Fall 2016 Acceptances, Interviews, and Rejections Thread

gingin6789

Has everyone heard from Duke? I have yet to get any notification from Duke and my status at applyyourself still shows up as "submitted". I wonder if there are other applicants who are in a similar situation....

On February 11, 2016 at 9:47 AM, mm3733 said:

Congratulations, @blanciblau!

Has anyone gotten a rejection from Penn yet? I'm assuming one at this point, but would love (in that not-actually-love way) actual confirmation, but the portal still has no decision letter.

Thank you!

My acceptance letter states, "If you do decide before [4/15] that you will not be joining us at Penn, we would appreciate it if you could please inform us as soon as possible. We have a few admits who are on a waiting list for funding allocations, and we cannot complete their offers until we have clarity on our overall enrollment numbers." It sounds like the committee has a list of students that they are hoping to admit, but that they don't have funding for. It's very possible that they are withholding those notifications until a later date, when they have a better idea of who from the "first wave" will be committing.

I will most likely be declining Penn, as I've also been accepted to a better fit program and offered extremely generous funding. I am going to be withholding my final decision until after visit days, but I will let them know as soon as possible should I commit elsewhere!

11 minutes ago, nowayjose said:

Ah, there's a second and a third NYU admit. I am now 0/5 with Princeton remaining. Does not look bueno.

I applied to NYU, too. <sigh> I'm 0/4 with Boston University remaining. 

1 minute ago, nowayjose said:

I would just like to get flat our rejections at this point. Need to re-evaluate and don't feel like waiting until late March

Yes, absolutely, I feel the same way. It really would be kind for all these programs to send out rejections on the same day and just waitlist a few applicants if they want to gauge their numbers better. There doesn't seem to be much of a rationale behind torturing us for so long (I'm looking at you, Harvard).

48 minutes ago, SocPhDreamer said:

Has anyone heard back from Northwestern?

I've been invited to flyout interview for NW-Kellogg joint PHD MORS+Soc.. unsure if that decision timeline corresponds to the Soc program by itself

23 minutes ago, pi515 said:

Yes, absolutely, I feel the same way. It really would be kind for all these programs to send out rejections on the same day and just waitlist a few applicants if they want to gauge their numbers better. There doesn't seem to be much of a rationale behind torturing us for so long (I'm looking at you, Harvard).

Harvard does their rejections by snail mail, so it takes longer. 

1 hour ago, pi515 said:

i would like a prompt rejection from the programs that i applied to at this point, yes.

1 hour ago, any5 said:
1 hour ago, SocPhDreamer said:

I've been invited to flyout interview for NW-Kellogg joint PHD MORS+Soc.. unsure if that decision timeline corresponds to the Soc program by itself

1 hour ago, SocPhDreamer said:

I emailed my POI, who has intimate knowledge of the Northwestern doc committee decisions. He emailed me back on Monday, Feb 8th (3 days ago) and said, among other things: "We cannot report admission outcomes for another week or two." I was rejected last year and reapplied this year after building more relationships within the dept and accumulating more research experience. Last year, the rejections went out on Thursday, February 19th at 6 am. I just looked up the email to confirm the date and time. So my guess is late next week the decisions will be handed down. I can't say for sure, but I think Northwestern's sociology dept is a little more tight lipped than some other programs. I got a call from the University of Chicago offering me admission into its social work PhD program a week ago and it's not scheduled to release the rest of the decisions until next week. So not hearing anything from northwestern is not necessarily bad news as it might be with some programs. Good luck to everyone.

2 minutes ago, kelris said:

I'm also waiting on Northwestern. Loyola and Vandy, too........

Waiting for Vandy with you, too! Heard a couple notices went out on Tuesday for their visitation weekend ... I hope to hear some news soon, too!

Only other program I'm waiting on besides Vanderbilt is Brandeis. Saw an acceptance for Brandeis on the board for Tuesday, too. 

Hi everyone! I am a long time lurker. Just wanted to say thanks to all contributors. Knowing that there are people out there going through the same process helped me feel less isolated in the past few weeks.

In the last 4-5 hours I have gone through the entire five stages of grief after seeing that NYU admissions went out. It was my last chance to get into Top-20, after four rejections last week. I thought I was a good fit, and made sure the adcom could realize that I was a good fit, plus established a contact with a POI, who was really really encouraging. It didn't happen but I am lucky that I already have an offer with decent funding from a Top-25-ish department. 

For those who are empty-handed, I am almost certain you will do much better next cycle (unless you decide to do something else with your life) thanks to this year's experience. This forum has helped me a lot figure out how I could have improved my applications, I am sure you all feel the same. I know if I was to have another shot at this I would do much much better. 

And congratulations to all those who are accepted. Especially those of you who got multiple Top-10 offers in addition to multiple Top-20's. Impressive. 

2 minutes ago, notthatgood said:

Hi everyone! I am a long time lurker. Just wanted to say thanks to all contributors. Knowing that there are people out there going through the same process helped me feel less isolated in the past few weeks.

In the last 4-5 hours I have gone through the entire five stages of grief after seeing that NYU admissions went out. It was my last chance to get into Top-20, after four rejections last week. I thought I was a good fit, and made sure the adcom could realize that I was a good fit, plus established a contact with a POI, who was really really encouraging. It didn't happen but I am lucky that I already have an offer with decent funding from a Top-25-ish department. 

For those who are empty-handed, I am almost certain you will do much better next cycle (unless you decide to do something else with your life) thanks to this year's experience. This forum has helped me a lot figure out how I could have improved my applications, I am sure you all feel the same. I know if I was to have another shot at this I would do much much better. 

And congratulations to all those who are accepted. Especially those of you who got multiple Top-10 offers in addition to multiple Top-20's. Impressive. 

Same here. I have two graduate degrees from NYU already, so this hurt hard. I am realizing my applications just weren't up to snuff. I relied on stuff that worked for law school (GRE+grades) and didn't develop stuff that mattered (good LOR's and contacting POIs). I might just be a lawyer instead of doing this all over again, but we'll see.

4 minutes ago, nowayjose said:

Same here. I have two graduate degrees from NYU already, so this hurt hard. I am realizing my applications just weren't up to snuff. I relied on stuff that worked for law school (GRE+grades) and didn't develop stuff that mattered (good LOR's and contacting POIs). I might just be a lawyer instead of doing this all over again, but we'll see.

You are still waiting to hear from Princeton, right? You don't know what will happen. You could have applied more widely of course, but I am sure you had good reasons not to do so. At least you have some marketable skills you can use outside academia. As a mid-20s qual-oriented soc grad, I don't have much. I just needed to get in one way or another. 

7 minutes ago, notthatgood said:

You are still waiting to hear from Princeton, right? You don't know what will happen. You could have applied more widely of course, but I am sure you had good reasons not to do so. At least you have some marketable skills you can use outside academia. As a mid-20s qual-oriented soc grad, I don't have much. I just needed to get in one way or another. 

Yeah, I just have a nice girlfriend and life in the metro area and didn't want to disrupt everything dramatically unless a top program nearby came along. And I hear you, I'm glad you got that admission already.