Vanderbilt Peabody 2018

birdy-bear

There have been threads for a few other schools this year, but no thread yet for Vanderbilt. Let's get this party started! ?

What program did you apply to at Vanderbilt, and what other schools did you apply to? Where have you heard back from so far?  

I applied to Vanderbilt's Ph.D. in Special Education (Early Childhood), and it's the only program I applied to this year. This has historically been the week that interview invites have gone out for SPED students, so I've been anxiously checking the portal ten times a day for official news. ?

I receieved my M.Ed. a few years ago in Vandy's SPED program (and loved it so much that it's my top and only choice)--if you have any questions about that program, Peabody, or Nashville in general, I'm happy to share what I know! 

Edited by birdy-bear

18 hours ago, Cassangh1 said:

Hello! I have applied for the special education masters and have a conference call set up- as you had graduated from the masters do you have any helpful tips ? :) 

im nervous! 

They didn't do interviews when I applied a few years ago, so that's either something new the department is doing, or there's something else going on. I over-prepared for what I thought was a phone interview with the Child Studies department, and it turned out to be a recruitment phone call! While I don't have any insights into what you might expect, I can tell you that every faculty member in the SPED department is warm and welcoming, and I think no matter who you interview with, they'll immediately put you at ease. :) What's your program area? If you have any questions too personal for this public forum, feel free to DM me.

For anyone who missed it, @K2018 posted this useful info in the "Waiting It Out" forum. I'm so happy that the interview weekend is now a recruitment weekend--the wait may be over much sooner than expected!

19 hours ago, K2018 said:

I was accepted to CRA and found out about two weeks ago. Official letters are going to be mailed next week. I'm not the person who posted in the results section but I think I found out around the same time that she did. Also, what was formerly an interview weekend in February is now going to be a recruitment weekend for admitted students. It's scheduled for the 15th-18th. 

Edited by birdy-bear

6 hours ago, singapore_sling said:

Anybody heard back about PhD interviews for Vandy yet?

@singapore_sling, I received an acceptance letter (via e-mail) for the SPED Ph.D. program on Monday, and it looks like another person received an acceptance letter for the CRA program on Monday. I received an invitation for the recruitment weekend (also via e-mail) a few hours before the official letter came through.

1 hour ago, birdy-bear said:

@singapore_sling, I received an acceptance letter (via e-mail) for the SPED Ph.D. program on Monday, and it looks like another person received an acceptance letter for the CRA program on Monday. I received an invitation for the recruitment weekend (also via e-mail) a few hours before the official letter came through.

Congratulations!!!! That is super exciting! :D 

On 1/24/2018 at 8:47 AM, Waiting&Hoping2018 said:

Congratulations!!!! That is super exciting! :D 

Thank you!! I'm over the moon. :wub: Have you received news from any of the programs you applied to? 

On 1/24/2018 at 10:45 AM, sarkat said:

Hello! I got accepted to the CRA program. So happy to see this thread going :D

Congratulations!! Do you think you'll attend, or are you still waiting to hear back from other programs?

Edited by birdy-bear

20 minutes ago, birdy-bear said:

Thank you!! I'm over the moon. :wub: Have you received news from any of the programs you applied to? 

Congratulations!! Do you think you'll attend, or are you still waiting to hear back from other programs?

I'm waiting to hear back from other programs - I have an offer at MSU in Education Policy and at UMN in Comparative Education. I'm really lucky to have this dilemma, but it is quite hard to decide!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 1/21/2018 at 11:32 AM, birdy-bear said:

They didn't do interviews when I applied a few years ago, so that's either something new the department is doing, or there's something else going on. I over-prepared for what I thought was a phone interview with the Child Studies department, and it turned out to be a recruitment phone call!

Hi birdy-bear, I realize this is several years after the fact, but when you were contacted about the phone interview / recruitment phone call for the Child Studies department, was it described as a 30-minute interview to talk more about your application?

(I hope you are loving being back at Peabody!)

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2019 at 12:06 PM, neo12 said:

Hi birdy-bear, I realize this is several years after the fact, but when you were contacted about the phone interview / recruitment phone call for the Child Studies department, was it described as a 30-minute interview to talk more about your application?

(I hope you are loving being back at Peabody!)

Hi neo12, I too applied for the Child Studies program this year. I was wondering if you had heard anything? I have my phone interview on the 19th and am anxious.

Best of luck!

6 minutes ago, RR1202 said:

Hi neo12, I too applied for the Child Studies program this year. I was wondering if you had heard anything? I have my phone interview on the 19th and am anxious.

Best of luck!

Hi RR1202! I had my phone interview on January 16th, and I haven't heard anything since except for a general email saying that my application was still in process. From the interview, it seemed like I might hear something in the next week or two. Which track are you applying for?

Agreed that this is a stressful process! Best of luck, too!

2 minutes ago, neo12 said:

Hi RR1202! I had my phone interview on January 16th, and I haven't heard anything since except for a general email saying that my application was still in process. From the interview, it seemed like I might hear something in the next week or two. Which track are you applying for?

Agreed that this is a stressful process! Best of luck, too!

it makes me feel better that you haven't heard either LOL. I was put in contact with a current student after my interview, hoping that's a good sign. I've applied to the applied professional track,. how about you?

14 minutes ago, RR1202 said:

it makes me feel better that you haven't heard either LOL. I was put in contact with a current student after my interview, hoping that's a good sign. I've applied to the applied professional track,. how about you?

Haha yeah-- this is definitely early contact compared to the other programs I have applied to though. Yeah that seems good! I was planning/hoping to do that after I heard more definitive news. I applied to the clinical and developmental research track. I wonder if decisions go out at about the same time for the two

7 hours ago, asmith74 said:

I applied to the MPP program at Peabody and am anxiously waiting to hear back! Does anyone know when they are going to send out decisions on masters programs?

I get the email today,maybe now you also get the news?