Fall 2016 Acceptances, Interviews, and Rejections Thread

gingin6789

PS! HopefulSocPhD, it's totally acceptable to feel frustrated, bitter, mad, upset, every emotion. So if people in real life don't understand why you're upset or try to get you to think positively so soon after you've been hurt or say "snap out of it", just forget them and work through what you're working with now. Feel it out. Everyone here would agree with me on this one, I think. 

3 minutes ago, nowayjose said:

Columbia really just sent out acceptances? Crap. Can anyone here claim, and/or say if status on site changed?

No news here... those two new posts are making me nervous.. I'm still showing "Submitted" as my status.

1 minute ago, nowayjose said:

same. womp womp

what does "St1" mean on the results page?

Status1 Key: A: American; U: International, with US degree; I: International, without US degree; O: Other; ?: Unknown. 

20 minutes ago, nowayjose said:

Columbia really just sent out acceptances? Crap. Can anyone here claim, and/or say if status on site changed?

I feel you -- I'd much prefer to be rejected than be left in limbo!

1 minute ago, MAnthroAA said:

I didn't get my BS until I was 25, after five years of community college and earning my GED. 

Sorry, just had to interject and say: Awesome! We basically have the same back story in this respect. :-) sorry it's off topic, it's just nice to find someone else with a similar non-traditional background! (although I know most of us here are non-traditional in some sense...just cool to see someone else with a GED!) 

11 minutes ago, MAnthroAA said:

I'm totally going to sound like a creepy stalker now, but I actually knew that about you! You seem like such a sweetheart... I've kind of been following your posts. They always make me smile. :wub:

But YES! I love hearing of other people with similar stories. And I love telling my story now, which is so nice after so many years of avoiding the topic of school because of my (unjustified) embarrassment. For a lot of people, a little encouragement goes a long way! :)

Aw shucks!! You are too sweet! I'm so glad my posts can do that for you! That makes  me so happy! 

I know exactly what you mean. Finding folks who have gone down a similar educational path is awesome. And it takes a while to be comfortable with our own story but for me, now I get to teach and show my students and colleagues about the invisible diversity within their own campus! Which I think is pretty cool :-)

Thanks for your reply!! <3 

I would say try to meet one or two faculty members in your interested programs are especially helpful. I did this during professional meetings (ASA, PAA, ASC). If it not possible, email should also work (though not as effective). This is especially true if your application is not strong all-roundedly (like I do). I am sure this is very helpful, even though many departments said faculty does not pick their own students. Even this is the truth, your POI can still put in a lot of weight in your application. This year, I have frequent email exchanges with at least one professor to each of my six accepted programs so far, except UW (which by accident because my email system was broken). 

I understand people take this in different stances. Definitely it is up to you to make this network happen or not. My idea is, if you are * really * interested in working with someone, why not?

It is not necessary, again. Without any networking I still got into UW, which is very competitive this year, but I still believe networking is very very helpful.  

For me, I will definitely not work with a professor who does not even bother to reply my email, especially when it is a concise and a professional one.  Remember you and your future adviser are more like a colleague (she or he has more seniority) rather than undergradu-ish teacher-student relationship. Mutual respect is important. Oops sorry i got a bit off the tangent.

Edited by goofylemon

Oh and my 2 cents on contacting POI: im international so what i can do is email. So far i have heard from 2 schs (washington/wisconsin),  got into both (tho im sure im about to get some rejects) , and i did skyped with my POI at wisconsin. For intl students w/o US credentials it is especially important as it adds some nuance to ur otherwise pretty meaningless grades that do not directly convert to US grades. And it was a great opportunity for me to tell my POI sth i think he wud appreciate - that i was a publishing writer n sorta like a public intellectual myself. He also read my SOP and thot my research agenda "would be very comfortable at wisconsin".  It all happened after i submitted my apps, but i think it definitely helped quite a bit.  

I want to add something about contacting professors. It worked for me but I emailed them very specific and targeted emails. It was not "I want to be your student." What I did was read a good amount of their work and then emailed them explaining how my research project would address questions and problems they posed. 

Also in my SOP I didn't talk about my background whatsoever or anything personal.  It was basically a research proposal.

Hi, everyone

I had an interview with the sociology department of Northeastern University in the  last Thursday.

There is anyone who get the admission e-mail from the Northeastern University after the interview?

The professor who had conversation with me said that the decision will be made in this week (unless I'm mistaken..).

I want to know that the decision is already made or not.....

Hi guys,. So I feel really stupid because it seems that I accidentally posted my previous questions to the acceptance/admittance board over in the History section of gradcafe (shhhh, I don't think they noticed, but they were very helpful haha).

In any case, I just heard back about funding from UC Davis today, so for those of you who were offered admission, you should hear back soon.

Also, this is probably not a surprise to anyone but I just heard back from the grad coordinator from UCI, and he told me that all first-round acceptances have been sent out in anticipation for their recruitment weekend early in March.  They'll send out more admits depending on how many responses they get back afterwards, but of course they may end up hitting their quota and start sending out rejections en masse.  So at this point, I honestly wouldn't hold my breath for any more Irvine admits, but until they officially say no, I'm not going to count it out :).

Thank you for all your tips and advice, everyone. I've applied to five programs this year but it already looks like I've been rejected by three of them so I'm mentally preparing for the possibility that I might not get in anywhere. Those of you who have mentioned contacting departments you receive rejections from to ask about the basis for that decision, who in the department would you contact? The department chair, the department administrative assistant? Any advice would be greatly appreciated it. 

And hang in there @HopefulSocPhD I can very much relate. I'm also a teacher and an older applicant. In fact, at 40, I'm more of an outlier. Although I have some research experience from undergrad and grad studies, none of it is directly related to the type of research I'd like to pursue in a sociology phd program (my recommenders were anthropology and poli sci professors). I'm also transgender and my proposed project relates to the emergence of the transgender rights movement so my research agenda isn't a "great fit" with too many departments out there. In other words, I'm not an easy sell. But even though this application round has been soul-crushing thus far, I'm not giving up. As per the helpful advice of many of you, I'll look for research positions for the coming year, revise my writing sample, start contacting professors whose work interests me, and maybe even try to publish a paper or two (though first I have to write something of publishable quality!) :)

Hugs to all my fellow applicants who have seen nothing but rejections thus far. We'll be ok! 

6 hours ago, Alice_JH said:

Hi, everyone

I had an interview with the sociology department of Northeastern University in the  last Thursday.

There is anyone who get the admission e-mail from the Northeastern University after the interview?

The professor who had conversation with me said that the decision will be made in this week (unless I'm mistaken..).

Hi Alice, I also had an interview last week on Tuesday. I was told the same as you. I have also not heard anything. To be honest I think we should hear back anytime between now and Friday. So hang in there! :)

Edited by ConsciousKid

10 hours ago, HopefulSocPhD said:

Sounds a lot like an unwritten rule from what I'm reading from you all. That's very frustrating to know at this late stage in the game.

Alright, I'm throwing in the towel. Best of luck to everyone.

I'm with you. I didn't have any idea. Didn't know what the acronym POI was about. I went to a U.S. undergrad, but abroad for a MSSc and the system is entirely different. If you give it a go next time around, best of luck. I might be in the same boat.

Edited by Sociological_Spud
spelling

Hey @ConsciousKid and @Alice_JH, I didn't have an interview at Northeastern so I've been feeling like I'm probably a longshot.  But then last week I got a personal email from one of the professors I spoke with (not my POI) last week telling me that my application was currently being reviewed in committee and that they hoped to be in touch soon, and to please let him know if I had any questions come up.  Maybe it's because I had phone calls with three different professors before I applied about my interests, background, etc?  I don't know but still keeping my fingers crossed.  I got into Boston College but I also really like the Northeastern program and would love to get in there.  Good luck to you both and to all who are applying to Northeastern! 

@ts1493 I would say that the fact you had already spoke with a professor may have passed you through the phone interview part. From what I understood it was just a phone call to get more information about us. Northeastern was one of the only schools where I wasn't able to speak to anyone before hand. I did have a brief email exchange with the chair, but a phone call allowed them to get a better sense of my background and experience.

I am transferring from a PhD program into another, so that was another reason they wanted to talk briefly. 

Given your stats and the fact you were already admitted into BC – I would say you will most likely hear good news.

Best of Luck!

7 hours ago, Alice_JH said:

Hi, everyone

I talked to Northeastern yesterday. They haven't made any offers and are still reviewing applications. I was told we'd start seeing responses with the next 2-3 weeks.