-
Posts
204 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Everything posted by farnsworth
-
ceramic plate (tectonics has me beaten)
-
half life
-
pie plate
-
It is now my mission to go there one day. I don't know when, but I will be there at some point.
-
What were you doing when you received your acceptance?
farnsworth replied to YA_RLY's topic in Waiting it Out
I was sitting in the living room and just got off the computer. Then my phone buzzed for an incoming email and I saw it there. -
Is it corny for grad students to wear their grad university's paraphernalia?
farnsworth replied to PFitz's topic in The Lobby
If you are proud of your grad school, then it is not corny at all. Or if you are a hipster, you can wear the stuff ironically. -
string theory
-
space jam
-
clean sheets
-
What people said when you told them you were accepted...
farnsworth replied to crv7867's topic in The Lobby
My dog cocked her head sideways and looked at me funny. Other people, "It's cold there." -
magic hat
-
split brain
-
Just Cause
-
old timer
-
****IVY LEAGUE (M.S.) vs STATE SCHOOL (Ph.D.)****
farnsworth replied to oboeking4314's topic in Decisions, Decisions
Sounds like you made the right choice. Congratulations and enjoy grad school. -
toy train
-
happy dance (happy happy joy joy)
-
I graduated with a BA and was no where near close to get into a PhD. I got into a MS program and after that I applied to PhD. 0 acceptances. I did some adjunct instructor work this past year (which helped my cv). I got into a PhD program this time. So not getting into a PhD right out of bachelors is not the end of the world. Go through the masters and make sure it is what you want to do with your life. Then if you want to go through with the PhD, you will have grad school experience, more research experience, and (especially if you have to take another year off and do adjunct work like me) maybe some teaching experience.
-
frog legs
-
I am angry with myself now. Props to you mooncake. I am going to take a mulligan and go for it just below this. GOOD NEWS EVERYONE! I got off a wait list. Just isn't as good as it should have been.
-
****IVY LEAGUE (M.S.) vs STATE SCHOOL (Ph.D.)****
farnsworth replied to oboeking4314's topic in Decisions, Decisions
Like most others have said, your research interests should guide you. *Personally, I would go with Penn State if a Ph.D. is the goal. Lots of other variables come into play if you go to a terminal masters. You may build your resume into the top candidate while at Cornell, or you may not do as well as you hoped and other strong candidates may come along. The masters then reapplying to Ph.D. is a gamble, but if you are as strong of a candidate as you seem to be, then it probably is not a real risk. I know this does not really help in your decision process, but... I got nothing. *I do want to make it clear that I do not know all of the variables in your situation and thus can only give my perspective of being desperate to get into a Ph.D. program. -
leap year
-
Got an email about an hour ago from POI telling me I got in off the wait list. It had been about 2 weeks since I last heard from them and emailed them this morning asking for an update. Best update I ever got.
-
new model
-
basic training
