Fall 2016 Acceptances, Interviews, and Rejections Thread

gingin6789

2 minutes ago, duBoisLives said:

Congratulation on Yale acceptance, thats an accomplishment. Also Congratulations to all the other acceptances. I've been following this thread for a while I just recently created an account to post. Currently finishing up BA in sociology at one of the top 5 departments. I applied to 6 programs with a focus on historical comparative sociology and studying race and empire. 

So far only a rejection from the University of Michigan. I'm hoping for the best but I am open to waiting another year or so to continue on this route.

George Steinmetz is probably too busy writing and uploading pieces to Academia.edu to be an attentive supervisor (jk!). Good luck with the other apps!

6 minutes ago, nowayjose said:

wow, thanks. why do you think you had to interview while others didn't btw?

I don't know really. I started a dialogue with a group of professors there back in November and they invited me for an in-person visit. I was there on the 28th and 29th of January. 

8 minutes ago, qeta said:

George Steinmetz is probably too busy writing and uploading pieces to Academia.edu to be an attentive supervisor (jk!). Good luck with the other apps!

Haha actually. I've met with him, he's a good guy, but I'm sure has a good amount of students already. Thanks 

37 minutes ago, MaxWeberHasAPosse said:

Will claim the Yale acceptance!

Wow. I didn't know Yale did that kind of interviewing... Damn, I thought I sortof had a shot at this point. Damn Damn Damn.

Oh and... Congratulations of course! XD

Edited by HopefulSocPhD

21 minutes ago, MaxWeberHasAPosse said:

I don't know really. I started a dialogue with a group of professors there back in November and they invited me for an in-person visit. I was there on the 28th and 29th of January. 

Am I the only one who didn't contact the professors at schools ahead of time? I suppose that would explain flat-out rejections from everywhere I applied if this is expected of applicants and I didn't do it...

1 minute ago, HopefulSocPhD said:

Am I the only one who didn't contact the professors at schools ahead of time? I suppose that would explain flat-out rejections from everywhere I applied if this is expected of applicants and I didn't do it...

I don't think this is a hard and fast rule. It worked for me; I contacted professors at UCLA and got in, and with Yale.. I also only applied to three programs (and I'm currently a PhD student in another well regarded department). Don't kick yourself too hard. Try again.

1 minute ago, HopefulSocPhD said:

i did not contact anyone and was (wisely, i think) advised not to. i wouldnt want any additional chances to make a bad impression (which, i felt, was more likely than the contrary) -- i think i feel this way bc i have no background in soc so feel less confident about any interaction with faculty

@HopefulSocPhD i got rejected from one of the top schools and i was specifically betting on working w. one particular professor. i messaged them, post rejection, and basically they were were like.... you should've e-mailed me. my friend is at harvard in a different dept. and apparently they don't even read the apps, they just go by e-mails/contacts/connections/referrals. (i.e. reproduction reproduction reproduction). 

If you don't get anywhere, don't worry. use this as an opportunity to strengthen yr app for next year, but more importantly to start a conversation with those advisors you'd like to work with (assuming yr interests don't dramatically shift or change). 

1 minute ago, s0ciology1992 said:

@HopefulSocPhD i got rejected from one of the top schools and i was specifically betting on working w. one particular professor. i messaged them, post rejection, and basically they were were like.... you should've e-mailed me. my friend is at harvard in a different dept. and apparently they don't even read the apps, they just go by e-mails/contacts/connections/referrals. (i.e. reproduction reproduction reproduction). 

If you don't get anywhere, don't worry. use this as an opportunity to strengthen yr app for next year, but more importantly to start a conversation with those advisors you'd like to work with (assuming yr interests don't dramatically shift or change). 

kind of a similar situation with Yale. They just get too many apps.

11 minutes ago, HopefulSocPhD said:

This has come up on some other parts of the forum (the applications one I think...) and it really seemed 50/50.

Quite a few people have not reached out and they are doing fine, getting into programs!  I wouldn't count yourself out .. 

I did contact professors in each of my 4 programs, but only if it seemed like there was a really good overlap on research areas.  I'm glad I did, as I think it's helped (I heard from my POI when I got in, and I've been kept up to date on my application by my POI at the other schools, even without asking for it).  I was told by friends who are in PhD programs that it can be really helpful if you do it well (contact early in the semester, make it a very targeted choice, and then don't hound, and of course bring up the fact that you've been in touch in your statement).

Also, I have a friend who applied to 5 programs last year.  Did not contact anyone, did not get in.  This year he reached out to all his programs personally getting in touch with professors, and got into 4/5.  He says it helps.  I would say keep your hope up for this year, but if it doesn't work try doing more personal contact next year.  But again, there are LOTS of people who are getting in without contact (take a peek at other forums on here...)  

Good luck! 

Edited by ts1493

Just to put my experience out there: I didn't contact anyone at any institution I applied to. I actually never thought of it till I read that people on Gradcafe were doing it. Of course, I saw that after I submitted the apps :P

If I were to do this all again, I might do it. But probably the same as @MAnthroAA in that I'd only do it if I had something specific to say rather than just for the sake of reaching out.

Edited by Katastrophe
clarity

7 minutes ago, MAnthroAA said:

Try not to take it too hard, Hopeful! And it ain't over til it's over! 

This is your first time applying, right? I have a MSc from an Ivy and was talking to one of my former advisors the other day; she was laughing about how "hardcore" all the applicants to the social sciences programs are these days. Keep in mind that you're likely competing with candidates who have had more years of experience and opportunities (this is an assumption, I realize, but I'm guessing that you must be relatively young coming straight from undergrad). Good for you for putting yourself out there! If nothing pans out this year it's their loss, and you'll be that much better prepared for round two! ;-)

I was personally given neutral advice about contacting POIs. I only reached out to one, because my interests aligned exceptionally well with his. If your email (or what-have-you) doesn't seem genuine, I imagine it's better left alone. 

I can't tell if this was directed at me, but no, I'm not straight from undergrad. I finished my undergrad later than most and have been working as a high school teacher of science and special education for the last two years in underpriviledged schools. So no, I'm not young. Over 30.

@HopefulSocPhD I was in the same boat, went back for an MA at a so-so school, did very well, made great relationships with faculty, did my own research and it paid off - this year I've had offers from top20 programs. I'll be >40 when I am awarded my PhD, so def try again next year and apply to some MA programs also in Soc or related fields (other social sciences especially).

At least you have a job that is making a positive impact on others. Many of us will struggle to find the jobs we want even from top20 programs!

Edited by any5

@HopefulSocPhD, I'm sorry.  I just saw your signature now that says you were rejected from all programs.  I didn't notice that when I responded earlier.  I'm sorry because I'm sure that must have been a really hard blow.  I would say that if you think the personal contact thing was missing and you are excited about the work of a particular professor, start the contact in the near future for next year.  I think my friend who was rejected by the programs and then got in to nearly all of them this year reached out after being rejected and tried to learn what was missing from his app.  He said it was really humbling, but he got some honest answers and it was helpful for this app cycle.  I wouldn't do it right now, but in a couple months it might be helpful. 

Are you sure you're definitely out from all programs?  Good luck to you ...

32 minutes ago, HopefulSocPhD said:

I actively avoided trying to contact professors ahead of time. I felt really weird about it. I really think it depends on the type of school you are applying to. Honestly, this entire process makes no sense. During my Emory interview weekend I couldn't figure out how to distinguish any of the applicants from one another. it's really just a lot of luck and whatever "fit" means. 

Didn't contact ANY profs before applying, nor was I encouraged to. If it's an unwritten rule, it's one I missed to, @HopefulSocPhD. And you honestly make me so happy on these forums with your spirit and your adorable profile pic, and no matter whether you're happy, sad, frustrated, I'm here for you. You're a great friend to me, hope.