Columbia Social Work Program Fall 2018

lanabeni

On 3/16/2018 at 2:34 PM, SSocial said:

I received my financial aid information this morning and I was approved for the reduced residency scholarship!! Columbia will pay HAlF of my tuition for the entire three years of me attending ( along as I continue to work at my current agency). I’m so happy!!

* still waiting on Hunter College before I make my final decision*

Congrats!!!! Question - have you calculated how much it is going to cost you with the reduced residency scholarship? When I calculated it, it looked as though it was coming out close to Hunter costs...

Hi friends! 

This thread has been very helpful to me in my application process to Columbia's SW program! I thought I'd try and be of any type of help to this thread as well. I submitted my application on 11/30/17, and I just found out about an hour ago that I was accepted into their 2-year traditional program and I applied to their SEA concentration. They've given me 30 days from today to respond with a decision. I will admit I was nervous for a while considering I submitted my application a long time ago. Hopefully you all hear a response soon. :)

2 hours ago, Holli82 said:

Congrats!!!! Question - have you calculated how much it is going to cost you with the reduced residency scholarship? When I calculated it, it looked as though it was coming out close to Hunter costs...

Yes, I did! For me when I calculated it, it’s actually about the same or a little less than Hunter (I’m not sure of all Hunter’s fee besides  the tuition). I was really surprised with Columbia so I immediately called the school to make sure it was accurate. The person I spoke with was very diligent and nice. She went through my whole financial aid package with me  over the phone. She answered all my repeated questions and while I was calculating, she was also calculated with me. We recalculated several times and we kept on getting the same total!!! I’m still shocked and surprised.

Have you gotten a decision yet from Columbia?

Edited by SSocial

12 minutes ago, Kathryn1994 said:

I received an email around 5:30pm today and I was wait listed! Not sure if this helps anyone if you're still waiting to hear

It’s always good to know that people are still receiving results! Were you happy to find out or annoyed that you still have to wait to find out if you get off the waitlist? Have you already made plans to go elsewhere?

5 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

It’s always good to know that people are still receiving results! Were you happy to find out or annoyed that you still have to wait to find out if you get off the waitlist? Have you already made plans to go elsewhere?

Yeah I already committed to Rutgers because thats where I wanted to go from the beginning and they also let me know 2 weeks after I sent in my application that I was admitted. Columbia turned me off by their application process and I was really happy I found this forum/website to see how other people were handling it. I am a little annoyed because I want to know what they are basing their acceptance/waitlist people off of. I thought I was a strong applicant and one of my references actually works at a mental health center that Columbia uses for fieldwork so she knows people at Columbia. Not saying this would definitely get me in and I didn't know this until after she sent her letter in, but I thought it could help. Columbia only needs you to get back to them if you want to be put on the waitlist and they will notify you in April if you are accepted which is insane and a little late in the game. I might email to thank them but tell them I committed elsewhere so they can give someone else a spot who wants it. 

7 minutes ago, Kathryn1994 said:

Yeah I already committed to Rutgers because thats where I wanted to go from the beginning and they also let me know 2 weeks after I sent in my application that I was admitted. Columbia turned me off by their application process and I was really happy I found this forum/website to see how other people were handling it. I am a little annoyed because I want to know what they are basing their acceptance/waitlist people off of. I thought I was a strong applicant and one of my references actually works at a mental health center that Columbia uses for fieldwork so she knows people at Columbia. Not saying this would definitely get me in and I didn't know this until after she sent her letter in, but I thought it could help. Columbia only needs you to get back to them if you want to be put on the waitlist and they will notify you in April if you are accepted which is insane and a little late in the game. I might email to thank them but tell them I committed elsewhere so they can give someone else a spot who wants it. 

Makes sense! Your experience seems all too common, unfortunately. But congrats on Rutgers, that’s awesome!

6 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Makes sense! Your experience seems all too common, unfortunately. But congrats on Rutgers, that’s awesome!

Thank you so much! And yeah, sadly it does. After reading through everyone's comments on this thread it seems that a lot are dealing with the same stuff. 

3 hours ago, Kathryn1994 said:

Thank you so much! And yeah, sadly it does. After reading through everyone's comments on this thread it seems that a lot are dealing with the same stuff. 

Congrats on Rutgers! Do you mind reminding me what program you were applying for? Possible stats or experience? 

Also, @doctormelody yes I have called twice! Been waiting since 11/30! Wild! Starting to be a big turn off...

7 hours ago, abswk said:

Congrats on Rutgers! Do you mind reminding me what program you were applying for? Possible stats or experience? 

Also, @doctormelody yes I have called twice! Been waiting since 11/30! Wild! Starting to be a big turn off...

Hi Yes! I applied for the 2 year traditional on campus. I would have commuted because I live right in NJ and it would have been a 45 min ride over the GW Bridge so not too too bad. I applied for the Family, Youth, and Children's Services field. While I was in undergrad I was actually a nursing major right up until my last semester. However, the stress of the program was too much and I wasn't happy. I was good at it, but quickly realized I could not spend my life working as a nurse. Seton Hall makes it easy for people to switch from nursing to social and behavioral sciences and all of classes counted. So I had one semester left. I was SOBS with a Sociology concentration. My GPA was also above a 3.0 and I graduated on Dean's List. I have also volunteered at Morristown Medical Center (one of the best hospitals in NJ) for over 2 years in the delirium prevention program. I go every Sunday and visit elderly patients and talk to them and help them complete activities that will help keep them mentally stimulated. In my essay, I focused on this experience as well as my people skills I learned while a nursing major and completing my clinical rotations for that. I hope to work in a hospital setting someday and many are not comfortable just walking into a hospital room and starting a conversation with a patient so I thought this helped make me a somewhat strong applicant. My volunteer work as well since I am communicating with the patient, their family if present, the doctors, and nurses. Hope this helped answer your question! :)

7 hours ago, abswk said:

Wow yeah that sounds super frustrating, I’m sorry. ?

21 hours ago, rosieposie said:

I'm in the exact same position, I got $18K as well.  I wonder if that's the standard scholarship they give out? As much as I love Columbia I can't stomach that much debt.

Yeah, my friend who goes there now also got 18k and lobbied for now and they denied her :/ she's there rn so she initially thought it was worth it but she's ending her first year and she's not too sure the debt was worth it anymore

Edited by heybakerena

20 minutes ago, heybakerena said:

Yeah, my friend who goes there now also got 18k and lobbied for now and they denied her :/ she's there rn so she initially thought it was worth it but she's ending her first year and she's not too sure the debt was worth it anymore

What didn't she like about the first year? Just wondering if it's similar to what other people have said.

14 hours ago, SSocial said:

Yes, I did! For me when I calculated it, it’s actually about the same or a little less than Hunter (I’m not sure of all Hunter’s fee besides  the tuition). I was really surprised with Columbia so I immediately called the school to make sure it was accurate. The person I spoke with was very diligent and nice. She went through my whole financial aid package with me  over the phone. She answered all my repeated questions and while I was calculating, she was also calculated with me. We recalculated several times and we kept on getting the same total!!! I’m still shocked and surprised.

Have you gotten a decision yet from Columbia?

That's what I thought! Awesome! 

I've still not heard anything. Getting a bit anxious now :/ 

13 hours ago, Kathryn1994 said:

I received an email around 5:30pm today and I was wait listed! Not sure if this helps anyone if you're still waiting to hear

wait sorry i just saw you already shared your stats! 

Edited by Olivia95

Does anyone know if Columbia Offers a study abroad program?

I know that Fordham and NYU does. For me Fordham is attractive because of the London study abroad option. I'm from London so it's be awesome to go back there to study.

18 minutes ago, Holli82 said:

That's what I thought! Awesome! 

I've still not heard anything. Getting a bit anxious now :/ 

When did you apply? When I called they told me it takes them 8-10 weeks to render a decision. I applied on the 15th of February, so they said I could expect to hear back by the third week of April. I know some priority applicants still have yet to hear back. I'm honestly guessing they haven't even read my application yet; if they had, I don't know why they wouldn't just get back to me soon after. Unless maybe they are waiting to send out rejections? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I don't know. I should probably stop trying to make sense of their process, but I can't help myself, lol.

1 hour ago, doctormelody said:

What didn't she like about the first year? Just wondering if it's similar to what other people have said.

She didn't like her placement, which can happen literally anywhere, but she also felt that Columbia isn't the big "social justice" institute it poses itself as. Many professors gloss over systemic issues and only teach it because they're required to, a lot of students are ignorant to systemic issues, which might just be a her problem bc she is a big activist, but she feels like she has to educate a lot of her peers on privilege and structural/institutional inequalities. 

4 minutes ago, heybakerena said:

She didn't like her placement, which can happen literally anywhere, but she also felt that Columbia isn't the big "social justice" institute it poses itself as. Many professors gloss over systemic issues and only teach it because they're required to, a lot of students are ignorant to systemic issues, which might just be a her problem bc she is a big activist, but she feels like she has to educate a lot of her peers on privilege and structural/institutional inequalities. 

That's good to know, thank you!