Columbia Social Work Program Fall 2018

lanabeni

12 minutes ago, goldenbear said:

Hello folks,

I've definitely been feeling the anxiety of waiting to hear back from Columbia so I created an account to let you all know that I received my acceptance about 15 minutes ago (2:50 PM PST). 

I didn't apply before the priority deadline so I'm thrilled to be hearing back so soon. Hopefully you all hear back soon as well. 

Congrats!! When did you submit? You must be a great candidate. 

Also, welp. Columbia was a fun dream but it’s too expensive for me anyway ?

18 minutes ago, goldenbear said:

Hello folks,

I've definitely been feeling the anxiety of waiting to hear back from Columbia so I created an account to let you all know that I received my acceptance about 15 minutes ago (2:50 PM PST). 

I didn't apply before the priority deadline so I'm thrilled to be hearing back so soon. Hopefully you all hear back soon as well. 

Congrats!!! When did you apply, if you don't mind me asking?

9 minutes ago, lost686girl said:

Congrats!! When did you submit? You must be a great candidate. 

Also, welp. Columbia was a fun dream but it’s too expensive for me anyway ?

4 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Congrats!!! When did you apply, if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you, thank you. :)

I submitted on 1/6. My final LOR was submitted 1/10, and I got the "Your Application is Complete" email on 1/26.

@lost686girl  I agree, it's very expensive. I'll have to wait and see what kind of aid they can offer me. I'm just glad the waiting is over. 

This is just so odd. I have a friend who is currently attending, and she received her acceptance last year less than two weeks after applying in early February.

At the same time, I don't feel like I have enough information to be able to tell if this is unusual for them.

17 minutes ago, lanabeni said:

Does the update on the portal appear on the first page after you login or does it appear after you actually go to your application? Curious where it is.

The update appears after you open up your application, right at the top (it will say "status update" with information and the date the update was posted. I was wait-listed today for the two year program! I finished my application on 2/14.

12 minutes ago, frolikewhoa said:

The update appears after you open up your application, right at the top (it will say "status update" with information and the date the update was posted. I was wait-listed today for the two year program! I finished my application on 2/14.

Thanks for the info! Rooting for you!

16 minutes ago, frolikewhoa said:

5 minutes ago, lanabeni said:

Now I'm wondering how often it happens where there is an update before an email goes out lol

I'm overthinking this when I should be working :ph34r:

Wait, yeah, actually, did you get an email today @frolikewhoa?

So I guess it's safe to assume since they've started admitting non-priority applicants that I should be expecting a rejection. I just wish they would say something instead of dragging it out and pretending there's some big holdup; that way I could pick which school I want to attend.

7 minutes ago, Sunset95 said:

So I guess it's safe to assume since they've started admitting non-priority applicants that I should be expecting a rejection. I just wish they would say something instead of dragging it out and pretending there's some big holdup; that way I could pick which school I want to attend.

Not necessarily. We have no idea how sending out acceptances works, what rejections look like, and if there is a process to how they send things out. You could always call, state this, and report back to us :ph34r:

Edited by lanabeni

14 minutes ago, lost686girl said:

i feel the same way @Sunset95, and i'll definitely be calling them tomorrow on my lunch break and will let ya'll know what i hear. 

I might call too. UPenn gave me until the 15th and nyu basically told me to stop asking for extensions so I really need to know what's going on asap?

15 minutes ago, Sunset95 said:

I might call too. UPenn gave me until the 15th and nyu basically told me to stop asking for extensions so I really need to know what's going on asap?

if you tell them about your two deadlines they may be able to update you sooner, especially since it seems all applications have been reviewed. either way, those are two great schools and wherever you end up going will be an awesome choice! what is your top choice so far?

4 minutes ago, lost686girl said:

@kypie that's fantastic i'm so happy for you!!!  :P

Thank you so much! Wishing the best of luck to you and everyone else on here! If it helps, I called them about a million times, so they probably got tired of me calling and sped up the process.....

21 minutes ago, lost686girl said:

if you tell them about your two deadlines they may be able to update you sooner, especially since it seems all applications have been reviewed. either way, those are two great schools and wherever you end up going will be an awesome choice! what is your top choice so far?

Columbia is(was?) my first choice because I really love the emphasis on policy, which is the arena I want to get into, and I want to be in New York. After that, the other two are tied. I'm torn between Penn's program and being in New York. 

4 minutes ago, Sunset95 said:

Columbia is(was?) my first choice because I really love the emphasis on policy, which is the arena I want to get into, and I want to be in New York. After that, the other two are tied. I'm torn between Penn's program and being in New York. 

Well the good thing is Penn/Philly is only an hour and half away. So it would be an easy move after school if you decide to go to Penn. I have a friend that is in Columbia's MSW program (advanced standing) and she tells me she wishes she would have gone to NYU instead.