All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Hi everyone! I recently just accepted my admissions offer to Portland State University. I'll be moving from the LA area, and I'm excited to meet the fall 2019 cohort! Is there a Facebook group for the incoming students? Also, if there are any previous PSU students, feel free to leave some advice for us!
  3. mel16j

SLP Instagram Accounts

I love deborahbrookscccslp, thepeachiespeechie, crazyspeechworld, & theinformedslp!
  4. mel16j

GRE advice

I highly recommend Magoosh! Its a little pricey, but if you can catch it when they are having a sale, I saved a ton! And raised my score by more than 5 points the second time around. The first time I only used Manhattan Prep study book set. You could also use the 5 lb practice book, find some free practice tests online (I think ETS website even has some) and phone apps for vocabulary. Be persistent and dont give up! Good luck
  5. YF1999

Lack of Statistics Classes/Research

i am wondering what kind of math background is needed? i only took two optimization, one discrete math, one ODE, two calcular, one linear algebra, and plan to take phd level probability next term, do i need to take more math courses? i only learned analysisi by myself but take no class due to limited units
  6. mswash

Canada MSW 2019

Hi! Just curious where you're looking for apartments. Craiglist? Kijiji? I'll be moving with my boyfriend looking for a one bedroom and not sure where to start!
  7. i have taken Applied Multivariate Analysis, Statistics Inference, Big data Analytic, ODE, Discrete Math, Discrete Optimization during exchange in univeristy of south carolina with a gpa of 4.0 and Optimization Theory, Time Series,Regression, Survival Analysis,Computing Statistics, Data Structure, probability*2,financial simulations,Data exploration, R\&SAS, Linear Algebra, Calculus in HK WITH A or A- in these courses. can i try to apply a top graduate school? best regards
  8. bac.engine

NSERC C/PGSD 2019-2020

Thank you!
  9. maxhgns

Preparations for the Fall

Honestly, I think that the most important thing you can do is start professionalizing yourself, especially if you're starting a PhD. Everything else will come during the course of the PhD itself. So, for example, start familiarizing yourself with the best journals in your subfield, and with the top generalist journals, and what kind of work gets published in which journal. Start developing a sense of how fast the turnaround is in various journals (the Cullison/APA list is helpful for that). Create an account on PhilPapers, and sign up for conference and publication alerts. Start looking at the CVs of grad students, postdocs, and assistant professors at a wide range of departments. In particular, look for people working in your inteded AOSes. Get a sense of what they're doing, and how it seems to have worked out for them. Figure out what the important conferences and associations are in your subfields. Start following the gossip on the main philosophy blogs. Start reading through the Job Market Boot Camp on the Philosophers' Cocoon. Start paying attention to what goes on in the forum over at the Chronicle of Higher Education. That sort of thing.
  10. Today
  11. CherryBlossom_

Venting Thread- Vent about anything.

Don't those things die with undergrad school? 😮 the last time I got drunk was at my ex's graduation party, almost a life ago With age comes wisdom, hangover aversion and a more refined taste for wines!
  12. Laurenf131

GRE advice

I also did Magoosh and found it extremely helpful! Not only do they have 1200+ practice questions and multiple full-length, timed tests, but every question has a video and text explanation of the answer so you can learn from your mistakes. I studied for about a month or month a half before the test and my scores went up dramatically from my practice test. I found their practice questions to be very close to the style and difficulty of the actual GRE. Magoosh gives you estimates on your scores based on your performance on the practice questions too. I personally used the math instructional videos and the test-taking tips and tricks videos the most. If I hadn't used Magoosh, I probably would've had to take it twice because I wouldn't have done as well the first time I took it. For that reason alone, I think it was worth the price. I think my GRE scores, boosted by my practice with Magoosh, helped me get into grad school. 10/10 would recommend, even if you just do the three-month instead of the six-month.
  13. SLPhopeful2019

Canadian SLP Declining Offers Thread 2019

Congrats!! Would you mind pming me your stats?
  14. Sooo at UCF for our Bach in CSD our only hearing classes that we had were Audiology and Hearing Disorders Across the Lifespan and they wouldn't accept Hearing Disorders Across the Lifespan for Aural Rehab so they highly suggested that I take it with their campus this Spring and that my application will roll over for Fall semester. I emailed the enrollment advisor about it, but I haven't heard back yet. I might try calling tomorrow if I still haven't heard anything.
  15. mjellyfish

NEED HELP DECIDING b/t CSUEB & SJSU!!!

Hi; I just sent you a PM!
  16. CherryBlossom_

Anyone else not going to a top ranked grad program?

That's some good advice! Not only for academia but also for other jobs. Some reverse engineering! I see lots of prospective students/young professionals asking for advice and this kind of search is a good way for one to decide which program/job would be a good fit for you to get where you wanna be. As though as I agree with almost everything said in this thread, this question of prestige... it's a delicate one. We gotta be realistic but careful with our statements. It's a question that - if misinterpreted - might discourage people from applying/pursuing their dreams. One might think, for example, that someone from a different country shouldn't even bother to apply for top-5 programs in the US (yes, I've already heard that one, I'm from South America). However, I have about 5 or 6 classmates at Harvard, Columbia, Stanford, MIT and so on.. and yeah, they all carry a "south-american undergraduate degree".
  17. Adelaide9216

I failed my thesis.

Thanks!!!
  18. Meraki

I failed my thesis.

I'm really sorry to hear about the situation. I will say that I am impressed with how you've already pulled together a plan and are not being too hard on yourself. It is unfortunate that you did not have the guidance you needed. It's great that you have a good relationship with your advisor, but I think it was wise to ask about having another set of eyes on your work. You have clear feedback and it seems you have good odds at pulling through. I wish you the best of luck.
  19. EagerSpeechie2019

Canadian SLP Declining Offers Thread 2019

Congrats! I haven’t heard anything so I’m trying to stay hopeful 🤞🏻
  20. Sigaba

Out of State Job vs. In-State Residency

Were I in your position, I would reread the rules and the guidelines/policies on student conduct. If you're in the SUNY system, the rules may be clear enough. "Generally, individuals who have maintained their domicile in New York for a period of fewer than twelve months prior to the end of registration are presumed to be out-of-state residents and are not eligible for the resident tuition rate." If those documents did not provide a clear answer, I would ask my department and the bursars office separately. Ideally, all three sources will provide the same answer. If the same answer is "you'll lose residency," then I would think I'd gotten sound guidance. If your department says "this is fine" and the bursar's office says differently, I would go with the guidance of the latter. Here's the thing. Even if your department is okay with you bending the rules (which might be a huge red flag for other issues), the fact that you attend a public university may mean that the school will get the last laugh by holding your diploma until you pay the difference between resident and nonresident fees AND by flagging your file for future background checks AND, if you don't pay in a timely manner, referring your bill to a collection agency. (Were @TakeruK still active on this BB, he might point out student privacy laws to which I'd reply that by approving background checks for a job, such right could be waived.)
  21. ssr12013

WWS Fall 2019

That makes a lot of sense, thanks for sharing. So which program will you be attending?
  22. sgaw10

You're not alone!
  23. Ooh ok, I’ll submit it asap too then. And where are you seeing the classes/list of faculty? I’d love to get an idea of what the options are (though are we all basically taking the same classes/there’s no flexibility?)
  24. Halek

Sometimes it feels like I don't belong in grad school because I don't like to get drunk and I don't really smoke.
  25. Monica1994

apply for KAUST 2019 FALL Bioscience phD

one first-author publication, two participated publications, one patent, GPA 3.7, IELTS 7.0
  26. somewhatnervous

Out of State Job vs. In-State Residency

Thanks for your response, Sigaba. I should clarify: it's not so much my advisers or faculty who I'm concerned with telling/not telling (I'm eager to share the news with them!), but rather with the bureaucracy at my institution. What I'm trying to find out is whether or not it's a good idea to report to the bursars office that I'm taking a job out of state when my tuition waiver is meant to cover tuition for in-state residency.
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.