Interview at Samford

I interviewed here last year. We interviewed with 3 different faculty. They start off by asking you to tell them a little about yourself. Questions they asked were how we deal with conflict or stressful situations. I can't really remember fully every question, but a lot of hands on questions. Good luck! PS everyone was super friendly and it made the interview process go by smoothly. 

As a student at Samford University Com-Dis, please reconsider your decision to attend this university. They are great at selling their program, but a program that has lost 6 students in one cohort is not a program you should consider. If I could do this again, I would have never attended this university. My favorite part of being interviewed last March is when they were like, "Oh, we want to keep you because if we don't keep you then we won't get certified." Please, reconsider and go to any program except this one. Coming from a person who is a friend of someone that got dismissed this program is a terrible experience. 

19 minutes ago, uncannywriter said:

As a student at Samford University Com-Dis, please reconsider your decision to attend this university. They are great at selling their program, but a program that has lost 6 students in one cohort is not a program you should consider. If I could do this again, I would have never attended this university. My favorite part of being interviewed last March is when they were like, "Oh, we want to keep you because if we don't keep you then we won't get certified." Please, reconsider and go to any program except this one. Coming from a person who is a friend of someone that got dismissed this program is a terrible experience. 

Hey I read through your longer post about Samford. Could you further explain how they lost 6 students. Did the students fail out or did they leave on their own accord? 

Three left on their own accord and three failed. Which is abnormal for a masters program if you research into others. The only reason I'm making this post is that I honestly want people to reconsider going to this school. 

Edited by uncannywriter

3 minutes ago, uncannywriter said:

Three left on their own accord and three failed. Which is abnormal for a masters program if you research into others. 

Yeah no I understand that is abnormal especially if these are students who come from CD undergrad. Thank you for your input! Are you in your first year at Samford? I’ve applied to tons of schools so I’m waiting to hear back from others! 

I'm a first year and I wish you the best of luck! It's so stressful getting into schools.  I turned down three other schools to go to Samford (well established ones) so you could imagine my frustration :/ 

Edited by uncannywriter

Their first semester they lost 5 students. One left before classes started to attend another university, one supposedly left on her own, another 3 "failed" out. By failed, I mean one student submitted an assignment but uploaded the rubric. While the professor's syllabus states that the student had three days to upload the assignment and receive partial credit, the professor replied on the third day and informed the student that they received a zero for the assignment (which was a final project). That same student also received a poor grade on a final assignment for another class where the professor openly admitted to several other students that she didn't even read the students' papers. The 6th student withdrew the fall semester due to the program holding them back from attending placements and had them do their clinic at the university (which they even stated at orientation that this was not an option since they aren't fully accredited). They essentially set this student up for failure so they decided to leave before they could essentially kick her out. While they haven't lost more, almost half of those that are left are on academic probation. 

Edited by SLPcanmakeutalk

4 minutes ago, SLPcanmakeutalk said:

Their first semester they lost 5 students. One left before classes started to attend another university, one supposedly left on her own, another 3 "failed" out. By failed, I mean one student submitted an assignment but uploaded the rubric. While the professor's syllabus states that the student had three days to upload the assignment and receive partial credit, the professor replied on the third day and informed the student that they received a zero for the assignment (which was a final project). That same student also received a poor grade on a final assignment for another class where the professor openly admitted to several other students that she didn't even read the students' papers. The 6th student withdrew the fall semester due to the program holding them back from attending placements and had them do their clinic at the university (which they even stated at orientation that this was not an option since they aren't fully accredited). They essentially set this student up for failure so they decided to leave before they could essentially kick her out. While they haven't lost more, almost half of those that are left are on academic probation. 

Interesting, thank you for your input! This sounds like a failure on the professors at the university!

9 minutes ago, Avschilling said:

Interesting, thank you for your input! This sounds like a failure on the professors at the university!

It really is. They know how to make their program seem flawless during the interview, but they've lost their focus because they're attempting to start an audiology program as well. Students have recognized their inability to communicate with one another and ultimately have hurt their students. 

3 minutes ago, SLPcanmakeutalk said:

It really is. They know how to make their program seem flawless during the interview, but they've lost their focus because they're attempting to start an audiology program as well. Students have recognized their inability to communicate with one another and ultimately have hurt their students. 

When I go to this interview I will be sure to bring this all up, especially if I get to meet current students like they have allowed in the past. You would think that the because the program is on the line they would pay more attention to the students complaints. 

18 minutes ago, uncannywriter said:

I'm a first year and I wish you the best of luck! It's so stressful getting into schools.  I turned down three other schools to go to Samford (well established ones) so you could imagine my frustration :/ 

Thank you! I’m sorry you’re stuck in an awful situation! 

3 minutes ago, Avschilling said:

When I go to this interview I will be sure to bring this all up, especially if I get to meet current students like they have allowed in the past. You would think that the because the program is on the line they would pay more attention to the students complaints. 

You would think! However, I'm not sure if current students will be at the interviews this year. As far as I know, they haven't been notified about when the interviews are or how long they would last. If they were like last year they could potentially schedule these interviews during the days these students need to be at their clinic sites. This program is very sketchy and I wouldn't put it past them. 

You would think! However, I'm not sure if current students will be at the interviews this year. As far as I know, they haven't been notified about when the interviews are or how long they would last. If they were like last year they could potentially schedule these interviews during the days these students need to be at their clinic sites. This program is very sketchy and I wouldn't put it past them. 

They’re scheduled February 13/15th from 8am-12 pm! 

24 minutes ago, SLPcanmakeutalk said:

How are they even still up for accreditation from ASHA?? I know grad programs have been put on probation for less... 

4 minutes ago, snoves said:

How are they even still up for accreditation from ASHA?? I know grad programs have been put on probation for less... 

It's probably because the students are afraid to contact ASHA. Even voicing their complaints to the new program director didn't solve any problems. 

4 minutes ago, Avschilling said:

That’s very shady

I completely agree! So, when it comes to the part of the interview where they ask if you have questions, you now have plenty if current students aren't present. I'm sorry to deter you from this program, but I'd like to save you the time and money (and honestly the tears too). 

I completely agree! So, when it comes to the part of the interview where they ask if you have questions, you now have plenty if current students aren't present. I'm sorry to deter you from this program, but I'd like to save you the time and money (and honestly the tears too). 

No thank you very much! I’ll be sure to prepare my questions in advance!