MSW Canadian Applications Fall 2024

jmcinn97

Just curious if anyone has heard anything or seen their application status change for Canadian MSW Applications Fall 2024?. I checked last years 2023 Canadian Application thread and saw some activity/movement in January. 

WLU Application Submitted - (no changes)

The University of Manitoba- Application Submitted (no changes)

Carleton University Preliminary review required (no changes)

Here is Carleton's application status page as an example https://graduate.carleton.ca/application-status/

Hi everyone!

I'm applying to 4 MSW programs for Sept 2024 start!

UBCO - foundation MSW

Calgary - non-BSW stream 

WLU - part time, non-BSW

Carleton - foundation MSW

The UBCO application is due Jan 10 and I am just waiting on my referees to submit their letters. My professional reference does not currently have an institutional email address as she is currently starting a new job and does not have her email set up yet. I have tried to email admissions but have not heard back yet. Does anyone have experience with this? Will it be a problem that she is using a gmail account?

I appreciate any insight. Thanks and good luck to everyone :)

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Pizzapunx said:

Just curious if anyone has heard anything or seen their application status change for Canadian MSW Applications Fall 2024?. I checked last years 2023 Canadian Application thread and saw some activity/movement in January. 

WLU Application Submitted - (no changes)

The University of Manitoba- Application Submitted (no changes)

Carleton University Preliminary review required (no changes)

Here is Carleton's application status page as an example https://graduate.carleton.ca/application-status/

Your app status for Carleton likely has changed to "recommended for assessment" by now if you submitted everything you had to submit - you'll see that on Carleton Central (Carleton 360 doesn't really update the app status). My status changed in mid November before my last referee submitted their reference. Based on past experience, my app status for Carleton changed sometime in Feb 2023 and remained on "in review by department" until September/October 2023 when I was declined admission because I didn't get off the waitlist. So, I wouldn't expect a new app status change for Carleton until February, unless there are less applicants this year :)

Edited by jmcinn97

On 1/3/2024 at 8:42 PM, tooturntmacaroon said:

What other schools did you apply to if you don't mind me asking? :)

For MSW, just UCalgary's foundational track, which I have not heard anything from. I also applied to some MEd in Counselling as well. 

On 12/21/2023 at 10:23 AM, clinicalneuro said:

I just got my first ever acceptance!!! I got into UBCO's Foundational MSW.

This is my 3rd cycle - first time applying to Social Work.

I am over the moon - I balled my eyes out at work this morning when I got the news.

I am waiting on a couple more schools before I officially decide but I have accepted my offer. 

Congratulations! I also applied to UBCO's Foundational MSW for Sept 2024. Was your acceptance also for the upcoming Sept 2024 semester? Also, when did you apply? I guess they are sending out offers early as the deadline is Jan 10th! 

Hi everyone! Just wanted to share to those who applied to Advanced Standing MSW program at YorkU. I emailed them last week about my documents and they've emailed me back and said "application results for the Advanced Standing MSW program are expected to be available mid to late March and will continue until the program is full." Wishing best of luck to everyone!! :)

Hi all,

I am graduating with a BA in psych in April 2024. I applied to the 2-year MSW program at UofT and I am so nervous. Feb/March needs to come around ASAP!! After speaking to people in the program and others who have applied and got accepted, waitlisted, etc I am so anxious. Some have said that UofT loves research experience which made me hopeful since I don't have as much experience as other applicants, but someone who read my personal statement said it was strong and if I do get rejected its probably due to my lack of experience. Currently acting as if I got an acceptance already and began planning around it as a form of manifestation 😭 Sending good vibes to all of you who applied this cycle!! See you all in Feb/Mar 🫡

My stats: 3.7 GPA, ~ 2500 hours in social work related experience (research, paid, and volunteer), thesis project, lots of social justice and advocacy volunteer experience and student leadership on campus

On 1/14/2024 at 2:25 AM, Kaleeeeee said:

Hi all,

I am graduating with a BA in psych in April 2024. I applied to the 2-year MSW program at UofT and I am so nervous. Feb/March needs to come around ASAP!! After speaking to people in the program and others who have applied and got accepted, waitlisted, etc I am so anxious. Some have said that UofT loves research experience which made me hopeful since I don't have as much experience as other applicants, but someone who read my personal statement said it was strong and if I do get rejected its probably due to my lack of experience. Currently acting as if I got an acceptance already and began planning around it as a form of manifestation 😭 Sending good vibes to all of you who applied this cycle!! See you all in Feb/Mar 🫡

My stats: 3.7 GPA, ~ 2500 hours in social work related experience (research, paid, and volunteer), thesis project, lots of social justice and advocacy volunteer experience and student leadership on campus

I've not applied to uToronto, but I'm also currently manifesting an acceptance to Carleton lol. Your application definitely sounds strong! I know someone who had similar experience and got accepted, so I'm manifesting an acceptance for you. Good luck, love! ❤️ :) 

Hello! I hope everyone is doing well, and good luck with all the applications this year! :) 

Does anyone know when admission decisions begin to be released for the University of British Columbia Okanagan's (UBCO) MSW Advanced Standing program begin to be released? 

On 1/15/2024 at 5:54 PM, jmcinn97 said:

I've not applied to uToronto, but I'm also currently manifesting an acceptance to Carleton lol. Your application definitely sounds strong! I know someone who had similar experience and got accepted, so I'm manifesting an acceptance for you. Good luck, love! ❤️ :) 

Thank you so much for the reassurance ❤️ Manifesting the same for you! Carleton is an amazing choice, best of luck to you as well 🥰

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, hopefulmsw123 said:

Ah I am getting so impatient waiting for results! I keep coming here to check to see if anyone has heard (I know we likely won't until later this month/March).

Me too!! I'm so anxious idk how to cope after applying to the 2-year program. Advanced standing applicants hear back first 😭

Hi there! Based on last year, most people started getting results around Feb 16th. I noticed the forum for 2024 is quite smaller, hope that means there wasn’t as many applicants 😝 I put all my eggs in 1 basket so I’m nervous but also trying to be a realist 🫠

6 hours ago, Socialwork1996 said:

Hi there! Based on last year, most people started getting results around Feb 16th. I noticed the forum for 2024 is quite smaller, hope that means there wasn’t as many applicants 😝 I put all my eggs in 1 basket so I’m nervous but also trying to be a realist 🫠

Where did you apply to? Best of luck! 

4 minutes ago, Socialwork1996 said:

Waterloo! The health specialization is a dream of mine…however I’m aware that it’s hard to get in first time applying 🤦🏼‍♀️

Ouuu me too!!!! Best of luck :) . So many people get accepted their first time applying! 

58 minutes ago, Socialwork1996 said:

Waterloo! The health specialization is a dream of mine…however I’m aware that it’s hard to get in first time applying 🤦🏼‍♀️

I applied there too. Did you apply FT or PT? The website indicates that we will hear back in March (?)