2017 MFA Interview Thread

turnip

I'm preparing myself for an interview (and hopefully more), so I thought it'd be nice to have a new interview thread for this year. I'm copying and pasting the questions from last year's thread. 

Common Questions Visual Arts Applicants are Asked During an Interview

How does your work fit in with the contemporary art world/scene?

Why do you want to go to XXXXX?

Why do you want to go to grad school? Why now?

What resources of this program will be the biggest benefit to your development as an artist?

What is your work about?

What are your influences?

What for you constitutes a good work of art?

What draws you to a piece of work?

What motivates your work?

Who are your main influences?

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

What do you think is a good critique of your work/bad critique?

Why/how did you choose the people who wrote letters for you?

How will you contribute to this program?

What do you do for fun?

What artists do you like? (you can have a list prepared)

What artists who are no longer living influence you?

What book are you reading right now? What do you think about it?

What are you working on right now?

Please explain this work (xxxx03.jpg)

What is your favorite piece of art? Why? (Title, artist,year)

Can you describe yourself, such as personal habit, etc.

Do you get along well with others ?

What would you bring to a group dynamic ?

What can you offer this program? Any special skills?

What do you think is a good way of criting ? a bad way?

What other aspects of culture influence your work besidesart/art history?

How do you see yourself taking advantage of this school’s enviroment/program?

What exhibition have you been to in the last year?

What have you done since you’ve graduated?

What contemporary artists are you into, and why?

Tell us about the conceptual underpinnings of your work?

Talk about your process.

What do you think about *this essay*? (related to your work)

How is your work related to *this movement*?

Do you have any questions for us?

What do you think about (artist, movement, subject/topic)

What can't you stand? Why?

What do you think about your own work?

How do you want your work to develop?

Why are you making the work you're making, and why do you want to keep doing it?

Meaning behind your subject matter?

influences

so you've written a good amount about your practice in your statement...can you expand a little more

what was the last show you saw that had a profound effect on you?

Ideas for Questions to Ask During Your Interview

what's the degree of permeability between the department's different studio areas?

what do the teaching assistantship duties generally consist of?

Will I be assisting a professor, or will I be teaching my own class?

Have recent alumni stayed in the area or ventured elsewhere? 

What is the grad student to faculty ratio? 

Ask for more information about particular courses in the curriculum.

Other Tips

Be able to speak about the professors work and why you are influenced by it. 

Write a follow up Thank you email within 48 hours after your interview.

Thanks for re-surfacing this list, Turnip. 

It is both daunting and helpful. XD

Does anyone have any tips for common mistakes made during interviews/topics to avoid?

For example, not necessarily relating to me: things about significant others, politics, personal experiences with mental illness?

I imagine that should these things pertain directly to your practice, it would be welcome. But...what if the connection is more indirect? Perhaps a silly question of which the answer could easily be--if you're not sure and it doesn't directly relate, avoid it. But thought it could be a helpful point of discussion. Thoughts?

i think if it relates to your practice in the slightest bit, mental illness, politics and family are fair game. bringing up those topics in relation to jobs/art has led to positive outcomes for me in the past. i would, however, refrain from talking about other commitments that may affect your time as a student in the program. 

Probably going to to talk to my mentor about this, but if in an interview they ask me what I've been doing since the application.... Like, to be honest, the past year I poured every free moment into my practice and fell behind in maintaining my relationships, being involved in my community and reading. So especially how fucking terrifying this past month has been I've been nurturing these other drives. I've been drawing a bit and reading a lot of art theory, do you think the reviewers may take points off for that?

1 hour ago, meghanmetier said:

Probably going to to talk to my mentor about this, but if in an interview they ask me what I've been doing since the application.... Like, to be honest, the past year I poured every free moment into my practice and fell behind in maintaining my relationships, being involved in my community and reading. So especially how fucking terrifying this past month has been I've been nurturing these other drives. I've been drawing a bit and reading a lot of art theory, do you think the reviewers may take points off for that?

1 hour ago, meghanmetier said:

I've also been engaging myself in leftist theory and community organizing, and my practice does touch ground in my leftist political beliefs. 

Those are all totally relevant! Personally, I would stick to having only a positive angle. I wouldn't point out how your relationships have been affected because that could make them worry about the next 2 years. Just my 2cents.

On 2/1/2017 at 11:41 AM, Leo168 said:

Thanks for re-surfacing this list, Turnip. 

It is both daunting and helpful. XD

Does anyone have any tips for common mistakes made during interviews/topics to avoid?

For example, not necessarily relating to me: things about significant others, politics, personal experiences with mental illness?

I imagine that should these things pertain directly to your practice, it would be welcome. But...what if the connection is more indirect? Perhaps a silly question of which the answer could easily be--if you're not sure and it doesn't directly relate, avoid it. But thought it could be a helpful point of discussion. Thoughts?

This will be my first time interviewing for an mfa, so I'm not sure what the best approach is. Personally, I don't plan to talk about the types of examples in your list. I'm (maybe overly?) concerned about making sure I stick to my strengths and not discuss my challenges - unless directly asked.

The University of Michigan was the only place that I applied which required an essay outlining the challenges the applicant has faced to get to the point of applying to grad school. It was the only writing I did for applications where I revealed what those challenges are for me, so if asked in an interview, I feel I have an answer at the ready. 

On 2/1/2017 at 11:41 AM, Leo168 said:

I wouldn't really bring them up unless they're relevant to your work, or the conversation is just flowing really well. I'd hate to walk away from an interview and realize I ended up talking more about (whatever topic) than my art.

On 2017-01-31 at 8:58 PM, turnip said:

I'm preparing myself for an interview (and hopefully more), so I thought it'd be nice to have a new interview thread for this year. I'm copying and pasting the questions from last year's thread. 

Common Questions Visual Arts Applicants are Asked During an Interview

Why do you want to go to XXXXX?

Why do you want to go to grad school? Why now?

What resources of this program will be the biggest benefit to your development as an artist?

What is your work about?

What are your influences?

What for you constitutes a good work of art?

What draws you to a piece of work?

What motivates your work?

Who are your main influences?

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

What do you think is a good critique of your work/bad critique?

Why/how did you choose the people who wrote letters for you?

How will you contribute to this program?

What do you do for fun?

What artists do you like? (you can have a list prepared)

What artists who are no longer living influence you?

What book are you reading right now? What do you think about it?

What are you working on right now?

Please explain this work (xxxx03.jpg)

What is your favorite piece of art? Why? (Title, artist,year)

Can you describe yourself, such as personal habit, etc.

Do you get along well with others ?

What would you bring to a group dynamic ?

What can you offer this program? Any special skills?

What do you think is a good way of criting ? a bad way?

What other aspects of culture influence your work besidesart/art history?

How do you see yourself taking advantage of this school’s enviroment/program?

What exhibition have you been to in the last year?

What have you done since you’ve graduated?

What contemporary artists are you into, and why?

Tell us about the conceptual underpinnings of your work?

Talk about your process.

What do you think about *this essay*? (related to your work)

How is your work related to *this movement*?

Do you have any questions for us?

What do you think about (artist, movement, subject/topic)

What can't you stand? Why?

What do you think about your own work?

How do you want your work to develop?

Why are you making the work you're making, and why do you want to keep doing it?

Meaning behind your subject matter?

influences

so you've written a good amount about your practice in your statement...can you expand a little more

what was the last show you saw that had a profound effect on you?

Ideas for Questions to Ask During Your Interview

what's the degree of permeability between the department's different studio areas?

what do the teaching assistantship duties generally consist of?

Will I be assisting a professor, or will I be teaching my own class?

Have recent alumni stayed in the area or ventured elsewhere? 

What is the grad student to faculty ratio? 

Ask for more information about particular courses in the curriculum.

Other Tips

Be able to speak about the professors work and why you are influenced by it. 

Write a follow up Thank you email within 48 hours after your interview.

Thank you so much for this list! <3

On 2/5/2017 at 6:03 AM, Tyra1992 said:

Anyone knows any tips for the MFA in Sculpture at SAIC? Or has heard of anyone who has been at the interview?

Thank you!

I've talked to two friends who interviewed at SAIC in sculpture last year. One told me that the interview committee projected their slideroom portfolio and had them talk about each slide. Then they asked a bunch of questions from the list above, including what you're reading (and specific questions/ discussion about it), How your work fits into contemporary art, and artists who are both dead and still working that you like. 

1 hour ago, turnip said:

I've talked to two friends who interviewed at SAIC in sculpture last year. One told me that the interview committee projected their slideroom portfolio and had them talk about each slide. Then they asked a bunch of questions from the list above, including what you're reading (and specific questions/ discussion about it), How your work fits into contemporary art, and artists who are both dead and still working that you like. 

Thank you Turnip, that is good information! Did they get in?

9 hours ago, Tyra1992 said:

Thank you Turnip, that is good information! Did they get in?

I forgot to ask! They both said that they could tell while they were there that is wasn't the right fit for them and thus chose different schools. 

Hello hello interview thread, good luck to everyone having interviews!

Anyone doing it for Columbia MFA New Genres? I got the email yesterday and am now trying to know what their interviews are usually like? Do they expect me to bring new work that was not in the portfolio, what do you think?

Thank you turnip so much for sharing this! Very helpful. So I did my first interview with UPenn today, almost all the questions they asked were covered here:

_____

What's your work about? Explain the (cultural) influence you mentioned in your statement?

How do you see your work develop in the MFA program?

How do you deal with location changes (since I shot some of my work in my homeland)? 

Why this program?

Favorite contemporary artists?

Questions for us?

____

Hope this is helpful for you all;)

2 hours ago, kkkkk said:

Thank you turnip so much for sharing this! Very helpful. So I did my first interview with UPenn today, almost all the questions they asked were covered here:

_____

What's your work about? Explain the (cultural) influence you mentioned in your statement?

How do you see your work develop in the MFA program?

How do you deal with location changes (since I shot some of my work in my homeland)? 

Why this program?

Favorite contemporary artists?

Questions for us?

____

Hope this is helpful for you all;)

Did you do it in person or by skype? And if you did it in person, did you bring new work or things to show them while there?

9 hours ago, eyerolling said:

Did you do it in person or by skype? And if you did it in person, did you bring new work or things to show them while there?

I did by Skype, and they asked me to describe work I'm working on recently.

Thanks for posting this, Turnip! I had my interview with SFAI yesterday, and I prepped largely by printing out your questions and making extensive notes on them. While we were talking, I was able to reference those (and they asked a LOT of the questions you listed!), and it made me feel so much more confident and relaxed during the process.

So basically, if I get accepted, you're getting the credit. Thanks again!

1 hour ago, tugbamina_871 said:

question: when emailing thank you notes to interviewers, do you ask for their email beforehand? do you find them in the institution's directory? do you email them separately or all at once (dear selection committee?) 

I asked for my interviewer's email during our conversation. It came up naturally when she told me to call her if I had any more questions.

On 2/10/2017 at 10:08 PM, MonkeyPants said:

Thanks for posting this, Turnip! I had my interview with SFAI yesterday, and I prepped largely by printing out your questions and making extensive notes on them. While we were talking, I was able to reference those (and they asked a LOT of the questions you listed!), and it made me feel so much more confident and relaxed during the process.

So basically, if I get accepted, you're getting the credit. Thanks again!

Did you interview in person at SFAI? Curious, was it with one faculty member or a group? I have my interview this Weds. and was told I would be meeting with a specific faculty member. 

Thanks!

21 hours ago, metalbeach said:

Did you interview in person at SFAI? Curious, was it with one faculty member or a group? I have my interview this Weds. and was told I would be meeting with a specific faculty member. 

Thanks!

I interviewed by phone, with a single faculty member.