Columbia Social Work Program Fall 2018

lanabeni

6 minutes ago, Sunset95 said:

I live right outside of philly so I applied to UPenn (the really good school close to home), Temple (the safety school close to home), and nyu. Philly is also a great city for building those connections but there's just something about New York. I've always seen myself living there and I feel going to school there will help me make a better transition than just moving in general; especially in my field.

All sounds good to me! Have you heard anything back from either school?

9 minutes ago, JonoDuncan said:

All sounds good to me! Have you heard anything back from either school?

Acceptances from all so I'm just waiting to hear back from columbia?. What about you?

5 minutes ago, Sunset95 said:

Acceptances from all so I'm just waiting to hear back from columbia?. What about you?

That's great though! You already have three great schools to choose from! I was set on New York so I only applied to NYC schools. My original plan was to apply to Columbia, NYU, Fordham, and Hunter. But in the end, I only submitted applications to Columbia and NYU. Those were my top two choices and once I received that NYU acceptance early on with a good scholarship, I decided I didn't need to pay the extra money and take the extra time to apply to Fordham or Hunter. 

I'm still hopeful about going to Columbia but if I don't make it in, NYU is still a good plan b! 

24 minutes ago, JonoDuncan said:

That's great though! You already have three great schools to choose from! I was set on New York so I only applied to NYC schools. My original plan was to apply to Columbia, NYU, Fordham, and Hunter. But in the end, I only submitted applications to Columbia and NYU. Those were my top two choices and once I received that NYU acceptance early on with a good scholarship, I decided I didn't need to pay the extra money and take the extra time to apply to Fordham or Hunter. 

I'm still hopeful about going to Columbia but if I don't make it in, NYU is still a good plan b! 

That's great! And I'm still hopeful about Columbia as well. They're my number 1 so I know I would still accept even with all these games they keep playing?

2 hours ago, Sunset95 said:

I'm going to drive myself crazy trying to figure this out! I applied to the two year residential track on November 11 and people who applied to the 2 year residential track in February have already heard back so they can't possibly be going in order of applications received. I think I just need to let it go and focus on my other schools at this point.

I think it also has to do with concentration. What is yours?

@JonoDuncan I hope we find out soon!! ??

Edited by lost686girl

12 minutes ago, lost686girl said:

Hopefully this week! I honestly don't remember because I kept switching between two: international social welfare and current social problems. 

17 minutes ago, lost686girl said:

I'm doing the policy concentration. But even if they go by concentration, shouldn't it be concentration within priority applicants and then regular? Because seeing as they started admitting non-priority applicants I could've just waited to apply. It seems like it wasn't worth pressuring my LORs to get them in early.

9 hours ago, abswk said:

I called and the representative was very helpful, I asked a lot of questions... she said that all responses are going out in order of program and submission date. She said if people have been hearing back and you submitted before them, they did not apply for same program as you. Online and 2 year programs have heard back the most. Advanced standing has most batches to work through. She said all decisions have been sent out by date and program order and has nothing to do with strength of application. She said 2-3 more weeks for everyone to hear back from all programs. 

I applied to the 2 year program and have heard nothing <_<

I think I'm even more confused at this point. It makes sense if they admit by concentration, but are they going to differentiate residential vs. online, then are they going to differentiate between mental health vs family services, etc. etc.

I want to keep going with hope that it is just a complicated system that we don't truly understand, but if I see someone who got into online, clinical, mental health track applied after 12/1 then I'm going to call BS lol

Edited by lanabeni

35 minutes ago, lanabeni said:

I see a lot of social enterprise people...

Where my clinical people at? What have you been hearing? I applied online clinical 2 year, focus on health, mental health, and disabilities.

I applied clinical 2 year for the same concentration, but residential. 

3 minutes ago, lanabeni said:

I'm losing track of who got in and when they applied...lol

Did you get in and when did you apply?

It's understandable, there are a lot of us, lol. I applied 2/15 and I haven't heard back yet.

30 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

I applied clinical 2 year for the same concentration, but residential. 

Same... 2 year residential, clinical, mental health. I applied 2/15, so I was banking on not hearing back before April (and haven’t heard). 

26 minutes ago, lanabeni said:

That's just it, I haven't seen any clinical people really unless I'm missing them lol

Okay, I just re-read this entire thread because I have no life and I think @2733amh is the only clinical person that has heard back yet. I also think you're the only online clinical applicant on this thread, unless someone wants to correct me. So I wouldn't worry too much.

Edited by doctormelody

4 minutes ago, Chebrutta said:

Same... 2 year residential, clinical, mental health. I applied 2/15, so I was banking on not hearing back before April (and haven’t heard). 

Same, but the girl who was waitlisted a few days ago and who applied on 2/14 made me hopeful that all of us could be hearing back soon! I hope they get to the priority applicants first though, otherwise that would be really unfair.

1 hour ago, lanabeni said:

I see a lot of social enterprise people...

Where my clinical people at? What have you been hearing? I applied online clinical 2 year, focus on health, mental health, and disabilities.

Two-year clinical online here! I was waitlisted though.

4 minutes ago, frolikewhoa said:

Ah okay so we have another clinical person. But you applied the day before the deadline, right? I am super confused as to how they're going about this...

9 minutes ago, frolikewhoa said:

What specialization in clinical? Okay so a waitlist means they are out of spots at the moment. That means they have people who should know. I applied 12/1 and haven't heard anything.

Edited by lanabeni

4 minutes ago, lanabeni said:

Okay so a waitlist means they are out of spots at the moment. That means they have people who should know. I applied 12/1 and haven't heard anything.

Is that what it means? Didn't they just extend their deadline? Sorry to pepper you with questions, but I'm also confused as to what you mean by "people who should know..."

4 minutes ago, lanabeni said:

Yup, super confused because if someone was waitlisted that means they are filled up at the moment right? That doesn't make sense that there are people who don't know yet who applied before them lol

Never mind my last question, I see what you're saying now. I honestly feel like maybe you should call them... they're doing you a disservice by keeping you waiting so long. Where else did you apply?

5 minutes ago, Chebrutta said:

I’m sorry for the priority folks; this must be so frustrating. I really hope you all hear this week!!!

Me too! I can't imagine waiting since November or December, it's been less than three weeks for me and I'm already going crazy, lol.

10 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Never mind my last question, I see what you're saying now. I honestly feel like maybe you should call them... they're doing you a disservice by keeping you waiting so long. Where else did you apply?

I called on 2/23. It was still we will hear back the first weeks of March. She stated that no acceptances or rejections have been sent out. This would kind of line up with the person who said if others have heard back then they aren't from my program BUT then how come someone else was waitlisted then under my program? But we don't know if they break it down further by what specialization you do in your track which wouldn't make too much sense. I'm considering calling again, but I don't know if they track how often you call and shit and I would hate to be annoying even though at this point we should know if others are getting information.

To further add, last year people were hearing throughout March as well. So maybe we are overthinking something that is supposed to be happening like this lol

Edited by lanabeni