MSW Canadian Applications Fall 2024

jmcinn97

Hi there,

I hope that your MSW applications are going well!!!

As one who is just finishing up the MSWWP program at uWindsor, I wish I could tell you that it all will work out how it is meant to. 

Also just curious if anyone has applied for any PhD social work programs and has insight into wait times? I applied to uWindsor and I am waiting to hear back....wish me luck!!!!!!

Hello everyone! Yesterday, I received an acceptance from U Manitoba for the Advanced Standing MSW program! :) 

Much earlier than I had initially expected and they are only giving until March 4th to accept or reject the acceptance. I just wondered how people get around this, when you have not heard from other schools you have applied for (e.g., U Manitoba is not my top choice school and I want to see if I get accepted into other schools, but I also do not want to lose my place for the MSW program in Manitoba). Any thoughts on this? 

13 minutes ago, Madison Stewart said:

Hello everyone! Yesterday, I received an acceptance from U Manitoba for the Advanced Standing MSW program! :) 

Much earlier than I had initially expected and they are only giving until March 4th to accept or reject the acceptance. I just wondered how people get around this, when you have not heard from other schools you have applied for (e.g., U Manitoba is not my top choice school and I want to see if I get accepted into other schools, but I also do not want to lose my place for the MSW program in Manitoba). Any thoughts on this? 

Typically, the best practice is to just accept the offer you have and then if you get accepted elsewhere, you’d just email the admissions or whomever (usually they say who) to then decline your offer! It’s best to accept, just in case your other admissions don’t pan out so you’re not stuck with going no where! There’s no penalty for declining at a later date, aside from maybe losing out on a deposit if the school requires one with acceptance. 

3 hours ago, bookworm247 said:

I am still seeing “no decision made” for the MSW program at UWaterloo. I wonder if you folks who got acceptances got early acceptances? Or if they are going out in batches all week?

No idea, it was never stated if it was early or not. It sounds like it’s batches, but I’m not sure in what way!

Hi Everyone! Just got my acceptance earlier today to University of Windsor MSW 2 year steam and it included a Scholarship for first year🙂 Wanted to connect with others who also got in!

Also need some advice as they only gave 21 days to accept or decline and I am still waiting to hear back from the following schools below, but the time lines might not add up and I'm not sure if I should accept Windsor on their deadline if I don't hear back in time from anywhere else? I would ideally like to weight multiple pros and cons of the various schools before making a decision.

I also applied to Carleton MSW- should be hearing back soon in Feb

Western MSW- the website said you'll hear back by march

Mc Master Psychotherapy -got shortlisted and did the interview and they said decisions will be announced in March

And lastly OISE counselling psych - website had no estimate of timeline of hearing back.

1 hour ago, Spaceyy said:

Hi Everyone! Just got my acceptance earlier today to University of Windsor MSW 2 year steam and it included a Scholarship for first year🙂 Wanted to connect with others who also got in!

Also need some advice as they only gave 21 days to accept or decline and I am still waiting to hear back from the following schools below, but the time lines might not add up and I'm not sure if I should accept Windsor on their deadline if I don't hear back in time from anywhere else? I would ideally like to weight multiple pros and cons of the various schools before making a decision.

I also applied to Carleton MSW- should be hearing back soon in Feb

Western MSW- the website said you'll hear back by march

Mc Master Psychotherapy -got shortlisted and did the interview and they said decisions will be announced in March

And lastly OISE counselling psych - website had no estimate of timeline of hearing back.

It's best to accept your offer at uWindsor while you wait to hear back from other schools! That way, if you receive rejections, you'll at least have a spot at uWindsor. If you accept the offer, and then receive an offer from a program/school that you believe has more pros than the program at uWindsor, then you can contact them and reject the previously accepted offer to accept an offer somewhere else. 

Ps: congratulations on your acceptance! I'm also waiting to hear back from Carleton, fingers crossed we both get favorable news :) 

Edited by jmcinn97

16 hours ago, wilkmil said:

I just received an offer from UBCO, FT 2-year foundational. Surprised by how early they are released

Congratulations!!! I also applied for the program hut didn't hear anything yet. Did they send you an email? Do you mind sharing your initial for your last name? Not sure if they follow the alphabetical order....Thank you!!!

34 minutes ago, iceeee said:

Congratulations!!! I also applied for the program hut didn't hear anything yet. Did they send you an email? Do you mind sharing your initial for your last name? Not sure if they follow the alphabetical order....Thank you!!!

Yes they sent an email. My initial is M.

22 hours ago, tooturntmacaroon said:

Typically, the best practice is to just accept the offer you have and then if you get accepted elsewhere, you’d just email the admissions or whomever (usually they say who) to then decline your offer! It’s best to accept, just in case your other admissions don’t pan out so you’re not stuck with going no where! There’s no penalty for declining at a later date, aside from maybe losing out on a deposit if the school requires one with acceptance. 

Thank you so much! I was worried this might be looked down upon. But I most definitely do not want to lose my spot in the program! :) 

Thank you all for posting as you receive responses...I'm still waiting for Waterloo online, UofT and Laurier in person Indigenous MSW and while I wait it helps to be cheering you all on!

In case anyone is curious, I applied to part-time at Dalhousie, UofT and Waterloo but still have not heard back.

1 hour ago, tooturntmacaroon said:

I was accepted to Waterloo, but I heard a lot of people haven’t gotten responses yet! It’s interesting how this works. 

Part time or full time? 

16 hours ago, jmcinn97 said:

It's best to accept your offer at uWindsor while you wait to hear back from other schools! That way, if you receive rejections, you'll at least have a spot at uWindsor. If you accept the offer, and then receive an offer from a program/school that you believe has more pros than the program at uWindsor, then you can contact them and reject the previously accepted offer to accept an offer somewhere else. 

Ps: congratulations on your acceptance! I'm also waiting to hear back from Carleton, fingers crossed we both get favorable news :) 

Hi thank you so much! Let me know when you hear back from Carleton, sending everyone good vibes that we get into the schools we want!

Hi everyone!

I'm so glad I came across this forum and was able to get some peer support just by reading the posts here! And congrats to everyone who's already received offers from schools, that's such exciting news!!

Has anyone heard back from Waterloo's full-time program yet? And if so, where on Quest can you see your status? For some reason, my Quest just shows me my documents and that they've been submitted, but that's all. Curious to know what other people are seeing on their Quest!

I've also applied to both UBCV and UBCO advanced programs - I haven't seen many posts for UBC, has anyone else here applied, or heard back from them?

Such nerve-wracking but exciting times, good luck to everyone :)

10 hours ago, ctran said:

Hi everyone!

I'm so glad I came across this forum and was able to get some peer support just by reading the posts here! And congrats to everyone who's already received offers from schools, that's such exciting news!!

Has anyone heard back from Waterloo's full-time program yet? And if so, where on Quest can you see your status? For some reason, my Quest just shows me my documents and that they've been submitted, but that's all. Curious to know what other people are seeing on their Quest!

I've also applied to both UBCV and UBCO advanced programs - I haven't seen many posts for UBC, has anyone else here applied, or heard back from them?

Such nerve-wracking but exciting times, good luck to everyone :)

Beside the documents tab, there is application. Click or tap on Application and it will pop up any decision made regarding admission.