Help me compile a reading list to combat the waiting game . . .

TheNewGuy

Fellow anthro-minded folks, help me compile a reading list! Articles, books, bring 'em on! As long as it has something to do with anthropology or culture, I'm all eyes (particularly interested in queer theory stuff).

Have finally recovered from the torture of undergraduate readings and have been able to read again for pleasure (I know, I know!). Picked up a new book (1491, recommended by the folks at the SYSK podcast), have been delving into readings from old classes (which I knew were interesting back when I was still taking those courses, but it's nice to have the luxury of time in order to better enjoy those interesting bits).

Edited by AnthroPhDHopeful

This is definitely causal, easy reading, but I loved The Bone Woman, by Clea Koff and Stiff, by Mary Roach! I have a few more suggestions, but I can't remember them, so I'll have to wait until I go home :)

I love Stiff . Right now a lot of my books are theory-based, so if you want to read theory, let me know.

You can also read literary works from the perspective of an ethnographer. Completely changes 1984 and Brave New World (did this in a course on propaganda).

56 minutes ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

I love Stiff . Right now a lot of my books are theory-based, so if you want to read theory, let me know.

You can also read literary works from the perspective of an ethnographer. Completely changes 1984 and Brave New World (did this in a course on propaganda).

I love everything related to theory, bring it on!

Thanks @phyanth for that recommendation! 

I'm on a kick of reading about old hurricanes and how people responded to them. More historical ethnography, and a little heavier on the meteorology,  but I liked it for that. So Storm of the Century by my man Al Roker is a great account of the 1900 Hurricane in Galveston, TX. 

7 hours ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

Have you read Ian Hodder, Arjun Appadurai? If you're feeling more adventurous, you could move into game theory and look over Ian Boellstorff for more recent things or go back to Huizinga for theory on play as culture.

Ian Boellstorff? Do you mean Tom Boellstorff? And omg...only read Hodder if you want to go insane. Lol.

I would recommend Dwellings: A Spiritual History of the Living World by Linda Hogan. Duke University Press publishes lots of anthropology books so maybe browse their website and choose a few? Of the ones I've read recently, I really liked Where the River Ends and Roots of Our Renewal

Yes, I'm just a pre-field student, but as far as I've read I can second the idea that Duke University Press is, in fact, where it is at.

What's your academic research library access like? If you're not currently affiliated with one, that adds constraints to your search that in a way make it easier, because there's fewer available options to comb through. I am a noted fan of JSTOR's three free articles a month policy...they hadn't adopted started doing that when I applied, but I'm happy to see the change anyway.

I'm doing this too, heading into STS and History of Science programs and applied to a few Theory-focused spots like Brown MCM and Berkeley Rhetoric, looking to study tech and national security stuff. In any case, I've complied some books that I'm trying to crank through rn and a few would fit your bill I think (tho admittedly I'm not an anthro guy so apologies if these are more in my stated wheelhouse):

Mushroom at the end of the world  by Anna Tsing (this is anthro so I figure it would definitely fit)

ExtraStateCraft by Keller Easterling (already read this, amazing!! but kinda Design/Architecture by trade tho there's plenty in there for everyone!)

Molecular Red and General Intellects by McKenzie Wark (def media theory, but also just packed full of cool stuff for everyone)

Code and Clay by Shannon Mattern (sorry I guess I'm listing mostly media theory stuff but I promise this one's a winner)

The Rule of Logistics by Jesse Lacavalier (about Walmart's tech system, crazy stuff)

Anyway, I'm just eager to share book suggestions, apologies again if these are outside of your area. All best and enjoy the waiting game!!.... meh the waiting game is boring lets play hungry hungry hippos!

13 minutes ago, Ajensetta said:

I'm doing this too, heading into STS and History of Science programs and applied to a few Theory-focused spots like Brown MCM and Berkeley Rhetoric, looking to study tech and national security stuff. In any case, I've complied some books that I'm trying to crank through rn and a few would fit your bill I think (tho admittedly I'm not an anthro guy so apologies if these are more in my stated wheelhouse):

Mushroom at the end of the world  by Anna Tsing (this is anthro so I figure it would definitely fit)

ExtraStateCraft by Keller Easterling (already read this, amazing!! but kinda Design/Architecture by trade tho there's plenty in there for everyone!)

Molecular Red and General Intellects by McKenzie Wark (def media theory, but also just packed full of cool stuff for everyone)

Code and Clay by Shannon Mattern (sorry I guess I'm listing mostly media theory stuff but I promise this one's a winner)

The Rule of Logistics by Jesse Lacavalier (about Walmart's tech system, crazy stuff)

Anyway, I'm just eager to share book suggestions, apologies again if these are outside of your area. All best and enjoy the waiting game!!.... meh the waiting game is boring lets play hungry hungry hippos!

Mushroom at the end of the World is amazing!!! I read that in undergrad.

Something that I'm reading for my quant class this semester is actually pretty interesting, if you're interested in reading about quantitative methods (in a way). It's called The Drunkard's Walk: How Randomness Rules Our Lives by Leonard Mlodinow.