SIPA 2016

14 minutes ago, marco_p said:

could you be more precise, bottom of what? I can't see any hyperlinks...

@marco_p click through to your acceptance letter then scroll all the way down. If you have a funding offer, you will see a second link.

Seems like in the results' page everyone got accepted. Not even one waitlist or rejection--do you think this year has a higher acceptance rate, they are sending out all the acceptances first, or something else is going on?

8 minutes ago, kbui said:

Seems like in the results' page everyone got accepted. Not even one waitlist or rejection--do you think this year has a higher acceptance rate, they are sending out all the acceptances first, or something else is going on?

I got a rejection from SIPA today. I was kind of expecting it- but still had a sliver of hope ^.^ fresh out of undergrad and no experience. Life goes on! Relieved to know and had I gotten in, I probably would NOT have passed up the offer, getting me into a lot of debt, haha. (Trying to see the positive in this, guys).

Edited by ParisDreams

53 minutes ago, kbui said:

I think the results page is a pretty unrepresentative sample of people who have applied and received admissions decisions, to be completely honest. Also a few people have posted on this thread that they received rejections today. It's probably just related to the biased reporting that is part and parcel to something like a grad school forum. Or, they could have released all of the acceptances and just some of the rejections? Or simply a disproportionate number of acceptances relative to rejections, with the remainder released on a rolling basis? Hard to say! 

Edited by 6speed!

I am grateful to everyone on gradcafe. I've been following this site since the beginning of my whole application process. I just got accepted to SIPA MPA-DP program with a $35,000 fellowship covering both years.

Facts about me: Currently working in Ghana for the past 2 years. Weak GRE scores 3.7 GPA Strong LORs, internship w/ U.S. Department of State

Accepted but no info on funding. I assume that means none. Just to finally sink my hopes, does anyone have a screenshot of the "2nd" fellowship link from the site? 

Edited by murray

12 minutes ago, murray said:

Accepted but no info on funding. I assume that means none. Just to finally sink my hopes, does anyone have a screenshot of the "2nd" fellowship link from the site? 

http://imgur.com/pneqvsy

See this link. The second link below is the letter that contains funding which is found at the bottom.

Edited by sp108

8 minutes ago, murray said:

Ok yeah I don't have that. Thanks and congratulations though! 

Thanks and congratulations to you as well! It just made my decision on which program to attend a thousand times harder just because they gave me funding and it's really not even that much compared to the overall cost included with living in NYC. It's a decent problem to have but I have a lot of thinking to do this month

Edited by sp108

I got a rejection from SIPA today- a bit taken aback as I thought it was one of the less competitive programs I was applying to. I guess that is a good reality check.

1 hour ago, kbui said:

Is not getting that funding letter pretty much mean $0 funding?

I think so. They said in the next few weeks they'll let us know about sources of possible funding, though.

42 minutes ago, beefmaster said:

I am in, with no money. 100% will be declining. Very disappointing. 

That being said, none of us without funding should decline outright. There are a lot of people who will reject their funding meaning it may become free (again just maybe), so I'm certainly going to ask for some more money when the deadline nears.

Just be smart about it. If you don't ask, then it's definitely $0. I may end up asking two or three times just in case money frees up at the right time.

8 minutes ago, monocle said:

I think so. They said in the next few weeks they'll let us know about sources of possible funding, though.

That being said, none of us without funding should decline outright. There are a lot of people who will reject their funding meaning it may become free (again just maybe), so I'm certainly going to ask for some more money when the deadline nears.

Just be smart about it. If you don't ask, then it's definitely $0. I may end up asking two or three times just in case money frees up at the right time.

Unfortunately to live in NYC I would need approx 50% - 75% funding over both years. Taking 2 years out of the workforce (already employed in the sector I want to work in) and taking on that much debt is just too much.

Edited by beefmaster

5 minutes ago, beefmaster said:

Unfortunately to live in NYC I would need approx 50% - 75% funding over both years.

Well good luck to you wherever you go! I still think it's worth an email, though. :)

55 minutes ago, monocle said:

Well good luck to you wherever you go! I still think it's worth an email, though. :)

I completely agree. I didn't receive any funding as of yet. However, I am willing to fight and find resources to make a dream come true. Still waiting to hear from other schools as well. I would just encourage people don't give up yet, if this is a dream of yours. Everything happens for a reason and only you can make the right decision. I am willing to email and call to find out options. Worst thing they can say is no... :-) Cheers to everyone following their dreams!

Columbia made it pretty clear that 1st year students don't get funding right? They said only 10% do and then 70% of all of those that apply 2nd year do (for an average of $20,000). I will probably apply again after a few more years of work experience but I know that getting funding is very unlikely so will probably look for external options.