2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dedi

Got an email from UMass inviting me to their recruitment weekends...that's their interview right??

Congrats and good luck.

Don't forget to have a little bit of fun.

Edited by Vene

I was just talking with my first year friends, and we were talking about how we really really wish we could interview again because they were all so fun haha. Enjoy the dinners, they're usually in some decently fancy restaurants. Always a highlight.

The university I'm attending gave us so much free alcohol, it was great.

I, too, am hoping that the GRE serves our applications well (I didn't take the subject test, but my stats are almost identical to yours). Maybe we're conceited, or maybe we're just nervous (like everyone here) and it's something to feel good about. Seeing the GRE as helpful is an unpopular opinion, as most people are quick to say something along the lines of "a good GRE gets ignored, a bad GRE score hurts you". I don't know if this is true, and it might be. Even if it is, your entire application profile is strong and I wish you the best.

I feel the same, but with other experiences than the GRE.  

...and all the calculuses (calculi?). 

It is simply "the calculus".  

I got an RA job with a chemistry prof during a time when I only had Gen Chem I & II under my belt.  I was taking Orgo I that semester.  I was a biology major and this was a "real" job in that it was paid, not a part of work-study, not required for my degree, etc.  I had to interview for the position and to be frank when I got the position I thought the prof had to be verifiably stupid.  I guess I was a good bullsquater. 

It was tough, that research.   I didn't help that I worked alone, either.  I did meet with the PI once a week, but she had a Ph.D., and explained things to me as if I had a Ph.D., too.  I don't know how I got through the first semester, but I did read...a lot.  Tons of literature, reference manuals-I bought a Handbook of Chemistry and Physics that's like four inches thick.  It ended well, though.  No papers or presentations or anything from it but I learned a lot about working alone, trouble shooting, referencing things, searching literature, and so on.  

I was asked to continue working on the project for another year.  I accepted the offer only to later transfer out of that school. 

The PI was going to start bringing in students (seniors, thesis) during what was to have been my second year with the project.    

Undergrad Institution: Small state school

Major(s): Molec/Cell Bio
Minor(s): None
GPA in Major: 3.43

Upper div bio classes: 4.0
Overall GPA: 3.3

Last 60 GPA: 3.63
Position in Class: not listed

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 144 
V: 153 
W: 4.0

Research Experience: I have 2.5 years working in a molecular virology lab. 1 manuscript in prep in  which I am first author. 1 presented poster at a symposium, another abstract submitted to another conference in summer (all first author).

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Deans list 3 semesters running, NSF travel grant

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA for molec cell lab, Student instructor for Molec Cell lecture, 

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: My GRE scores are low, I wish they were higher but I put much more of my time into my research. My GPA have been on the rise for the past 2 years. My upper division bio classes have all gone very well. My letters of rec are very strong, a small school means all of the profs know you. I have what I think is a good SOP, good story and reasons for motivation.

Applying to Where: Bio Grad Programs:

ASU

UCSF (reach)

Stanford (reach)

UNC

OHSU

UCI

UCD

Drexel

UAB

UCLA (reach)

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: My GRE scores are low, I wish they were higher but I put much more of my time into my research. My GPA have been on the rise for the past 2 years. My upper division bio classes have all gone very well. My letters of rec are very strong, a small school means all of the profs know you. I have what I think is a good SOP, good story and reasons for motivation.

Applying to Where: Bio Grad Programs:

ASU

UCSF (reach)

Stanford (reach)

UNC

OHSU

UCI

UCD

Drexel

UAB

UCLA (reach)

They're not the best, Q=about 25 %, V=about 59%, A=about 56 %. The programs I'm applying to don't have the highest regard for the GRE.

Do you have time to retake the GRE? If deadlines are approaching, could you email these schools and tell them that you are going to retake the GRE? I really think the rest of your application is strong, but that it may hurt you to coast on the assumption that these schools don't care much about the GRE. If they require the GRE, they are going to look at your GRE scores. Maybe only once, but they'll look.

I feel like the schools you listed receive A LOT of applications, so numerical applicant data (GPA, GRE) may be used to easily filter the number of applications to something more reasonably reviewable for the adcoms.

If I were you, I would try to schedule a retake, and then email your schools addressing your need to retake the test. I'm sure that other applicants do this/have done this, as most (if not all) are involved in research and time is indeed a scarce resource. 

I have contacted some of the schools I have applied to and they told me to just take the test and leave it behind. I agree with everyone's idea of re-taking the test. If I did this I would have to take a class for it, I would need the extra help. I asked my PI if I should mention the GRE in my personal statement and explain the scores and he said no. I really appreciate the feedback here.

I have contacted some of the schools I have applied to and they told me to just take the test and leave it behind. I agree with everyone's idea of re-taking the test. If I did this I would have to take a class for it, I would need the extra help. I asked my PI if I should mention the GRE in my personal statement and explain the scores and he said no. I really appreciate the feedback here.

I don't think you have time to re-take the exam. Most of those apps have to be due Dec 1. Dec 15th if you are lucky. It takes at least 3 weeks for the scores to get sent (or something like that). The earliest you could take it is what, Dec 1? The Adcom may have already made interview decisions by the time the scores arrive. I think your PI is right that you shouldn't mention them. Unless you have a good reason (family death the day before etc) the adcom is just going to assume you either aren't a great test taker or you didn't study. Its not like you can write that you didn't study for the GRE in your SOP. Just make your SOP as strong as possible.

Edited by ilovelab

Just a heads up to everyone on this topic, especially people interested in neuroscience, check out Central Michigan University's neuroscience program.  It is a very strong program that gets overlooked and it also has later application deadlines. 

Just a heads up to everyone on this topic, especially people interested in neuroscience, check out Central Michigan University's neuroscience program. It is a very strong program that gets overlooked and it also has later application deadlines.

Good call! That program got the SfN "program of the year" award this year. Might have been their undergrad program -- I can't remember -- but even if it was, I bet the grad program is strong too.

at virus guy....I'm sorry to say that i think your Quant score is going to kill you.  Regardless of not holding high esteem of the GRE going into that percentile as a science applicant is rather abysmal.  I don't know how your small state school stacks up in the field, but though your GPA is fine, your GRE calls that into question.  I understand its hard to do research and apply/study for the GRE but in graduate school part of the success is in finding the ability to succeed under non-ideal conditions (first year includes, taking class, rotations (in most cases) seminars, lots of primary lit reading etc.  You have to make time for everything and figure out what you need to do to get the grades/experiments done in such a way that you can succeed.  AKA TIME MANAGEMENT.  don't offer "i was focusing on my research" as any kind of excuse.  If you can take it again and submit before scores are due, do it.  I think with most of the school's you have listed, that gre Q is going to hurt, not just your reach schools.  If there is no time than I guess submit and hope for the best.

at virus guy....I'm sorry to say that i think your Quant score is going to kill you.  Regardless of not holding high esteem of the GRE going into that percentile as a science applicant is rather abysmal.  I don't know how your small state school stacks up in the field, but though your GPA is fine, your GRE calls that into question.  I understand its hard to do research and apply/study for the GRE but in graduate school part of the success is in finding the ability to succeed under non-ideal conditions (first year includes, taking class, rotations (in most cases) seminars, lots of primary lit reading etc.  You have to make time for everything and figure out what you need to do to get the grades/experiments done in such a way that you can succeed.  AKA TIME MANAGEMENT.  don't offer "i was focusing on my research" as any kind of excuse.  If you can take it again and submit before scores are due, do it.  I think with most of the school's you have listed, that gre Q is going to hurt, not just your reach schools.  If there is no time than I guess submit and hope for the best.

I agree that as a science applicant the Q score looks very bad. I'm actually not that bad at math I just need to be in a class to learn the material better. I fully understand the need for good time management skills and I didn't mean for my research to sound like a cop out. In my opinion if the grad school is looking at how to evaluate my time management skills my letters will more clearly outline my skills. 

Hey everyone, just found this thread and want to get in on the excitement! 

Undergrad Institution: Big state school :)
Major(s): Microbiology
Minor(s): Biochemistry
GPA in Major: 4.0
Overall GPA: 4.0
Position in Class: top 10% 
Type of Student: white female

Q: 161
V: 161
W: 5.5
B: N/A

Research Experience: Working in research lab on campus for three years, first author on paper

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Multiple merit scholarships from my university, national research scholarships, honors college 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Worked as a lab TA while at school

Applying to Where:

Harvard -- BBS and SPH

Yale -- BBS

Stanford -- Biosciences

UC Berkeley -- Infectious Disease and Immunity 

UMass Medical -- BBS

Boston University -- PiBS

Johns Hopkins -- School of Medicine

UC San Francisco -- BMS

MIT -- Biology

Tufts -- Microbiology MERGE-ID

UW Madison -- Microbio

My school list keeps growing! About 2 weeks ago, I saw a general advertisement for the ecology program at the University of Tennessee on a listserv, so I took a peek and saw that one of the professors was looking for a student to work on a bird project. The lab website gave some very vague information about the type of project the professor had planned, but it seemed like something I would be suitable for and I sent an email with my research interests and experiences plus my CV and a request for more detail about the project.

She finally got back to me today and I am stoked. Turns out she has the exact same research interests as me (impacts of invasive species on birds) and the project is absolutely a perfect fit! She also seemed really excited about me. She said she was thrilled to read my email, asked to see any relevant papers I had written and a draft of my thesis if I had it available (or anything else I could send her), and concluded the message with "looking forward to continuing the conversation." I've received positive responses from other POIs, but not quite like this. As long as she continues to like what she sees, U of TN might just slide into my first choice. The project really is great. I've been wanting to pursue research in tropical ecosystems, and this will get me there! I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

My school list keeps growing! About 2 weeks ago, I saw a general advertisement for the ecology program at the University of Tennessee on a listserv, so I took a peek and saw that one of the professors was looking for a student to work on a bird project. The lab website gave some very vague information about the type of project the professor had planned, but it seemed like something I would be suitable for and I sent an email with my research interests and experiences plus my CV and a request for more detail about the project.

She finally got back to me today and I am stoked. Turns out she has the exact same research interests as me (impacts of invasive species on birds) and the project is absolutely a perfect fit! She also seemed really excited about me. She said she was thrilled to read my email, asked to see any relevant papers I had written and a draft of my thesis if I had it available (or anything else I could send her), and concluded the message with "looking forward to continuing the conversation." I've received positive responses from other POIs, but not quite like this. As long as she continues to like what she sees, U of TN might just slide into my first choice. The project really is great. I've been wanting to pursue research in tropical ecosystems, and this will get me there! I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

That's great news. Good luck.

Well, I've enjoyed reading these threads so I may as well contribute.

Undergrad Institution: Large State University

Major(s): Psychology
Minor(s): Biology & Chemistry
GPA in Major: 4.0
Overall GPA: 3.63
Position in Class: Not given

Q: 165 (90th) 
V: 167 (97th) 
W: 5.5 (98th)

Research Experience: 1.5 years in a genetics lab, senior honors work in a chromatin & molecular biology lab, a few semesters in unrelated work (ecology etc).

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Graduated with University Honors for successfully defending my senior honors thesis; it was unpublished though.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: The time in the genetics lab has been paid. Was hired fulltime by the lab as soon as I graduated so I suppose that’s a good sign.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I had no clue what I wanted to do for the longest time so the first two years of my transcript are all over the place. Last 4 semesters I had a 3.93 though and since we don’t have an undergraduate neuroscience degree I tried to build my own. One thing I’m worried about is that I only got to take one semester of physics before I needed to graduate for financial reasons and I never officially took calculus despite teaching myself some. I’m hoping my quantitative score will assuage fears surrounding my limited math coursework. LOR should be really solid.

Applying to Where: Neuroscience
UPitt
UPenn
Vanderbilt
UAB
Northwestern
Florida
MIT (Biology)
Emory

All the programs have a fantastic fit with my interests so I’ll be happy as long as a get a couple of interviews. Good luck everyone!

Edited by noguarantee777