Columbia Social Work Program Fall 2018

lanabeni

21 minutes ago, MSW2018?? said:

ugh. I took an entire class on Shakespeare. An entire class on Milton. I can't even get into it. I literally cannot wait to get back into the stuff I am interested in again. I honestly thought about transferring out halfway through to a BSW program, but I am on a full-tuition academic scholarship at my school so I just stuck with it anyway. This last year, since I became certain I wanted to be MSW, has been rough for me to stay motivated in this major. Did you get an admissions decision yet or your still waiting?

I haven’t gotten it yet but I only submitted my app on 2/15 so that isn’t surprising.

11 hours ago, rosieposie said:

Hey y'all, another long time lurker here. Just wanted to add my experience: I applied 11/27 and received my acceptance on 2/16, and as others have mentioned I have until 3/16 to respond. I contacted CSSW at the beginning of this week about financial aid & was told that I will have my financial aid information by 3/16 (still waiting though, lol) but regardless they gave me an extension until 4/3!

Hi congrats on your acceptance!! Did you call or email the school to ask for the extension? Thank you for the information regarding financial aid. You and I both got accepted on 2/16, so hopefully I will also get an email by 3/16 regarding my aid. 

21 hours ago, SSocial said:

Hi congrats on your acceptance!! Did you call or email the school to ask for the extension? Thank you for the information regarding financial aid. You and I both got accepted on 2/16, so hopefully I will also get an email by 3/16 regarding my aid. 

Hi! Congrats to you as well!! I sent an email to cssw-admit@columbia.edu and they replied super fast, but I still haven't received my aid package. 

On 3/9/2018 at 2:56 PM, MSW2018?? said:

I've been working as a substance abuse counselor since 2015 and love it. I had majored in English because when I graduated with my associate's I thought that I wanted to pursue teaching as well, but the longer that I stayed in the field I decided that I never want to leave it. So here I am, getting my MSW in the Fall. 

LOL another English major here! But I’m a career-changer; I’ve been teaching for the last 13 years. 

Is anyone else getting absurdly nervous about tomorrow/this week? My friend who is getting her MSW at Columbia right now is coming down to visit on Thursday and Friday, and I'm all paranoid I'm going to get notified that I was rejected while I'm hanging out with her, lol. 

Edited by doctormelody

11 hours ago, Chebrutta said:

LOL another English major here! But I’m a career-changer; I’ve been teaching for the last 13 years. 

Yes!! Awesome! What program did you apply for? So funny. If I pursued tewching, I would definitely be in your shoes switching gears years from now!

59 minutes ago, abswk said:

@doctormelody aw it’ll be ok!!! I can imagine that being even more nerve wracking!! I’m also extremely worried. The drawn out waiting process is making me question myself. Praying for good answers this week! Maybe tomorrow will be the day. 

Ah, thanks for the reassurance! I can imagine how waiting for months on end would do that. I hope you get good news very soon!

9 hours ago, MSW2018?? said:

Yes!! Awesome! What program did you apply for? So funny. If I pursued tewching, I would definitely be in your shoes switching gears years from now!

2 year, residential, mental health!

I love teaching & the kids... I don’t love being exhausted all the time, having to do most of my work after hours, never having time or energy to do volunteer work, and I especially don’t love the culture of testing. I make fewer connections with my students every year :( 

My stats are no where near as impressive as you guys - my mom had cancer when I was in undergrad, so I was driving home a lot and my GPA was less than amazing. I hope all these years in the work force can make up for that!

1 hour ago, Chebrutta said:

2 year, residential, mental health!

I love teaching & the kids... I don’t love being exhausted all the time, having to do most of my work after hours, never having time or energy to do volunteer work, and I especially don’t love the culture of testing. I make fewer connections with my students every year :( 

My stats are no where near as impressive as you guys - my mom had cancer when I was in undergrad, so I was driving home a lot and my GPA was less than amazing. I hope all these years in the work force can make up for that!

You have a lot of experience. That counts! When did you apply?

1 hour ago, OliviaRose said:

Hi friends, 

Just dropping in to say that I'm still waiting (impatiently) to hear back. I applied 12/15 advanced standing, social enterprise/school-linked services. Good luck to the other hopefuls and congrats to those who have been accepted!

Good luck to you as well! I really hope someone on this forum hears something today.

4 minutes ago, Sunset95 said:

I'll be checking in around 6pm est to see if anyone heard anything today

Same... just realized that another snowstorm is supposed to hit NYC this evening, but not until 8 pm, so I think there's a good chance they will send out some decisions today.

4 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Same... just realized that another snowstorm is supposed to hit NYC this evening, but not until 8 pm, so I think there's a good chance they will send out some decisions today.

Yeah, they should send some stuff out. Especially since it usually goes out between 5-6pm

Y'ALL. Okay, I just called, and the guy looked me up, and he said that it usually takes 8-10 weeks for a decision to come out... meaning I should expect to hear back the third week of April. :o I was not expecting that at all, but I guess that means that other people who applied on or around the 15th should expect to hear back then too? Wow. I really hope he was just erring on the side of caution...

9 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Y'ALL. Okay, I just called, and the guy looked me up, and he said that it usually takes 8-10 weeks for a decision to come out... meaning I should expect to hear back the third week of April. :o I was not expecting that at all, but I guess that means that other people who applied on or around the 15th should expect to hear back then too? Wow. I really hope he was just erring on the side of caution...

Well then by that timeline I should've heard back in January...?