Overall GPA: 3.73

Position in Class: magna cum laude

Type of Student: Domestic female

GRE Scores (revised/old version):

Q: 161 (81%)

V: 159 (81%)

W: 5.5 (97% ?)

B: Never took because the biochem one is a soul sucking demon

I had one REU at a fairly well known school and 3 years of undergrad research at my unknown undergrad. I didn't have anything else particularly shiny about my application. In hindsight, I should have reached out to PIs and applied to programs that better suited my interests. I got very lucky to wind up in a great program for me!

Accepted to - Penn State BMMB(with a competitive fellowship), and UConn MCB

Interview but rejected - Dartmouth MCB

Reeeeejected - Yale BBS, Harvard BBS, Princeton MB/QCB, Boston PiBS, Tufts Sackler, Hopkins Biophysics, Cornell BCMB (winner of the fastest rejection ever award), and UNH (no idea why I actually applied here) ... I may be forgetting one, will update if I remember

So- if you take anything away from this: YOU WILL BE REJECTED FROM PLACES IF YOU DONT FIT WELL. For example, all of my research had been very old school biochemistry. Umbrella biomedical programs probably weren't my best bet. The two programs I got accepted to are biochem programs with some very chemistry heavy labs, which is exactly what my background is suited for. This is where taking a year off would've been handy for me to figure out what I actually wanted, but hey, it all worked out.

Undergrad Institution: Mid-Size State School with a pretty good research track
Major(s):Neuroscience and psychology
Minor(s):
GPA in Major:
Overall GPA:
Position in Class: cum laude
Type of Student: white male 2.5 years removed

Q:155
V:152
W:5

Research Experience: 3+ years directed and volunteer research on presymptomatic HD neurotransmitter release and reuptake at home institution that included several presentations (national and local) a couple abstracts and just recently a co-author on a publication.  Also was introduced and became efficient in cell and tissue culturing, biological assays, microdialysis, tissue sectioning, stereotaxic surgery, and rodent behavior analysis and animal handling.  Aided in the study design and data collection, as well as co-authored, two studies on altruism (psychology).  One involving smoking behavior and the other on the differences of between religion and political affiliation on altruism.  After graduating and relocating for my job, I have volunteered at the local uni's neuroscience program.  The first project I worked on involved using CORT to stimulate the physiological responses involved with stress and see if forced exercise would ameliorate the effects that CORT has on BDNF.  Unfortunately this project didn't go anywhere.  After months of work the grad student kinda flaked.  The samples are still in the freezer.  The next project involving the differential effects on the sensitization of amphetamine with concurrent exposure to restraint stress in rats.  Results from this research were presented at local conferences.  Was supposed to go to D.C. and present it at the national conference. But couldn't make it out there.  Possible future publication after ELIZA assays are performed.  Plus, there is interest from other labs on the effectiveness of our variable restraint paradigm that we instituted for this project.  

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: National S.M.A.R.T. grant (2009-2011), Dean's list and what not

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Currently a report coordinator at a major CRO in the midwest.  Started off as research assistant.  Work with Study directors, PI's, scientist's, and other personal in producing the final report that will ultimately be going to the FDA or similar entities.  

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: play an ok guitar, like to sleep

Special Bonus Points: strong LoR for prof from three different institutions.  Former undergrad adviser co-director of the neuroscience program

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I'm a little older than must people appying

Applying to Where:

Rutgers-CMBN
ASU-Neuro
Rosalind- Biomedical

Wright state- neuro

prob others

applying was a last minute thing.  Got motivated to pursue a grad degree after a colleague of mine finished her Ph.d. a couple months ago.  I already know my GRE's are shit but I was hoping my research and work experience might make up for that.  Anyway, tell me what you think.    

Edited by wickie

Undergrad Institution: Mid-Size State School with a pretty good research trackMajor(s):Neuroscience and psychologyMinor(s):GPA in Major:Overall GPA:Position in Class: cum laudeType of Student: white male 2.5 years removedGRE Scores (revised/old version):Q:155V:152W:5Research Experience: 3+ years directed and volunteer research on presymptomatic HD neurotransmitter release and reuptake at home institution that included several presentations (national and local) a couple abstracts and just recently a co-author on a publication.  Also was introduced and became efficient in cell and tissue culturing, biological assays, microdialysis, tissue sectioning, stereotaxic surgery, and rodent behavior analysis and animal handling.  Aided in the study design and data collection, as well as co-authored, two studies on altruism (psychology).  One involving smoking behavior and the other on the differences of between religion and political affiliation on altruism.  After graduating and relocating for my job, I have volunteered at the local uni's neuroscience program.  The first project I worked on involved using CORT to stimulate the physiological responses involved with stress and see if forced exercise would ameliorate the effects that CORT has on BDNF.  Unfortunately this project didn't go anywhere.  After months of work the grad student kinda flaked.  The samples are still in the freezer.  The next project involving the differential effects on the sensitization of amphetamine with concurrent exposure to restraint stress in rats.  Results from this research were presented at local conferences.  Was supposed to go to D.C. and present it at the national conference. But couldn't make it out there.  Possible future publication after ELIZA assays are performed.  Plus, there is interest from other labs on the effectiveness of our variable restraint paradigm that we instituted for this project.  

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: National S.M.A.R.T. grant (2009-2011), Dean's list and what notPertinent Activities or Jobs: Currently a report coordinator at a major CRO in the midwest.  Started off as research assistant.  Work with Study directors, PI's, scientist's, and other personal in producing the final report that will ultimately be going to the FDA or similar entities.  Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: play an ok guitar, like to sleepSpecial Bonus Points: strong LoR for prof from three different institutions.  Former undergrad adviser co-director of the neuroscience programAny Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I'm a little older than must people appyingApplying to Where:

Rutgers-CMBN

ASU-Neuro

Rosalind- Biomedical

Wright state- neuro

prob others

applying was a last minute thing.  Got motivated to pursue a grad degree after a colleague of mine finished her Ph.d. a couple months ago.  I already know my GRE's are shit but I was hoping my research and work experience might make up for that.  Anyway, tell me what you think.

I posted earlier with a very similar background. I was advised to apply to many places. I hope you get in one of your choices. The GRE was hell for me, and I ran out of time on the questions. The programs I applied to said not to worry about them. I have a good gpa, research exp, and a 2nd author publication and I hope to Moses that one school accepts me. This may also the situation your in. I think you should apply to a few more just in case, but that's up to you. Good luck.

Undergrad Institution: “public ivy”
Major(s):Bio & Environmental Sci
Minor(s):
GPA in Major:3.81
Overall GPA:3.71
Position in Class: no clue
Type of Student: domestic male

Grad Institution: big public

Major: Education/curriculum & instruction (Master’s)

GPA:3.86

Q: 167 (94%)
V: 164 (93%)
W: 5.5 (98%)
B: 920 (99%)

Research Experience: 3.5 years in undergrad (evolution focus), also while on study abroad (ecology focus).

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Some HHMI undergrad grants/awards, Americorps 900 hour service award

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: College Tutor, Lab tech, and HS science teacher 3 years

Special Bonus Points: The PI in my undergrad lab has connections with a lab I’m interested in.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

I really try to play up the teaching aspect. I’ve taught a wide variety of students and a wide variety of subjects (bio, chem., anatomy & phys)

I’m primarily interested in evolution on the genetic level (specifically the evolution of gene regulation)

Applying to Where:

Umass: OEB

Indiana: EEB

Michigan: EEB

Duke: G&G

UC Davis: IGG
UC Berkeley: MCB

UC Irvine: EEB

One question: is a 99% on the subject score something admission committees will be impressed by or will it be more of a footnote on my application?

Undergrad Institution: “public ivy”

Major(s):Bio & Environmental Sci

Minor(s):

GPA in Major:3.81

Overall GPA:3.71

Position in Class: no clue

Type of Student: domestic male

Grad Institution: big public

Major: Education/curriculum & instruction (Master’s)

GPA:3.86

Q: 167 (94%)

V: 164 (93%)

B: 920 (99%)

Research Experience: 3.5 years in undergrad (evolution focus), also while on study abroad (ecology focus).

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Some HHMI undergrad grants/awards, Americorps 900 hour service award

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: College Tutor, Lab tech, and HS science teacher 3 years

Special Bonus Points: The PI in my undergrad lab has connections with a lab I’m interested in.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

I really try to play up the teaching aspect. I’ve taught a wide variety of students and a wide variety of subjects (bio, chem., anatomy & phys)

I’m primarily interested in evolution on the genetic level (specifically the evolution of gene regulation)

Applying to Where:

Umass: OEB

Indiana: EEB

Michigan: EEB

Duke: G&G

UC Davis: IGG

UC Berkeley: MCB

UC Irvine: EEB

One question: is a 99% on the subject score something admission committees will be impressed by or will it be more of a footnote on my application?

I just re-read this and I realized this might come across as conceited.  I am just nervous about the whole process and am intimidated by people with publications etc. I was hoping it might be enough to make an application standout.

I just re-read this and I realized this might come across as conceited.  I am just nervous about the whole process and am intimidated by people with publications etc. I was hoping it might be enough to make an application standout.

I, too, am hoping that the GRE serves our applications well (I didn't take the subject test, but my stats are almost identical to yours). Maybe we're conceited, or maybe we're just nervous (like everyone here) and it's something to feel good about. Seeing the GRE as helpful is an unpopular opinion, as most people are quick to say something along the lines of "a good GRE gets ignored, a bad GRE score hurts you". I don't know if this is true, and it might be. Even if it is, your entire application profile is strong and I wish you the best.

I, too, am hoping that the GRE serves our applications well (I didn't take the subject test, but my stats are almost identical to yours). Maybe we're conceited, or maybe we're just nervous (like everyone here) and it's something to feel good about. Seeing the GRE as helpful is an unpopular opinion, as most people are quick to say something along the lines of "a good GRE gets ignored, a bad GRE score hurts you". I don't know if this is true, and it might be. Even if it is, your entire application profile is strong and I wish you the best.

I didn't get the vibe that either of you are conceited! We had a couple super conceited people last year... *sigh*

I think a good GRE definitely helps. It's not your whole application, for sure. But if it comes down to you and another applicant, they might look at the GRE score. Or if you have th subject and they don't, etc. When I preinterviewed at Penn State, a faculty member commented how my GRE scores were great. Especially if another part of your app is weak, it may reassure them.

I'm thinking of adding Yale to my list. I got an advertisement for a PhD position in the EEB department in avian ecology the other night on a listserv, and the professor is doing some really cool research in Africa. The ad also mentioned the possibility of doing field work in Central and South America, which is pretty much my dream.

My stats are a bit low for Yale (although I haven't seen numbers for accepted students posted on their website). My undergrad GPA is really hairy... 3.59 from where I got my degree, but when you combine all of my GPAs from the several schools I attended, it comes to 2.80. However, my major GPA is about 3.89 (depends on what exactly you call a major course), and for my last 3 years in undergrad, I didn't have a GPA less than 3.7 and only 3 B+'s amongst a sea of A's. My master's GPA is 3.72 and I've got a good thesis going on, plus two papers submitted to journals (one in review). My GRE scores are a mixed bag... V 160 (84%), Q 155 (60%), and AW 4.5 (80%), but I feel that even a percentile in the 80's is still low for Yale.

On the bright side, I looked at some of the current lab members, and one had a 3.3 for their undergrad GPA plus a master's with a GPA similar to mine. She also didn't have the field experience that I do, but she did do some great internships. I e-mailed the professor a little while ago. Hopefully he'll get back to me before the holiday begins, but I guess it doesn't matter much if it's after, since the due date for apps is December 15th. I imagine he'll let me know if I'm competitive enough.

Yeah, it has been dead. I also made a similar comment on another thread to try to liven things up around here. I heard from peachypie that there is a GC off-site chat we could look for.

I'm graduating in December too! What do you plan to do during your gap semester?

i'm going to relax for a month... i hope - then get a job if i can. i've been working non-stop from undergrad through masters without any breaks (always taking courses or doing something) and i would love a month of nothing. sort of like office space where i just wake up and lay in my bed, staring at the ceiling for a few hours, and then gradually get out out bed and eat cereal. i just need a recharge and then i'll be good to go. ya feel me?

So.. I'm looking at my completed application to make sure everything is in and I see that one of my LOR writers has misspelled my last name. It might give the wrong vibe to admissions to see that a writer has misspelled an applicants name. On the other hand, the writer is getting near retirement and the misspelling is a small, common mistake. e.g. change of vowel 'a' to 'e'.

Besides feeling slightly offended, I'm not sure what to think. I'm so toasted from going through this application process it hardly phased me. Do I do anything at all?

Edited by yolk

i'm going to relax for a month... i hope - then get a job if i can. i've been working non-stop from undergrad through masters without any breaks (always taking courses or doing something) and i would love a month of nothing. sort of like office space where i just wake up and lay in my bed, staring at the ceiling for a few hours, and then gradually get out out bed and eat cereal. i just need a recharge and then i'll be good to go. ya feel me?

Yeah, this. I just signed up for a community pottery class and I plan on sitting around a lot. I'm still going to be working in my lab, but not having classes to worry about will free up some time to zone out.

So.. I'm looking at my completed application to make sure everything is in and I see that one of my LOR writers has misspelled my last name. It might give the wrong vibe to admissions to see that a writer has misspelled an applicants name. On the other hand, the writer is getting near retirement and the misspelling is a small, common mistake. e.g. change of vowel 'a' to 'e'.

Besides feeling slightly offended, I'm not sure what to think. I'm so toasted from going through this application process it hardly phased me. Do I do anything at all?

This would really bug me but I don't think it will impact you negatively. I can think of people I know well and but also not sure how to spell their names (mostly Lindsay/Lindsey/Lindsy/Lindsi and anyone whose last name ends in -son or -sen, like Anderson/Andersen or Ericsson/Ericson/Ericsen/Eriksen etc). Is it only one instance of misspelling?

Other thought unrelated to the above: I think this thread should really be two separate threads. Applicant profiles (this one) and admissions results (another one). But maybe it doesn't matter.

It definitely won't impact you negatively. It's a misspelling. If your LOR got your name completely wrong, that's another thing, but your readers probably won't even notice this.

And also don't be offended that someone misspelled your name..... that's an honest mistake.

Edited by username1824

I doubt that any committee would hold a misspelled name against anyone. They have hundreds of applicants to go through, and probably don't even know your name to begin with unless your name keeps coming up in discussions. 

Hopefully everyone on this thread has some good news from their schools before the holidays. I'll admit, I've never been in a situation where I don't know where I'll be living or doing in the next year and its screwing with my mind. But life has a way of working itself out, we are all freaking out for nothing most likely. 

I know that I'll either hear from U of Washington and WUSTL in mid-December for interviews, or I won't (and in that case I'll probably get a rejection sometime in January). The rest of my schools don't even start looking at applications until sometime in January.

Hopefully everyone does get some good news in December, though, because that's when the anxiety is really going to kick into full swing!

Hey guys, so I got my Biochemistry, Cell and Molecular Biology subject test back. My Biochem subscores were pretty decent (80%+) but everything else was pretty abysmal (below 50% for the cell bio subscore and a little better for molecular bio). Should I even bother even submitting my scores? I am applying to Biochemistry/Chemical Biology programs anyway. I guess I'm worried that they'll look at my overall score before my subscore.

Edited by Ragneo

Hey guys, so I got my Biochemistry, Cell and Molecular Biology subject test back. My Biochem subscores were pretty decent (80%+) but everything else was pretty abysmal (below 50% for the cell bio subscore and a little better for molecular bio). Should I even bother even submitting my scores? I am applying to Biochemistry/Chemical Biology programs anyway. I guess I'm worried that they'll look at my overall score before my subscore.

I looked at the stats you posted, and they look really really solid, so I think these scores would hurt more than they could help. We had similar stats and I didn't do well on my subject test, didn't submit it to any school, and it didn't hurt me at all. 

I am super late to this, and almost done applying, but I just though some feedback might be nice :)

Undergrad Institution: Big private research university
Major(s): Microbiology & Immunology
Minor(s):
Chemistry, Art
GPA in Major: 3.5
Overall GPA: 3.65
Type of Student: Domestic white female

GRE Scores:
Q: 163 (86%)
V: 163 (92%)
B: 720 (65%) Subscores: CMB = 88%, Organismal = 28% (yikes!), Ecol/Evol = 67%

Research Experience: I have been constantly involved in research since sophomore year.

-Over a year in a stem cell lab working on an independent project for most of my time there.

-One SURP experience at a top research university working on Malaria.

-And then I have spent my senior year and my current gap year in an immunology lab at my university.

-My 3 PIs from my three research experiences are writing my recommendation letters.

-No publications though :(

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Academic scholarship from my university. Graduated with general honors. Have been on dean’s list, provost’s honor roll, and president’s honor roll.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:
 I was president of the Microbiology & Immunology club at my school for two years, and an active member for all four years. I have also done a lot of volunteering in hospitals, both in the US and abroad (I used to be pre-med).

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I have two C’s, in biochemistry and in cell biology and this is what I’m most worried about. Do I stand a chance? I was going through a rough time, hence the grades. The classes were hard. I believe that I am not deficient in my knowledge of these subjects in any way. How can I make the schools overlook my bad grades?

Applying to Where: (I kind of ranked them from “safe” to “reach” schools)

University of Illinois at Chicago, Microbiology & Immunology

University of Miami Program in Biomedical Sciences

Georgetown Microbiology & Immunology

Georgetown Global Infectious Diseases

George Washington School of Medicine Microbiology & Immunology

Stony Brook Molecular Genetics and Microbiology

Albert Einstein College of Medicine

Boston University School of Medicine Program in Biomedical Sciences

University of Chicago Biomedical Sciences (Microbiology)

University of Michigan Microbiology & Immunology

NYU Sackler Institute of Graduate Biomedical Sciences

Columbia University Microbiology, Immunology & Infection 

*** So my biggest concerns are about my grades, and also whether I should send my subject test score or not? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! And good luck to the rest of you going through this!

I am super late to this, and almost done applying, but I just though some feedback might be nice :)

*** So my biggest concerns are about my grades, and also whether I should send my subject test score or not? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! And good luck to the rest of you going through this!

Your grades are fine. You shouldn't worry about that. You're going to have to take Cell Bio and Biochem again or some version of it in your grad program anyway. I would send the subject test. They will see your subscores, so it shouldn't be a problem. The organismal bio part of the test covers a lot of stuff that won't be relevant to your phd. Same with the Eco/Evo part. I would email some of the schools and ask how they weigh the test. Will they pay more attention for the CMB part which you did excellent on or will all subscores have an equal weight. If the other two aren't super important to the adcom send the score. Also, does Georgetown allow you to apply to two different programs? Do you have a good fit with each program? That's the most important part.

Undergrad Institution: Big private research university

Major(s): Microbiology & Immunology

Minor(s): Chemistry, Art

GPA in Major: 3.5

Overall GPA: 3.65

Type of Student: Domestic white female

GRE Scores:

Q: 163 (86%)

V: 163 (92%)

B: 720 (65%) Subscores: CMB = 88%, Organismal = 28% (yikes!), Ecol/Evol = 67%

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I have two C’s, in biochemistry and in cell biology and this is what I’m most worried about. Do I stand a chance? I was going through a rough time, hence the grades. The classes were hard. I believe that I am not deficient in my knowledge of these subjects in any way. How can I make the schools overlook my bad grades?

I think since they will be able to distinguish between the subscores, that submitting your subject test scores may help combat any worry over the Cs you have in biochemistry and cell biology since you do very well on that sub score. 

I'm late to this game, but I just thought I'd put my stuff up here.

Undergrad Institution: Small private school. I think maybe well known for its marine bio program?
Major(s): Marine Biology
Minor(s): Chemistry
GPA in Major: 4.0
Overall GPA: 4.0
Position in Class: I have no idea, I don’t think my school does this. But I would guess I am near the top, at least definitely of my marine biology cohort.
Type of Student: white female

Q: 160
V: 169
W: 5.5
B: N/A

Research Experience: 

I have worked in my professor’s fish physiology lab for the past two years, the first being primarily volunteer work involving feeding his fish, measuring their growth, monitoring tank water quality, and assisting his graduate students with some of her experiments. This year I am conducting my senior thesis in his lab, with the goal of determining the optimal method for measuring the standard metabolic rate of the juvenile Hawaiian flagtail we have.

This past summer I spent 9 weeks at the NMFS lab in Panama City, FL conducting research under the guidance of the Shark Population Assessment Group. This involved aiding in age and growth studies, population assessments and habitat assessments in the field, and also my own independent project. My project reassessed the relationship between shark maternal size and litter size in a myriad of shark species, using data provided by past researchers. This project did not culminate in a paper, but I did present the results of my project at the NOAA Student Symposium for Hollings and EPP Scholars at the end of the summer.

I’ve also been a part of my school’s marine mammal stranding team for the past three years. This experience hasn’t involved so much independent research, but I have been an integral part of the larger research the university conducts, aiding in necropsies, bone cleaning, organization of samples, etc. I’m also a “team leader” for this program, helping to train new volunteers in our procedures as they come to help out.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: NOAA Ernest F. Hollings Undergraduate Scholarship (2013-2015), University Scholars Program, Multiple merit scholarships from my university

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: I had an internship the summer before my sophomore year working in the Education department at Mystic Aquarium, which I am hoping at least shows my passion for outreach (especially to young students) and teaching. I've also worked in my school’s library, helping students find books, fixing computer/printer issues, shelving books, acting as a kind of assistant manager for the circulation desk, for what will end up being all four years of my time in college. OK, I’m not sure this is actually pertinent or important, but I do have it listed on my CV under professional experience. Maybe at least it will show my commitment to working in the same place for four years…

Special Bonus Points: I’m having one of my NOAA mentors from my summer internship be one of my reference letter writers. And my other mentor has contacted a few of the professors at schools who I am interested in doing research with. Both of them are well known at least within the shark research community, and I believe the latter mentor is generally well known as a NOAA scientist.

Applying to Where:
Florida State University M.S. Biology—Elasmobranch habitat use, reproduction

University of North Florida M.S. Biology—Elasmobranch reproduction, impacts of pollutants on elasmobranchs

University of New England M.S. Marine Science—Elasmobranch and other fish reproduction, methods to reduce bycatch

Virginia Institute of Marine Science M.S. Marine Science—Elasmobranch reproduction, reef mesopredators, deep-water shark biology

I’m also considering a few other schools, but they all require a definite commitment from a potential advisor before the school will even look at your application. Some advisors I haven’t heard back from at all, while others have said, “Oh, well, it depends on funding,” which of course it does. But we’ll see. Those are the four schools I am most interested in at the moment, and paying all of the fees for those applications is already making me feel poor…

Edited by katsharki3

I think since they will be able to distinguish between the subscores, that submitting your subject test scores may help combat any worry over the Cs you have in biochemistry and cell biology since you do very well on that sub score. 

Correct you are. The good CMB subscore should partially offset your C's.

Edited by Appsitude

Yeah, it has been dead. I also made a similar comment on another thread to try to liven things up around here. I heard from peachypie that there is a GC off-site chat we could look for.

I'm graduating in December too! What do you plan to do during your gap semester?

It seems like things were more active around here last year....Then again I don't think I really started using GradCafe until December/January of 2013/2014.  

I'm late to this game, but I just thought I'd put my stuff up here.

Undergrad Institution: Small private school. I think maybe well known for its marine bio program?

Major(s): Marine Biology

Minor(s): Chemistry

GPA in Major: 4.0

Overall GPA: 4.0

Position in Class: I have no idea, I don’t think my school does this. But I would guess I am near the top, at least definitely of my marine biology cohort.

Type of Student: white female

Q: 160

V: 169

W: 5.5

B: N/A

Research Experience: 

I have worked in my professor’s fish physiology lab for the past two years, the first being primarily volunteer work involving feeding his fish, measuring their growth, monitoring tank water quality, and assisting his graduate students with some of her experiments. This year I am conducting my senior thesis in his lab, with the goal of determining the optimal method for measuring the standard metabolic rate of the juvenile Hawaiian flagtail we have.

This past summer I spent 9 weeks at the NMFS lab in Panama City, FL conducting research under the guidance of the Shark Population Assessment Group. This involved aiding in age and growth studies, population assessments and habitat assessments in the field, and also my own independent project. My project reassessed the relationship between shark maternal size and litter size in a myriad of shark species, using data provided by past researchers. This project did not culminate in a paper, but I did present the results of my project at the NOAA Student Symposium for Hollings and EPP Scholars at the end of the summer.

I’ve also been a part of my school’s marine mammal stranding team for the past three years. This experience hasn’t involved so much independent research, but I have been an integral part of the larger research the university conducts, aiding in necropsies, bone cleaning, organization of samples, etc. I’m also a “team leader” for this program, helping to train new volunteers in our procedures as they come to help out.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: NOAA Ernest F. Hollings Undergraduate Scholarship (2013-2015), University Scholars Program, Multiple merit scholarships from my university

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: I had an internship the summer before my sophomore year working in the Education department at Mystic Aquarium, which I am hoping at least shows my passion for outreach (especially to young students) and teaching. I've also worked in my school’s library, helping students find books, fixing computer/printer issues, shelving books, acting as a kind of assistant manager for the circulation desk, for what will end up being all four years of my time in college. OK, I’m not sure this is actually pertinent or important, but I do have it listed on my CV under professional experience. Maybe at least it will show my commitment to working in the same place for four years…

Special Bonus Points: I’m having one of my NOAA mentors from my summer internship be one of my reference letter writers. And my other mentor has contacted a few of the professors at schools who I am interested in doing research with. Both of them are well known at least within the shark research community, and I believe the latter mentor is generally well known as a NOAA scientist.

Applying to Where:

Florida State University M.S. Biology—Elasmobranch habitat use, reproduction

University of North Florida M.S. Biology—Elasmobranch reproduction, impacts of pollutants on elasmobranchs

University of New England M.S. Marine Science—Elasmobranch and other fish reproduction, methods to reduce bycatch

Virginia Institute of Marine Science M.S. Marine Science—Elasmobranch reproduction, reef mesopredators, deep-water shark biology

I’m also considering a few other schools, but they all require a definite commitment from a potential advisor before the school will even look at your application. Some advisors I haven’t heard back from at all, while others have said, “Oh, well, it depends on funding,” which of course it does. But we’ll see. Those are the four schools I am most interested in at the moment, and paying all of the fees for those applications is already making me feel poor…

With a 4.0, great GRE scores, and great experience, why are applying to only Master's programs?  I have looked into many marine bio/biological oceanography programs and Maine is the only one that requires a solid commitment from a potential advisor as far as I know.

UNE:  you will get into this program. The school itself is better than it seems (I used to live in Maine, did some schooling up there) and the marine science there is geared more towards marine mammal rehabilitation, which is a very big deal for UNE (wounded marine mammals get taken there over other locations).  Considering applying myself.  

VIMS: for the Master's, you will get in.  I have been talking to them, I'm sure you stand a great chance for the Ph.D., program, too. 

Edited by Crucial BBQ