Direct entry into SLP MA/MS program without prereqs?

I have an undergraduate degree in English and need to take all prerequisites to get into an SLP program - does anyone know of programs that admit students into their master's programs that integrate the prereqs? I am only aware of CU Boulder and University of the Pacific. I am hoping to apply to a few of these programs (if more exist) and apply for post-bacc programs (post-bacc is up for debate... not sure if I should take these on my own instead.) 

Thanks so much! 

Hi Plume, 

All the schools in my signature block have 3-year programs with the pre-reqs included. There are others (there's a thread somewhere on this forum with that info); I only focused on those 6 because they also have bilingual programs 

Thanks mcamp! I will keep looking for that old thread. It sounds like there are more 3-year programs than I originally thought! 

You might want to take at least a few pre-req classes this fall & next spring just to have more options. There are schools that require having 4-5 pre-reqs completed at the time you enter the program (not when you apply) so that would give you a full year to complete those.

If you´re flexible and can move to attend a school with a 3year leveling program, I really recommend it. You save time and money by avoiding wasted classes (and accompanying books, fee´s, transcripts, etc). Also, I think if you have strong numbers to get noticed, then the different background can help you stand out. 

I am really hoping to get into a 3-year program for the reasons you listed, @mcamp. It seems to be the option that makes the most sense for me if I can make it in, and I am very flexible with the location. It is hard to know how competitive of an applicant I am - my GPA is 3.73, GRE scores are probably/hopefully going to be 150Q/160V based on practice tests, and I work in the field as a "language therapist," but there are other things that are not great, like I have an English degree, took a few years after college to work unrelated jobs (including bartending) and had poor grades my first 3 semesters of undergrad that didn't count towards my overall GPA. I am not a shoe-in but I meet the general requirements and have related experience. I am tempted to post a panicky "WILL I GET INTO A GRAD SCHOOL??!" question soon to get some feedback. :) 

@Crimson Wife I am taking chem/physics and statistics in the evenings this fall, but I wasn't sure if I should take more prereqs after that. I am worried about wasting money on classes I might not need but it's a different story if it will help me get into school. I need to think about that some more!

@plumeI think you´ve got as good of a chance as anyone. You´re GPA is above average for many programs. It sounds like you´ll be able to get an above average GRE as well. Those things will get you noticed. If you have the time, obviously keep prepping your GRE. But I´d start focusing on exploring your interests so you can identify the perfect programs to apply to. Also, start taking that related work you´re doing now and begin crafting an amazing Personal Statement. 

As for pre-reqs. I´d say try to get a few of the most general ones out of the way. For me, finishing 3 allowed me to apply to my top-choice school (where I´ll be attending in August). Like, Phonetics & Phonology; Language Development; Anatomy & Physiology of Speech - courses like that which will most likely count no matter where you go. Also, those few pre-reqs give you opportunities to meet professors in the field and earn strong Letters of Rec. 

18 hours ago, plume said:

@mcamp

@Crimson Wife I am taking chem/physics and statistics in the evenings this fall, but I wasn't sure if I should take more prereqs after that. I am worried about wasting money on classes I might not need but it's a different story if it will help me get into school. I need to think about that some more!

All schools are going to require Speech & Language Development and Phonetics, so those 2 are good pre-reqs to have under your belt. Most people find those classes fairly easy. A&P of Speech & Hearing is another course that all schools are going to require but it is more challenging if you're already taking chemistry.

On June 26, 2016 at 2:09 AM, plume said:

I have an undergraduate degree in English and need to take all prerequisites to get into an SLP program - does anyone know of programs that admit students into their master's programs that integrate the prereqs? I am only aware of CU Boulder and University of the Pacific. I am hoping to apply to a few of these programs (if more exist) and apply for post-bacc programs (post-bacc is up for debate... not sure if I should take these on my own instead.) 

Thanks so much! 

NY Medical College is a two year program and does not require you to have pre-requisites. 

This is all SO helpful! I am now thinking I need to take one of the easier classes this fall. And thank you for the NY Med tip!!!