Fall 2016 Acceptances, Interviews, and Rejections Thread

gingin6789

21 minutes ago, KLPLANTER said:

WOW exile "douche" from your vocabulary before you start in your program. Super offensive

@KLPLANTER with all respect, not exactly the way to start a dialogue. But maybe you just wanted to express that you take extreme offense at the term. My impression is it's not really considered offensive with consensus, and as a woman, I find actual, real-life douching and what it represents a lot more offensive than the slang. Like I said, would've been happy to have a dialogue, but do you.  At any rate, happy for the opportunity to think about the word.

Just now, KLPLANTER said:
1 minute ago, KLPLANTER said:

I don't speak on behalf of all women, but I will always speak up in these types of situations. Dude uses slur, I'm saying something.

I don't speak on behalf of all women, but I will always speak up in these types of situations. Dude uses slur, I'm saying something.

lolol um, assumption much? Not a dude.

11 minutes ago, mm3733 said:

@KLPLANTER with all respect, not exactly the way to start a dialogue. But maybe you just wanted to express that you take extreme offense at the term. My impression is it's not really considered offensive with consensus, and as a woman, I find actual, real-life douching and what it represents a lot more offensive than the slang. Like I said, would've been happy to have a dialogue, but do you.  At any rate, happy for the opportunity to think about the word.

sorry to mis-sex/gender you. it can be offensive.

not interested in starting dialogue. My intention was to police you, which I did, and I would do it again.

I think my question got a little lost, since I asked it right before this last issue came up.  Sorry to post again ...

For those of you attending recruitment/admitted student open houses, is your program paying your transportation expenses?  Is it reasonable to ask for a partial reimbursement (like up to $300) if I fly in from out of the country?  I'm not an international student, but I am living/working abroad right now.  thanks! 

Just now, ts1493 said:

I think my question got a little lost, since I asked it right before this last issue came up.  Sorry to post again ...

For those of you attending recruitment/admitted student open houses, is your program paying your transportation expenses?  Is it reasonable to ask for a partial reimbursement (like up to $300) if I fly in from out of the country?  I'm not an international student, but I am living/working abroad right now.  thanks! 

Ya that was some unneeded noise on this board.

Both of the programs I have been accepted to so far are paying travel expenses (one up to $600 and one up to $300). I am not sure about the flight being international, but I imagine they would still cover up to their maximum. Both of my acceptances provided that info up front, but if they don't then it wouldn't hurt just to ask!

3 minutes ago, ts1493 said:

It is definitely reasonable to ask. Flying in from abroad for visitation is intense. More power to you. The biggest factor in your decision should be whether or not faculty are willing/able to support your research. You can determine that via email. 

Thanks - they didn't mention it but I think it's just because I said I wouldn't be able to attend.  I found some flights for around $550, so I feel like it might be reasonable to ask for a partial reimbursement.  Thinking it through, I might wait to see if I hear back from another program, though and then take the opportunity to visit two programs at once.  If I only get into one program I feel pretty set on going to that program anyway.

1 hour ago, ts1493 said:

Both of the programs I have been accepted to is giving me enough money to cover my international flight and domestic flights as well. Or at least they've stated they intend to. So just try to negotiate with them. Good luck!

2 hours ago, ts1493 said:

Hey there, congrats!  Did the program offer to pay your travel expenses?  I ask because one of the programs I applied to is having an Open House on March 1-3 for admitted students.  I'm working abroad, so I didn't ask about this and they didn't fill me in on whether they reimburse because I said I couldn't attend.  But I was thinking the other day of trying to go, and wondering if I should ask the program whether they'd consider covering what they would cover for a national student (maybe $300?) and I could cover the rest of the plane ticket ... I don't think I'm going to make it as it's coming up really quickly, but I'm wondering about trying this if I happen to get into another one of the programs I applied to.  That way I could fly up and visit for an Open House, and visit the other program, too.  Does that sound like a reasonable thing to ask?  

Things just got really out of control for the few hours I was gone...

I don't know about Vanderbilt and if they are paying for the travel expenses. I assume so. I only say this because Emory flew me out and gave me a reimbursement form for flight while covering the cost of hotel, food, and drink. They even offer to cover transportation to and from the airport from your departing city. Private institutions seem to have far more money on hand to fly people in for recruitment weekends. I haven't heard any information from UC Davis regarding their cover of travel costs, but I'm in Los Angles and doubt I'll need much from them to attend their prospective students day. 

I guess your mileage may vary depending on the school and how much fiscal stability they have. Hope that answers in a non-douchey way. 

Just now, MaxWeberHasAPosse said:

I think only a selection. I had to do a lot more than send in an app to get in.

Do you think that's normal, or are you saying that's more about your specific application? Like, if we haven't heard anything, it's probably over?

Congrats again, damn that's impressive

I think they will be notifying tomorrow. All that I know is that the decisions have been made. 

1 minute ago, nowayjose said:

Do you think that's normal, or are you saying that's more about your specific application? Like, if we haven't heard anything, it's probably over?

Congrats again, damn that's impressive

6 minutes ago, MaxWeberHasAPosse said:

Will claim the Yale acceptance!

Congratulation on Yale acceptance, thats an accomplishment. Also Congratulations to all the other acceptances. I've been following this thread for a while I just recently created an account to post. Currently finishing up BA in sociology at one of the top 5 departments. I applied to 6 programs with a focus on historical comparative sociology and studying race and empire. 

So far only a rejection from the University of Michigan. I'm hoping for the best but I am open to waiting another year or so to continue on this route. 

Best of luck to everyone, this thread certainly has been nice to monitor, hopefully I can contribute some more to it.