2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dedi

Adran6,

Quick question; what are your research interests? Do these schools have professors that match your interests? When you say you aren't messing around with getting a PhD, I worry that you aren't carefully researching the schools and making sure you wouldn't mind going to that school if you got rejected everywhere else. In other words, I wouldn't choose a school that you feel would make doing your PhD a chore.

I'm sure you did your research, but I wanted to be sure.

Adran6,

Quick question; what are your research interests? Do these schools have professors that match your interests? When you say you aren't messing around with getting a PhD, I worry that you aren't carefully researching the schools and making sure you wouldn't mind going to that school if you got rejected everywhere else. In other words, I wouldn't choose a school that you feel would make doing your PhD a chore.

I'm sure you did your research, but I wanted to be sure.

I totally understand your concerns but I have researched these programs and their faculty endlessly. I'm rather obsessive about it to be honest. Given the breadth of my undergraduate research I have a few different interests in graduate study but all concerning brain imaging. From studying memory and language processes to imaging neurogical and psychiatric disorders. These schools have extensive programs in these areas. Edited by adran6

I totally understand your concerns but I have researched these programs and their faculty endlessly. I'm rather obsessive about it to be honest. Given the breadth of my undergraduate research I have a few different interests in graduate study but all concerning brain imaging. From studying memory and language processes to imaging neurogical and psychiatric disorders. These schools have extensive programs in these areas.

I see. Well, best of luck to you! Some people are very lucky in terms of having a lot of schools that would match research interests.

I see. Well, best of luck to you! Some people are very lucky in terms of having a lot of schools that would match research interests.

Thank you! And the best of luck to you as well! I know I have lucked out by being able to match so well. The land of neuroimaging is seemingly endless. 

Undergrad Institution: Large Public Institution. Very good reputation in biology

Major(s): Cell and Molecular Biology

Minor(s):

GPA in Major: 2.8 in science (This has actually been on an upward trend in the past year)

Overall GPA: 3.1 overall

Position in Class: Average

Type of Student: Hispanic (Don't know if gay is relevant here, too)

GRE Scores (revised/old version):

Q: 160 (78%)

V: 156 (71%)

W: 5.0 (93%)

B: n/a

Research Experience: 1 year of research experience in my lab. Within that year, have already co-authored on a paper. Will primary author on a paper by the time I graduate. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Crossing my fingers for a small fellowship application. 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Undergraduate Research Assistant 

Special Bonus Points: Really strong recs. Pretty decent writer, so SoP should be good. 

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I do have a low GPA, but it is a result of my transfer year and adjustments. I got pretty heavily involved in (light) drugs, but cleaned myself up over a year ago. 

Applying to Where:

UW- Seattle. Molecular Genetics/Cell Regulation. Applying as my reach. 

UCSF - One of my recs works here. 

UT-Austin - ICMB. 

UW-Madison - Cell and Molecular

UM- Ann Arbor - Cell and Molecular

Emory - Cell and Molecular

UNC-Chapel Hill - Cell and Molecular

UT-Southwestern - Cancer biology/Cell regulation

Baylor College of Medicine - Molecular

Hey RegulationNation,

I hate to be a bad news bearer, but I would have to say almost all the schools on your list are very high-reach. I go to UTSW that you listed up there, and I would say most of my class have a reasonable GPA. Most graduate schools simply will not accept anyone w/ GPA lower than 3.0 as a policy (which is very stupid imo), for some of the programs you listed up there, the average GPA of applicants is much much higher than that. Having publications almost always certainly help (I think there is only one or two in my class who have had any sort of publications). For many of the schools you listed, you would have to demonstrate exceptional research ability in your publications (on very big journal as a first author) to justify your admission over other competitive candidates. I think a good way to overcome your GPA issue is to either do a MS and up your GPA while doing more research work, or try to convince faculty in your target school to admit you (this will probably take someone other than you to do the convincing). I think doing a PhD or masters at your current school will not be a bad idea if you like its environment and faculty's research given your current PI can provide significant help in getting you in. Hope this was helpful!

Okay so it's a little late, but I guess I'll join in. Really need help on whether or not I have too many "reach" schools. My interest is in Neurodegeneration specifically Parkinson's/ALS but because I come from heavily Cell/Molecular background I would be interested in getting any neuroscience training at all. I'm worried that never taking an actual neuroscience class is going to hurt me though, so any program where I can list a CMB specialization if I don't get accepted into the neuro program I will.

Undergrad Institution: Small state school

Major: Biology

Minor: Chemistry

GPA in major: 3.9

Overall GPA: 3.9

Position in Class: Top 1-5%? Graduated summa cum laude but I don't think my school does any sort of ranking.

Graduate Institution: UT Health Science Center at San Antonio

Degree: M.S. in Cell and Structural Biology (still attending/will finish in May)

GPA: 4.0

Type of Student: Female, minority (Hispanic)

GRE Scores

Q: 162 (83%)

V: 163 (92%)

A: 5.5 (98%)

B: 770 (78%)  I took this stupid test too early and could probably due much better now, but I'm out of time. Should I only report this to schools that recommend this test? That way it won't hurt my chances at other schools that don't care as much.

Research Experience:

1 year in undergrad doing basic molecular biology techniques: WB, cell culture, etc. Co-author on poster at institutional presentation. Will get a pretty good LOR though from PI.

During summer in between undergrad and masters I worked as a research assistant in the same lab.

By the time I finish my masters I will have an additional 3 years of experience again in a cell/molecular biology lab doing some more advanced techniques. 2 posters at departmental retreats.  One LOR from my PI, additional ones from my committee members. All should be pretty good. 

Publications: one review as middle author published, one review as primary author accepted for publication

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Departmental scholarships in undergrad and graduate school. I also successfully applied for an NIH diversity supplement to my PI's R01 grant. I'm hoping this is helpful and shows that I can write successful grants and also that it is possible for me to get this again.

Pertinent Jobs: Undergraduate Research Assistant, Graduate Research Assistant, Tutor at a Science Center and privately for molecular biology.

Applying to: (not set in stone or in any order)

Weill Cornell-neuroscience or Allied

UPenn-neuro

Baylor College of Medicine- Neuro or MCB

UTSW 

UTHSCSA (this one is practically a guaranteed acceptance)

Columbia- Neurobiology and Behavior

Northwestern- DGP

Georgetown University- Interdisciplinary Program in Neuroscience

UNC-Chapel Hill

University of Virginia

Emory

Duke-neuroscience

So any help on whether or not that list is too ambitious or not would be really appreciated. Since I was told I basically have a spot at my current institution if I want it, I don't think I need anymore safety schools, but I think I might not have enough "possible schools" and too many "reach" schools.

Whoa am I too late to jump in? It's getting super nervous now... 

Undergrad Institution: Large US state university 

Major: Biology

GPA in major: 2.9

Overall GPA: 2.9 ( If my replace scores for repeated courses it will be 3.14 Still not the strongest tho)

Position in Class: no idea

Type of Student: Female, International

GRE Scores (Taking 3rd one next week)

Q: 168 (98?)

V: 149 (50 ish)

A: 3 (15%)

Q: 162 (80?)

V: 152 (50 ish)

A: 2.5 (7%)

-Hate you AW!!!

Research Experience:

1 year research experience in huge medical center immunology lab in my home country

Publications: one middle author to be published

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Not much.. Few times Dean's list 

Attended clinical oncology conferences few times and took lectures due to my job in pharmaceutical company

Pertinent Jobs: 

1.5 year in biopharmaceutical company - attended many medical conferences mainly to promote our product, but I was in medical team so I had chances to take lectures in every conference.

Research assistant in University Medical Center in my hometown

NYU

Purdue

Thomas Jefferson U

Memorial Sloan Kettering

UCSD-biological science

City of Hope

UT San Antonio

Washington State Univ

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: 

GPA: I have 3 repeated courses: Intro Astronomy , Intro Sociology  and microbiology.  First time I got 1.0, 1.3 and 1.5 respectively, but in second try I got 2.9, 2.0 and 3.8!  First two classes were just intro classes and I had better things to do than attend class. (Which I did for many other classes, hence bad GPA) Microbiology mattered to me and I nailed it on my second try. My school does not allow replacing scores but just average them out. Hopefully this will help me pass the 3.0 cut off from many schools.

Motivation: I had a decent job in pharmaceutical company and I loved it but I quit it to do research. Any + points from here?

Conference attendance: I went to global clinical conferences in Europe, USA, and Asia. I did not present anything at the conference I just took lectures. 

Due to my low GPA, I am not positive in getting into any of those schools. But I must get into a program this year so I am trying to make my list of safety schools. Are there less competitive schools I could apply more? 

So I finally have my definitive list of schools that I am applying to:

Oregon State University

Utah State University

University of Washington

University of Connecticut

University of North Carolina

Indiana University Bloomington

Washington University in St. Louis

I'm retaking the GRE at the end of the month, hoping to bring up all of my scores into the 80th percentile or better (current scores Q 155 64%, V 160 84%, W 4.5 73%). I'm actually pretty happy with my verbal score, but I'd like to see my writing score a little higher, and my quantitative score is just abysmal, especially for someone who minored in mathematics and got all A's or A-'s, except for a nice D+ in Discrete Math, because I was a foolish freshman.

I'm still wondering if my master's GPA (3.72), plus my thesis research and other research and field experiences I've had since applying 2 years ago, will be enough to offset a low undergrad GPA. I forget if I mentioned it in my original post, but while I had a 3.59 GPA at my undergrad institution (with a 3.9 major GPA), I have a significantly lower overall GPA spread between several schools and former majors (including English, Anthropology, and variety of Computer Science/IT majors), probably in the range of 2.65 to 2.70.

On the positive side, I have made some good contacts with some POIs. POIs at USU and OSU have already indicated that they would like to work with me if I can procure my own funding (either though an NSF fellowship or receiving a university fellowship that they will nominate me for), because alas, they have no funding of their own for a new student. A POI at UNC has requested a phone/Skype interview in a few weeks, which is super exciting (and I don't need to bring my own funding!). I have one more e-mail to write to a POI at UConn who has PhD opening advertised, and then the e-mailing phase of the application process will be complete.

On the positive side, I have made some good contacts with some POIs. POIs at USU and OSU have already indicated that they would like to work with me if I can procure my own funding (either though an NSF fellowship or receiving a university fellowship that they will nominate me for), because alas, they have no funding of their own for a new student. A POI at UNC has requested a phone/Skype interview in a few weeks, which is super exciting (and I don't need to bring my own funding!). I have one more e-mail to write to a POI at UConn who has PhD opening advertised, and then the e-mailing phase of the application process will be complete.

As someone who has gone through the Ecology app process: POI matters way more than numbers in Ecology apps. Having POIs vouching for you, even with limited funding, is so important. You are halfway in. Keep looking for funding ideas at those universities, like departmental, university, and external.

Undergrad Institution: Foreign university, decent reputation in the US. 

Major: Chemistry. 5 year bachelors+ masters program.

GPA in major: 8.74/10 (3.50/4)                                                                (I calculated this myself, my univ won't show it separately)

Minor: Biology

GPA in minor: 8.67/10 (3.47/4)                                                                                                                      (again, self calculated)

Overall GPA: 8.53/10 (3.41/4)                                                         (7.3 for the 1st year, above 8.85 for every semester after that)

Position in Class: Top 15%                                                                                                                                        (3rd out of 27)

Type of Student: Male, International

GRE Scores 

Q: 170 (98%)

V: 170 (99 % :P )

A: 4.5 (56%)

Research Experience:

3 year research experience in computational chemistry (in a nucleic acid chemistry laboratory).

Right now I'm doing an experimental project involving in-vitro biophysical studies and in-vivo transcription assays (for my masters' thesis)

I'm also planning to do a little mathematical modeling work based on some experiments by one of the genetics groups here (but that project will start after I send in my apps, I'll try to mention it though)

1 summer REU in computational chemistry at Duke 

Publications: one second author paper just accepted, another hopefully will be done by mid November. 2 posters, one of them 1st author. All involving nucleic acid chemistry.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 2*Institute Academic Awards - nothing big, they give them to anyone who comes 1st/2nd in their departments in any academic year.

Applying to: 

Surely applying to:

UCSF Tetrad

Duke Genetics and genomics or MCB (1 of my LORs might be useful here)

Columbia Biological Sciences

Cornell- BCMB

U Chicago - Molecular biosciences - GGSB (1 of my LORs might be useful here)

OSU - Molecular Genetics (1 of my LORs might be useful here)

SUNY-Stony Brook - Genetics

MIT- Biology

Harvard - MCO (1 of my LORs might be useful here)

Maybes: (any 2/3)

UNC Chapel Hill - BBSP

UIUC - MCB (1 of my LORs might be useful here)

Johns Hopkins- CMDB

NYU- Biology- Genetics and systems biology

Yale - BBS - Mol, cell bio, gen and dev (completely depends on whether 1 particular prof still works there)

Biology@Princeton- Mol bio

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: 

GPA: Grading in my university is not nice at all! The guy who is 1st in  my department has a ~9.2 (3.68ish), the next guy has 8.6ish (3.44), and then there's me with 8.5 (3.4).

Motivation: In my university the major is decided at the time of admission. It was only when I took a molecular biology  course (in my 3rd year) that I realised that it was biology I wanted and not chemistry. This was confirmed when I took a graduate course in genetics a year later and loved every minute of it-operons, systems biology, epigenetics, et.al.

Since my 3rd year I've taken at least 1 bio course each semester, covering biochemistry, molecular biology and chemical biology  at a masters level and 2 courses (genetics and evolution of biological circuits, biophysics) at a graduate level.

(Total 9 courses, 2 of which courses I'm doing now and won't show in my transcripts when I apply, but I'll mention them.

I plan to do 1-2 more bio courses by the time I graduate)

The kind of research I'm doing in chemistry seems to barely scratch the surface, but attacking the problem using a biology perspective would yield much deeper insights. 

I'm hoping to do research on transcriptional regulatory circuits, involving both experimental work and mathematical modeling. Any group that does that, especially if they're also looking at the evolution of these circuits, I'd love to get into.

As far as I can see, I have 3 huge drawbacks:

1. I'm a chem major going to pretty hardcore genetics, without a genetics subject GRE score to show (stupid decision on my part, I chose the chemistry subject test because quite a few bio departments accept it)

2. Experimental bio research only for a year, mathematical modeling work only for 4 months

3. GPA. Even over here 8.5 isn't outstanding, after converting it to a 4 point scale and comparing it to some other scores it looks really inadequate. 

Questions!

1. I know I'm aiming pretty high with most of those universities...is it way too high?

2. Will the subject change be a huge issue? (I've tried and picked those univs whose department pages mention that they have chemists working in the bio department, and those that accept the chemistry GRE)

3. A couple of nice universities (UW Seattle, UW Madison, UC Berkeley, UC Davis) I've not applied to because I heard they don't have much funding for foreign students...is that true? 

4. I'm fairly confident that I have done enough bio-related coursework, but is 1 years wet lab work in a bio lab too little?

5. There are some groups whose papers I've read as part of coursework/research and really enjoyed. I'm applying to 2-3 such places. I'm guessing it would be ok to mail them before sending the formal application?

PS: Sorry for the massive post, I'm super nervous and have a million doubts!

Edited by berba9

NYU

Purdue

Thomas Jefferson U

Memorial Sloan Kettering

UCSD-biological science

City of Hope

UT San Antonio

Washington State Univ

Due to my low GPA, I am not positive in getting into any of those schools. But I must get into a program this year so I am trying to make my list of safety schools. Are there less competitive schools I could apply more? 

I applied to NYU, Sloan Kettering, and UCSD a couple years ago with a GPA similar to yours and didn't get an interview. Doesn't mean you won't, but those places are known to be very competitive and may not even look at your application due to a GPA cutoff. I think your time may be better spent applying to more likely programs; I would suggest some public "Ivies" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Ivy#Greenes.E2.80.99_Guides).

I also used to work at Jefferson...they don't have much money for their PhD programs (med school and hospital get priority) so they don't take many people, again I'd skip them. Would recommend my current program (UTHealth) because my incoming class has about ~12 international students out of 45 and our funding is fantastic. Would also suggest Baylor and UTSW in that vein. Also, email some PI's and administrators to gauge what the departments past acceptances have been like. Good luck!

As someone who has gone through the Ecology app process: POI matters way more than numbers in Ecology apps. Having POIs vouching for you, even with limited funding, is so important. You are halfway in. Keep looking for funding ideas at those universities, like departmental, university, and external.

Thanks for the input! I have been wondering how much POI support means in the application process. In many programs, one cannot be admitted without it, but I still didn't know how having it would play into the admissions committee's decision.

Thanks for the input! I have been wondering how much POI support means in the application process. In many programs, one cannot be admitted without it, but I still didn't know how having it would play into the admissions committee's decision.

The two programs I was accepted at were the two where I had the closest contact with the POI's and they were actively recruiting me by vouching for me at interviews and such. It's definitely very important. :) That's why ecology is so weird for apps. The POI can change the entire game.

I applied to NYU, Sloan Kettering, and UCSD a couple years ago with a GPA similar to yours and didn't get an interview. Doesn't mean you won't, but those places are known to be very competitive and may not even look at your application due to a GPA cutoff. I think your time may be better spent applying to more likely programs; I would suggest some public "Ivies" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Ivy#Greenes.E2.80.99_Guides).

I also used to work at Jefferson...they don't have much money for their PhD programs (med school and hospital get priority) so they don't take many people, again I'd skip them. Would recommend my current program (UTHealth) because my incoming class has about ~12 international students out of 45 and our funding is fantastic. Would also suggest Baylor and UTSW in that vein. Also, email some PI's and administrators to gauge what the departments past acceptances have been like. Good luck!

I assume by your profile you mean the one at Houston which I second. I'd also recommend the one at San Antonio. I know from PhD friends that they accept people with lower GPAs if the rest of the application makes up for it. It has gotten more competitive since then due to funding problems, but if you would eventually end up in cancer I think they have pretty decent funding right now. Internationals tend to be about 20-25% of the incoming class. Also the application is free, and you'd probably like it better than UTSA though there is significant collaboration between the two.  

As someone who has gone through the Ecology app process: POI matters way more than numbers in Ecology apps. Having POIs vouching for you, even with limited funding, is so important. 

Are you saying this is true across all Ecology programs?  

Are you saying this is true across all Ecology programs?  

I'm saying this is true across most. Of course, I can't say what ALL ecology programs do.

Great POI can't save you if the admissions committee doesn't want you in their department due to lackluster previous work or bad attitude at interviews.

Undergrad Institution: UK Uni. Internationally famous for science (yep it probably is the one you think it is)
Major(s): Biochemistry
Minor(s): If only you could do minors......
GPA in Major: around 3.5-3.7 when converted
Overall GPA: only do majors here.
Position in Class: Somewhere around the top, but not quite. 
Type of Student: International. Asian. but female (though this no longer really gives me an advantage)

Q: 170
V: 165
W: 5
B: Nope. These only happen twice a year in England. 

Research Experience: 2 summers (as we can't do it during term times) - One back home (still top 100 university in the world I think?) and one at home institution. Will have another project underway before graduating (thesis one). 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Tutoring, volunteering at the science museum, other things that will be on CV but not relevant. 

Special (Bonus) Points: Two recommenders are both pretty well-known in their respective fields, are senior lecturers, though I won't be going in either of their fields. All letters of recommendations promise to be good~great. Also, I get a TOEFL waiver. 

Applying to Where:

The definite ones! (ie. their research is amazing, and do line up very well with my interests so I will not give them up unless I really really have to)

MIT

Columbia

Stanford

U Michigan

The maybe ones!

Scripps

WUSTL

Cornell (Weill)

Duke

Please help me out! I really have no idea as to where I should apply & where I will have a chance. It also doesn't help that research in my area of interest all seem to happen at these top, highly competitive schools. The fact that I'm an international asian without external funding probably doesn't help much either. Anyone willing to recommend some places for me to look at (though I'm pretty sure I've went through the top 30 schools and their faculty list!), that would be great! Or even tips on how to find people. Generally all tips welcome. 

EDIT: Stupid me! Forgot to say my area of interest, which is proteomics, protein structure, protein folding, protein folding pathways, in sum proteostasis. Proteins, proteins, proteins, in general rather than a specific enzyme (though focusing on a family also fits my interest!). 

Edited by gillymon

Check out NIH reporter. Its a search engine for all NIH grants and recipients. You can search by keyword to find investigators in your area of interest, and, more importantly, find out who has money to do research, pay your wages, and other important stuff like that.

http://projectreporter.nih.gov/reporter.cfm

Undergrad Institution: UK Uni. Internationally famous for science (yep it probably is the one you think it is)

Major(s): Biochemistry

Minor(s): If only you could do minors......

GPA in Major: around 3.5-3.7 when converted

Overall GPA: only do majors here.

Position in Class: Somewhere around the top, but not quite. 

Type of Student: International. Asian. but female (though this no longer really gives me an advantage)

Q: 170

V: 165

W: 5

B: Nope. These only happen twice a year in England. 

Research Experience: 2 summers (as we can't do it during term times) - One back home (still top 100 university in the world I think?) and one at home institution. Will have another project underway before graduating (thesis one). 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Tutoring, volunteering at the science museum, other things that will be on CV but not relevant. 

Special (Bonus) Points: Two recommenders are both pretty well-known in their respective fields, are senior lecturers, though I won't be going in either of their fields. All letters of recommendations promise to be good~great. Also, I get a TOEFL waiver. 

Applying to Where:

The definite ones! (ie. their research is amazing, and do line up very well with my interests so I will not give them up unless I really really have to)

MIT

Columbia

Stanford

U Michigan

The maybe ones!

Scripps

WUSTL

Cornell (Weill)

Duke

Please help me out! I really have no idea as to where I should apply & where I will have a chance. It also doesn't help that research in my area of interest all seem to happen at these top, highly competitive schools. The fact that I'm an international asian without external funding probably doesn't help much either. Anyone willing to recommend some places for me to look at (though I'm pretty sure I've went through the top 30 schools and their faculty list!), that would be great! Or even tips on how to find people. Generally all tips welcome. 

If you share your research interests then others may be able give advice. I am really lucky that only a couple of the top schools for my interests are ranked in the top 10 and the others are closer to 30, at least giving me a sort of reasonable shot there. I am sure that there are at least a few schools ranked around (20-50) that people can suggest if you give some more info about what you hope to study.

Undergrad Institution: Top research University
Major(s): Biological Chemistry 
Minor(s): Math
GPA in Major: Unsure, it's not calculated for us and I haven't bothered to try and do it myself
Overall GPA: 3.55
Position in Class: Pretty high I think
Type of Student: Generic white dude

Q: 170
V: 161
W: Still waiting on this, will edit it in once I get it

Research Experience: 2 years doing yeast biochemistry at home institution, 2 summers and senior year spent doing R&D of diagnostic assays at a biotech company. Currently a Research Associate II.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:  President of a frat but I doubt this will come up aside from on my resume.

Applying to Where:
Definitely:

Stanford Biosciences

UCSF Biomedical Sciences

UCSD Biosciences

Harvard

Scripps Institute

UCLA

Rockefeller Institute

Probably:

U Penn

U Chicago

Johns Hopkins

UC Berkeley

I know that this isn't exactly the format but I figure this is the best topic to ask.

My major is Chemistry but I'm really really interested in neuroscience research. I didn't figure that out until my senior year. This is my gap year and I'm applying to Neuroscience PhD programs.

I went to a large private college for chemistry
overall gpa: 3.60
Major gpa: 3.59
Gre V: 165
Gre Q: 166
AW :5
Waiting for chemistry gre results.

I did 2 years of research in an organometalllic chemistry lab at my college where I also won a small research Grant, had my abstracts published and presented at a conference held at my school.

In my gap year, I'm interning at a pediatric oncology lab at a pretty prestigious med school. I wanted to learn more bio skills. I'm also auditing some neuroscience classes at that school.

Is this enough for a decent application? The research that I'm interested in doing is Chemistry related but it falls mainly under neuro.

I know that this isn't exactly the format but I figure this is the best topic to ask.

My major is Chemistry but I'm really really interested in neuroscience research. I didn't figure that out until my senior year. This is my gap year and I'm applying to Neuroscience PhD programs.

I went to a large private college for chemistry

overall gpa: 3.60

Major gpa: 3.59

Gre V: 165

Gre Q: 166

AW :5

Waiting for chemistry gre results.

I did 2 years of research in an organometalllic chemistry lab at my college where I also won a small research Grant, had my abstracts published and presented at a conference held at my school.

In my gap year, I'm interning at a pediatric oncology lab at a pretty prestigious med school. I wanted to learn more bio skills. I'm also auditing some neuroscience classes at that school.

Is this enough for a decent application? The research that I'm interested in doing is Chemistry related but it falls mainly under neuro.

I think that you've got a competitive application. Your GPA might be a little low for some of the top schools, but I don't think there's anywhere that is absolutely out of your reach. 

Good Luck!