All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. If you are sure you are headed to the private sector I don't really see the advantage of more publications. A question might be how much income would you be giving up over that year vs how much more would you make due to those pubs (and/or 2nd BS)?
  3. Today
  4. I am interested in knowing how to get access to LTE data, specifically raw data to get information regarding IQ samples and channel impulse response. Which cell phone models would allow the developer to access such information?
  5. Absolutely reach out but be clear that you’re looking for Fall 2021. Every school has different policies about how they choose incoming students so the faculty will be able to give you a good idea of what’s possible. It’s also possible that their current research interests don’t align with the kind of student that they want to supervise. So, always check! Generally in-person meetings are probably seen as unnecessary. If you’re going to be in the area, it’s a little different but traveling from Rochester to Berkeley for a 15 minute chat is a bit much. When you apply and if they like you, some select schools will require you to come to campus, though usually on their dime.
  6. They sent me the same email today good luck to everyone
  7. It's reading week, I did nothing in terms of school-work and RAship, so I feel guilty.
  8. My gpa is 3.967, my major gpa is 4.00. my GRE is 300 combined (good reading score and crappy math score), and 5.0 for the writing. I have good things for my resume. I was thinking 3 schools, but I am not sure. Thanks!
  9. I worked during my PhD so I have some experience on my resume. One other benefit I can think of is giving me extra time to publish more. I think I can spin two publications out of my dissertation. I think the data from one part of my dissertation is strong enough for a journal. Right now I only have 3 conference articles.
  10. Hey all, For some reason in my score recipient section on my GRE report, the school that I reported the scores to the day of the test is listed as an undergraduate institution, and the two scores I sent after the test are separated and are listed as designated score recipients. Yet it says the scores I sent the day of the test were sent to the same exact school code that the graduate school told me to pick. Has anyone had this happen to them? Thanks!
  11. Yesterday
  12. You don't want to apply to "safety" schools when applying to graduate school. They are so expensive both in money and in time, don't waste your resources on something you do not REALLY want. For quantitative, don't bother. An EdX course really wouldn't help your application, which already seems strong. For the statement of purpose, it is more critical that you talk about what drives you. Don't waste space rehashing what you have already said in your resume/CV. Use it to build a story of who you are and how where you've been relates to where you're going, looping in what role each school plays in that process. A lot of people get the degrees you've listed because they want to shift focus (or even career paths), so your experience is more closely aligned to your goals than many. It shouldn't be too hard to explain. Your inclusion of SSP gives me a bit of pause. It doesn't make a lot of sense with the other degrees listed. While I am sure you would get in (provided your other application elements are fine), would MSFS not be a better fit? I am MSFS, but I have taken a few SSP courses and my best friend is SSP. That programme is really for people who want to do either defense or intelligence work. Not that you can't do other things, but those are really the careers for which it prepares you and if those aren't what you really want to do, it can be quite technical and even dull.
  13. Figured there were no posts specific to those applying for the Neuropsychology track, whether by program or faculty(POI). You can list your stats, background etc. Where your interested in applying etc. Space to ask questions about programs? Good Luck to us all !
  14. Current MSFS student here! Georgetown definitely does a good job at private sector training, especially in the IDEV and International Business & Finance concentrations, it's really only the Global Politics and Security concentration that is public sector-oriented. To be clear, you do not have to choose a concentration until the end of your first semester. Additionally, while we do not have the REQUIRED quantitative training that SAIS has, you can take just as many (if not more) quantitative course as their programme requires. I would especially recommend Georgetown for this area because, since the university overall tends to be more IR focused, there are a lot of classes in the school of public policy and the business school that have international focuses which you can take as electives and, in some cases, even to fulfill requirements. This is something you don't quite get at SAIS because they are so separate from the rest of Johns Hopkins, but here in MSFS you can really take any class you want across the university with very few exceptions. There are also a lot of quantitative offerings in-department. I would recommend the above especially if the Johns Hopkins quant requirements make you nervous but offer skills you would like. Having more flexibility in your quant requirements allows you to take quant classes more directly related to your interests, hopefully making you less nervous. As to your concerns about their in-country network, I had similar concerns upon matriculation only to find that once in, you have full access to their network, which is far more expansive than I imagined. And, unlike the other schools, the Graduate School of Foreign Service has a career center dedicated entirely to grad students in our programme, security studies, and the regional studies programmes. I have always been a bit skeptical of career centers, but they are far more helpful than I imagined and are extremely practiced in helping students (and alumni, you have lifetime access) find their dream jobs in any sector and assisting in networking, both with alumni and through other facets. As an example, I was looking at a job opening that interested me in the Ukraine office of Freedom House (an international watchdog). The career advisor was genuinely surprised that there was no Georgetown alum in the ten-person office (and had the resources to look that up). So, instead, she gave me contact information to three alumni in the DC office, two working at Freedom House in other post-Soviet countries, one who had previously worked in the Kyiv office, and showed me where to find others working in Kyiv in similar organizations. My recommendation would be to apply to all three programmes if you're interested, then once you get admissions decisions, you can attend Admitted Students Day and learn from the programmes directly and feel where you would fit best. Alternatively, all of the programmes employ full-time outreach/admissions staff who are eager to speak to prospective students. Maybe try reaching out!
  15. Hi! Thanks for all the people who answered, I know this is a late response but just wanted to say that all the comments helped me to formulate my thoughts and were all put into my final decision. I decided to go with Courtauld for the specialization and also because I had a chance to talk to my tutor, the professor I was interested in was also on sabbatical this year at SOAS. I think SOAS would have been a great experience as well, but so far courtauld has been amazing. Posting this to let anyone who is interested in knowing more know that they are free to contact me. - Daphne (:
  16. I applied! They said late October/early November, but that could really be any time at all.
  17. I’m in the BSW program currently and in my second to last semester of being done and graduating. The thing is I always said I would go to grad school right after, but recently I’ve been thinking about not going anymore. I have depression, anxiety and possibly BPD and it’s just getting worse. Each day I get closer to not wanting to go to school anymore because I’m just physically exhausted. Interning, school work and working a job is not what I want to do anymore. To be honest, I don’t really enjoy school anymore either. I just want to get a job after graduating and be done. My professors and classmates always say how important grad school is for social work so I’m just stuck at this moment. I guess I just needed to vent and hear some advice or maybe similar situations? I don’t know. Just a tired school kid talking.
  18. Currently, I am interested in a few different topics, but am kind of having a hard time finding literature or even the proper vocabulary to describe what I would like to study. The best way I can think about putting it is the development and cognition behind causal reasoning, particularly maladaptive biases related to causal reasoning. Ideally, this would be under a behavioral genetics (twin study) frame work. To elaborate, many people have trouble and extrapolate incorrect/illogical patterns from everyday observation and behavior, like in the cases of the gambler's fallacy or the post hoc fallacy. I am interested in seeing if these errors in reasoning are evolutionarily advantageous (like how they relate to temporal discounting/ Life History Theory) and how so, if they have an effect on criminal activity and antisocial tendencies among other facets of psychopathology, and whether there are neural correlates (neuropsychological deficits) which can reliably predict where these kinds of errors might come from. I have emailed several faculty members I am interested in working with, but they all seem to read only the first sentence about wanting more experience and not so much with discussing my actual question. If anyone has better words for the concepts I am trying to describe (mostly evolutionary and cognitive psychology paradigms), any researchers in mind, or just general advice, I would be more than happy and thankful to hear any and all feedback. Thanks and best of luck in all of your pursuits (:
  19. hello! I also applied for CSUN MSW spring. I just received an email that my application is under review. Good luck everyone in this process! :)
  20. I am very interested in pursuing biostatistics PhD for this coming year (2020). I realize I have a low gpa score but have a strong research record/work experience to compensate. I would really appreciate honest feedback about my chances for graduate school this coming year given that I can get very strong LORs. Undergrad Institution: Top 10 LAC Major: Computer Science and Statistics GPA: 3.56 Student: Domestic POC, female Courses: Intro to Stat Modeling (A-), Intro Computer Science I (B+), Multivariable Calculus (A-), Intermediate Statistics (A-), Intro Computer Science II (B+), Linear Algebra (B-), Probability (B), Spatial Statistics (B+), Data Structures and Algorithms I (A-), Databases (A-), Theoretical Statistics (B+), Computer Systems (B+), Networks & Cryptography (A+), Data Structures and Algorithms II (B), Advanced Data Analysis (B+), Machine Learning (A-), Mobile Computing (B+). GRE: 161Q, 161 V, 4.5 Writing Research/Work Experience: Currently work as a Data Analyst at Columbia University Medical Center (a year), with having previously worked at IBM Watson Health as a Data Scientist (a year and a half). I have two research publications and have been working on multiple manuscripts and abstracts for conferences. I also participated in the Biostatistics Program for Underrepresented Students at Columbia University two summers in college. Applying to: QBS PhD Program at Dartmouth Ohio State University Drexel University George Washington University Rutgers Boston University UMASS University of Pittsburg UNC Chapel Hill Virginia Commonwealth University University of Maryland Vanderbilt University Emory University Brown University University of Pennsylvania
  21. Experience helps but I think the application materials play a much bigger role (i.e., demonstrating leadership capacity in your essays or aligning your goals with offerings in the program). I believe HKS also has some cut offs for the GRE -- they look for 158 at least on the GRE Quant.
  22. I think UVM may have faculty who do work in this area. Unsure, but I remember a post-doc at a clinic I worked at talking about this at one point. Google search pulls this: https://www.google.com/search?q=university+of+vermont+refugee+mental+health&oq=university+of+vermont+refugee+mental+health&aqs=chrome..69i57j33.5980j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
  23. for the essays I feel like kaplan has a good essay structure to follow: https://www.kaptest.com/study/gre/how-to-structure-the-gre-issue-essay/ https://www.kaptest.com/study/gre/how-to-structure-the-gre-argument-essay/ I would take practice tests from ETS. I've heard those are the closest you can get to the real thing.
  24. Thanks to everyone for the advice! More specifically, my area of interest is in the role of black Americans in shaping US foreign policy, primarily in the Progressive Era, and the intersection of black foreign policy influence with the politics of international emigration. I don't know if that specificity effects anybody's advice here but if so I'd love to hear it, as well as if anyone has recommendations for other programs I should be looking at for my research area (also looking at Duke\UNC\UVA but probably wound't be applying to them this cycle either way) And my MA program is only one year so even if I applied to doctoral programs this fall and got accepted I'd graduate before beginning
  25. Are you looking to apply to Canadian programs as well? I hear Windsor has a high density of refugees
  26. Hey all, I've decided to go ahead with pursuing the PhD route and National Guard Chaplaincy. I am currently looking at Drew University, Claremont School of Theology, and perhaps Boston U and Claremont Graduate University as well. I am also open to suggestions. Anywhere with a focus in process theology or "Emerging" traditions (paganism/new age/contemprary) would likely work; though in the first case I would likely have a rough time migrating to a philosophy department. I have identified who I would like to work with at Drew and CST. Is it appropriate to contact them to make sure they are taking new doctoral students and/or test if research interests align? Are in person meetings encouraged? I would be looking at entry in Fall 2021 if that changes things. Many thanks. -Witch87
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.