Answers and Celebrations

JohnBom

I have a question for people: Beyond general grad school web application status, have others received notification from the departments themselves that your applications are complete?. I have only received this from one school. Otherwise, nothing! Should I be concerned and take action, or do I just need to sit tight?

Thanks for any input!

Several of my schools emailed to tell me my application was complete and under review. Some of these I'd contacted for confirmation, but others just sent an email out of the blue.

I have a mix of top schools and not-top schools. Variety is good!

I emailed Iowa last week because the status page showed a couple of transcripts missing. I heard back today that they have all of my info and look forward to reviewing my application.

It doesn't seem I'm applying to any of the schools to which others are applying. I take that as a good sign based on everyones stats! :)

I received confirmation from the three schools to which I applied.

Do sociology programs typically ask for interviews if they are considering accepting you? Is it bad if you don't get an interview? I didn't think they normally did any for this department. huh.gif

As far as I know, most departments don't interview. There surely is a thread devoted to this topic.

Thanks guys. I think the season for sociology has now started!

Paradoxically, I am now stressing out even more now. I found out they invited 14 people. Last year they accepted five. (Well, I am not really sure of that. Somebody said that last year here.) It's better than four out of who-knows-how-many, but still a slim chance. The visit is scheduled for 4th - 7th.

All I want is ONE offer. Pretty please..

Paradoxically, I am now stressing out even more now. I found out they invited 14 people. Last year they accepted five. (Well, I am not really sure of that. Somebody said that last year here.) It's better than four out of who-knows-how-many, but still a slim chance. The visit is scheduled for 4th - 7th.

All I want is ONE offer. Pretty please..

good luck!

I'd personally prefer to think of this as the preseason still... please? I mean it's in the South, let's call it early Spring Training? I'm not ready for the season to actually begin. I'm quite comfortable being in a similar situation to Schrodinger's cat; I'm not ready to open the box quite yet.

I bet at least two of the fourteen rub the staff the wrong way. At a place with interviews, I'd imagine they have slightly different criteria and have a few people in the "I like them... if they're not creepy psychos" box.

this whole waiting process makes me sick, and i wish i could just fast forward to may. kthanksbai.

someone could make a business out of cryogenically freezing people through their anxiety-ridden waiting periods and make a cool mint off it, I know I'd happily participate

I hate the wait! and I thought this year was going to be easier since I was doing it for the second time, but now I just feel like I need to know NOW!

Has anyone heard anything from any of their schools? I just heard from the last school I applied to. they emailed me to tell me everything was there and I would hear from them no later than April 1st. I don't want to wait that long!

If anyone has any tips to keep my mind of gradschool I would appreciate it.

Oh, and is anyone here going to the Eastern Sociological Society meeting in Boston? I'm trying to convince my office to send me there. Small regional meetings are usually fun because you get to talk to more people than at the big ASA meeting.

All I got were confirmations that my materials were received. Don't have any tips though, let me know if you get some (so I won't be lurking this forum all day).

I submitted a paper with a colleague to the Easterns, don't know if I will attend but my work will be there. Not sure why she wanted to do that one since we're located in the South, I think she wants to show off for ivy league professors.

I just got my first acceptance, to one of my top programs, with full funding. I can't even explain how relieved I am. Now I can go on with my life knowing that I'll be in school this fall, and plan accordingly (sell the house, etc.). Yay!

I just got my first acceptance, to one of my top programs, with full funding. I can't even explain how relieved I am. Now I can go on with my life knowing that I'll be in school this fall, and plan accordingly (sell the house, etc.). Yay!

CONGRATS!!! Way to go... do you mind telling us which school is that? It might put some of our anxieties to rest.

Congrats! Add it to the results search!!

Congratulations!