Fall 2016 Acceptances, Interviews, and Rejections Thread

gingin6789

Congratulations @Port Lake! And thank you for the info. When you say that some programs like Stanford advised against contacting individual professors, did you learn that through your informal contacts or were you able to find that information somewhere on their website or application materials? Congrats again!

Another quick question: has anyone successfully gotten into a phd sociology program without having any LORs from sociology professors? (my recommenders were anthro and poli sci professors so I'm wondering if that has contributed to the deafening silence on the application front)

2 minutes ago, pi515 said:

Congratulations @Port Lake! And thank you for the info. When you say that some programs like Stanford advised against contacting individual professors, did you learn that through your informal contacts or were you able to find that information somewhere on their website or application materials? Congrats again!

Another quick question: has anyone successfully gotten into a phd sociology program without having any LORs from sociology professors? (my recommenders were anthro and poli sci professors so I'm wondering if that has contributed to the deafening silence on the application front)

All my LORs were from economics dept.

@pi515 I had one recommendation from a sociology professor, my other two were from spanish/latin american studies professors.  I've gotten into two programs so far, have an interview at another, and am waitlisted for funding at another.  Some schools simply haven't notified yet so unfortunately it's just a waiting game until March.

5 minutes ago, pi515 said:

Thank you!

I found that info on their website, actually. My LOR writers also said that some universities strongly dislike it while others expect you to do it. So, it really depends (and the difficulty in finding out about which university falls into which camp just adds to the opaqueness of the whole process...)

6 minutes ago, pi515 said:

None of my reccs were sociology professors. Two work at schools of public health; one is a trained social psychologist, the other has a ScD. This year, I also decided to use my boss, a VP at my research firm (I think her Ph.D. is in psych). I hesitated to use a non-academic, but I was advised to in my case by a few folks.

9 minutes ago, pi515 said:

Yes, definitely.  I had a poli sci professor and two employers.  

1 hour ago, michaelalexiss said:

Also waiting on CUNY ):

Applied to 7, 5 acceptances so far. Waiting on CUNY and NYU. Has anyone claimed any of CUNY's yet?

Looks like we've got a couple schools (and an interest in crime soc) in common. Hopefully we hear from NYU soon, though I'm not optimistic it will be too soon.

Best of luck to you!

2 hours ago, nowayjose said:

Am getting pretty desperate for just about any form of contact from the departments. This is such an odd and opaque process.

Same. So far all I've gotten is a rejection from Wisconsin and an interview with the Northeastern criminology department. It sucks cause every school I've applied to except for one has started accepting people, and a few are on their second wave already. Would just like to get all the rejections over with, already convinced they're coming.

5 minutes ago, fall2016applicant said:

Same. So far all I've gotten is a rejection from Wisconsin and an interview with the Northeastern criminology department. It sucks cause every school I've applied to except for one has started accepting people, and a few are on their second wave already. Would just like to get all the rejections over with, already convinced they're coming.

omg actual kill me please just let me into columbia or nyu.

1 minute ago, oedipus said:

omg actual kill me please just let me into columbia or nyu.

have not heard back from a single school. will regret this when it happens, but at least a rejection would feel tangible and not like my apps only exist in theory and have been looked at by nobody.

54 minutes ago, Katastrophe said:

Looks like we've got a couple schools (and an interest in crime soc) in common. Hopefully we hear from NYU soon, though I'm not optimistic it will be too soon.

Best of luck to you!

Awesome! Same to you! Maybe we'll cross paths at a recruitment visit. Yeah I'm not feeling too optimistic especially if a CUNY rejection comes in. Oh well! NYU seems to take their time

29 minutes ago, kelris said:

People who have gotten into several schools, what do you think set your applications apart? So many people are lucky to get into just one school. Why do you think some applications are accepted to many programs?

I have a friend who applied to sociology phd programs a few years ago. She got in everywhere she applied (all Top 15 schools).

She had a Fulbright research fellowship straight out of undergrad.

Also--students who win the NSF GRFP