2016 Canadian SLP Thread

On 1/22/2016 at 11:20 PM, JonasNegm said:

That's not true. A 3.7 is an A- average. And I quote...

"All applicants must have a four-year University of Toronto bachelor’s degree (or its equivalent from an approved university—20 full course equivalents, not necessarily an “honours” degree) with at least a mid-B standing in the final year (or last five full-course equivalents)."

Mid-B = B = 3.0 GPA. So the cutoff on the site actually even lower than I thought! No idea where you read the 3.7 minimum from. Not even their medical school has that high a cutoff.

You're totally right that a B (= 3.0 at UofT) is the technical minimum, but they state elsewhere on their website that successful candidates typically have an average of at least A- over their last 10 full credits. That's not to say that outstanding candidates won't get admitted with a B average, because they certainly do sometimes!  

"Because there are many applications for a small number of places, the admission process is highly competitive. Although the minimal requirement for applying to our program requires an average mid-B, successful applicants typically have an A- average or higher in their last two years of study (i.e., 10 full credits). Each application is reviewed independently by the members of the Admission and Awards Committee and is ranked relative to the other applications." http://www.slp.utoronto.ca/admissions/how-to-apply/

Edited by paidean

For all you U of A hopefuls, looks at all the fun you could be having next year... haha.

This video was made by our second year buddies in the class of 2016.
To the people who messaged me about stats, sorry I haven't gotten back to you, I'll post them in the next few days after I figure out what they were.

Good luck to all, try not to stress. :)

Hey everyone, I know that Dalhousie is really slow at updating the application summary progress, and mine only has the application fee listed (everything else is empty). I'm wondering if anyone else is in the same boat?

Or, if your summary is complete, when did you submit the application/how long did it take to update?

Thanks!

25 minutes ago, sweaterweather said:

Hey everyone, I know that Dalhousie is really slow at updating the application summary progress, and mine only has the application fee listed (everything else is empty). I'm wondering if anyone else is in the same boat?

Or, if your summary is complete, when did you submit the application/how long did it take to update?

Thanks!

I'm in the same boat as you for both of my Dal applications (I applied to Aud too). I'm not too worried, I've seen in threads for past years that they tend to take a long time.

1 hour ago, sweaterweather said:

Thanks!

1 hour ago, treaclemineroad said:

I'm in the same boat as you for both of my Dal applications (I applied to Aud too). I'm not too worried, I've seen in threads for past years that they tend to take a long time.

I just got the email this morning! I submitted my application on the last day so you should be getting your email soon! (Also, nothing was updated before the email and after the email everything was updated with the various dates they got things, and some dates were even from December) 

Edited by klfstudent

Hi guys!

I also received an email from Dal this morning (Jan 28). I submitted my online portion in like.. November, but they would have received the rest about two weeks before the deadline. They are probably emailing in alphabetical order and I'm sure you guys will hear soon :)

I got my letter from Dal confirming my SLP application is complete. Unfortunately, I was a dunce and did not notice that they want TWO transcripts per school, so they used the one transcript per school from my Audiology application to fulfill the SLP quota. Hopefully they will be chill about the other transcripts being late for Aud. Honestly I don't understand why they need two. Like, consider using a photocopier, maybe? I'm not made out of money.

Don't mind me, I'm just grumping.

1 hour ago, treaclemineroad said:

I got my letter from Dal confirming my SLP application is complete. Unfortunately, I was a dunce and did not notice that they want TWO transcripts per school, so they used the one transcript per school from my Audiology application to fulfill the SLP quota. Hopefully they will be chill about the other transcripts being late for Aud. Honestly I don't understand why they need two. Like, consider using a photocopier, maybe? I'm not made out of money.

Don't mind me, I'm just grumping.

I was frustrated about them wanting two too. I ended up having to order 4 transcripts from one of my schools since they wanted 2 before the grades came out and 2 after and they charged full price for each one. After sending transcripts from all 4 schools I attended including a US school it totalled to a lot of money! 

2 hours ago, klfstudent said:

I was frustrated about them wanting two too. I ended up having to order 4 transcripts from one of my schools since they wanted 2 before the grades came out and 2 after and they charged full price for each one. After sending transcripts from all 4 schools I attended including a US school it totalled to a lot of money! 

Yeah ubc has the same bs with 2 transcripts. I agree about that photocopier comment XD it's the 21 century This should be digitally send from registrar to the schools at no extra cost. Come on... I'm also grumping  lol 

4 hours ago, Hopeful_SLP said:

I still haven't received confirmation from Dal yet. Is anyone else still waiting too?

Before this round of admissions I used to creep around past years' gradcafe threads. I remember people as late as Feb 9th still waiting to hear from Dal -- all down to Dal being backed up, nothing wrong with their applications. You'll definitely hear from them, like I said, I got a message saying there were items missing, so even if there was something wrong, they'd get in touch.

3 hours ago, klfstudent said:

Anyone know when Dal sends out acceptances? Their website says April or May which seems way too long to wait...

According to previous years' threads, Dal starts the first round of acceptance around March 13th. Likewise, McGill notifies people starting on March 12th (and they call you -- I've made a personal note to NOT set my phone on silent that day). U of Alberta started sending out acceptances on March 3rd last year. Those are the only ones I know because those are the ones I applied to. So yeah, significantly earlier than April or May, at least if you get accepted in the first round.

10 hours ago, treaclemineroad said:

Before this round of admissions I used to creep around past years' gradcafe threads. I remember people as late as Feb 9th still waiting to hear from Dal -- all down to Dal being backed up, nothing wrong with their applications. You'll definitely hear from them, like I said, I got a message saying there were items missing, so even if there was something wrong, they'd get in touch.

According to previous years' threads, Dal starts the first round of acceptance around March 13th. Likewise, McGill notifies people starting on March 12th (and they call you -- I've made a personal note to NOT set my phone on silent that day). U of Alberta started sending out acceptances on March 3rd last year. Those are the only ones I know because those are the ones I applied to. So yeah, significantly earlier than April or May, at least if you get accepted in the first round.

Thanks! I wonder when U of Alberta will send out acceptances this year since they delayed the deadline this year. I heard a couple years ago people didn't find out until the first week of April. 

4 hours ago, klfstudent said:

Thanks! I wonder when U of Alberta will send out acceptances this year since they delayed the deadline this year. I heard a couple years ago people didn't find out until the first week of April. 

Can confirm this! I applied two years ago, and received a letter saying I was waitlisted on March 31st. Classmates received their acceptances at the same time. Dal's decision came a few days later in the first week of April (I think around the 4th). Come to think of it, all of the decisions (well, rejections and wait lists anyway :rolleyes:) came within 4-5 days that year around the beginning of April. 

Maybe the extended deadline has something to do with their new application system (which I think is so awesome). Everything was mailed/couriered to the Department previously, which I would imagine involved at least a little more work on the administrative side of things before the applications could be reviewed? Or maybe they will just be a little later this year. It's all a big mystery from the outside. :) 

7 hours ago, klfstudent said:

3 hours ago, paidean said:

Can confirm this! I applied two years ago, and received a letter saying I was waitlisted on March 31st. Classmates received their acceptances at the same time. Dal's decision came a few days later in the first week of April (I think around the 4th). Come to think of it, all of the decisions (well, rejections and wait lists anyway :rolleyes:) came within 4-5 days that year around the beginning of April. 

Maybe the extended deadline has something to do with their new application system (which I think is so awesome). Everything was mailed/couriered to the Department previously, which I would imagine involved at least a little more work on the administrative side of things before the applications could be reviewed? Or maybe they will just be a little later this year. It's all a big mystery from the outside. :) 

I got my acceptance letter (email) from the U of A at the beginning of March last year. I was surprised how early I heard back considering how long applicants had waited to hear back the year before. It's hard to predict now that the application deadline is so much later this year. 

20 hours ago, kelseymg said:

I got my acceptance letter (email) from the U of A at the beginning of March last year. I was surprised how early I heard back considering how long applicants had waited to hear back the year before. It's hard to predict now that the application deadline is so much later this year. 

I didn't realize the application deadline was delayed this year. I hope that doesn't mean the acceptance rounds are too much later. I want to have a fair amount of time to arrange housing. When were the deadlines last year?

11 hours ago, OverCaffeinated said:

Orpas just released the updated sub gpa. Anyone else not impressed ? :/ 

I was so scared for this. Thankfully my subGPA calculation was actually a bit higher than I thought it would be.. I'm in Alberta and ORPAS counts  our "As" as 3.9, which I don't get because most As are over 90%!!! 

Anyway, sorry to hear you aren't impressed :( That's shit. 

On 2/4/2016 at 1:15 PM, treaclemineroad said:

I didn't realize the application deadline was delayed this year. I hope that doesn't mean the acceptance rounds are too much later. I want to have a fair amount of time to arrange housing. When were the deadlines last year?

Hey!

So deadlines were Jan 15 for UAlberta last year. I was also a bit worried that the new deadlines this year mean later acceptances - but it would make sense that they found it so much faster last year with the new online application system that maybe they just decided to give us a bit more time with our apps. That's my hope anyway!! I'll go crazy waiting for April! hehe. 

26 minutes ago, lindzzz said:

I was so scared for this. Thankfully my subGPA calculation was actually a bit higher than I thought it would be.. I'm in Alberta and ORPAS counts  our "As" as 3.9, which I don't get because most As are over 90%!!! 

Anyway, sorry to hear you aren't impressed :( That's shit. 

Ah I see. For me it's opposite. All of my 85-89 which I had quite a few off were supposed to be 4.0 as per uoft. But stupid orpas counts them as 3.9... So it lowered it. Was pretty angry yesterday

My subGPA was what I thought it'd be..but for those wondering summer courses you take are not taken on their own.. if they have to be included they will take your previous fall and winter term with your summer term. Just in case anyone needs to know this for future reference!

4 hours ago, lindzzz said:

Hey!

So deadlines were Jan 15 for UAlberta last year. I was also a bit worried that the new deadlines this year mean later acceptances - but it would make sense that they found it so much faster last year with the new online application system that maybe they just decided to give us a bit more time with our apps. That's my hope anyway!! I'll go crazy waiting for April! hehe. 

Oh, OK, you just meant for U of A. Well that's fine, at least for me personally. For your sake, though, I'll cross my fingers that they get it all done quickly.

5 hours ago, OverCaffeinated said:

Ah I see. For me it's opposite. All of my 85-89 which I had quite a few off were supposed to be 4.0 as per uoft. But stupid orpas counts them as 3.9... So it lowered it. Was pretty angry yesterday

Yeah, unfortunately the lack of standardization in grading across the country (and even within the same university sometimes), makes a standardized GPA assessment system such as ORPAS really hard to make fair for everyone. I remember feeling angry at the system the first time I applied, but I guess I've come to accept that it's just the way it is.

In my programme, the grading scheme was A- = 90, A = 94, A+ = 97, all of which would earn an A+ at many universities. Unfortunately my transcript shows converted letter grades and not percentages, so I just have to suck it up and take all of those 3.7s and 3.9s that other students would receive 4.0s for! Fortunately, I took a few levelling courses at another university that uses the typical Ontario scheme where A+ = 90, so that helps a little at least. :)