MSW Canadian Applications Fall 2024

jmcinn97

16 hours ago, ctran said:

Hi everyone!

I'm so glad I came across this forum and was able to get some peer support just by reading the posts here! And congrats to everyone who's already received offers from schools, that's such exciting news!!

Has anyone heard back from Waterloo's full-time program yet? And if so, where on Quest can you see your status? For some reason, my Quest just shows me my documents and that they've been submitted, but that's all. Curious to know what other people are seeing on their Quest!

I've also applied to both UBCV and UBCO advanced programs - I haven't seen many posts for UBC, has anyone else here applied, or heard back from them?

Such nerve-wracking but exciting times, good luck to everyone :)

I applied to the full time program. On the first page, don’t click documents, click your MSW application. Then, your screen will say  “Status” or something, and it’ll say either there has been no decision on your application yet, “admit” for acceptance, or “deny” if you’re denied admission! 

1 hour ago, Pizzapunx said:

Email just out from Carleton. All applications have now been reviewed and admissions decisions will start trickling in over the next few weeks.

^ did anyone else get nervous reading the part of many of you will be disappointed and we hope you will be more successful with your application to other MSW programs

13 minutes ago, Spaceyy said:

^ did anyone else get nervous reading the part of many of you will be disappointed and we hope you will be more successful with your application to other MSW programs

omg did they actually write this!?

6 minutes ago, ncaqua said:

omg did they actually write this!?

YES. Like it is true for me as I already have an acceptance elsewhere but Carleton is one of my top choices and that email made my stomach drop lol even though I'm sure it was meant to be reassuring and motivating. 

18 hours ago, Spaceyy said:

I definitely felt nervous receiving that email! I hope soon they release admissions/ results 

Got waitlisted for Carleton's non BSW program for the second time :'). Considering the fact that they send offers out to 35 people it makes sense that more than 10 declines are needed for offers to be made to people on the waitlist. I calculated and since they made offers to 9 people on the waitlist last year and the program is only big enough for a cohort of 25 people each year, that means 19 applicants rejected their offers last year. (meaning 16 people accepted their offers and they needed to fill the cohort which explains why they made offers to 9 people on the waitlist). Either way, good luck to anyone who's also on the waitlist, and I hope you receive positive results from the other schools you applied to :)

Edited by jmcinn97

Regarding Calgary MSW:

Acceptance rate for non-BSW students this year is 17-19 students/cohort. Was told they're keeping it low because in year 2, non-BSW students join the cohort for a total class size of about 30 through the remainder of the program. The fMSW waitlist is "significantly longer" than spots available, they won't get through it. However, it's moving. Final day for acceptance of 1st round offers was 16 Feb 2024. They're going down the waitlist list now.

Disclosure: I was accepted off the waitlist yesterday :) 

Edited by Cedar_and_Oak

23 minutes ago, Kai2224 said:

Did anyone else’s Carleton status get changed to something like “in review by faculty of graduate and postdoctoral affairs”? I’m not sure if this is standard or a good sign!

Based on previous year's forums, this was a good sign for people, so it is likely one for you as well. 

3 hours ago, jmcinn97 said:

Got waitlisted for Carleton's non BSW program for the second time :'). Considering the fact that they send offers out to 35 people it makes sense that more than 10 declines are needed for offers to be made to people on the waitlist. I calculated and since they made offers to 9 people on the waitlist last year and the program is only big enough for a cohort of 25 people each year, that means 19 applicants rejected their offers last year. (meaning 16 people accepted their offers and they needed to fill the cohort which explains why they made offers to 9 people on the waitlist). Either way, good luck to anyone who's also on the waitlist, and I hope you receive positive results from the other schools you applied to :)

My god thats crazy 😭 I knew Carleton was competitive but I didn't know the cohorts were that small. I hope you squeeze in!!! ❤️

I was denied entry into the U Waterloo full-time program today, and I am a bit flabbergasted. I will graduate with my BSW in May of this year, and my current GPA is 4.08/4.50 (second degree). I have all As and A+'s. I have over 44 0000 hours of experience (13 years in child welfare, 6 of those as a Child Protection Worker and 9 years working in addictions and mental health). I know my references were strong.  I based my statement of intent on a policy paper on which I got an A+. Waterloo is not my first choice, and I still have two other outstanding programs, but it has set me back. 

For those who were admitted, may I ask you what your stats are? I am shocked that I did not even get waitlisted. I was at least waitlisted a year ago when I applied for the WLU PT regular track.  

Edited by canadiandmbfan
grammar

17 hours ago, Kai2224 said:

Did anyone else’s Carleton status get changed to something like “in review by faculty of graduate and postdoctoral affairs”? I’m not sure if this is standard or a good sign!

Hi mine also showed the same updates. Did you receive an email yet? Not sure how much longer we need to wait. Thank you. 

1 minute ago, iceeee said:

Hi mine also showed the same updates. Did you receive an email yet? Not sure how much longer we need to wait. Thank you. 

Not yet! I was just checking on my lunch break. I'm hoping to hear before end of day or it will be a looongg weekend. Good luck!

5 minutes ago, LizzieF. said:

Did anyone else get an invite, plus showing a deposit due on Acorn for UOFT? What does that mean?? I don't see any email or anything on the admission page.

For what program and stream?