions but arent necesarily famous like the first guy. They both responded enthusiastically saying that they would keep an eye out for my application, commenting on the strength of my CV, etc.

The lack of response from the first guy put me a bit on the fence about whether I should keep contacting professors. There are at least 5 other "famous" professors that I dream of working for. I know their work well and think that I can comment on it intelligently in an email. Do I go ahead and send them an email with the "it cant hurt" sort of attitude? Or should I stick with only contacting the not so huge in the field professors? Any advice from anyone on this stuff?

The lack of response from the first guy put me a bit on the fence about whether I should keep contacting professors. There are at least 5 other "famous" professors that I dream of working for. I know their work well and think that I can comment on it intelligently in an email. Do I go ahead and send them an email with the "it cant hurt" sort of attitude? Or should I stick with only contacting the not so huge in the field professors? Any advice from anyone on this stuff?

I don't see the harm in trying! If they ignore you, so be it and their loss. Would you really want an unresponsive mentor anyway? Some people prefer a hands-off PI, but not being able to reach them or never seeing them is another matter entirely. There is a very famous immunology prof at my school that has advanced so far in his career that he no longer has time to mentor any students; it's possible this person of yours is at this level practically if not officially, and you're better off finding someone with more availability.

I don't see the harm in trying! If they ignore you, so be it and their loss. Would you really want an unresponsive mentor anyway? Some people prefer a hands-off PI, but not being able to reach them or never seeing them is another matter entirely. There is a very famous immunology prof at my school that has advanced so far in his career that he no longer has time to mentor any students; it's possible this person of yours is at this level practically if not officially, and you're better off finding someone with more availability.

Thanks for the input. You are right that I am not interested in a hands off mentor. I think I am pretty independent yet I do think it is really beneficial to have someone around to bounce ideas off of or get feedback from. I'll go with your advice and keep trying... If anything this could be a good exercise in learning which PIs are very interested in recruiting and developing good students and which have other priorities.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I wanted all of your input on something that has been on my mind lately. One of my letter of rec writers is my undergrad research mentor of 3 years, who just started at a different institution this fall and is an assistant professor there. She was a postdoc when she trained me but since she has professorship now I thought it would be acceptable to ask her for a letter instead of the PI, who did know me but I didn't directly work with him. Is it ok that I asked a just-promoted assistant professor instead of an tenured professor?

From what I'm reading here, it's not uncommon for new faculty to write letters for grad school bound undergrads..

My other to letters will be from my academic advisor and an associate professor whose lab I worked in during a summer internship. 

Edited by grad1492

Undergrad Institution: University of Southern Maine
Major(s): Biochemistry
Minor(s): Biology 
GPA in Major: 3.4 in Biology and Chemistry, 3.7 in overall sciences (Physics helps me there a lot)
Overall GPA: 3.6
Position in Class: Not sure
Type of Student: domestic, white female

Q: 156 (64%)
V: 156 (71%)
W: 4.5 (80%)
Biochem:  Taking 9/27, hoping to redeem myself with this.  General GRE wasn't too hot.

Research Experience: From undergraduate I have a cumulative of 2 years experience in 3 different labs (6mo, 3mo, and 15mo) in mol bio/biochem/biotech labs.  From the 15mo research I recently had a paper accepted to Chembiochem (I think its like a 3 on impact scale).   I did summer (3mo) research in a biochem lab with a focus on cancer. I just started a year long research job at UC Denver.  By the time grad school starts (fingers crossed) - 3.25 years experience, all in academic settings.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Scholarship from my first college (I transferred after 2 years), Dean's list scattered here and there, best undergrad/overall poster at a regional conference, life science award from cardno entrix, chemistry community award from my undergrad institution for my work in clubs spreading chemistry knowledge/love.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Chemistry Club (secretary), Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (Student club VP, Regional chapter board member), Tutor in chemistry (general, analytical, biochemistry), TA of organic lab (1 semester), biochem lab (1 semester), general chemistry recitation (2 semesters).

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: One of my recommenders went to grad school at Rockefeller, and did his postdoc at Harvard.  Not sure how much this will help, but I am looking to go into the same field as he is in so maybe I'll end up interviewing with someone who knows him :P.   Regardless, all of my LOR are strong.

Special Bonus Points: I've presented 8 posters, one oral, at two national conferences, several other regional.  My lab experience covers mol bio/biochem well - I have experience in cloning (in every lab I've worked in), loads of mol bio techniques, EM/DIC/Fluorescence microscopy, etc etc.

Applying to Where:

All Ph.D programs

MIT - Biology

Harvard - MCB

UPenn - Biochemistry & Biophysics

Rockefeller - Chemical Biology

UC Denver - Biomedical Science Program

Berkeley - Chemical Biology

Uni Washington - MCB

I realized I'm shooting high, but I decided to say the hell with safeties.. I don't want to settle.   If I don't get in, my plan is to move back to the east coast, get a research job in Boston, and try again next year.  Hoping to destroy the biochem gre next weekend :)!

Undergrad Institution:  Big State U, good research school
Major(s): BS Biomedical Sciences
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: not calculated

Overall GPA: 3.37
Position in Class: don't know
Type of Student: Domestic female

DVM GPA:  3.32

GRE Scores (revised/old version):  scores now expired, retaking later this week
Q: 710
V: 690
W: 4.5

Research Experience:   No publications, 1 manuscript that will be submitted in the next few weeks, also helped with 2 seasons of fieldwork for that project.  Lots of work on the fieldwork/data collection side of other people's research projects in the past. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: National Merit and some academic scholarships as an undergrad

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:   Have worked as a vet for 2 years.  Worked as a wildlife biology tech on 2 different projects during summers and volunteered on 2 additional projects.  TAed a class for vet students while in school and taught a field course for vet students in the tropics last winter. 

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:  Vet externships in school were all with wildlife agencies, lots of experience in the field on both international and domestic projects.  I've had extra training in wildlife immobilization.

Applying to Where:

Oregon State University - Integrative Biology/Comparative Health

Michigan State University - Zoology

University of Georgia - Wildlife Ecology

UC Davis - Epidemiology

Princeton - EEB

University of Wisconsin - Comparative Biomedical Sciences

It's a weird mix of departments/areas of study, but all of the POIs are doing similar research (wildlife epidemiology/disease ecology).  I've confirmed POIs at all the schools and have had lengthy conversations with 3 about project ideas.  I'm hoping that my vet skills, work/research experience and time since undergrad (6 years) will help make up for low GPA. 

GPA in Major: 3.4 in Biology and Chemistry, 3.7 in overall sciences (Physics helps me there a lot)

Biochem:  Taking 9/27, hoping to redeem myself with this.  General GRE wasn't too hot.

Research Experience: From undergraduate I have a cumulative of 2 years experience in 3 different labs (6mo, 3mo, and 15mo) in mol bio/biochem/biotech labs.  From the 15mo research I recently had a paper accepted to Chembiochem (I think its like a 3 on impact scale).   I did summer (3mo) research in a biochem lab with a focus on cancer. I just started a year long research job at UC Denver.  By the time grad school starts (fingers crossed) - 3.25 years experience, all in academic settings.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Scholarship from my first college (I transferred after 2 years), Dean's list scattered here and there, best undergrad/overall poster at a regional conference, life science award from cardno entrix, chemistry community award from my undergrad institution for my work in clubs spreading chemistry knowledge/love.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Chemistry Club (secretary), Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (Student club VP, Regional chapter board member), Tutor in chemistry (general, analytical, biochemistry), TA of organic lab (1 semester), biochem lab (1 semester), general chemistry recitation (2 semesters).

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: One of my recommenders went to grad school at Rockefeller, and did his postdoc at Harvard.  Not sure how much this will help, but I am looking to go into the same field as he is in so maybe I'll end up interviewing with someone who knows him :P.   Regardless, all of my LOR are strong.

Special Bonus Points: I've presented 8 posters, one oral, at two national conferences, several other regional.  My lab experience covers mol bio/biochem well - I have experience in cloning (in every lab I've worked in), loads of mol bio techniques, EM/DIC/Fluorescence microscopy, etc etc.

Applying to Where:

All Ph.D programs

MIT - Biology

Harvard - MCB

Uni Washington - MCB

I realized I'm shooting high, but I decided to say the hell with safeties.. I don't want to settle.   If I don't get in, my plan is to move back to the east coast, get a research job in Boston, and try again next year.  Hoping to destroy the biochem gre next weekend :)!

Hi, I hope that you don't mind a word of caution.  It is extremely difficult and rare to obtain a research position in Boston with only an undergraduate degree.  Do you have contacts in the area that could help you?   My humble opinion is that you should add a few safer schools particularly as your GRE and GPA scores are lower that those who are historically admitted at the schools to which you have applied.  But of course, it is absolutely your choice!  Best of luck to you!

Edited by tuckbro

Applying to Where:

All Ph.D programs

MIT - Biology

Harvard - MCB

Uni Washington - MCB

Good luck this year. Since you've already stated that you're willing to try again if things don't work out, my only advice would be to focus on your GRE/GPA. Your research experience is definitely the strength of your application. Acing some graduate level courses and shoring up your general GRE would put you right in the mix with the other applicants.

Having said all that, you could get 5 acceptances this year lol

Undergrad Institution: Large Public University, Top 20 Biology 
Major(s): Biochemistry
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.62
Overall GPA: 3.65
Position in Class: No idea, most of my classes were curved to 2.5-2.8 avg., so I suppose near top
Type of Student: Domestic female

Q:162
V:165
W: Not in yet
B: NOPE

Research Experience: 1.5 years in undergrad with a senior thesis, cannot publish thesis as the lab took over my project after I left and are still working on it. 1.5 years as lab tech where I've worked on all sorts of projects, but unlikely any publications until after application season. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Honors in biochemistry

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Research Associate 

Special Bonus Points: Banking on great recommendation letters, two from my PI's and one from a colleague. One of my PI's is part-time faculty at UC Berkeley and UCSF

Applying to Where:

I could use some help with this! Started making my list, but I need to narrow it down. I know it is rather California-heavy, but I would like to stay in the state if possible.

UCSF - Biomedical Sciences

Berkeley - MCB

Berkeley - Infectious Disease and Immunity

Stanford - Biosciences

Columbia - Integrated Biomedical

UCLA - Biosciences

UT Austin - Microbiology

UC San Diego - Biomedical Sciences

Georgetown - Microbiology

Weill Cornell - Immunology & Microbial Pathogenesis

I realize this programs look a bit all over the place, I want to work in infectious disease research and would prefer to apply to an umbrella program. After working in a few different labs, I have found I value the lab environment almost as much as the research which is why I am looking for larger programs that have many labs to choose from. Just looking at this list I know I need more schools that have higher acceptance rates. Any suggestions for schools with large immuno/infectious disease/microbio programs? 

Edited by nutellarain

Applying to Where:

All Ph.D programs

MIT - Biology

Harvard - MCB

Uni Washington - MCB

Did you happen to attend SMCC? 

Hi, I hope that you don't mind a word of caution.  It is extremely difficult and rare to obtain a research position in Boston with only an undergraduate degree.  Do you have contacts in the area that could help you?   My humble opinion is that you should add a few safer schools particularly as your GRE and GPA scores are lower that those who are historically admitted at the schools to which you have applied.  But of course, it is absolutely your choice!  Best of luck to you!

Yeah, I did undergrad in Boston.  For those who are not aware, there are a lot of colleges/universities in the Boston metro; around 80 or so if I remember correctly.  Of those, of course, are:  MIT, Harvard, Tufts, Boston College, Boston University, Northeastern (okay, not on many radars, but still a large, prominent, Boston-area university), and Boston's only public; UMass Boston.  Also, according to bls dot gov, there are 360K college students within the Boston metro.  That is not only a lot of students, but since the 1990s more-and-more of them are deciding to stay in Boston. 

So yes, it is extremely hard to get a research position.

I agree with adding other schools to the list.  kSkye, why not UMaine Orono or UNH?  

Hey guys, looking for some advice on my school choices, the main wildcard here is my GPA. Also planning on applying to 10-12 schools, not counting NYC area schools because it would be nice to be close to home.

Undergrad Institution: Top 35 Medium private research institution, nationally recognized medical/biomedical research programs
Major(s): Cell and Developmental Biology, Psychology
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: Biology 3.1, Psychology 3.2
Overall GPA: 3.12
Position in Class: Not sure/ average
Type of Student: Domestic Male

Q: 162 (84%)
V: 159 (81%)
W: 4.0 (54%)
B: No

Research Experience:  2.5 years undergraduate in a Biomedical Genetics lab. 2 independent research semester projects, 2 summers. 2 first author review articles. Currently a Research Tech in this same lab working on my own new project for the past year

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Deans scholarship all semesters, deans list 1 semester

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Lab technician for multiple years in undergrad, and one year prior to applying. Leadership role in social fraternity, an editor for the undergraduate research journal

First author review publications

Special Bonus Points: PI is well connected if I decide to stay in the same research topic of lung development and lung stem cell biology. My PI did his postdoc at Duke in a field-leading lab with a very famous PI, that may help there. He is generally very-well connected in stem cell/dev bio field.

Failed physics and developmental biology the first time, got a B/B+ in both on the retake. The same semester as that I got a D in cell biology. I took Advanced Cell biology the next year and got an A-. I took 5 classes that semester including a 4 credit independent research and working on a paper and it was just too much for me to handle along with extracurriculars. Recommendations (besides my PI) will come from the developmental bio prof (also my undergrad advisor) and the advanced cell prof, whom I have a good relationship. Both plan to write favorable letters showing how they have seen my improvement, maturation and dedication. Obviously these grades are what Im most worried about when applying to my top schools. 

Applying to Where: 

All will be cell and dev bio, or stem cell biology if available

"Reach": UCSF DCSB, UCSD, Columbia, NYU, BU

"Possible": UCLA, UC Denver, USC, Emory, Michigan, UMN, UT Houston, UC Davis, U Washington, UT Austin

New York City: Sloan Kettering, Cornell Weill, Mount Sinai, Albert Einstein

Hey guys, looking for some advice on my school choices, the main wildcard here is my GPA. Also planning on applying to 10-12 schools, not counting NYC area schools because it would be nice to be close to home.

Undergrad Institution: Top 35 Medium private research institution, nationally recognized medical/biomedical research programs

Major(s): Cell and Developmental Biology, Psychology

Minor(s):

GPA in Major: Biology 3.1, Psychology 3.2

Overall GPA: 3.12

Position in Class: Not sure/ average

Type of Student: Domestic Male

Q: 162 (84%)

V: 159 (81%)

W: 4.0 (54%)

B: No

Research Experience:  2.5 years undergraduate in a Biomedical Genetics lab. 2 independent research semester projects, 2 summers. 2 first author review articles. Currently a Research Tech in this same lab working on my own new project for the past year

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Deans scholarship all semesters, deans list 1 semester

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Lab technician for multiple years in undergrad, and one year prior to applying. Leadership role in social fraternity, an editor for the undergraduate research journal

First author review publications

Special Bonus Points: PI is well connected if I decide to stay in the same research topic of lung development and lung stem cell biology. My PI did his postdoc at Duke in a field-leading lab with a very famous PI, that may help there. He is generally very-well connected in stem cell/dev bio field.

Failed physics and developmental biology the first time, got a B/B+ in both on the retake. The same semester as that I got a D in cell biology. I took Advanced Cell biology the next year and got an A-. I took 5 classes that semester including a 4 credit independent research and working on a paper and it was just too much for me to handle along with extracurriculars. Recommendations (besides my PI) will come from the developmental bio prof (also my undergrad advisor) and the advanced cell prof, whom I have a good relationship. Both plan to write favorable letters showing how they have seen my improvement, maturation and dedication. Obviously these grades are what Im most worried about when applying to my top schools. 

Applying to Where: 

All will be cell and dev bio, or stem cell biology if available

"Reach": UCSF DCSB, UCSD, Columbia, NYU, BU

"Possible": UCLA, UC Denver, USC, Emory, Michigan, UMN, UT Houston, UC Davis, U Washington, UT Austin

New York City: Sloan Kettering, Cornell Weill, Mount Sinai, Albert Einstein

I would definitely consider U Washington a reach instead of possible (though the reaches are of course possible too). I think your lists are realistic. I think you might have a wildcard sort of application with your GPA that would go either way. You have solid research experience though and a decent GRE so I think you have a shot. If you are willing to get a masters first then I would consider throwing a few masters programs into the list too as a back up plan.

Need advice of international admissions; I suspect the admissions process is more stringent than domestic ones ?

Undergrad Institution: Some university in singapore
Major(s): Biology
Minor(s): -
GPA in Major: no idea
Overall GPA: 4.62/5 (so far, I don't know how it converts to the 4.0 scale, but it's a first class honours)
Position in Class: No idea, but the bell curve peaks at about the 3.8 range
Type of Student: International, female

GRE Scores
W: waiting
B: haven't taken yet

Research Experience (total will have about 2.5 years):

- summer research internships every summer (one in Imperial in UK)

- two undergrad research projects  

- doing my final year project now

- public health project that (hopefully) will get published

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:

- Dean's Lists

- Undergrad scholarship from prestigious research institution (I think it's sorta known around the world)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:

- None, really

- undergrad research 

- part of some special science programme in school (35/~200 people)

- accelerated to complete my degree in three years instead of four (which pretty much no one does)

Special Bonus Points:

- LOR: current PI has two labs, the other one is in Harvard

- terrible grades for one particular molecular biology module?

- I've contacted some PIs and they're not against having me in their lab?

Applying to Where:

Harvard BBS

Rockefeller

CSHL

JHU

MIT

WUSTL?

It's a small pool of schools, but I can't afford any more as an international student ? Any other international students who might have advice? 

I just want to remind any current applicants to take a deep breath. Talk to as many professors, postdocs, grad students, etc. as you can before you make those final decisions. You are essentially marrying the program/advisor that you choose, so you want to make sure that you will be happy for that 5+ year haul.

Talk to a lot of potential advisors in the program. I actually got accepted to my current university in a different program with a different advisor, realized my mistake after acceptance (with funding for that department!), and frantically got arrangements to transfer my acceptance to my current program and advisor. This was only possible because I had talked to my current advisor during the application process.

Make some sort of list to keep track of your application requirements, when they are due, etc. Don't get overly attached to your list, however. It will change (If it doesn't change at least a little throughout the process, I would be very surprised). Don't feel badly if you take a program off of your list because of geography, personal conflicts, advisor personality, funding, etc. I don't think that there is any perfect program, but you want to get as close to it as possible.

Remember that numbers are just numbers. Yes, GPA and GRE are important. Yes, there are cutoffs. Yes, there are other students with more research experience and more publications. But you can still get into a good program with an advisor who you're happy to work with for 5+ years. Graduate admissions is a game of sorts; make sure you play it well. You may not come in with the best cards, but you can place them in such a way that you get the same result as someone who started off with a great hand.

At the risk of sounding cliché: Keep your life goals in mind. Everyone wants to be in the best program, with the best advisor, with the most publications, and the most awards. But do you need that to be happy? If you can't get into the "best" program but you love the research somewhere else, and you can still be competitive for a job that will support you and make you happy, who cares that you didn't get into the "best"? I think it's easy to lose perspective throughout the process, especially when you see competitive profiles on GradCafe and the list of potential schools that other members are aiming for.

** And again, any environmental science, plant ecology, forestry, etc. applicants can feel free to PM me with questions about the process.

On 9/24/2014 at 2:14 AM, grumpy said:

Need advice of international admissions; I suspect the admissions process is more stringent than domestic ones ?

Undergrad Institution: Some university in singapore

Major(s): Biology

Minor(s): -

GPA in Major: no idea

Overall GPA: 4.62/5 (so far, I don't know how it converts to the 4.0 scale, but it's a first class honours)

Position in Class: No idea, but the bell curve peaks at about the 3.8 range

Type of Student: International, female

GRE Scores

W: waiting

B: haven't taken yet

Research Experience (total will have about 2.5 years):

- summer research internships every summer (one in Imperial in UK)

- two undergrad research projects  

- doing my final year project now

- public health project that (hopefully) will get published

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:

- Dean's Lists

- Undergrad scholarship from prestigious research institution (I think it's sorta known around the world)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:

- None, really

- undergrad research 

- part of some special science programme in school (35/~200 people)

- accelerated to complete my degree in three years instead of four (which pretty much no one does)

Special Bonus Points:

- LOR: current PI has two labs, the other one is in Harvard

- terrible grades for one particular molecular biology module?

- I've contacted some PIs and they're not against having me in their lab?

Applying to Where:

Harvard BBS

Rockefeller

CSHL

JHU

MIT

WUSTL?

It's a small pool of schools, but I can't afford any more as an international student ? Any other international students who might have advice? 

The program you plan on applying to is important. I know that the Immunology program here is funded through the NIH, so we have an international student this year that brought their own funding. You should definitely make sure that the programs on your list have funding for international students.