MSW Canadian Applications Fall 2024

jmcinn97

Hey y'all! I wanted to create this forum for anyone applying to Canadian MSW programs for fall 2024. I applied to Carleton and the part time non BSW online MSW program at Laurier for fall 2023. Got rejected from Laurier and waitlisted at Carleton. I'll be reapplying to Carleton and applying to Dalhousie and UBC-Okanagan this time around. What about you all?

Edited by jmcinn97

• jmcinn97 changed the title to MSW Canadian Applications Fall 2024

Hey jmcinn97, thank you SO much for starting this thread! Every year this forum is such a valuable resource for anyone applying to their MSW. I'm a Canadian MSW grad - and these forums were a valuable resource even years ago when I applied back in 2017.  

I thought it would be helpful to share some resources early on in this forum. Here is a guide to applying to MSW programs in Canada - it's a solid starting place when looking at MSW programs. There is also a MSW Application Facebook group which has a few hundred people, many of whom have already been through the process of applying to grad school and give great advice about their experiences. 

I know how stressful it can be to apply to competitive programs. I strongly believe that it's possible to get accepted to the MSW Program EVEN if you don't have the best grades or the most experience. MSW Programs are holistic, and they recognize that social workers come from various backgrounds which can impact their grades and experiences. Because of that, they ask for a personal statement where applicants can account for their nuanced experiences, and show admissions committees why they would be a valuable asset to the program despite any areas of weakness in their application. 

I know how anxiety provoking the application process is, so every year I try to be a resource to everyone here. You'll see me pop in and answer questions, and you are also welcome to send me a DM or tag me any time. :)

Thanks again @jmcinn97 - can't wait to connect with the 2024 group! 

I will be applying to U of T, Calgary online, Wurzweiler online, and maybe York- all for the 2-year program. I just moved to Canada from the States, where getting into an MSW program is much less competitive, so I'm worried about my chances of getting into a program here- hence applying to an online American program. I'm crossing my fingers for U of T, but trying to keep my expectations low, especially since I graduated undergrad this past spring so I don't have work experience.

On 9/1/2023 at 4:13 PM, petrichor00 said:

I will be applying to U of T, Calgary online, Wurzweiler online, and maybe York- all for the 2-year program. I just moved to Canada from the States, where getting into an MSW program is much less competitive, so I'm worried about my chances of getting into a program here- hence applying to an online American program. I'm crossing my fingers for U of T, but trying to keep my expectations low, especially since I graduated undergrad this past spring so I don't have work experience.

If you have a good amount of volunteer experience in social services then you should be fine, but if you don't have any type of experience related to social service work I'd suggest holding off on applying until you gain some of that experience. Especially since most schools in Canada require a minimum of 3500 hours of paid or volunteer social service experience at the time your application is submitted :) 

Edited by jmcinn97

25 minutes ago, jmcinn97 said:

If you have a good amount of volunteer experience in social services then you should be fine, but if you don't have any type of experience related to social service work I'd suggest holding off on applying until you gain some of that experience. Especially since most schools in Canada require a minimum of 3500 hours of paid or volunteer social service experience at the time your application is submitted :) 

I've done a few internships, one of which was a calendar year long and was direct work with IPV survivors. I've also volunteered (peer counseling, the elderly) and done paid teaching work. In total, it's about 1500 hours. I'm hoping that my grades/GPA, research experience, and demonstrated focus on a niche issue will be enough to round out my lack of experience. But that's also why I'm applying to a US program as a backup. 

Hey! I am applying for the first time to MSW's this year. I had previously applied strictly to MEd's or MA's in Counselling Psych, but I find that social work aligns more with my goals. I am super nervous about applying to MSW as the statements are very different, and I am worried about writing a research proposal for Social Work.

I am applying to UBCO and U Calgary's foundational streams! 

Hi everyone! I loved this forum during my applications & wanted to stick around to help out if I can. I applied to 7 foundation MSW programs in total, here were my results:

UVic: admitted & accepted my place there

WLU: admitted

UFV: admitted

UofT: waitlisted

King’s at UWO: waitlisted

Dalhousie: rejected

Carleton: rejected

I also considered applying to Windsor, UBCO & UNBC but was so tired of writing those darn essays! If you have any questions about my GPA, work/volunteer experience, application essays or letters of reference please ask! I so hope you all get the outcomes you want and please keep your heads up, these programs are so competitive and a rejection says NOTHING about your worth as a person, your intelligence or your potential as a social worker❤️

10 minutes ago, Evs22 said:

Hi everyone! I loved this forum during my applications & wanted to stick around to help out if I can. I applied to 7 foundation MSW programs in total, here were my results:

I also considered applying to Windsor, UBCO & UNBC but was so tired of writing those darn essays! If you have any questions about my GPA, work/volunteer experience, application essays or letters of reference please ask! I so hope you all get the outcomes you want and please keep your heads up, these programs are so competitive and a rejection says NOTHING about your worth as a person, your intelligence or your potential as a social worker❤️

Wanted to add - MSW helper is a frequent poster here, she is an excellent resource! She is on tiktok & has a facebook page where she shares great advice! 

On 9/10/2023 at 11:15 PM, Evs22 said:

Wow, congrats on the acceptances! Are you able to share your stats and level of experience? 

3 hours ago, petrichor00 said:

Wow, congrats on the acceptances! Are you able to share your stats and level of experience? 

Absolutely! My GPA in my last couple of years was an 8.0 on a 9.0 scale (not sure about what that is on a 4.0 scale but it's basically an A average). My overall GPA for undergrad was an A-. I did an English major with a Psychology minor, also took a couple of counselling courses & did a 5 week French language thing in Quebec (not sure if that helped with my application or not but definitely bring up if you are bilingual in your application. I am not bilingual, my French is probably at the level of a 2 year old LOL)

Adding up all volunteer & work experience, I think I had between 3000-3500 hours. My work experience is community support services for people with disabilities/mental health support needs, my volunteering was with youth with developmental disabilities, children who were first and second gen immigrants, and a mental health companionship program. I also had some experience as a research assistant in the psychology department at my university. Nothing stellar or out of the ordinary, but I was able to reflect on my experiences and themes/problems within social services and how I'd like to change them. 

I think I am one of the youngest in my cohort & everyone else has a lot more life experience - I graduated uni in 2022 and took the year off between degrees so a) I'd have more life experience and b) I didn't have to deal with applications & schoolwork at the same time LOL

To be super honest, I have no IDEA how I got in when I compare myself to my peers and people on this forum. I'm guessing it was my personal statement? I did an English degree so maybe I just have decent essay writing skills. I would recommend trying to let some of your personality shine through in your statements, they're probably really boring to read for the admissions department and if you ease their boredom, they'll like you!

Sorry for the ramble, please message me or reply to this if you have any more questions. 

*EDIT* oh, and I got REALLY good references from my bosses. Not sure how good my academic references were, but (though I never saw their letters obviously) my bosses were extremely supportive of me going to do this degree

Edited by Evs22
missed something

Hi everyone! 😊

I remember using this forum when I was applying for my MSW for Fall 2022. I found it super helpful while doing my applications and thought I would post if anyone had any questions regarding apps, schools, reference letters etc!

Just for a little background, I applied to York, Carleton U, UofT - Children and Families, Western U, Wilfred Laurier, and Toronto Metropolitan U. I was accepted to all schools except Western where I was waitlisted - I ended up going to U of T (just finished 🥳)!

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to reply to this or DM me! I would be more than happy to help with your MSW application journey! ❤️ 

Hi everyone!

This will be my first time applying for a MSW. I will be applying for Dalhousie - online, and U of Waterloo - online. I graduated in April 2021 with my BSW from the UVic.

So far, I am really struggling to find academic references. Many of the professors I had at UVic no longer work at the school. Wondering if anyone has experienced something similar?

I am wondering if anyone has any general advice for the supplementary/ essay parts of the applications?

Thanks all!

Edited by olivialynne

On 9/23/2023 at 2:47 PM, olivialynne said:

Hi everyone!

This will be my first time applying for a MSW. I will be applying for Dalhousie - online, and U of Waterloo - online. I graduated in April 2021 with my BSW from the UVic.

So far, I am really struggling to find academic references. Many of the professors I had at UVic no longer work at the school. Wondering if anyone has experienced something similar?

I am wondering if anyone has any general advice for the supplementary/ essay parts of the applications?

Thanks all!

Hey Olivia! 

Every year profs write references for applicants that they barely know (and they're usually happy to do so because they know it's just something all applicants need to apply). I would reach out to past profs via email and basically introduce yourself, tell them what class you took/what grade you got, maybe something about what you liked about the class or a notable project you did. Then make the ask. If they say yes I would also give them a copy of your resume so that they have something to go off of. You definitely won't be the first or last person to reach out to a prof that you didn't know that well! 

When it comes to the personal statement my biggest advice is to:

1. Focus on your why: Talk about your insights and how you can contribute to the field in a meaningful way. Avoid regurgitating your resume and instead focus on the key experiences that motivated you or where you learned the most. 

2. Create cohesion between your experiences, social justice issues, and goals. If you say you want to work in a certain area post-grad, your personal statement and social justice issue should reflect that because it shows the reader/admissions committee that there is a need for social workers in your area of interest. 

Hope this helps! 

Hello there! So grateful for this forum and feeling less alone in this process! I'm applying to UofT and UBC - 2-yr foundational programs, in addition to Lakehead - 1-yr HBSW. I have a BSc in Biological Sci, and a BA in Philosophy. I'm LGBTQ+ and trans-identified looking to do work with gender diverse/trans youth. I'm also interested in working with Indigenous populations with a focus in community development, participatory-action research, trauma-informed care, anti-oppression and resiliency. 
I feel confident with my GPA, references and writing abilities, however, I'm really worried about my level of experience. Due to the pandemic, and other factors around social anxiety, gender dysphoria and barriers towards accessing gender-affirming care, my work in the field is rather limited. I'm looking to do a Masters because I'm very research/academically inclined and would like to enter the field via this route. 
Experience-wise, I've worked with a community-based food security project followed by interning with an Indigenous Food Security Collective that directly served and worked with food insecure Indigenous peoples, for the past year and a half, worked at a Sports Fitness Camp with Autistic youth, and I've volunteered short-term on a distress line and at a Mental Health In-Patient Clinic. 
Looking at other people's volunteer and work experiences, I feel very under qualified in that area and wondering if I even stand a chance getting in anywhere. Does anyone know of any schools that are less so work/volunteer experience focused?? Any insight or support would be greatly appreciated! 
All the best to anyone currently undertaking this process, sending love and patience!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2023 at 12:01 AM, Pizzapunx said:

After lurking here for over a year I'm finally joining the MSW application club. Applying to foundational programs at Carleton, WLU, and UManitoba. Probably applying for a couple online programs in the states also as a backup plan. Good luck to everyone.

I'm applying to the foundational programs at Carleton (for the second time, I was waitlisted for fall 2023), and uManitoba as well. Good luck! :) 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2023 at 2:04 AM, jmcinn97 said:

I submitted my applications for Carleton and uManitoba over the weekend. Anyone else submit theirs? :) 

I'm submitting mine in a couple days. Quick question for you on UManitoba. Was there any written submissions other than the "area of specialization" statement with a 250 word limit? I feel like I'm missing something... Carleton had the big 1500 word Statement of Intent 

Hello everyone! This forum was so incredibly helpful to me and my applications last year, so I was so happy to see their being a forum already for Fall 2024!

Last year I applied to both University of Toronto (Advanced Standing) and Toronto Metropolitan University — I was waitlisted from UOFT and sadly rejected from Toronto Met. 

However, I believe it was of my best interest, as I have been taken this year to work directly in community services and gain so much more experience. I feel as though my applications are already coming out much stronger. I graduated from my BSW from McMaster University June 2023 — so I am still fairly young and inexperienced compared to other applicants, which worries me. However, I always get reassurance from here with others in similar situations!

This year I am applying to the following universities for my MSW: 

University of Manitoba (Submitted — Awaiting Review)

Dalhousie University (Submitted — Awaiting Review)

University of Toronto (Advanced Standing)

University of British Columbia (Okanagan and Vancouver)

McMaster University

I have already submitted my applications for both Manitoba and Dalhousie, however any additional support and/or tips would be extremely welcomed. I will also be sure to come back here and post the decisions once they have been made in the early spring months, next year! 

Goodluck to everyone applying for the first time or reapplying! :) 

8 hours ago, Pizzapunx said:

I'm submitting mine in a couple days. Quick question for you on UManitoba. Was there any written submissions other than the "area of specialization" statement with a 250 word limit? I feel like I'm missing something... Carleton had the big 1500 word Statement of Intent 

I thought the exact same thing when submitting my application for UManitoba! There is no other written submission, however! Just the Area of Specialization statement. It definitely feels wrong only writing 250 words when most other programs require 1000-2000 words! 🤭

Hi Everyone, 

I would like to get some opinions on my chances of getting accepted to the following programs I have applied to:

• Wilfrid Laurier MSW (non-BSW) full-time in person program 
  • University of Toronto MSW (non-BSW) full-time in person program 

I have the following academic experience: 

• McMaster University BA psych degree with ~65% GPA 
  • Mohawk College Social Service Worker Diploma with 80% average 
  • Athabasca University psychology courses (3) with 90% average 
  • Currently taking 4 social work intro courses at University of Manitoba, currently with a 95% overall average 

I am also expected to take more Social Work related courses in Winter 2024 term:

• Enrolled to take 3 more UManitoba Indigenous and Gender studies courses
  • Enrolled to take 4 intro social work courses at University of Waterloo 

I completed 560 hours of a field placement during my Mohawk College diploma program - one at a youth shelter and one at a food bank.

I also have 3 years of experience as a Youth Mental Health Counselor and 2 years of experience as a Child Protection Worker for Children's Aid Society. Totaling 5 years of relevant full-time work experience.

If anyone has any input regarding my chances of being accepted to the above MSW programs, please let me know! 

Best of luck to all applicants for 2024 start!!!!

The short answer is, nobody knows. There are a lot of wild card variables. But if you want a very general approximate idea, this is what I found was helpful. 

Deep dive into each of those universities' websites, faq pages, and probably email them to ask how many applicants they get and how many they let in. Then you would need to find how the applications are weighted by the admissions committee. 

For example at U Manitoba FAQ says "we accept approximately 60 students (30 for the 1 Year Advanced MSW and 30 for the 2 Year Foundation MSW).  We typically receive about 150 applications for the 1 Year Advanced MSW program and about 300 applications for the 2 Year Foundation MSW program."

So using this example, I know my chances in the overall application pool are 10 percent for my situation.

Carletons FAQ states "Each year we accept approximately twenty-five students into each MSW program.  We typically receive 160-180 applications for the two year MSW program, and approximately 80 for the one year MSW."

example,So in this example if my math is correct about 14 percent of applicants get accepted, give or take.

They also use a rubric of sorts and state 1/3 of the application weight is your letter of intent, 1/3 your grades/GPA, 1/3 your human service experience hours. In addition to this diversity points are usually also considered.

I'm really reaching here, but anecdotaly speaking this discussion board is really slow and inactive this year as opposed to previous years. I'm hoping that is a good sign for all of us and there less applicants in the pool increasing all of our odds. Fingers crossed. 

Edited by Pizzapunx