Columbia - Fall 2016

Opt4theBest

Received an email from Columbia earlier today regarding financial aid, but also pointed out when admissions decisions will be released for Fall 2016:

The Office of Admissions expects to release Fall 2016 admissions decisions in mid-to late-February. In order to be considered for financial aid from the School, admitted students must complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  We recommend that you submit the FAFSA prior to receiving your decision letter so that, if you are admitted, your financial aid award letter can be promptly processed and sent to you.

So just a few more weeks!

Edited by morningjunky

Hi everyone! I just called the admissions office and was told that acceptances will be sent out next week. It's a bit annoying because I submitted my applications to both Columbia and University of Chicago by the 12/1 priority deadline and heard back from UChicago in mid-January. I have to respond to UChicago's offer by 3/4, and I'd like at least SOME time to consider my options (especially financially!) if I do get in to Columbia...but hopefully we'll all know by the end of next week!

30 minutes ago, soft_skeleton said:

Hi everyone! I just called the admissions office and was told that acceptances will be sent out next week. It's a bit annoying because I submitted my applications to both Columbia and University of Chicago by the 12/1 priority deadline and heard back from UChicago in mid-January. I have to respond to UChicago's offer by 3/4, and I'd like at least SOME time to consider my options (especially financially!) if I do get in to Columbia...but hopefully we'll all know by the end of next week!

Congrats on being accepted to UChicago! That's awesome. 

By the way, when Columbia mentioned to you on the phone that the decisions will go out next week, did they say that this is specifically for those applications submitted during the priority deadline or this applies to everyone submitted their applications within Jan 4th deadline? 

Also soft_skeleton I think (if you have not done so) you should ask UChicago to kindly extend the deadline for you to say 'yes' to them

3 hours ago, Opt4theBest said:

Congrats on being accepted to UChicago! That's awesome. 

By the way, when Columbia mentioned to you on the phone that the decisions will go out next week, did they say that this is specifically for those applications submitted during the priority deadline or this applies to everyone submitted their applications within Jan 4th deadline? 

Also soft_skeleton I think (if you have not done so) you should ask UChicago to kindly extend the deadline for you to say 'yes' to them

By the end of next week for those that had applied by 12/1, I didn't ask about the 1/4 applicants, so I'm assuming that will be even later. The wait is killing me!

54 minutes ago, leeangie said:

Just got my decision letter..! Got accepted to the two year program but there was no notice about scholarship or anything

Congrats Leeangie! May I ask when did you submit your application? 

2 minutes ago, leeangie said:

Thanks! I submitted my app on the first of December, but it was completed on the 11th.

Oh so you're one of the priority deadline applicants. I think I won't hear back anytime soon (my application was competed on Jan 4)

Hello, I applied to the Advanced Standing MSSW for this fall.  I applied by the 12/1 deadline as well but haven't received a decision yet, it's helpful to hear from others who are in the same spot.  I am also curious as to what financial aid options students are receiving if/when they are accepted, as the cost is a concern of mine,especially since I would have to relocated from Alaska.  Take care!

52 minutes ago, KmmAlaska said:

Is that for advanced standing as well?

I guess for everyone who applied by Jan 4th. 

22 hours ago, leeangie said:

Just got my decision letter..! Got accepted to the two year program but there was no notice about scholarship or anything

Hi leeangie, are you an international applicant? 

Edited by Opt4theBest

On February 4, 2016 at 9:39 PM, Opt4theBest said:

Sorry, it's taken me a while to respond! They send out waves of acceptances (what AMcCoy is saying) so hopefully the first was Feb 15th, and then the next week and so on. From what I understand they start from the pool of those that applied during the normal application period and then they move on to later apps (extended deadline), but I'm not positive about that! Good luck!!