Jump to content

1Q84

Members
  • Posts

    1,327
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    23

Everything posted by 1Q84

  1. Soooo.... I took the GRE on Nov 9. Most MA applications for the schools I'm applying to close Nov 30. It takes 10-15 days to receive scores in my online account. I read somewhere it takes 3 weeks to send scores out to schools. 9 to 30 is exactly 3 weeks but could be more if they, like many mean, mean corporations mean 3 weeks in business days. Am I kind of screwed or what?
  2. Thanks for the kind words! Wait, what?
  3. Monkeys on typewriters aside, I think there's nothing wrong with a less than straight-forward SOP opener either. I mean it doesn't have to be a feat of verbal prestidigitation (thank you, GRE!) but something a little less dry than "I am applying for XYZ" can't hurt either. Opening with a non-obvious quote can be subtle enough to show that you have an interdisciplinary bent, perhaps. I'm using a Latin quote from Tacitus in my application for English Lit because I majored in Latin in undergrad and also because that language skill is related to/important to my proposed field of study.
  4. I say do it! What have you got to lose... it'll show extra initiative on your part that you'd take such a trip. Side note: I flew from Toronto to Hong Kong for 48 hours for a 30 minute job interview (on my own dime), and they were, needless to say, impressed.
  5. It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times...
  6. Yeah, I remember seeing at the end that I got 169 V and 140 something for Q but then again my brain was so scrambled, I could've remembered anything... After I got out, I wandered around in a daze and got lost 4 times in a subway station I know like the back of my hand. Talk about being drained! So now my mind is playing tricks with me and convincing me I got 161 instead. I wanted to check by phone but they charge $12 per call! I guess this thread title is quite apt in describing how I feel right now... Damn you, ETS!
  7. Good lord... glad I don't have to take the subject test yet :/ hope you all did well enough ... So does it take 10-15 days for scores to post online for the General Test? Being as neurotic as I am, I've been constantly checking my ETS account and my scores still aren't up (I took it on Friday night).
  8. JUST FINISHED! NEVER AGAIN! well.... not for a little while at least.... I thought I did awful after my first section of Verbal but I think maybe that was the experimental set because there was one absolutely wacko question that was a really tricky logic question, which I don't think was fair. It was barely a comprehension question, more of a brain teaser...
  9. I just finished mine! I studied really hard (because I had never done a standardised test in my life) about 3 months ago. Then, as it usually happens, life got in the way and I hadn't so much as touched my study materials until today. I sequestered myself in the library for 4 hours before my test to brush up with my Princeton Review. I also did the free online Manhattan Prep test from their website (for a second time) just to get into the mood. I got a 169 V and something abysmal like 140 something (which is to be expected) on Q. As a caveat, I don't fancy myself a genius by any means but I did major in Latin, which had me knowing 80% of Princeton Review's "Hit Parade" before I began studying. I still think it was my main advantage. PS. I only used the Princeton Review book. Never used any other brand....
  10. 1Q84

    November Elections

    Not taking the high road: suck on that, Andromache.
  11. 1Q84

    November Elections

    Not sure if you saw yet but apparently New Jersey citizens affected by Sandy can vote via email. I just hope a majority will choose to take that opportunity instead of not being bothered. I mean... I'm sure they're going through a hell of a time rebuilding/surviving but... some long-range planning (for the next 4 years) will definitely serve well other types of recovery that America sorely needs.
  12. 1Q84

    November Elections

    First of all, I am not and never was under any illusion that Obama's feel good "Hope" stuff was anything more than very shrewd opportunism. So spare me the "this is exactly what you're supposed to believe" tin foil hat rhetoric. As a matter of interest, Obama has been and most likely will serve the majority of Americans' interest better than Romney. Romney will do all the awful cloak-and-dagger, militaristic aggressor sh** that Obama has PLUS fu** up the lives of a majority of people to boot. The age old "lesser of two evils" thing. They both are and ever will be products of the ever-decaying system. Does America need a new political voting system? Most definitely. Are both of the candidates iterations of everything we've seen before? Of course. Does that mean you, as citizen, pull out of the system and do nothing? I hope not. How about you suggest something proactive instead of simply calling voters "tools"? Naw. Now that would just be too much effort. It's better to be an cynical, armchair politico. I can't believe you wrote this and are voting Republican. It really blows my mind. The fact cannot be ignored that the man is intent on, and has been very vocal about (until he flip-flopped, that is) destroying much of the social progress that the US has made in recent years. That is enough of a reason to not vote for him. Continually asking me to be open-minded while touting a candidate who is the definition of close-minded is just too much for me. You should be giving that speech to your candidate.
  13. 1Q84

    November Elections

    I'm not defending Obama's militaristic side, but, on the whole, these are "combatants" and "aggressors", are they not? That, at least, never seemed up for debate--at least from that article. Foreign policy is foreign policy. Domestic policy is domestic policy. Romney, on the other hand, is persecuting women and homosexuals because of his own backwards prejudice. Killing--no, but as Andromache has said, he would continue the same grand tradition that Obama is currently touting. Cleaner conscience? Hardly. So. So. So. Very. Ironic.... Cannot compute.
  14. 1Q84

    November Elections

    If by politically correct you mean being a decent, kind human being then I guess you're right. Considering Romney has been touting sexist, homophobic and racist policies, I can't begin to imagine why you'd vote him other than prejudice against those that he's persecuting (including being a self-loathing woman).
  15. 1Q84

    November Elections

    http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/08/second-straight-poll-suggests-debate-bump-for-romney/?hpt=hp_bn3 :/
  16. I'm applying for Masters programs. The CSU ones open Oct 1 (today! eeks!) and close Nov 30. Will it be too late for me to take the GRE in October (or even early November)?
  17. Yes, too. Only applying to schools in LA and surrounding area because my partner lives there. Though I think my situation is somewhat different than most people. We see each other about once or twice a year because of time and financial restraints (Toronto <-> LA) so we're more than used to the long distance... but the grad school thing is supposed to end that once and for all!
  18. 1Q84

    November Elections

    Nancy Pelosi's dismissive comment about Romney recent has me fearing that lazy Democrats (ie. a large majority) across America will just kick back and wait for Obama to get re-elected. Seriously scary. Everyone go out and vote and make everyone you know vote too!
  19. Don't know if anyone mentioned it yet but No Country for Old Men is of course an amazing book and the Coen Brother's adaptation is just as good!
  20. I guess we're staying well out of each other's spheres of application haha!
  21. It all depends on what type of PhD program you want to enter, of course. Is it a "Top 20"? Although that might be on the lower end of a competitive GRE score for "Top 20" schools, like everyone always says around here, there are no guarantees. There are plenty of stories of people who have overcome poor scores and been accepted at their dream schools. Most professors I've spoken to have been emphatic that the GRE is going to be the least important deciding factor for adcomms. Just wow them in every other part of the application and hope for the best. (PS. I'm not sure if you've taken professional prep courses for the GRE. Maybe that's something you should consider if the GRE score is really stressing you out. I personally don't think that's worth it, but others might attest differently.)
  22. Which funded M.A.'s are you applying to, if you don't mind telling. Ah, thanks! CSU:LA offers tuition waivers... I don't think it is fully funded but it's a large portion of it. Yes, we spoke about this before! (I had a different username then). The problem is I don't have the funds for Northridge... I was told that I'm already guaranteed a spot there. What a dilemma.
  23. This made me spit out my coffee. Ha!
  24. I had issues with figuring out what courses were being counted as well. What I did was I called the grad secretaries from the schools I applied to and asked them directly. One of them very kindly offered to take a look at my transcript right away and determine which courses that particular school would be looking at. Some courses that I thought were "upper level" and would be counted, it turns out, would not be. If you want some solid answers, go straight to the school.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use