Applying to Two Programs at Same School

Jung@Heart

I applied to a clinical psych program that was due December 1st. Since then Ive learned that a cognitive scientist at the same school is working an a research project that I feel is a perfect match for my back ground. This application is due on Jan 15th. What are your opinions of applying to two programs at the same school being that both of my SOPs will naturally be structured toward each professor. I dont want to be seen as dishonest or desperate.

I'm doing it. In psychology, I feel this is very common. Clinical programs need methodologists, I/O's need social psychologists,  cognitive needs neuro- the list goes on. Programs are looking for fit but they also are looking for intellectual curiosity. The biggest concern should be your own. As long as you can find an area that you're passionate about within the program, and you know the programs can support you- go for it. 

I am as well. You shouldn't be seen as dishonest or desperate. If anything, adcomms will see this as a sign that you're committed to their institution. 

One thing you may want to consider, though, is reaching out to a trusted professor/POI in one or both departments, or a current advisor who might be able to ensure your fair hearing on both committees. I was warned that occasionally, adcomms can be reviewing an application, see that a candidate is applying to two departments within the same school, and just 'assume' the other department will admit them without ever picking up the phone. To mitigate this, you may want to ask/talk to your advisor about how you can ask that both committees communicate with one another re: their decision on your application.  

23 minutes ago, Jung@Heart said:

Thanks guys. I sent the coordinator an email explaining the situation since she'll see my second application anyway. With these applications theres such a sense that the process is a house of cards and one misstep will bring the whole thing down. 

Well she was curt. Ah, this is nerve wracking.

On 1/12/2018 at 12:03 PM, Jung@Heart said:

Well she was curt. Ah, this is nerve wracking.

Don't read too much into it. She likely gets upwards of several admissions-related emails a day and won't remember yours, even if she does play into your admissions decision (which is doubtful). 

I get that 'house of cards' feeling. One thing I read on here that helps me is that no one has the perfect application or conducted their application process 'perfectly' (whatever that even means). If one misstep or deviation were all it took, no one would ever get into grad school. 

On 1/12/2018 at 7:29 AM, Jung@Heart said:

clinical psych program...cognitive scientist. I dont want to be seen as dishonest or desperate.

Well to some extent the issue is that these can lead to very different career paths. Do you want to be a clinician or a researcher? Not saying you're doing this, but there have been students who use experimental programs to backdoor into clinical areas because they think it will be easier to get into the experimental program and then transfer after a year or two.  Experimental areas are wary about this.

That said, I get that people aren't always settled on a subfield when they're applying. I applied to both cognitive and social streams--but those are both experimental. 

Most importantly, assume that people talk to each other so don't write anything that you wouldn't want the other to hear about. e.g., "I want to be a clinician." 

You sent the coordinator an email -- like a non-faculty staff person? Honestly they're likely to be curt because they're dealing with a few hundred applications and aren't involved with the decisions anyway.

In my opinion, because clinical and experimental are so different, I think you're better off committing to one path. But that's just me. If you're going to email somebody, email the faculty member whose application is due soon and say (a) you've already applied for the clinical program but are also interested in their research area (b) you're primarily interested in research so an experimental, non-clinical program is also very appealing to you.

I went to OISE's open house this year.  A prof in the department told me that if you apply to, say, SCCP and DPE in APHD, that's one thing and is generally fine.  But if you apply to SCCP in APHD and another program completely unrelated but still under the umbrella of OISE, they are going to question that, even through the OISE application allows you to apply for up to three programs.  I wish they had the option to only apply for (and pay for!) one department instead of the option to apply for three.

Edited by Piagetsky

On 1/12/2018 at 8:29 AM, Jung@Heart said:

I applied to a clinical psych program that was due December 1st. Since then Ive learned that a cognitive scientist at the same school is working an a research project that I feel is a perfect match for my back ground. This application is due on Jan 15th. What are your opinions of applying to two programs at the same school being that both of my SOPs will naturally be structured toward each professor. I dont want to be seen as dishonest or desperate.

I'm doing this at two schools, but in both situations, they are programs similar to each other. Got an interview at one, and at the other, the POI recommended that I apply to the second program! So it is not necessarily bad at all! Sometimes it is encouraged!